Gensomaden Saiyuki Fan Fiction ❯ Return To Innocence, Again ❯ Never Drown, Again ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Return To Innocence, Again
The Continuation and The Previous Work
A Gensomaden Saiyuki Fanfiction By enervate

Return To Innocence, Again.
The Sequel to Return To Innocence

Part One / Three :: Never Drown, Again.

Goku bit his lips. "Damn liar..." He cursed silently as he slammed the door shut, sulking. Okay, now it has been the whole day,... "..continue this later"... what does he mean? He ask me to figure it out,... well, as stupid as I ever admit that I am, all I could comprehend from that damn sentence is that he will continue what we are doing THEN,... that is... well,... damn him!

Goku was frustrated. He could not understand. Everything was such a sudden whirlwind; he was merely caught up in that daze. That chimerical assault upon the sanity of his mind. That alluring moment that became past tense, and will it ever become present tense?

Damnable world, damnable hell, damnable emotions,...

Well,... everything was cynical at first. Since when did Genjo Sanzo ever let down his icy facade, especially in front of his own disciple,... and to even surrender to the things that happened on this very morning... That was unbelievable. As much as Goku tried to figure out why all of this happened, his head throbbed. A mild headache began to form since the afternoon... and Goku could not stand it. Arrgh!

Dear reader out there, would you believe everything you've read in the previous two chapters? Will Genjo Sanzo actually do such things? Even Goku here is confused... Do you believe those things actually happened?

Goku thought it was a mere dream. He pinched himself. Ouch. Fine, he did feel the pain.

So he wasn't dreaming. Neither were you, dear reader.

So, can anyone decipher what Genjo Sanzo mean with his sentence "I'll continue this later."?

Continue? So when is exactly 'later'? I am feeling much lonely here,... Goku stared out melancholically from the window, watching the moonlight resonated in the silver-studded skies. Everything is driving him crazy. His heart throbbed in pain,...

... why suddenly all this sensation?

Goku shook his head. Crazy,... honestly I did not feel this way before,... it is just that... since that thing this morning,... it is bugging me since then,...

It felt nice to be hugged, loved, and cared for,... even for that ephemeral second it is worth more than anything I've ever own in this half-millennium of my life...

... especially after 500 years of isolation, of hunger, of that prison, of that craving for love, of that lost affection....

Maybe that is why I want it all, back again.

Goku sighed as he began to understand the core of his own tumult, his own chaotic emotions. So he felt deeply disappointed when nothing occurred through the whole day... and now as night falls, nothing changed. It resembled a typical day in the Sanzo-ikkou...

except for today's morning,... now that is different...

Goku dropped his weary body onto the inviting bed. Slowly, he turned around and hugged the coverlets.

During the morning, after agreeing to let go of Sanzo,... it is just the usual routine. Breakfast,... leave the inn,... travel some damn miles,... bash demons,... lunch hour,... another demon-bashing session,... reach another town,... check into another inn,... dinner,... free time,... bed time,...

And then it will be tomorrow.

Goku groaned. Maybe 'later' was never meant to be. Maybe he shouldn't have let Sanzo go. He would rather starve to keep that one second,.... forever.

* * *

"Well, I am sure that Sanzo is a man of his words,... so I bet that they are still together." Hakkai commented as both he and Gojyo played cards silently in Gojyo's room. Sitting on Gojyo's bed, they played card while chatting about what they witnessed during the morning. Somehow the topic of Genjo Sanzo in bed with Goku is much a news too shocking to be true,... and the news still lingered in their minds.

Gojyo grinned, and showed his hand. "Straight Flush!" He declared triumphantly, setting his cards down onto the bed. "I guess you have something higher, Hakkai?" Gojyo questioned, curious. Despite knowing it very well that almost nothing can beat a Straight Flush, he had an anticipation that Hakkai will win, because Hakkai, the luckier one always, wins every card game he plays.

"Sumimasen,... [Sorry,...]" Hakkai smiled. "What?? You have a better one??" Gojyo groaned as he slapped his forehead. "You,... you,... don't tell me you actually have a Royal Flush!" Gojyo said, gritting his teeth. Hakkai shook his head. "No? Then? A higher value set of Straight Flush?" Gojyo asked. Hakkai shook his head again.

"Wait,... don't tell me.... you lose this time?" Gojyo's eyes widened as Hakkai revealed his hand. A Full House. Gojyo did not know whether he should laugh, cry or faint. Hakkai grinned at the sight of Gojyo's expression. "Well,... unexpected?" Hakkai commented as he picked up the cards and shuffled again.

"... yes." admitted Gojyo. "Well, that isn't you, Hakkai. What happened? You will win, unless you did not concentrate... wait,... you are wondering about something, aren't you?"

"Well,..." Hakkai blushed suddenly. Gojyo grinned. Bingo. "Ah, so what is bothering my friend here?" Gojyo slapped the back of Hakkai, winking. Hakkai gave a light laugh. "Well, you got me there, Gojyo... but don't you think that Sanzo and Goku,.. together,... seems weird?"

"Weird? In what sense, Hakkai? One is a corrupt monk, one is an idiotic monkey.... both of them are supposed to be soul mates of some kind,... so what I care? Ah,... monk,... monkey,... hey, it rhymes!" Gojyo grinned again. "No wonder they are an appropriate match."

"Hmm,... but I am worried about Goku, to be true..." Hakkai said. Gojyo frowned. "Why?"

"Well, either I am extremely sensitive or it might have been just my imagination, and it is just too early to judge,... but didn't you notice a difference in Goku?" Hakkai said softly. Gojyo raised his eyebrow. "What is it?"

"Well,... hmm,.... okay,.... did both of you fight today?" Hakkai asked. Gojyo answered "No."

"Okay,... how much did he eat?" Hakkai asked again. Gojyo frowned. "Lesser than usual?"

"Okay,... now, did Sanzo whack him with the white fan?" Hakkai smiled. Gojyo's frown deepened. "No..."

"Okay, so how weird is it?" Hakkai concluded. Gojyo's eyes widened. "So,... wait wait wait..." He frowned. "Hakkai, it is too early to judge anything yet..."

"Well, I just can't help thinking that something is amiss. Furthermore, knowing Sanzo and all, he doesn't seem to be someone who is willing to let himself up for such things." Hakkai explained.

"But,... either way,..." Gojyo's attention adverted from the conversation to their game as Hakkai dealt the new set of cards. Picking up his cards, Gojyo stared at the five cards in deep concentration. Hmm,... not bad,.. if Hakkai is so obsessed with that issue I might as well as set a winning streak upon him... Ah! I have an even better idea here...

"Hakkai?"

"Hmm?" Hakkai looked up from his cards. Gojyo grinned. "Want to place a bet on this game?"

"What kind of bet?" Hakkai asked, smiling. "Well, the winner gets to ask the loser for something. How about it?"

"Agreed. Hmm, but I warn you, Gojyo, I have only as much as a few hundred dollars in my account." Hakkai exclaimed. Gojyo nodded. "Okay." So I will earn something here,... heh,... that silly Hakkai...

Gojyo and Hakkai began playing. Cards were swapped across the bed, the deck thinned and sounds of frustrated sighs and triumphant grins scattered across the room. Gojyo analyzed his cards. Chances... chances... okay,... I guess I'll be able to get a four-of-a-kind... just another... Idly he reached out for the deck, eyes still trained upon his hand of cards. Suddenly his hand brushed against Hakkai's when both of them reached out for the deck. Gojyo looked up in surprise. But what that made him jump was not the mere contact of their hands; it was because of Hakkai suddenly clutching his hand. And when ruby eyes met emerald ones,...

The emerald eyes were staring at those ruby ones in a glazy way, in a deep and enigmatic gaze,...

"Hakkai! What the hell are you thinking?"

"Huh?" Everyone returned to reality. Hakkai blushed. "Oh,... well, urm,... your turn, Gojyo." Gojyo almost laughed at the sight of Hakkai blushing furiously before him, resembling a beetroot, or even worse, the color of his own red eyes. "My turn? My turn to what, Hakkai?" Gojyo snapped back lightly. "My turn to look at you with those kind of expression?" Gojyo mimicked Hakkai's dazed look. Hakkai scowled silently. "No. Your turn. In cards, not that!"

"Okay! Prepare to lose, Hakkai." Gojyo grinned as he picked his card. Ah ha!

"Four-of-a-kind." Gojyo exclaimed victoriously. Hakkai smiled. "Sumimasen,..."

"What? Sorry because you lose?" Gojyo grinned. Hakkai shook his head. "Royal Flush." Gojyo stared at the cards. Amazing,...

Oh my god! I just bet with him,... oh damn it! I was so sure at that moment,... I know I will win! But now,...

Oh shit,... fucking hell...

Gojyo silently swore in his heart as he closed his eyes, gritting his teeth. He could not imagine that! He should have known better anyway. Hakkai will definitely win in the end. Yes, maybe their previous game proved him wrong, but it will be much too bizarre if Hakkai lost out straight.

Suddenly Gojyo felt his lips touched something soft. What the.... WHAT???? Gojyo could only stare in disbelieve as Hakkai's weight fell upon him, the latter's lips tightly locked into his. Gojyo was too aghast to even reply that kiss. What the fuck! What the hell is Hakkai thinking???????

Gojyo pushed Hakkai away gently. "Hakkai, why... suddenly..." Gojyo could not bring himself to ask. He was utterly astonished. But in front of him, Hakkai seems to take the pleasure in watching Gojyo's stunned expression. With his usual smile he answered. "Gojyo, you've lost."

"Arrgh! Damn it, I know! But why kiss me suddenly??" Gojyo glared at Hakkai. What that irked him was the fact that Hakkai could even smile at such a thing...

Hakkai laughed. "Well,..." His eyes twinkled. "You said that the winner gets to ask the loser for something.. and now,... I'm asking you for..." Hakkai pulled Gojyo close, and placed his lips upon Gojyo.

Gojyo couldn't help smiling. Idiot... what a stupid bet,... shouldn't have done that... Gojyo pulled Hakkai closer, devouring his lips slowly. We have all the time in the world,.. so why hurry? He could feel Hakkai's hand tugging at his arms, clutching him tightly as the kiss deepened. Gojyo pinned Hakkai onto the bed, pressing his body against the other's. A thousand sensations drowned him as he seek deeper access into Hakkai. Carelessly he ran one hand through Hakkai's silky dark brown hair, while the other tightly cupping Hakkai's face. Hakkai could only writhe his hands around Gojyo's waist. He was too engulfed in that kiss to even change his position.

Gojyo did not know why Hakkai did this all of a sudden, but he had to agree that this is indeed a nice way to spend the night. That Hakkai! Seemingly stupid and all chastised but,... damn him. Gojyo pulled away from the kiss. Hakkai stared at him in a drunken way, smiling stupidly. Gojyo grinned. "Ah, so you wanted this? Damn you,... I never knew that you are this sly!"

"Well, you seem to be enjoying yourself too." Hakkai mentioned. Gojyo frowned. "Do I look like I am?" Silently he added, "Well, damn it, I am enjoying it,... so? What are you going to do,... make me admit it? I know there are many times when I had this stupid feeling just to grab you and kiss you but hell, I knew it will be wrong,... and guess what? Now YOU are the one who is doing that... idiot. I swear that you will not get away from this so easily,... Hakkai.

"Yes." Hakkai said, smiling. "Hmm,... I don't understand why you say this is enjoyable, Hakkai,... but..." Gojyo bent down closer to Hakkai.

"... if you want to know my definition of 'enjoyable',..." Gojyo's voice dropped to a whisper. His hands slowly unbuttoned the first button on Hakkai's shirt. "... I'll show you."

Gojyo started unbuttoning the second one as he planted another passionate kiss on Hakkai's lips, but something bothered him. Hakkai kept on staring at the door.

"Hmm? What is it, Hakkai?" Gojyo asked, curious. Hakkai suddenly looked up, and blushed. "Ah? Oh, sorry. I,... I think I'd better shut the door properly." He got up, and hurried to lock the wooden door. Gojyo doubled back in laughter. "Hakkai, you paranoid person..."

"Well, I don't fancy being interrupted... like how we interrupted Sanzo and Goku in their room..." Hakkai commented wryly. Gojyo walked towards Hakkai, and gently placed his arms around Hakkai's waist. He leaned his head on Hakkai's shoulder slowly, and smiled.

"Well, no one is going to interrupt now,..." And when their lips came into amorous contact, Hakkai melted like a butter in the sun.

* * *

Goku almost jumped when he heard that sound.

What? A knock? In the middle of the night?

Wait,... the middle of the night? And I am still awake??? God...

So I have spent almost two hours lamenting on that stupid 'Later' word....

Wait,...

Another knock. Knock. Knock. Knock.

"Coming!" Goku answered, and got off his bed. "Sanzo?" he asked hopefully when he opened the door. His eyes lit almost the instant,...

... but when he saw who it truly was, his eyes dimmed.

Hakkai bit his lip. Did he hurt Goku somehow?

"Hakkai, oh,... urm,.. why are you here?" Goku asked, trying to keep himself cheerful. Hakkai smiled. "Hmm, not much. Can I come in?"

"Sure." Goku let Hakkai in, and closed the door behind them. Hakkai settled himself on a chair. Goku climbed back onto his bed.

"Goku,... I'm sorry." Hakkai began. Goku looked at him in surprise. "Sorry? For what?"

"Well, I know that you feel hurt. I'm sorry if I am not the one you are expecting at such time of the day." Hakkai said, smiling. Goku sighed. "It is all right, Hakkai. I am not hurt." Despite the words spoken, his voice betrayed him. Goku's lips quivered.

"Goku,... I do not know whether I should tell you this or not,... but..."

"What is it? Just tell."

"Well,... from my experience knowing Sanzo and all,..." Hakkai sighed, and continued. "... it is surprising to see him engaged in such things, with others... I am not surprised to see him together with you, but, nonetheless no one expect Sanzo to actually show his affections."

"I have to admit, Hakkai, I am extremely surprised too." Goku confessed, grinning. "But Hakkai,... urm,..." Goku paused, tentative of continuing his words. More than often he seek words of advice from Hakkai. He have to admit, Hakkai is someone whom everyone can turn to. More than often he did talk to Hakkai about his concern on Sanzo, and many times Hakkai did give good advices. So why not now?

"Yes, Goku?"

"Well,... honestly,... urm,... I am even more surprised at my own self. I never know that I have such a possessive feeling over someone... During this morning when it all happened,... it is as though as I had turned into another monster... All I remembered is that dreadful feeling of wanting, of possession,... all I know is that I want Sanzo badly..."

".. and although that feeling vanished after that,... but now I am longing for it again,... oh hell, I don't know, Hakkai!" Goku clenched his fists in silent fury. Hakkai could only stare at Goku in sympathy. Goku had always been the young one of the group,... and now, to experience such traumatic change in the state of his mind....

His innocence is gone. Sanzo, you broke that shield of innocence...

Hakkai felt sorry for Goku. Did Sanzo really break that innocence in Goku? Had he shattered that piece of delicate glass that was Goku?

"It is all right, Goku. The feeling you had, yes, it is all right..." Hakkai comforted Goku slowly. Goku looked up, and stared at Hakkai. "Then tell me, Hakkai,... why Sanzo said nothing since then???"

"Well,... Goku, I am sure that he has a reason for it. After all, he has a reason for everything he does." Hakkai said, smiling. Goku bit his lips. Somehow, Hakkai's words made sense.

"Goku, all I want to advice you is that Sanzo is still Sanzo. He might have been that man with the icy expression, but deep in every heart there is a hidden sense of belonging. Goku, don't love Sanzo just for some mere gestures. Don't want Sanzo just for some kiss or deeper affection. But, Goku,... love him for the person he is, love him the way you love him before."

Goku was silent as Hakkai's words sank into the depths of his mind. Everything Hakkai said was true. The obsession he had during the few hours was because of the kisses and touches that drove him insane. Maybe those were illusions of his infatuation... maybe it was just a moment that slipped between them,...

I should love Sanzo for him,... not because of the fact that I want to feel him so close to me...

Goku nodded, smiling. "Thank you for the advise, Hakkai." Hakkai smiled, glad that he cheered Goku up. "Better go sleep, Goku. The next trip will take almost a week before we'll be able to reach the next town. It will be days before you get a proper bed to sleep on. Get some rest now."

"Okay." Goku nodded, smiling. "Good." Hakkai said.

"Well,... I guess that this morning will never happen again." Goku said, sighing. Hakkai smiled as he exited the room.

"Don't be too sure, Goku. It might repeat. Deja vu." Hakkai winked as he closed the door behind him.

..... I wish it will be...

* * *

Hakkai closed the door behind him, now in his room, and sighed as he leaned against the door. This is one crazy day...

First, Gojyo and I caught Sanzo and Goku involved in something nasty,...

Then, silence between Sanzo and Goku for the whole day...

Then the card game with Gojyo...

Hakkai blushed almost immediately.

Then...

Oh well, after that thing, a chat with Goku,... and finally he seems better...

Now I can sleep in peace...

* * *

"Ikuzo." Came that usual voice. That same intonation, not wavered by nothing...

Goku nodded, determined to wait, if 'Later' ever comes,...

And the little green jeep sped off into the wilderness, into blankets of snow white that will envelope the few days ahead with nothingness, except for a straight, mundane and monotonous routine...

Goku bit his lips. I will wait, no matter what. And I will love him for him, no matter what...

But albeit all promises I'm making here,...

I still wish that he will pick me up again, gently, and hold me close...

... just like that night.

* * *

Sanzo frowned, his usual frown even deeper than usual. The somnolent journey is wearing him out, and he is getting more and more irritable. He did not need to turn around, but he could feel Goku's impatience there. At least,...

At least that baka saru did not continue sulking like that day,...

He continued to fuss about being hungry, continued fighting with Gojyo...

And I get to fire my gun and whack him with that white paper fan,..

Sometimes I wonder, how long am I supposed to do this? I am tired, Goku, I am truly tired myself...

I do not want to do all these stupid actions.

I do not want to whack you with that white fan,...

I do not want to fire the gun in your direction,...

I only want to tell you that you mean a lot to me.

But I couldn't.

How am I supposed to tell you that those fan slaps are merely symbols of my affection?

How am I supposed to tell you that I never mean to threaten your life with that spirit-ascending gun?

How am I supposed to tell you that you are everything?

.........

I am much disappointed that I lost the guts to hold you again,... just like that day when both of us were just so close...

No, I do not want to break that innocence...

NO!

All I ever wanted...

... is to watch you sleep softly in my arms,... and to surround you in my love.

So,...

Genjo Sanzo sighed.

... please understand,...

I never mean to keep this silence forever...

More than angry words,... I hate this silence....

* * *

Goku sighed. He stared at Sanzo. Sanzo never turn around.

"..."

How long am I supposed to keep up with this game? How long am I supposed to act like my typical self without bursting into tears? Sanzo... please...

I'm hurting inside. I'm crying inside. I'm bleeding inside.

... but you never knew...

* * *

"Hanareta. [I'm hungry.]"

Again and again, never ending it seems. Lonely is the road they had chance upon their Fate, and as the harsh winter winds blew solemnly in a remorseful requiem, Goku could do nothing but helplessly sighing for the umpteenth time. Or in Genjo Sanzo's opinion, for the endless time possible before that youngest companion of his could get his hands full on a plate of steaming dumplings, or maybe a plate of sumptuous pork buns. Whatever it is, he had enough of hearing those whiny noise.

"Shut up, would you? I am truly fed up by that noise, and I won't hesitate to kill you on the spot." muttered Sanzo, audible enough for the young one to hear. Goku could only bit his lower lip, and adjusted the cape of the overcoat that he had put on earlier. He did not particularly like this part of the journey. It was wintry, the lanes were deep in snow, the landscapes were white, blissfully white, charming and holy white. White, white, white, nothing but white all around. Goku looked up, gazing into the heavens. Well, for the exception of the sky, which is gray in color,... everything is and was white! Annoyingly white. Monokuro [monochrome]...

And all this mundane routine which he had been going through for already a week, had drove him to the brink of insanity. He had no energy left to argue with anyone in this dull weather. Even if Gojyo provoked him, he would just dismissed it. All the coldness around him made him hungrier than ever, and instead of whining "Sanzo, I am hungry.", all he could bring himself to do was to sigh dramatically and pout all day long.

No, he was not the only one who had changed altogether in this damnable weather.

Gojyo, who loves to pester him constantly, had instead kept himself occupied by staring out at the endless stretch of scenery. Hakkai, their ever-cheerful driver, well,... he was not too ever-cheerful now. Hakkai could only force himself to keep at least a straight face as he drove quietly through the deep snow. Sometimes, during a brief snowstorm, one could hear Hakkai comforting Hakuryu, his dragon-turned-jeep pet, urging the green vehicle to go on. Sanzo, always his silence as a daily facade, had pretty much kept himself quiet, unless he had something very very urgent to say.

To sum it all up, no one like this weather. And to make things worse, there was no inn in sight for days, and Goku could barely remember the taste of his beloved steamed dumplings. They became sort of a distant memory, something lost within the sands of time. Just like the day when Sanzo and he,.... just another statement of time,... but it was all gone...

Goku huddled himself in a corner of the jeep, his teeth chattering in the cold. Despite the snowstorm which has subside since hours ago, the day was still cold and chilly. Goku could see a fade glimmer of what he recognized as the sun, hidden behind mast veils of gray. The thread of orange vanished behind the clouds in the western skies, symbolic of dusk.

"Not again, another night in the blistering cold?" Gojyo beside him remarked. Goku was startled by his sudden comment. It seems like Gojyo, too, noted the setting of the sun.

"Tolerate it, Gojyo." Hakkai said, his voice forcefully cheerful. "Just about two more day's drive and we will enjoy a nice comfy bed."

"Yeah, and by then, I will be reduced to nothing more than a iced kappa." Gojyo sarcastically retorted. Hakkai smiled at his snide remark. Turning to Sanzo, he slowly asked.

"Shall we camp here tonight? The place here seems to be more dry than others. Besides that, look there." Hakkai steered the jeep off the main road. He pointed to a distant. "There, I saw a cave. It was quite sheltered, and hidden by those trees that grew by the side."

"Whatever. I'm dying of boredom here." Sanzo replied as he nodded curtly. Hakkai chuckled, and stopped the jeep. When all of them got off the jeep, Hakuryu quickly returned to its dragon form, shivering from cold. Hakkai hugged Hakuryu lightly, covering the white dragon with the robes that he draped over himself since the start of this cold stage. "Come, let's go."

The cave was of moderate large, fit enough to camp out temporarily. It was dry, and well hidden from the snowstorm, if it ever approaches. Trees shielded the place, giving a more secure statement to the cave's location.

"So, well, that's it. We will stay here for tonight." exclaimed a weary Hakkai in the most cheerful voice he could manage. "Hmm, I'll be off for a moment, okay? We sort-of ran out of water, and if I found a river, maybe I will fish for dinner." said Hakkai to Sanzo. Seeing not much objection from the latter, he motioned towards Gojyo. "Want to follow?" "Definitely. I can't stand being here and doing nothing." Gojyo got up from where he leaned against the wall, and turned around. "Ooi, Goku, you following?" No response. Gojyo frowned. "Ooi, saru!" No response again. Hakkai laughed, and pointed towards Goku, who was busy staring into the depths of the cave. "He's busy. C'mon, let's go now. I want to be back before the storm arises again." With those words, the twosome left.

Sanzo, who was sitting down on the cave's floor all the while, lit a cigarette, and sat smoking. The cave was mildly warm, much a relieve from the coldness that surrounded them for hours before. Sanzo turned, watching Goku glancing down at the cave. Goku,... Only then he realized that the cave did not end at where they were. Deep in the pitch darkness that was the end of the cave, it resembled a network of tunnels and chambers. Soon, Sanzo saw Goku putting a tentative step forward, and another, and another, and soon walked towards the darkness.

"Ooi, Goku."

Goku kept walking. Sanzo frowned. "Goku!"

No response.

"OOI BAKA SARU!" Goku did not notice the calling, but instead, he kept on walking down into the inky blackness that consumed the other end of the cave. Sanzo, frustrated and annoyed, took out his spirit-ascending gun, took a blind aim and fired.

The sound from the gun gave Goku more than a startled expression. Worriedly he rushed back to Sanzo's side, eyes wide opened. "What happened, Sanzo?"

"That's enough of you, Goku." Sanzo, gritting his teeth, took out his legendary weapon, his white paper fan, and gave Goku much a whacking with it. "Ouch! Ouch! What did I do wrong this time?" Goku moaned as he rubbed his head, pouting. Sanzo gave him a final whack with the fan and ordered him to move out. "Now, go and get some firewood. I'm freezing solid here. Come back fast."

Goku hurried by, thankful to be out of Sanzo's punishment, but quite disappointed. I should have not wandered there,... or else I will have much more chances to stay with Sanzo,... here... Goku rushed away. Sanzo sank back into his pose, and inhaled deeply on his half-done cigarette, smoking the time away into nothingness.

* * *

"Here."

Sounds of wood dropping down onto the solid granite floor ricocheted in the empty cave. Goku stood before a pile of wood he'd just collected. Sanzo nodded in sheer approval. Goku began arranging the branches and twigs and miscellaneous parts of fallen trees in a neat pile. Sanzo only kept quiet, eyeing Goku's work. When Goku was done, he handed his disciple a lighter. Goku set a branch on fire, and soon, a merry flame began to dance in the darkness of the now night. The sun has set to the fullest, leaving the skies dark enough for the moon to make it's entrance.

"I wonder where is Hakkai and Gojyo..." muttered Goku as he sat by the fire, warming himself up from the whole icy travel they had been in throughout the day. Soon, his eyes adverted from the mouth of the cave to the enigmatic darkness that was the other half of the cave. He remembered being much enchanted by the mysteriousness of this cave. Really. He was, yes, he is still much tempted to go exploring the other ends of the cave. Slowly, he got up, and advanced towards the series of tunnels before him.

* * *

"Goku?" Sanzo looked up, and saw nothing, no one, less that remained with him was the flaming fire. His golden-eyed disciple was lost from sight.

"Where the hell did he go? That idiotic monkey..." cursed Sanzo as he stood up, stretching after such a long time sitting down in the same pose. He turned and looked at the far end of the cave. The cryptic channels of unexplored tunnels, buried in those unfathomable darkness. There might be something dangerous in there. So did Genjo Sanzo, the ever-suspicious priest thought as he walked nearer. "Goku?" He called out. The echoes of the call mocked his concern as they magnified several times louder. "Are you there, baka saru?" Again, those words came tumbling back, louder. Sanzo cursed silently as he stepped into the darkness. Suddenly, before he moved another step, he walked back, and picked up a flaming branch from the merrily burning fire at the mouth of the cave. Feeling much safer and aided in a sense, Sanzo walked back to the tunnels. After a brief walk, he stopped at a huge chamber-like part, where the road split into three.

"No way I'm going inside." muttered Sanzo. He could get easily trapped in those deadly labyrinths. He turned around, and decided to wait for the return of Hakkai and Gojyo [as well as Goku, if he ever is going to return] before proceeding into the dangerous maze.

Suddenly, he heard a scream, followed by a big splash, and nothingness ensued. Sanzo turned, facing the three doorways into the tunnels. He sworn he had heard Goku's voice, screaming. Yes, that voice was his, no mistake. "Goku? Goku!" Sanzo shouted into the passageway. No reply.

"Did he really drown or something? That idiot." Sanzo cursed. He peered into the three openings. The first one was steep, but it went way down, straight. The second one was mainly bumpy, and it was much more dark compared to the first. Sanzo took a glance at the third. It was not as steep as the first, but the floors were wet. Wait,... wet? Didn't he just heard a loud splash after that cry of help?

The third one it is, then. Sanzo gingerly took one step forward into the wet floors, and clutching at his flaming branch like a torch, he walked his way inside.

"I swear when I found you, Goku, I'm going to kill you for getting me into this wet mess."

* * *

Goku cringed as his feet came in contact with the iciness of the waters. Regretfully he lamented of his fate... too late to be true. He regretted taking the first opening of the tunnel when he came to the spilt above. "Maybe the second of the third one is the better option."

"I wonder if I could ever find my way out... Sanzo and the others must have been worried."

* * *

As Sanzo made his way through the third lane that he had chosen, the waters on the floor rose slightly with every step he took further down. He pulled up his robes, and took off his black socks. The water level remained for about a hundred meters or more, and rose again, up to knee level. Sanzo, truly annoyed by now, was cursing his way through. He saw no signs of intelligent life, but was not surprised either. "I don't expect myself to consider Goku part of the intelligent life forms out there, do I?"

Suddenly he felt something amiss with the road that he had chosen. His footwork was loose, and the grips were slippery. Sanzo grasped at the walls before he slipped. The waters were strangely calm and clear, as if masking a hidden threat through it's sheer innocence. "Pure liars." Sanzo muttered as he descended into the inky blackness.

Soon, the water level went down, around Sanzo's ankles. Still not much in sight. All Sanzo could see was black, black, black,... a contrast to the white that he witnessed for days. Suddenly he saw a flash of light in the distance. Goku?

"Goku. Goku!" Sanzo called out. And before he knew it, his foot slipped...

And everything was consumed in blackness, just like the endless stretch of black before him,....

End Of 'Never Drown, Again'

Reviews are much appreciated,... onegai minnasan!