Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Shounen Kakumei Duo ❯ The Black Rose Awakens ( Chapter 6 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

((I do not own Gundam Wing or Shoujo Kakumei Utena, blah blah blah))

"The Black Rose Awakens"

~*~

"We're here, Duo."

Duo looked across the top of the giant pillar that they were standing on. There were hundreds upon hundreds of rose bushes with roses in full bloom everywhere. In the very center of the pillar, there was a large water fountain, surrounded by even more rose bushes. On the either side of the pillar, there were large, ivory gates that reached for the sky with designs of roses upon them, which lead down to another layer of the pillar. At the slightest hint of wind, rose petals strayed from their roses and were carried in the wind, either to other rose bushes or they flew off the pillar and down onto the school campus below. Duo noticed that all the roses on the bushes were a bright, crimson red; like that of fresh blood.

"Duo? Are you all right?" Quatre asked as he stepped in front of Duo and faced him. Duo had his mouth open in awe at the scenery before him- there were just so many roses! He had never seen so many in one spot. Hell, he never even saw a rose until his early teens back in L2, which wasn't all that long ago.

"Yeah," Duo replied, dumbly. Quatre nodded, a hint of concern in his expression. He walked ahead of Duo, then turned around and reached out his hand and grasped Duo's lightly. Duo was sent out of his temporary shock, and then looked at Quatre, then down to his hand grasped in the other boy's. He couldn't help but feel himself grin. With a slight tug, the blonde began to lead Duo into the Rose Garden.

"You'll soon find out that Relena tends to come here often," said Quatre as he continued to lead Duo. "She tends to the roses here."

"Ah," Duo replied. He began to wonder why Quatre had led him to such a place. They just 'met' that afternoon, and yet, Quatre was beginning to act as if... Duo quickly shook his head. No, Quatre couldn't possibly be interested in him! Not this soon, anyways. Perhaps, deep in his mind, he remembered the braided boy? If he did, Duo was quite sure he wouldn't be acting this way towards him. Would he even be talking to him?

"Let's sit down."

Duo was, once again, shaken out of his thoughts by the melodic voice of his love interest. Quatre let go of his hand as he sat himself down on a large, white painted bench, which bore the same rose designs as did the gates of the Rose Garden. The chestnut haired boy quietly took his seat next to the other boy, still in deep wonder as to why he was brought here by Quatre in the first place.

"Duo, you need to know more about the Student Council," said Quatre, quickly. Duo nodded slightly, showing him that he was ready for just about anything the blonde had to say to him.

"I'm pretty sure that you know how Heero treated Relena, correct?" Duo nodded his head. "Good. First of all, I must say that I'm glad that she's no longer under his control. The rest of us Duelists have Dueled him, yet none of us succeeded in retrieving the Rose Bride. Even I Dueled Heero, merely to save Relena from the meaningless abuse that he was implying on her."

Quatre sat back in the bench. "Of course, I lost. Everyone in the Student Council was surprised, to say the least, at Heero being defeated by you. I don't mean offense, of course! I mean that all four of us have tried our hardest, and yet you arrived and defeated him easily. You must be a really good Duelist, Duo."

Duo shook his head, but Quatre continued.

"Because of you defeating Heero so quickly, he has set his eyes onto you, Duo," he said, sitting back up and looking into Duo's violet eyes. Duo stared back into Quatre's.

"Whaddya mean?" he asked.

"I mean that he's going to try anything he can to retrieve the Rose Bride back from you," the council member said, "anything."

Duo sat back into the bench, stretching out his arms behind him and casting his gaze up to the sky. He watched various sized rose petals fly by.

"Anything, eh?" he asked. Quatre nodded and continued.

"Heero has a reputation around the academy as a playboy. It's true, from what I've seen. A lot of students in all grades admire him; want to be with him. They were jealous of Relena, and therefore, a lot of them picked on her; outcast her merely because she was obeying her duty as the Rose Bride and tended to Heero everywhere he went."

'Is that why Hilde hates Relena so much?' Duo thought to himself as Quatre continued.

"He became almost obsessed with Relena- in the sense that he became very overprotective of her. I don't know what was running through his mind, but he still went out with so many students in the school, and yet, claimed Relena as his own, many times. But he treats her like she's an object; a being without emotion. He doesn't treat her like a human being, which pretty much upset me. It's clearly obvious that she's a living human, complete with emotions and expressions, but I think that Heero was just oblivious to that aspect. I disapproved of the way he treated her. I believe that the other Student Council members would agree with me that Heero isn't fit for having the Rose Bride," he said, unconsciously slumping back into the bench. Duo nodded slowly, still staring up at the sky.

"As I said before, Duo, I'm very relieved that someone took her away from that abusive man, but now, I'm beginning to worry about you," he said. Duo's eyes widened. Quatre, worried about -him-? He was pretty sure that he could take care of himself, and resisting and avoiding Heero could be done. He turned his head at Quatre and offered him a rare, true smile.

"It's been a very long time since anyone's been worried about me," he began, "but I can take care of myself."

Quatre's expression faulted, and then Duo quickly sat up. "I didn't mean that you shouldn't, or you should, or. Something like that. I'm just saying that I'm pretty sure that whatever Heero has coming my way, I can face it! I just," he closed his eyes slightly, and then reopened them to the ground, "really appreciate you worrying."

Quatre's face broke into a small, sweet smile, his eyes lighting up as he sat up and intertwined his fingers together happily. Duo felt himself smile again. 'This seems too good to be true. Quatre's worrying about me, he brought me here, and we're alone.'

At that thought of him and Quatre alone in the Rose Garden, Duo felt his face flush lightly. Quickly, he turned his gaze back to the ground, his heart beginning to race. Quatre leaned towards him and placed his delicate hand on his shoulder in concern.

"Are you all right, Duo?" he asked, his voice so soft and caring. Duo bit his lip slightly. Quatre's hand was so warm, so light, it was almost feminine.

"Y-Yeah," Duo managed to stutter out. Quatre moved his hand from his shoulder and clasped it over Duo's hand, which rested on his thigh. Duo felt his heart racing.

"Are you sure? You're not sick or anything, or you? You looked awfully pale at lunch this afternoon; it kind of made me concerned," he said. Duo bit his lip again. Quatre's hand was so close to his...! Suddenly, he was glad that his pants were about a size or two bigger than from what he normally wore.

"I-I gotta go," said Duo, as he stood up from the bench, turned towards the gate, and ran, just about as fast as possible. He didn't want to show Quatre his flustered face, which was red probably all the way up to his ears and down his neck. His heart was beating so fast, and he had this knot in his stomach that disallowed him to speak clearly, just as earlier that afternoon.

Duo had his hands clenched into tight fists as he ran down the steps quickly, feeling a few rose petals hit his face. He heard his own footsteps running down the steps, and felt the wind brush past his face. His eyes were shut tight. Gradually, the scent of roses became a bit faint as he left the steps, his feet meeting the ground. He opened his eyes and rushed into the main academy building, grasping onto the handle and jerking it. It didn't move. 'Dammit, they must've locked it,' he thought. Now where was he to go? He still didn't know the campus well enough to wonder out on his own yet. Quickly, he looked about himself, looking for an escape route. He found a gap in between the main building and a smaller building, connected by the balconies on the higher levels. He ran to that escape route and ran down a small, darkened alley. The setting sun made his visuals a bit difficult, as he tripped over a rock and was almost sent tumbling, had he not stopped himself. In that stop, he leaned against the wall, so close and narrow to the other, and began to catch his breath.

"H-Holy shit," he mumbled to himself. He rested his palm against the other wall and leaned on it, his breathing returning back to normal. He looked back at his path, realizing how long and far he ran in such a short amount of time. No wonder he was so exhausted.

Suddenly, he remembered- he left Quatre back in the Rose Garden! He tightened his hand into a fist again. How could he be so rude? He just left him there, after he warned and explained so much to him. He didn't even thank him for any of it! He just... left. Why did he leave? Was he suddenly afraid of spontaneously performing some impure act upon the boy? Or was he afraid that the boy would've sensed Duo's feelings for him? Or could it be that Duo's heart began to ache again; knowing that Quatre was so close to him, and yet so far?

Duo decided that it was all three. He couldn't handle it anymore. He didn't trust himself, his words, or his emotions. They seemed out of grasp, into the depths and eternals of space, forever to be frozen and forgotten. Duo knew he couldn't retrieve them himself; but who would? He highly doubted Quatre would ever do such a task. Besides, he was taken already...

By Trowa.

That name sent pain down Duo's chest, causing him to stand back against the wall and place his hand over his heart and grasp it lightly. He hated that name. He hated that person. He hated him so much, it hurt. He loved Quatre so much that it hurt, just the same. He'd sell his soul to the Devil himself if only he could have Quatre return his love back to him.

Only the sun's rays were visible over the horizon now. Duo figured that it was time to go back to his dorm, before it was completely nightfall. If that had happened, he wouldn't even know where to begin searching for his way back.

***


Surprisingly, Relena had cooked up a very good supper. Much more then Duo himself could muster. Even with his current mood, he managed to go for thirds. Now, he lay in his bed, staring up at the ceiling. When he came back from his 'walk' with Quatre, Relena had somehow managed to exchange Duo's bed with a bunk bed; which the two now slept on. She slept peacefully on the bottom bunk of the bed.

As Duo stared up at the ceiling, he felt his guilt seep in; the guilt for having left Quatre back in the Rose Garden. He wondered if he would be angry with him. He should be. He didn't even thank him for any of the information that he provided, without Duo asking, none the less!

The Rose Garden was so beautiful. So that's what holds up all the roses that rain down onto the campus. Where they in full bloom all year? Or are they in the middle of their bloom? Duo planned to ask Relena about that the next morning. Besides, how did Quatre know about the Rose Garden? Oh, right. He was in Student Council. The Student Council probably knew about a lot of stuff that the other students didn't.

With that last thought, Duo flowed away to the land of the unconscious.

***

Duo found sitting in a pretty uncomfortable chair. The sun was setting, which made the hue of the small waiting room he was in an orange. He sat up suddenly.

"You're next, Mr. Maxwell."

Duo stood up from the chair and looked to his left. There was a reception desk, but no one was inside it. He could've sworn that he had just heard Dorothy's voice.

He looked to his right, were there stood a small hallway, filled with the exact same chairs that he was sitting in. The chairs were aligned parallel to each other, almost perfectly. On each one of the chairs stood a sign with a large, red arrow, pointing down the hall. Duo decided to take the hint and walk down the small hallway.

He arrived before a large door to his left with a sign in big, bold red letters that said, "ENTER". Once again taking the obvious hint, Duo clasped his hand onto the door knob and entered. It was a small, light blue-painted elevator. In the middle of the elevator, there stood a small, lone white chair. In front of that chair was a window. To the right of that chair was a speaker. Having no idea what was about to happen, Duo hesitantly sat himself in the chair. Suddenly, the elevator jerked, than began to move downwards.

"How are you?"

Duo jumped at the sound of the voice. It was a soft, calm voice, but he immediately recognized it as Treize's. He wondered what was about to happen. Was this a trap? Was Treize going to have the elevator drop with Duo in it?

Naw, he couldn't do that. Treize was dead.

That thought alone sent a chill down Duo's spine. Was he going to be interrogated by a dead guy? Why?

"I'm ... Fine," Duo replied.

"Good. Now, relax. I can tell you're nervous."

That chill was sent up Duo's back again. Could Treize somehow see him?

"Now, tell me. Why are you here?"

"I don't know why I'm here," said Duo, "I just suddenly found myself in the hall."

"But why are you here? Why are you at the Ohtori Academy? What drove you here?" the voice asked, softly.

"I don't know," Duo repeated.

"Is it Quatre?"

Duo froze in his chair. How could Treize have known?

"What if it is?" Duo asked.

"There's no need to be hostile, Mr. Maxwell. Please, enlighten me. What do you think of this boy?"

Duo swallowed. Should he tell him? Should he tell Treize about his crush, no, his obsession with Quatre?

"Don't hesitate. You can trust me."

"... I love him," Duo blurted out. He mentally kicked himself for that.

"Are you sure it's love?"

"Of course I'm sure! If it wasn't, than what's up with all this I feel?!" Duo asked, standing up from the chair.

"Please, have a seat, Mr. Maxwell. Take a deep breath. Relax. Nothing can hear you but me, and what I know shall not leak out between us. As I've said, you can trust me."

Duo sighed lightly as he took his seat again. He slumped forward and placed his elbows on his knees.

"I love him. I love him so much; I don't know what to do. I'd do anything for him; anything at all. If he asked me to cut my hair, I'd do it. If he asked me to kill someone, I'd do it gladly. If he asked me to take my own life, I'd do that too. I'll give him everything I've got; I'd try my damned hardest not to make him cry. I'd do everything my body and soul could do to make him happy. I just want him to love me back."

"What's stopping you?"

"... Him. Trowa Barton. Pilot 03..."

"Deeper..."

"I hate him. I want him to die. I want him to die a horrible, horrible death in torture, just to show him how much pain he's caused me by forcing me to watch him and Quatre walked arm- in-arm, so happily together. I want him to die for taking Quatre away from me. I want him to feel like his heart is being ripped out, screaming in pain almost every night, waking up in dried tears, trying his damned hardest to maintain mentally stable. I want him to feel what I feel; to make him suffer and bleed!"

By now, Duo had buried his face in his hands, his fingers intertwining tightly into his hair, gritting his teeth tightly. The elevator stopped in a jerk. Duo raised his head up from his hands and looked about the elevator. The door to his left suddenly slid open, giving him a sign to exit.

As Duo stepped out of the elevator, he noticed that he was now in a large, blue painted room, its walls bare. In the center of the wall in front of him, there was Treize, leaning against a door right behind him. Beyond that door was a red-ish light. Curious, Duo walked over to the dead- yet-somehow-alive pilot.

"Welcome, Duo," said Treize as Duo stood in front of him. Treize took a step back, halfway into the red lighted room and half in the blue room.

"You want Quatre, don't you? What if I told you that I could make him yours? Under one condition?" he said. Duo blinked, and then folded his arms across his chest.

"What condition?" he asked. Treize smirked.

"Kill the Rose Bride," he said. At that, Duo unfolded his arms suddenly and stared open mouthed at the taller man.

"W-What?! I can't do that!" Duo exclaimed. Treize folded his arms across his chest and leaned against the wall way of the door.

"Kill the Rose Bride, Quatre's yours," he said. Duo shook his head.

"I... I can't do that!" he repeated. Treize sighed.

"Would you prefer to be living in this Hell that you are in right now? Would you like to continue to see Quatre and Trowa, be as happy as lovers can be, knowing that I gave you an opportunity to make Quatre yours?" he asked. Duo narrowed his eyes.

"What if I say no?" he asked.

"Then there's no need for you to be here," the man said as he unfolded his arms. Duo looked at his right hand and noticed that Treize bore a Rose Seal; except for the outside of his ring was black, instead of white, like all the other rings that the Student Council and himself had. While in that thought, Treize walked up to him and placed his hand around the smaller boy's shoulders.

"Duo, what if I told you that you were dead?"

Duo's eyes widened.

"What if we were all dead? You, me, Quatre, everyone. Or what if I told you that none of us were real, but instead exist only as the figments of one's imagination, and that we are only needed to be manipulated to one's own desires? Then we must wonder- are we truly alive? Or are we nothing, lost in this world of nothingness? You see, that's why many people wish to obtain the Rose Bride. They wish to break free of these binds that confuse us and see the truth for themselves- to finally obtain the answer of our true purpose, or to finally find our true selves. Who are you, Duo? Are you living, or are you dead?"

Treize grasped his hand onto Duo's right, squeezing tightly. Duo's face winced in pain as he grunted and pushed away from the taller man, feeling a sudden hot, burning sensation in his hand. It was painful. It made him yell, and scream, and it made him try to kick the older man. Finally, he was released. Duo took his hand and looked down at it. His Rose Seal was black- just like Treize's; and the rose inside was pink, like Quatre's.

"What...? What did you do?!" Duo asked. Treize threw his head back and laughed. Suddenly, Duo felt himself being grabbed from behind; someone wrapping their slim arms around his waist. He struggled, and then saw that the person was Dorothy. She jerked his arms back and held them tightly behind his back, pushing her forearm onto his lower back, causing his upper body to jerk upwards. He struggled harder, then looked ahead of himself, and saw Treize walking towards him slowly, with a black rose in full bloom in hand.

"Are you alive, Duo?"

Treize grabbed the rose and held it high in front of Duo, its tip sharp and thorns deadly.

"Or are you dead?"

Treize's hand came down and stabbed the end of the rose into Duo's heart. Duo threw his head back and screamed, his blood splattering everywhere in front of him.

***

Duo sat up quickly from his bed, sweat dripping down his forehead. His heart was beating rapidly, as if he had just run a marathon. Quickly, he brought his right hand up to his chest and felt around. Thankfully, there was no blood. Everything seemed back to normal. The morning sun was showing through the curtains. Relena was up already and in the shower. She probably intended to awaken him after her shower. After his heartbeat slowed down, he withdrew his hand, and then looked down at it.

He bore the Black Rose Seal.