Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Stolen Memories ❯ Chapter 10 ( Chapter 10 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter Ten

"Get your hands the hell off me!" Relena screamed, pulling away from Heero's grasp and making all three men wince at the pitch her voice hit. Relena sat still and hunched, arms holding her bag, fists clenched looking at the footwell of the car. She counted her breaths trying to calm down. When she realised that Heero was not going to touch her again, she raised her eyes slowly. Relena saw Duo's eyes regarding her through the rear vision mirror, flicking from looking at the road to looking at her. Relena prided herself at being a good judge of human emotion and she thought she could see concern in those eyes - perhaps she could work on that was her passing thought.

Relena switched her attention to the men sitting beside her. Heero Yuy regarded her coolly, his arm nearest the door lying on the armrest, but the arm closest to her, the arm that had been around her, was tense hand gripping the seat. It was at complete odds with his face. Relena looked at the other man, Trowa Barton. He was also regarding her without expression, but his posture was relaxed and in control. She swallowed. Perhaps she could talk herself out of this situation.

Her back straightened and she let her own grip on her bag loosen somewhat, but did not relax the grip completely. That bag contained secret files on the all the pilots and the press release she had been drafting which named them. Relena considered it would not be the best time to let them know that their anonymity was about to be blown. The bag also contained two weapons, one that Basil had insisted that she carry: a small handgun. The second even Basil didn't know she had, a kind gift from an elderly doctor who thought it a better form of defence for a pacifist - a small can of spray that would cause temporary disorientation and discomfort if sprayed in someone's face. Relena had no wish for the men to discover any of the items she held.

"Gentlemen." Relena cleared her throat and hoped that her voice would not betray her very real fear. "Can you explain why you have abducted me and where we are going. Perhaps we can discuss this and come to an amicable solution."

Heero snorted, Trowa smiled before turning his attention to the window again. Duo was the only one to speak.

"Ah, always the diplomat Princess, guess they could never change that." He grinned.

Relena felt unsure of herself. Did these people not even want to discuss terms?

"I don't understand you, er, Duo is it?" she said and Duo nodded, attention still on the road. Relena noted that they had left the city limits and were now heading out into the countryside up into the mountains. "Where are you taking me?" she demanded again.

"Somewhere safe." Heero finally said, his eyes had not left Relena's face and she was beginning to feel very uneasy about his gaze. "You will soon understand. I want you to hold still for a minute." Heero had a small device in his had and he pointed it at Relena. Relena went still, a little afraid, as Heero swept it up and down her body, at a distance of a few centimetres.

"Anything?" Trowa asked.

"Hmm" Heero was studying the device intently. He looked up at Relena "Take your necklace off." He ordered. Relena frowned, but obeyed him. She passed it to him and he looked at it intently before passing it to Trowa. Trowa nodded. Heero looked back at the machine. "Earrings" he said, and Relena slowly took her earrings off. Again Heero looked at them closely and then passed them to Trowa.

Heero did one more sweep of her body. He stiffened suddenly and touched her left hand, raising it looking at the ruby and diamond ring she had on her ring finger.

"You are not having that." Relena said firmly.

"You're engaged?" Heero said weakly, eyes still on the ring, then he repeated himself with anger this time "You're engaged?"

Relena felt sick, she nodded.

"Who?" Heero demanded.

"Basil …." Relena answered "Basil Holt." She felt cool fresh air come into the car and looked across to see that Trowa had opened his window and thrown out her pendant and earrings. "Hey!" she protested.

"Bugged." Trowa said, "We need to move faster now Duo"

"Bugged…" Relena repeated weakly. These men did not seem to be lucid. She was beginning to fear for her safety. She became aware that Heero was still holding her hand, glaring at the ring. She pulled it away sharply from him "So, I'm engaged, so what!" she said "Is it so hard for people to imagine the Foreign Minister having a life!"

Heero looked at her without answering, his blue eyes cold and narrowed.

"God, what do you people want?" Relena said angrily "Do you really think that you could get away with all the crimes you have undertaken in the name of war? So many innocent people died because of you, and here you are starting the cycle again by kidnapping me. What do you want from me?" she demanded.

"Relena, you will understand soon." Heero said tonelessly, "You will understand that you have always been on our side."

"Shut up!" Relena was very angry now "Don't you dare say such lies. Do you think I could ever support the person who killed my father in cold blood. Yes, you! You!" she poked her index finger into Heero's chest with each word "You killed my father!"

Heero groaned, and shook his head. "You will understand soon. I'm sorry I couldn't have been there to prevent it. But I will be there to pay back the people who have done this to you."

Relena stiffened at his ominous tone.

"Relax." Trowa said calmly, "We have a way to go, you could sleep."

"Gentlemen, you cant expect me to sleep in this situation." Relena scowled at them.

Trowa raised an eyebrow and looked over her head at Heero. Heero nodded at Trowa. Relena felt sudden fear as Trowa produced a cloth and bottle from his jacket pocket. He opened the bottle and poured some of the contents on the cloth. A very distinctive scent wafted up from the cloth.

"When you wake up, everything will be back to normal." Heero said calmly.

"Oh shit, no you don't." Relena realised that they were going to render her unconscious. She swung her bag around catching Trowa unawares. He dropped the bottle, the rest of the contents soaking into the cars upholstery and carpet. The fumes were making all of them cough. Heero grabbed her around her shoulders pulling her back up against his chest.

"Hurry up and do it Trowa." He growled. Trowa tried to get the cloth to Relena's face again, but she kicked him again and again with her feet, which conveniently happened to be in rather pointy high heels. As she kicked her hand worked its way inside her bag and frantically sought the gun or the spray, at this point Relena didn't care which. She felt cool metal and pulled out the tin of spray. Pointing the tin at Trowa she depressed the button and spray erupted from the nozzle point blank into Trowa's face. Trowa cried out in alarm, dropped the cloth and covered his face with his hands.

Relena felt Heero loosen his grip on her in surprise and she immediately lifted her arm and sprayed over her shoulder in what she hoped was the general direction of his face. Heero grunted and let go of her completely. She looked at both men, they were both lying back hands to faces, groaning.

Duo regarded her calmly as the car sped on.

"Now you don't want to do that to me, Lena. I believe I am in control of this car and if you spray me with that shit we are definitely going to crash!"

Relena smiled coldly. "No Mr Maxwell, I wouldn't dream of spraying you." She said sweetly, pulling the gun out of the bag. "But if you don't stop, I'm going to shoot both of these men." Duos eyes had widened considerably as he saw Relena pull out a gun and flick off the safety.

"Princess, try and stay calm." Duo said, slowing the car down a little. "I thought that you were a pacifist. I really don't think that you could shoot them in cold blood."

"Just try me." Relena said, aiming at Heero's head.

Duo cursed and slammed down into third, then second. "Ya know, Heero would prefer to die than let you go back there." He said, testing her, maintaining the speed of the car.

"I seem to recall reading that you are very vain about your hair." Relena said sweetly "How would you feel if I used a bullet to give it a little trim?" she pointed the gun at his braid and Duo scowled back at her and braked sharply.

"That is particularly low Relena." He said "If I didn't know that you were not yourself at the moment, I would be very angry."

The car came to a halt.

"Get out and open the rear door." Relena ordered, and watched as Duo, scowling, obeyed. "Pull him out" she said pointing at Trowa. Duo grabbed Trowa under his arms and half dragged him out of the car. Trowa tried to stand but kept sinking to his knees. Relena slid out of the car and surveyed her surroundings. There were on a mountain road in what looked like forestry. Tall pinus radiatas were growing, lower branches cut away to promote tall straight trunks. "Get him out too." She pointed at Heero, and Duo complied.

Heero looked like he was shaking the spray faster than Trowa, whilst he could only kneel and look dizzy he did manage to focus on her.

"You're making a mistake Relena." he said quietly.

"No, you made the mistake underestimating me." Relena retorted. She threw her bag in the backseat of the car, and slammed the door. She looked in the driver's side to see that the keys were still in the ignition. Gun still aimed at the men, she slid into the car and started it. She closed the door, gun still pointing out the window. "Move back." She ordered and Duo walked back a few steps. Relena put the vehicle into first, revved the engine and then released the handbrake all whilst aiming the gun with her left hand. As the car started to move off, she pulled threw the gun down on the front passenger's seat.

Grinning to herself, she floored the accelerator and started to speed away, clumsily changing the gears into second. Basil was going to be so proud that she had kept her calm and escaped from those terrorists. She looked at the rear vision mirror to get a look at the pilots and felt coldness of dread wash over her as she saw Heero, still kneeling, aiming a gun at her. She didn't hear the retort of the gun, but did feel the control of the car slip away from her, the steering wheel become loose and not able to steer the car in the direction she wanted to go. In her panic she slammed on the breaks. As soon as she did this she realised it was a mistake, the car started skidding out of control, spinning around, off the road and down the slope into the trees below. Relena was conscious of a roaring sound in her ears before everything went silent.