Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ United Hearts ❯ Chapter 29

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]
Untitled

Disclaimer: I don't own the G boys. They belong to their respective copyright companies. I do however own Shane, Paul, Colin, Mickey, Benny, Toby and any other unfamiliar characters. I also own the plot if you can call it that.

Pairings: 1x2x1, 3x4x3, 5+S

Rating: NC 17

Warnings: Angst, Yaoi, Shonen-ai, violence, language, references to rape, sap, blood, Death (not one of the boys), Lemon/Lime, medical stuff, and any other weird thing that comes out of my head.... be afraid...

Notes: This is the sequel to "Lost Souls." While it is not necessary to read "Lost Souls" first I do recommend it otherwise some of the occurrences may not make sense. The references to medical procedures, medical reports, autopsies etc. are entirely based on my own pathetic knowledge of such and so I apologise in advance for any incorrectness contained there in. :)

" United Hearts "

Aug. 2002 ShenLong

Chapter 29

The Chinese man watched like a hawk as the medics lay Sally on the bed in the medical facility. He hadn't let go of her hand during the short trip. A voice broke into his silence.

"I need to examine her."

Wufei looked up into the face of the senior medic and reluctantly he let go of Sally's hand. He moved to the side of the room and sat in the chair there, his eyes never leaving the still form.

The medic quickly went about his task, checking Sally's vital signs and pleased to find them stable. He pulled the curtain around the bed, blocking Wufei's line of vision. He continued his examination speaking softly from time to time to the red haired nurse that had come to assist him.

Wufei stared at the curtain as he waited. His thoughts were jumbled in his head and he vainly tried to sort them out into some form of rationality. The pain he was experiencing in his heart at the mere thought that Sally was hurt and had been in grave danger upset him more than he cared to admit. He thought back over the past few years since the wars end. He had joined the Preventer group at Une's insistence. With the battles finally over he found he needed something to challenge him, both physically and mentally. Having been trained in the arts of his people and no longer having anything of his former clan left he found he was lost. No direction and nothing for him to do with his skills. The job provided him with the lifeline he needed. It offered him security, an anchor in his stormy life, a chance to use his skills for the benefit and well being of the colonies and earth and not just to be used as a puppet to destroy when and where it was ordered. He had also had the chance to work with Sally again.

The friendship had always been there. It had grown throughout the wars with the woman's assistance to their cause, and Wufei with his strong sense of honor and justice admired the woman for her ideals and beliefs. While he may not have always agreed with her he found in her a strong spirit, a worthwhile adversary and a kindred soul. She knew what they had all gone through, were going through and had supported them whenever and wherever she could. For that Wufei was eternally grateful, although he would never have admitted it at the time. She reminded him so much of Meiran. A proud woman who's sense of right and wrong were ingrained to the point of annoying. And so since the wars end they continued to work together, the friendship blossoming and strengthening even more.

Wufei was unsure just when his feelings began to change. They shared a home together, more for convenience and companionship at first, but over the time spent together they shared more than just the four walls. They grew closer together, confiding from time to time their fears and wants. Sally was the only female other that Meiran that Wufei truly felt comfortable with. Somewhere along the line he had lost his heart to the brown haired woman. The life they led together was the same as any married couple, the only two differences being that they had never slept together and were missing the piece of paper that made it all legal. Wufei was too much of a gentleman, and with his strict code of ethics there was no way he would consider taking the onna to his bed without first passing through the legal channels. He respected her too much to do something like that.

With Paul coming into their lives it only made Wufei more aware of their situation. He knew he cared deeply for Sally and that they made excellent parents. Her lightness alleviating his somewhat stronger overtones when it came to Paul's best interests. They made a good team and he didn't want to lose that. He sighed and rubbed his temples as his thoughts continued to run wild. Seeing her crumple to the ground, not knowing where she was hurt and if she was going to die brought the flood of emotion he had locked away so well back to the forefront. And it wouldn't be ignored any longer. He couldn't bear it if anything happened to her, he had already lost one dear soul and he was dammed if he would sit back and let another be taken from him without them knowing his true feelings for them.

Wufei felt his heart lighten a touch as he came to terms with his emotions. Finally accepting them for what they were and what they were telling him was the right thing to do, he smiled. His mind made up he looked up as the medic pulled the curtain aside and stood before him.

"I have completed the examination. She has a suspected fracture to the left wrist, also a few minor bruises. She is still unconscious but that is more from the body's natural reaction to the sudden shock from what we can tell. There may be concussion but we will have to wait until she regains consciousness to assess if there is. We are taking her for x-rays to determine the extent of the fracture and then we will know exactly how to treat it.

"Wufei nodded. "Can I see her?"

"Yes but only for a moment. We need to get that wrist x-rayed and set as soon as possible."

Wufei stood and moved around the curtain. Sally looked pale lying against the stark white sheets. The nurse had removed her clothing and she lay in a nondescript hospital gown of blue. Wufei took the hand and caressed it lightly. Leaning forward he placed a soft kiss to Sally's forehead. "No leaving me onna!" he stated simply. Wufei let his eyes roam over the woman's face and felt his heart twist as he took in the features so familiar to him. The vibrant person he was so used to sharing his life with lay pale and silent upon the bed. With a heavy feeling he moved away and allowed the nurse to return with a couple of orderlies to take Sally through for x-rays.

Wufei watched as Sally was wheeled out of the room and through the doors to the x-ray section. The other door opened and he swiveled around to see Une and Trowa enter.

"How is she?" asked Une quietly.

"She has a suspected fractured wrist, some bruising, possible concussion and is still unconscious. They have taken her for x-rays.

"Trowa moved to the Chinese man's side. "Sally's tough." he stated simply.

Wufei nodded. "Can someone let Paul know what has happened?"

"I'll go Wufei. I'll also let Quatre and the others know the current status as well." Une said.

"Thank you."

"Stay with him." Une said to Trowa.

"I will."

Une left to deliver the news to Paul and the others. She wasn't looking forward to it but she felt she should be the one to do it as she was after all the head of the department, besides, Trowa would be better off staying with Wufei, he knew the former pilot better than she did and would be better able to comfort him. Ordering her mind she braced herself for the ordeal ahead.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Quatre entered the suite to be greeted by three excited boys. Fending off their hugs and chatter he made his way further into the room. He couldn't repress the smile on his lips though as all three were trying to talk at once.

"It was cool Quatre..."

"We managed ta stop the bad guys..."

"Paul was great...."

"We followed them and listened in ta what's they was sayin..."

"But I missed out on the final word 'cause of Benny.."

"I couldn't help it.."

"Yes ya could, ya coulda held on.."

"But I needed ta go.."

"Hey.. hey.." Quatre admonished. "One at a time please."

Toby glowered slightly at Benny. Seeing the unease and distress in Benny's gray/blue eyes Quatre intervened again. "Sit down boys and tell me one at a time what happened okay?" Quatre sat and Toby and Benny took a seat either side of him, Paul sat in the chair opposite. Seeing Toby and Benny about to start their oral assault again he spoke quietly but with authority. "Paul, you speak first and tell me what happened. You two...." he looked at Toby and Benny, "...will get your chance in a moment."

Paul took a deep breath and then proceeded to tell Quatre all about their adventure. Quatre listened attentively and nodded in the appropriate places. It sounded like they had handled the situation with remarkable maturity. When Paul told him of Benny's need to visit the bathroom and his insistence that Toby accompany him he was secretly relieved. He hadn't wanted the young pair out there at all so the fact that they had both been safely out of the way when the signal had been given comforted him.

Toby gave a small sigh and Quatre looked at him. Paul finished and Toby was quick to speak up, beating Benny to the punch. "It wasn't fair." he whined. "We gota miss the important bit cause Benny had ta go."

Quatre ran his hands through his messy hair, he could feel a headache coming on. How he wished Trowa was here to help him deal with this. It wasn't often that the terrible twosome argued but when they did it was usually Trowa who sorted it out. Something about Trowa's soft, quiet but yet authoritative demeanor commanded respect and instant obeyance from the pair. It was as if they knew Quatre was the softer of their guardians and they exploited it.

"I'm sure Benny didn't do it on purpose Toby. He wasn't to know that the signal was about to be given, besides you have to remember just how hard this was for Benny to agree to doing."

Toby looked at Quatre and his eyes shimmered. "I know... I jus didn wanna miss out on all the action though."

Quatre ruffled his hair. "Well you all did a wonderful job and I'm proud of you." He smiled at them all.

Paul felt his chest swell with the praise, Benny and Toby also squirmed with delight.

"So what happened at your end Quatre?" asked Paul.

Quatre stared at the dark haired teen. "Well it all happened rather fast..." He proceeded to tell them about Evans and the pager going off and the resulting scuffle.

"Yer okay ain't ya?" asked Benny, his eyes wide at the thought that Quatre could have been hurt.

Toby watched quietly. The fact that Quatre and Trowa were also in danger hadn't entered his head. He had been too caught up in the excitement of their own involvement to even consider the possibility that the others were also risking their lives and could have been injured.

"Yes I'm fine."

"So this guy Evans tried ta have a go at yer Quatre?" whistled Paul.

"Yes we did come to a short but violent confrontation."

"And Miss Relena helped ya out?" added Benny.

"Yes she did Benny. She's a very brave woman."

"Cor.. I wish I coulda seen her smack him one." said Benny as his eyes took on a dreamy look.

Quatre had to stifle the giggle he felt at Benny's comment. "You have to remember Benny, violence is not the way to go. Anything in life can be achieved if you go about it the right way and resorting to violence only leads to more violence and a lot of innocent people getting hurt. Allah knows I have seen and experienced enough of it." Quatre's eyes turned sad at the memories of the wars.

Suddenly Toby lunged forward and threw his arms around Quatre. He buried his small face in Quatre's shoulder and sobbed silently.

Surprised at the sudden attack Quatre wrapped his own arms around the boy's shaking form and tried to soothe him. Stroking his back softly he murmured, "What is it Toby? What's wrong?"

"I never... I didn fink that Trowa or you might be in danger too." he sobbed out.

"It's okay Toby. I understand. We all have to take risks from time to time to make sure that the earth and colonies can still exist together. " He continued to stroke Toby's back. "Trust me Toby when I say that Trowa and I are not planning on going anywhere. We both have too much here to live for."

Feeling Toby's pain Benny wormed his way into the embrace and added his own voice to the quiet exchange. "I don want Trowa or you ta leave us either Quatre. We love livin with yer both. I knows we are bad sometimes an we really does try hard ta be good..." Benny hung his head as he tried to find the words to express both his own and Toby's feelings. During the time they had spent with Trowa and Quatre they had grown to love the two ex pilots. Their squalid existence back on L2 was fast becoming a blur and neither boy wanted to return to that lifestyle. The events of the past twenty four hours brought home to Benny that Trowa and Quatre were not the seemingly indestructible pair that he and Toby had believed them to be. They were human just like them and the fact that they could have lost both of them was just making itself known. Granted they were not your ordinary men by any means, as Quatre had told them before, they were trained assassins, soldiers and former Gundam Pilots... this had led Benny into a false sense of security and now he realized that underneath all that training they hurt and bled just the same as the rest of them.

"I know Benny, I know. Believe me when I tell you that Trowa and I both love you two so much and we plan on sticking around for a long time yet." Quatre hugged the pair close and was relieved to feel the emotions settle. He looked across at Paul who had remained silent throughout the entire exchange. He tried to read the boy's thoughts from his facial expressions and deep blue eyes.

Paul was lost in his own thoughts. While he was aware of the nature of Wufei's work and the risks involved he hadn't really given a lot of thought to the possibility of Wufei being hurt. He was now beginning to understand himself a little of just how dangerous the situation they had helped to resolve had been.

The tensions in the room were broken with a knock at the door. Quatre looked up. "Ahh that will probably be Sally." He stood to go and open the door.

"What's Sally doin here?" asked Toby suspiciously.

"Une was sending her to check me over and make sure I'm okay after my little misadventure." smiled Quatre wryly.

"Rather she's pokin you than me." muttered Benny.

Paul smiled. He knew first hand what it was like to be poked and prodded by Sally. He had learnt to keep minor scrapes and bruises to himself after suffering from her well intentioned treatment in the past. It therefore came as a shock when Quatre opened the door to find Une standing there, a grim expression on her face.

"Lady Une." said Quatre as he tried to hide his shock. "I was expecting Sally."

"I know Quatre. Look can I please come in? I have some rather disturbing news and the hallway isn't the place to discuss it."

"But of course, please come in, have a seat." Quatre ushered the woman quickly inside. He felt his heart begin to pound as he wondered what the news was. Reaching out with his empathy he sought Trowa's life force and was comforted to find it still strongly present.

The three boys all turned and watched Lady Une suspiciously. They all had the same thought racing through their minds. Just what was it she was here for?

Une sat and folded her hands in her lap. She cleared her throat and then looked at the small group. "Before anyone jumps to conclusions the virus has been stopped and those responsible are in custody."

There was a collective sigh from the group.

"However....."

Four pairs of eyes glued themselves to her again.

"However, during the arrest of Nylan and Carter we had a small problem." She looked directly at Paul. "Wufei arrested Carter while Trowa pursued Nylan. During the pursuit Nylan took a hostage. He threatened to kill unless he was allowed to leave freely. Trowa prevented this but during the restraint the hostage was hurt."

Paul felt his mouth go dry. Why was Lady Une directing this speech at him? An empty feeling began to manifest in his heart as he tried to sort out what Une was saying.

"I'm afraid the hostage was Sally."

Paul felt as if his whole world had just stopped. The room seemed to spin around him as time halted and everything else went into slow motion.

"Oh my god." said Quatre as his hand flew to his mouth in shock.

Quickly Une continued. "The medic's are with her now, she's going to be okay as far as we know. All the information I have so far is that she has a suspected broken wrist, possible concussion and minor bruising. I don't know anymore as she was unconscious. They were taking her through for x-rays when I left. Wufei and Trowa are there with her."

"Ohh Paul." Said Quatre as he moved towards the dark teen. "I'm so sorry, I'm sure Sally will be okay."

Paul sat in stunned silence. His thoughts raged through his head.... Sally... Sally was hurt. He heard Une explain what they knew of her condition but it failed to comfort him in any way. "No!" he screamed as he buried his face in his hands.

Instantly Quatre was beside him, pulling the boy into his strong arms. Paul fought the embrace, repeatedly screaming the word no as he pounded his fists against Quatre's chest and tried to drag himself free. Quatre hung on for dear life. The blows were not hard and were directed more from frustration than pure anger and Quatre could sympathize with the boy. He held on until Paul finally slumped in defeat against him. Cradling and rocking him, Quatre whispered soothing words into his ear as he caressed his back, effectively calming the boy somewhat.

Toby and Benny watched as the scene unfolded before them. Both were shocked by the news and felt deeply their friends pain and distress. Not knowing what to do they sat and watched helplessly as Quatre did his best to comfort the shocked teen. When Paul's cries had reduced to whimpers and his body stilled they moved forward and added their own gentle touches to Quatre's.

Une watched as Paul reacted to the news. She had expected something like this but nothing quite so intense. Une began to see for the first time just how deep the bonds ran between the boys and their adoptive parents, it warmed her heart. Once Paul was back under control Une stood. "I'm sorry to have been the bearer of such sad news but I wanted to tell you myself and as quickly as possible. I will be going now, I am heading back to see how she is and what is happening."

Paul looked at her through tear streaked blue eyes. "Thank you for lettin me know." he hiccupped out.

Une moved over to him and in a gesture never before seen she placed her hand on Paul's shoulder and squeezed lightly. "You're a brave boy Paul, Sally is proud of you as is Wufei. I can't begin to thank you enough. All of you..." she said as she looked at the rest of the group then returned her eyes to Paul, "...have done a wonderful job in preventing what could have been a major disaster and possible war. For that I am deeply indebted to you. I just wish this had a happier ending. Sally will be okay Paul... I promise you that." Une smiled softly.

"You better go Une." said Quatre. "I'll contact Relena and let her know what has happened and see if she can stay with Toby and Benny for me, then I'll bring Paul to the medical facility."

"Thank you Quatre." Une turned and took her leave. She headed swiftly back to the medical center to see what was happening there.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Trowa sat in silence next to the Chinese Preventer. In all their time together he could only recall ever seeing the ex pilot show emotion once; and that was when his duel with Treize ended in the former generals death. He had known for some time that Sally meant more to Wufei than the man was aware of. Just the soft subtle undertones of their conversations, the little things that Wufei had said without being aware of it, the body language.... Trowa had learned to read people quite well over his young life and had interpreted Wufei's signals correctly.

He placed a reassuring hand on Wufei's shoulder. "They will attend to her properly. She will be okay Wufei."

Wufei turned his haunted black depths to meet with Trowa's emerald stare. "She could have been killed." he said quietly.

"Could have. But she wasn't."

Wufei sighed.

"You need to let her know Wufei."

Wufei leant forward and rested his head in his hands, the ebony silk of his unbound hair fell around his face concealing it from Trowa's view. "Tell me Trowa, is it that obvious? And if so why haven't I realized it before now? Why did it have to take something like this to happen before I could work it out for myself?"

Trowa took a moment to compose his thoughts. "I'm no expert on relationships Wufei. In answer to your questions no it is not that obvious. I have just learnt to read people, and from what I can interpret you show that you care deeply and underneath that care is another emotion... one of which you have to embrace yourself before you can let it out. As for the last question. We all hide our emotions and feelings. We had to. It was trained into us all during the war. We could not afford to show any weakness as our enemy would exploit it. It's hard to shed that training Wufei. Look at Heero."

Wufei had to smile as he thought of the stoic former Perfect Soldier.

"And myself. It took Heero two years to accept that he loved Duo. But it took Duo's near death to get him to admit to that. As for myself...." Trowa paused as he thought back. "I was in denial. I never thought I was good enough for the one I loved, that we could possibly have a chance with each other. It took a similar incident for me to accept that my love was returned and accept it for what it was."

Wufei thought on Trowa's words.

"I'm going to give you a little piece of advice Wufei. Follow your emotions. Someone once said this to me a long time ago and while everything may not always go the way you hoped or planned if you follow what your emotions tell you then you will come out on top." Trowa squeezed Wufei's shoulder lightly before removing his hand and watching the Chinese Preventer carefully for a reaction.

Wufei tossed the speech of Trowa's around in his mind. All the words rang true and he knew he had taken the first step by admitting to himself that he felt more than friendship for the onna that had invaded his life.

Trowa watched as the emotions flitted across Wufei's face. He could see the gears shifting in the man's head as he processed the information and was warmed by what he saw. Wufei had just crossed the first hurdle; acceptance of his own feelings.

Wufei turned again to Trowa. "Thank you." he said softly.

"Anytime Wufei. We all need friendship and the ties between us five run deep, but we also need more. We need love. Don't deny yourself that happiness."

Further conversation was prevented as the doors to the room opened and the orderlies returned with Sally. Wufei stood quickly and moved to her side. Trowa stayed where he was knowing the dark haired man needed time alone with the woman he loved. Sally was wheeled back behind the curtain once more and the senior medic approached Wufei.

"The wrist is fractured in two places but the break is not complicated. I shall prepare what I need and then take her through to set it."

Wufei nodded. "Thank you."

"We also ran a CAT scan of her head and I'm pleased to say all is clear so I can pretty much say there will only be mild concussion if any."

Wufei looked relieved.

"I'll be back shortly." The senior medic left to prepare the plaster bandages and other things he would need to set the injured limb.

Wufei pulled a chair up close to the bed and took Sally's hand again. Softly running the pad of his thumb across the back of her hand he stared at her still form. "Thank god you aren't any more seriously hurt onna." Wufei bowed his head slightly as he continued to speak in a low tone. "Sally... I know we are happy together and that you do not ask more of me than I can give. For that I am grateful but after today's happenings I have come to understand something about myself, something I have been hiding from." His breath hitched slightly. "I have to say this even if you cannot hear me, I will repeat it to you when you awaken but for now I want you to know that I cannot bear the thought of living without you. I... I... I think I am in love with you Sally."

So intent on finding the courage to speak his mind, Wufei had failed to notice that Sally was awake and had heard every word of the gentle confession. Her eyelids fluttered and it took her a few moments to realize where she was. She felt the presence of another in the room and the low monotone informed her it was Wufei. As her mind cleared a little she heard the last few words of his sentence.

"I... I... I think I am in love with you Sally."

Her heart skipped a few beats as the words filtered into her still fuzzy brain. At first she thought she must be dreaming. Vainly she tried to recall what had happened. She remembered colliding with someone and hurting her wrist. Then she could see Trowa and Wufei... Wufei had been screaming as something silvery sliced through the air and then nothing. She frowned as she forced her aching head to try again and remember what had happened but that was all it was prepared to allow. And now this confession from Wufei? She had to be hallucinating. Yes that was it, a dream, she was locked in a dream. But since when did a dream involve physical touch?

Slowly she opened her eyes and drew in a sharp breath. Wufei was sitting beside her and... holding her hand?

Wufei looked up as he heard the intake of air. A blush tinged his cheeks as he realized Sally was awake. The embarrassment quickly turned to relief though as he studied her face. He could see confusion there as she obviously fought to remember.

"Wufei?"

"Yes, I am here."

"What happened?"

Wufei proceeded to tell her of the man Nylan's taking her hostage and the resulting gun shot as he met with Trowa's knife.

"Thank god Trowa is a good shot." she managed to say wryly. "Must remember to thank Catherine next time I see her too." she added.

"How do you feel?"

"I have been better. My wrist hurts like a bitch and I have one hell of a headache but other than that I'm doing just dandy."

Wufei smirked. "You have a double fracture of the wrist. The senior medic will be back shortly to take you through and set it."

"Ahhh. So that explains that. But Wufei..."

Wufei looked at her warily. "Yes?"

"I think I was having this really weird dream."

"Oh?"

"Yeah. I dreamt you said you cared for me... more than just a friend."

Wufei swallowed hard and then followed through on his emotions as Trowa had advised him to. What was the worst that could happen? "It wasn't a dream onna." He clutched her hand a little tighter. "When I saw you collapse I didn't know if you had been shot or not and it scared me. Sally I have lost so much in my life that I wouldn't allow myself to accept that I cared for you; cared for you more than a friend. I didn't want to admit that I loved you and suffer the pain of hurt all over again. Seeing you lying there reminded me that while you may not have known the depth of my feelings for you, I did, and regardless of my acceptance and your knowledge of such the hurt would still be there. I do love you Sally."

Sally's eyes misted over. She hadn't dreamt it after all. She knew what it had cost the proud man to admit his weakness to her and that only made her heart swell even more. She tightened her own grip around his hand and stared into his onyx depths. "I'm glad you have accepted what you feel Wufei and I know how hard it must be for you to admit to it, but know this. I have loved you also for some time. I was comfortable with our relationship the way it was as I would rather just have had your friendship than lose you completely because I wanted more."

Wufei's eyes widened at this little admission. "You mean you have loved me in return and were prepared to just share your life with me without letting me know just so as our friendship would continue?"

"Pair of idiots aren't we." Sally stated with a smile.

Wufei ran his hand through his hair and sighed. "Yes we are."

"So, where do we go from here?"

"I think the first step is to get you well again and then we need to sit down and discuss this."

"Always the logical one Wufei."

Wufei growled as Sally laughed.

The medic returned along with the orderlies. "Good you're awake." he said "I need to take you through and set the wrist. I will explain to you on the way what has happened and the resulting injuries and check you over once more."

"Fine, fine, whatever you say just lets get on with it." Said Sally. She just wanted it all to be over with so she could let her mind wander over the new revelations.

"I'll be waiting right here." Said Wufei as he leaned forward to press a kiss to Sally's forehead.

Sally smiled. "Does Paul know?"

"Yes. Une has gone to inform both Paul and Quatre of the current status."

"Is he okay?"

"As far as I know."

The orderlies began to maneuver the gurney, impatient to get going.

"I'll see you soon."

Wufei leaned in once more to place a kiss on Sally's cheek but the woman had other ideas. Swiftly she turned her head so as her lips met with his. Slightly shocked Wufei didn't pull back, in fact he pressed closer and deepened the kiss. Parting he stared into her twinkling depths.

"Okay guys, take me to get plastered." she said in an attempt to joke and break the sudden heat in the room.

Wufei watched as they wheeled her out. He felt his soul lighten somewhat, pleased and comforted in the knowledge that his deep seated affection was returned. He went back out to where Trowa was awaiting him.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~