Gargoyles Fan Fiction ❯ Wings And Things ❯ Fall Out ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter Three
Fall Out
 
I learned about the different gargoyles quickly. Goliath really was a sweetie, just like Elisa had said, and he was extremely protective of his clan (and Elisa). His daughter, Angela, was the result of his first love with Demona, who had come to hate humans and tried to destroy them multiple times. Angela was the polar oposite; she was just like her father. She also seemed to be falling for Broadway, the blue gargoyle with an apetite the size of Russia. Then there was Hudson, the eldest, who had been the clan leader before Goliath. The small green one was Lexington, and he had become obsessed with every piece of technology he could get his hands on. They also had a dog, kind of; Bronx, who was as loving as any other dog.
 
Brooklyn was like my best friend, especially since I hadn't made any human friends yet. I wasn't due to start work for a few days, so I spent all my time with Elisa during the day, and the gargoyles at night. The New York Comic Convention was to be my first day of work in the city, and Brooklyn was, as usual, geeking out about all the comics I'd be able to get my hands on. "The collector's edition of Blood and Blades, the special episode zero issue of Crash Kincade, the pin-up cover issue of Wonderhell-"
 
I laughed and shut his beak with both hands. "I think by now I've got your shopping list memorized, O Great Comic Collector."
 
"So where are we going tonight?" Brooklyn asked me, sitting beside me on my bed. We'd made it a ritual to go somewhere in the city every night, usually because he still had to go on patrol with the clan. He always patrolled wherever I wanted to visit, and he'd stopped three muggings since we'd started going out.
 
Wait. Going out? Totally not what I meant.
 
Anyway...
 
"Madison Square Garden?" I asked, looking up from my sketch of Ceres, a character from my series, Gods of Gaia.
 
"The roof or inside?"
 
I was taken aback for a moment. "You can get inside?"
 
"Uh, yeah, I've seen fourteen concerts there this year," he answered with a "duh" face. Damn, there's that eyebrow.
 
"I've never asked before, but do you steal all these comics too?" I wondered.
 
"Not exactly," he said, looking sheepish. "We take money from the crooks we catch, as long as it wasn't like a bank robber or something. Me and Lex break into the comic book store and take what we want, but we leave the money to pay for it behind."
 
I stared at him, then burst into laughter. "What's so funny?" he asked.
 
"Just imagining how the owner of the shop feels every time it happens," I answered. "Think he's figured it out by now? That you're a gargoyle?"
 
"Probably, but he doesn't seem to care much, since he hasn't upped the security at all," Brooklyn shrugged.
 
"Hey, I've just had a thought," I said suddenly, sitting upright.
 
"You shouldn't do that, you'll hurt yourself," he retorted.
 
"Ha freaking ha," I said with a roll of my eyes. "What if you pretended to be a person in a gargoyle costume and come to the convention with me?"
 
"Say what?" Brooklyn said with an odd look on his face. "Yeah, right."
 
"No, really! Fans dress up for conventions all the time, especially comic and anime cons," I explained. "No one would even think you were real, I'd imagine tons of people are going to be dressed as gargoyles because of the news stories-"
 
"You're really serious?" Brooklyn asked.
 
"Like a heart attack. That would get you two hours each night before the hall closes at ten o' clock," I said, watching his grin get bigger and biggger. "That's six, count 'em six, hours of comic geek goodness."
 
He suddenly jumped up and picked me up in one swift movement, swinging me about before hugging me excitedly. I felt myself redden as he put my feet back on the ground, his hands on my waist, my hands on his shoulders. After a long moment, I suddenly realized this and pulled back with a soft "ahem."
 
"So, uh... Still wanna go to MSG?" Brooklyn asked, still looking a little flushed as well.
 
"Yeah, definately," I answered, and we walked to the window and pushed it open. He picked me up again, the usual way we flew around, but for some reason I blushed once more. What's the matter with me?
 
We snuck into the arena through an air vent and settled up in the rafters to watch the remaining half of a concert. It took me a moment to realize who was on the stage. "Oh. My. God."
 
Brooklyn looked at me, eyebrow raised yet again, even though he knew I hated that. "You like these guys?"
 
"Uh, who doesn't?" I asked him "Fall Out Boy is amazing!"
 
"Yeah, I'm more of a Coheed and Cambria fan," Brooklyn said haughtily.
 
Suddenly a harsh voice came from behind us, "So the rumors about gargoyles sneaking in here were true."
 
We both turned and Brooklyn's eyes immediately started to glow white; a man stood behind us, his head covered with a hood and holding a large hammer over his head. Quarryman!
 
He took a swing at Brooklyn, who jumped at him and tackled him, knocking the hammer from his grasp. It slid to a stop near the edge of the rafters. I grabbed it to defend myself while the masked man and Brooklyn wrestled to the floor. The Quarryman let fly a well aimed kick to Brooklyn's head, and he went out. I let out a gasp that was impossible to hear over the sounds of the concert below. Then the man rounded on me.
 
"A traitor to your own species, little girl," he growled at me. I backed away as far as I could, nearly slipping off of the walkway. Then he swung at me.
 
I slipped off of the rafter with a startled yell, dropping the hammer back to the walkway floor. Then I heard a roar and there were arms around me; Brooklyn had woken and glided down to save me. Unfortunately there was no current of air to change course on, so the only place he could go was forward and onto the stage.
 
Panic ensued. Thousands of people screaming in unison, most of them high-pitched teenage girls, and the sound of them running away. Meanwhile, at least twenty security officers ran onto the stage and pointed guns at Brooklyn while the members of Fall Out Boy were ushered away to safety. "What about the girl?" I heard one of them shout.
 
Brooklyn set me down on my feet slowly. "Go on."
 
"No!" I said, then stood in front of him, my arms spread wide. "Don't hurt him!"
 
Then everything around us froze. The people in the audience in the midst of running, the security guards, and Patrick Stump's startled face all stoped mid-motion. "What the hell-"
 
A white whirlwind appeared before Brooklyn and I, and Brooklyn let out a groan. "Oh great."
 
I looked at him curiously, then watched as the miniature tornado came to a stop. The whirlwind revealed itself to be a young man, a teenager at most, with shockingly white hair that reached to his lower back. I gasped when I noticed his pointed ears. He was holding a baby, not quite a year old, who was smiling and watching everything with glee.
 
"And that, Alexander, is how you perform a freezing charm," the elf exclaimed brightly. He turned his attentions to Brooklyn and myself. "You spoiled my lessons you know," he said. "I was going to teach Alex about voice swapping, but you two beat me to the chaos."
 
"Oh, I'm so sorry," Brooklyn said with a roll of his eyes. "But thanks for saving our asses."
 
"You're just lucky I arrived and started my lesson before you became target practice," the elf grinned impishly and pushed a frozen guard, making him teeter back and forth.
 
"Who are you?" I asked suddenly.
 
"Why, did your dear cousin fail to mention me in her tales of gargoyles and magic?"
 
I suddenly understood who he was. "Puck."
 
"The one and only," he said, and bowed ridiculously. He then looked at the baby. "Now, Alex, can you show me what you remember about time reversal?"
 
Brooklyn and I made our way to the roof a few minutes later, after watching everything and everyone in the arena return to where they had been before the Quarryman had so rudely jumped us. We had been quiet the whole tedious climb up the stairs. I said as I climbed up into Brooklyn's arms, "I should just start getting used to this crap, right?"
 
"Yeah, probably."