Gensomaden Saiyuki Fan Fiction ❯ May It Be ❯ Speaking to the Dead ( Chapter 2 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

I told you there'd be yaoi, didn't I? Just as a general note, this story is going to start off very GojyoxSanzo oriented and then change over to GojyoxHakkai/SanzoxGoku later. Much later. Why? Eh. I don't know.

But yeah, yaoi in this chapter. Speculation, and guess what?! Nataku is still in a coma! Exciting. Joy. Have fun!

~Part 2~

::Speaking to the Dead::

It was late in the afternoon before Kai Lin had recovered enough from her shock that they could question her situation. What as a strange girl like her, though they hadn't phrased it quite like that, doing all alone in the wilderness? Didn't she know it was dangerous, with all the youkai about?

How did she know Goku? Who were Kenren, Tenpou, and -- most importantly -- who was this Konzen Sanzo apparently looked so much like?

Kai Lin was unsure how to answer them. Three men who had been reincarnated so many times, somehow -- in this life -- looking so much like the men they once were, that acted like they had so long ago... how would they understand their ranks and duties from five-hundred years before?

Only Goku looked truly intrigued by the girl, staring at her, thinking... the memory in his mind was as difficult to snatch as trying to capture a butterfly with a fishing net. Gojyo glanced at him, raising a brow. "Oi, saru. What's up with you?"

Goku just shook his head, not speaking. Hakkai frowned at this, then smiled brightly at the rather puzzled girl. "I'll make us something to eat. You'll have to excuse me if I make too much... Goku has quite the appetite, and--..."

"Don't worry about making as much as you usually do, Hakkai. I'm not hungry." Eyes turned to him in surprise as he hopped off his stool. "I'll be outside... I need to think..."

Everyone watched him silently as he trudged out of the room and Kai Lin, nervous and upset, hugged her knees to her chest. "This... I know what she told me, but I didn't want to believe it..."

"She?" Sanzo questioned lightly, trying as hard as he could not to sound too threatening. "Who is she?"

The Kirin started, turning her eyes to Kon--... no... Sanzo. "Oh... m--my adopted mother. She--..."

"Kai Lin, we don't have time for lies!"

The girl started, staring into Sanzo's face as if it has been his hand and not his words that had struck her. Then, her jaw trembled. Too much had happened... she didn't know how to tell them what she was, who had sent her...

She burst into tears. "You should all be dead..."

Gojyo was on his feet, ready to grab his longarm, before Hakkai's calm hand stopped him. "Gojyo, no. I think there's more to this..." He rested his hand atop her head and Kai Lin shivered. His touch was much like Tenpou's. "Kai Lin. What do you mean?"

"Five hundred years ago..." the child murmured through her tears. "Douji Konzen, killed on the night I chose my sovereign for the very first time... Son Goku, imprisoned for 500 years in a cave as a punishment... they thought he killed Konzen. I don't... I don't remember what happened to Tenpou and Kenren. Tenpou, though... he was my tutor. He was very smart, and he was gentle and always smiled. He and Kenren were lovers. Kenren was very flashy and brash... there were few that liked him. Except for Nataku, Goku, and myself... but Konzen..." She turned her face to Sanzo, tears streaming down her face and showing no signs of stopping. "Konzen was so... so different. Konzen had a harsh gaze that could cut through any man. Konzen was strong and demanding. Everyone feared Konzen, if they knew what was best for them..." She sniffled harshly. "Except for we kids."

The room fell silent as three men struggled with what the girl had just said. Sanzo looked at her with a hint of confusion, though his voice did not show it. "Sovereign? Then you..." He nodded. "Sou ka. You're a Kirin." The girl nodded meekly. "I should've thought as much. That diadem contains your power, just like Goku's contains his."

"But why should you have been afraid ta mention that to us, Kai Lin? Three of us here are demons..." Gojyo paused, correcting himself. "Or at least two and a half of us. And Sanzo's the human one." His head tilted to one side. "And what does it have to do with us?"

A deep sigh escaped Kai Lin's lips as she started to calm down from her weeping. "You'll learn, all in due time..."

*****

"You don't just walk up to a Kirin and capture it!"

Kougaiji was on a tirade. The orders he had been given by Gyukomen were to find the fallen Kirin, capture it, and bring it back to the castle. A task which was much easier said than done. Ririn, Yaone, and Dokugakuji all watched the prince pace back and forth, ranting about the ridiculous nature of the current task, and how even Gyumao himself wouldn't be able to capture the elusive Holy Beast.

Yaone frowned, biting her lip, before stepping foreward a little. "Kougaiji-sama... there is a possibility..."

Fiery violet eyes turned on the young female youkai, burning at her through mussy strands of red. "What?"

A small sound of surprise before she continued, shakily. "There is a possibility the Kirin could've taken a human form using a limiter. And if that is the case, then it will make it much easier to capture."

Kougaiji's pacing stopped. The woman's words made sense. As he stood, thoughtfully, Ririn bounded over and latched onto his side. "So are we going to try to capture the Kirin, onii-chan?"

As if coming out of the issues he had been suffering from, Kougaiji smiled, placing his hand in the thick orangish tresses. "*You* are staying here. Yaone... watch Ririn for me."

"Of course, Kougaiji-sama."

"Mo~ou!!" Ririn was not happy with this turn of events. "Onii-chan, that's not fair!"

Kougaiji would've laughed at the hilarious picture the girl made, fists clenched and cheeks puffed, if it wasn't so horribly out of character. "I promise, Ririn, that I'll take you out myself later, once we bring back the Kirin. All right?"

For a moment, the child did not look convinced... but then, her face brightened and she nodded, glomping her brother. "Hai! Honto ka da~ai suki, onii-chan!"

*****

(past)

"Goku!"

Goku cringed as he heard that voice yelling. Konzen wasn't happy again, though for what reason, he wasn't sure. He hadn't made Nataku and Kai Lin dirty again... Nataku was napping, and Kai Lin was studying with Tenpou. Instantly, he darted towards the voice, following it until he was inside the garden.

And there stood Konzen. He was looking around with a worried expression, as if trying to find... "Goku! There you are!" The man jogged over to him, sandals making a strange slapping noise against the floor. "I couldn't find you..." He sounded almost... relieved?

"H--Hai... is something wrong, Konzen?"

That fleeting moment was gone as quickly as it had begun, and instantly, Konzen looked furious. "Where have you been?! I thought you wanted to go on that picnic today, with Kenren, Tenpou, and those other two runts!" Only Konzen could get away with saying that. "Come on, then, let's get you ready!"

As Konzen started to walk, Goku's small hand shot out, grappling the long ponytail that swung down Konzen's back. And he followed that way, holding on, never letting go until he had to...

And for once, Konzen didn't seem to mind.

*****

(present)

Goku awoke with a start. Had he been lounging in a tree that whole time? Rubbing his eyes groggily, he tried to remember the dream he'd just had... but found no vestiges of it lingering. Just a voice...

"Goku!"

Sanzo was yelling again. Instantly, the boy jumped from the tree and headed towards where he heard the voice, only to find Sanzo starting to look around. Goku glanced at the sky. Dusk already? He had slept that long?

"Goku, there you are! You had me--..." The monk paused, then frowned, giving Goku a sturdy smack with his fan. "How many times have I warned you not to run off on your own?!"

Goku whined pathetically, rubbing his head and looking up at the frustrated blonde. "Maa, Sanzo! I told you I was going outside to think! Why'd ya hafta hit me so hard?!"

Sanzo only grumbled, moving back towards the inn.

*****

Gojyo was not in a good mood. As trying a day as it had been, the saru had to go and get himself lost. And of course, the tiny terror that was the Holy Kirin... Kai Lin. By this point, he was smoking like a chimney and watching his companion and lover sit on the bed and puff on a cigarette as if it was his last. Sanzo was in an even worse mood than he was.

Finally frustrated by the blond's irate attitude, Gojyo moved foreward, cupping the side of a lily-soft face in a tanned hand. "It's the kid, isn't it?"

Sanzo's hand was up in an instant, shoving away Gojyo's as accusing amethyst eyes turned on him. "It has nothing to do with that annoying child. I was just thinking."

"About the kid. She's struck a bad chord with you, hasn't she, Sanzo?"

The other man paused, staring harshly at the ruby eyes that were so close to him. "...She knows things we don't, Gojyo. She's practically a goddess, for fuck's sake. But all she has to say is "we'll learn in due time"?! Fuck that!"

Gojyo grinned, leaning foreward and brushing his lips lightly across the monk's. At Sanzo's surprised glance, he only smirked. "You're beautiful when you're pissed."

A hand went for the fan, but Gojyo caught his wrist deftly in a grip all too familiar with the movement. Sanzo glared at him. "Let go of me."

"You're worrying too much about that little runt. She's scared to death, and even I know she's right. We aren't meant to know what's going on just yet. So..." He shifted his weight, deftly pinning a surprised Sanzo to the bed. "...it's best to just relax."

Sanzo glared up at him, his fists clenching and unclenching in the sheets, watching Gojyo's expression carefully. Lust was written all over the fine lines of the half demon's face. Lust he knew all too well. "And what are your thoughts, then? If you're so certain she's right?"

Gojyo's hand was already questing through the heavy robes, running over the tight black bodysuit and causing shivers to run through the monk's body. "I think we should wait it out. But that's just this kappa's opinion." Practiced lips pressed to a pulse point and Sanzo's whole body shook. "Hm. I think you're loosening up nicely..."

A growl escaped Sanzo's lips as he attempted to get himself free of the kappa's hold, unsuccessfully. The growl itself only presented another opportunity, and Gojyo's lips closed over his. He would've freed himself easily, but in all due truth, Sanzo was open to the idea of assisted calming and Gojyo's assertive lips and tongue were enough to do just that...

*****

Goku sighed as he walked around outside, close to the inn. He didn't want to wander too far for fear that he'd upset Sanzo again...

A figure bolting past him, however, caught his attention. The little mandarin dress, the headband, the bright golden eyes and long fiery blue hair... Kai Lin?

Ignoring his previous idea to not upset Sanzo, Goku took off after the running girl, anxious to see what she was upset about. She was just like him sometimes, he realized. Afraid to be around others when she was distraught... afraid of hurting her friends more than anything. He picked up pace. She was awfully fast for such a little girl.

And apparently, she had no intentions of stopping until she was long gone from this town. Goku didn't like having to resort to this, but...

He lept. As far as he could. Once he had a firm grip on the girl's waist, he twisted so that she landed atop him when they fell. She shrieked a little in shock, but blinked when she realized who she was laying on top of. "G--Goku!"

"Hi, Kai Lin. Why're ya runnin'?"

The girl looked away, ashamed and frightened. "I can't stay there. Too many memories... I thought I could handle it, but..."

Goku tilted his head to one side, watching her expression carefully. There were tears in her eyes. Frowning, he hugged the girl close. "I want to remember. I really do, Kai Lin. I don't know why I can't..."

Kai Lin blinked, then hugged her friend in return, beginning to cry in earnest. Goku blinked in shock, but didn't let her go. She was just like a little kid in a strange aspect. Alone and scared of what was happening, not knowing where to turn or who to turn *to*. She buried her face against his shoulder, trying to hide her own tears. "I'm so sorry, Goku... I want you to remember too..."

*****

The heavens were quiet as for once, Kanzeon Bosatsu sat with her feet in the water. She was intensly frustrated, though for what reason, even she didn't know. She furrowed her brow, then glanced back at the still comatose Nataku, his lifeless golden eyes staring blankly out over the endless field of lotus blooms. "Your fiancée is finally learning how it must have felt for Goku all this time... I wish she didn't have to learn the hard way like this..."

Idly, the god stood, kicking water from her feet gingerly as she stepped over to the throne and leaned against it, looking down at the Dragon Prince with a certain deal of sympathy. Quietly, she tilted her head and touched his cheek. "This will be a long and trying situation, for all of you... Konzen... Kenren... Tenpou... Goku... Nataku and Kai Lin. You will be together again... but not without trials." A sigh. "I hope all turns out well."

*****

Hakkai was a little more than pleased when he found Goku and Kai Lin just outside the city that night. The two kids were getting along better than he had expected, what with Kai Lin being so frightened and Goku being so confused. He found them leaning against a tree, Goku hugging a curled up Kai Lin. It was so precious a picture he almost hated to wake them. With a sigh, however, he did as was necessary and gingerly shook Goku's shoulder. The boy turned groggy eyes to him, blinking out the heaviness of sleep. "Hn? Oi, Hakkai... wha...?"

"It's getting cold out here. You two will get sick if we stay out here too long. Can you carry Kai Lin? We're going inside."

Goku nodded a little as he stood, gathering the petite mass of Kai Lin into his arms and starting to walk. "Un. Na, Hakkai... why can't I remember anything?"

A sigh came from Hakkai and he shifted his eyes to his young companion. "I don't know, Goku. I really don't. She seems to know things about the rest of us as well..."

There was no response from Goku. Only a nod as they approached the inn, completely unaware of the figure approaching through the shadows...

~Tsuzukeru...~