Gravitation Fan Fiction ❯ In the Pink ❯ One ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Disclaimer: Gravitation is the property of Maki Murakami et al. This is a non-profit endeavor, perpetrated only because it makes me giggle.
 
Thank you to: Sai-chan, my wonderful beta-reader. (Thank you!!)
 
In the Pink
 
“Calm down,” said the doctor, in an attempt to be comforting. He was used to some not-so-great reactions to not-so-great news, but this was a new one even for him. “Now, it's not so bad.”
 
“Not so bad?” Sakano hyperventilated, “This is a life-threatening situation! I might die! Oh no! I can't die now! What will Seguchi-san say? I'll be fired for certain!” He flailed his arms, nearly falling off the examination table.
 
“No, you won't die! Really!” said the doctor, steadying the excitable man, “It seems to be mostly stress-related, so if you can just try to relax a bit more—“
 
“Relax?” He shuddered. “But, how will I relax? There's so much to do and so little time to do it in and everybody's counting on me to—“
 
“See, I think that's where the problem is,” the doctor shook his head. “Take deep, calming breaths. There we go; easy does it. Okay. Are you all right?”
 
Sakano made a small definitely-not-all-right noise in the back of his throat. This time, he really did fall off the table.
 
The doctor helped him up, “Please. This is nothing to worry about. You have my word as a physician!” The doctor clasped his hand to his breast. “Just relax and everything will be fine.”
 
“Relax,” mumbled Sakano, as the doctor led him out of the office. He continued mumbling as he passed the nervous receptionist and made his way down the street.
 
“Relax relax relax,” he chanted.
 
He continued chanting past a group of rowdy teenagers.
 
He continued chanting past an angry dog on a short, flimsy leash.
 
He continued chanting past boxers and bakers and banks in a bad part of town, all the while deeply aware that someone could pull a gun and demand that he either relinquish his money or his life at any moment.
 
He continued chanting for so long that he misjudged the walk-time at a crosswalk.
 
A car narrowly avoided finishing the work his blood-pressure had started. Sakano felt a vein twitch in his forehead. His arms stiffened at his sides. He turned to the shocked driver, mouth falling agape.
 
Deep breaths, deep breaths. He thought. Relax relax relax. He walked off without a word to the driver.
 
The world was truly a terrifying place. How would he ever manage to stay calm?