Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ United Hearts ❯ Chapter 9

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimer: I don't own the G boys. They belong to their respective copyright companies. I do however own Shane, Paul, Colin, Mickey, Benny, Toby and any other unfamiliar characters. I also own the plot if you can call it that.

Pairings: 1x2x1, 3x4x3, 5+S

Rating: NC 17

Warnings: Angst, Yaoi, Shonen-ai, violence, language, references to rape, sap, blood, Death (not one of the boys), Lemon/Lime, medical stuff, and any other weird thing that comes out of my head.... be afraid...

Notes: This is the sequel to "Lost Souls." While it is not necessary to read "Lost Souls" first I do recommend it otherwise some of the occurrences may not make sense. The references to medical procedures, medical reports, autopsies etc. are entirely based on my own pathetic knowledge of such and so I apologise in advance for any incorrectness contained there in. :)

" United Hearts "

Aug. 2002 ShenLong

Chapter 9

The limousine pulled up outside the main entrance to the United Earth and Colonies complex. Toby and Benny both had their faces plastered to the window as they took in the vastness of the estate. Rashid punched a code into the small box at the side of the huge gates and waited patiently for clearance. The gates began to move open and Rashid eased the car forward. They drove along the tree lined roadway until they met with a second set of gates, these ones were manned. The guard stepped forward and Rashid handed him the documents he requested. Checking through them the guard checked against the passengers before handing the papers back and motioning Rashid to proceed. Rashid continued along and brought the limo to a stop outside the main doors.

"Wow this place is huge!" exclaimed Toby.

"Cor.... I thought we was gonna get lost at home.... Lookin at the size of this joint yer gonna need a weeks supply of food just ta navigate it." said Benny. "Ow come it's so big?"

"Well it is the meeting place for all the heads of the colonies and earth, there is the main convention center along with hotel, restaurants, and smaller meeting rooms as well as staff quarters. It was set up so as the meetings can be held with minimal security risk." replied Quatre.

Rashid had exited the car and was busy unloading the boot. The main building was guarded by two very large men in Preventer uniform. One approached Rashid to ask for documents. Handing them over Rashid continued with his task. The guard spoke quickly on his radio and handed the papers back.

Toby suddenly gave a delighted squeal as he spotted Trowa and Wufei coming out of the building. "Trowa!" he cried and then jumped from the car to race into the uni-banged man's arms. Benny was only a hairs breath behind him.

Swinging the little boy high in the air Trowa grinned at them both. "I trust you were both good for Quatre?"

"Course we was." came Benny's indignant reply. "Hi there Wufei."

Wufei smiled at the two boys. "How are you both?"

"We're just great!" came the enthusiastic response. "Is Paul here?"

"Yes he is. Once we get you all in and through the security checks I will take you to him."

Quatre came up to his lover and gave the tall Latin a hug. Trowa set Toby back down so as he could embrace Quatre properly. "Miss me?" he asked.

Quatre answered by fiercely kissing his lover. "Now what do you think?"

"I'd say by that kiss that you did."

"So what time do you knock off?" asked Quatre coyly.

Trowa smiled in amusement at the blonde. "Soon enough my love, soon enough. Let's get you cleared and issued with your passes then I can take you to our suite."

"Whatever you say. Lead on then Trowa..... Wufei." said the blonde as he nodded to Wufei.

Rashid followed them with the luggage to the main reception area. They had to pass through what appeared to be a tunnel from the main entry to the foyer. Wufei explained to the boys that it was a large scanner machine of sorts. As you walked through so your images were scanned and matched against the data banks, at the same time a check was run to expose any hidden weapons or objects that may be terrorist linked.

Toby gazed around him in awe. "So this machine thingy can tell ya if someone's carryin a gun?"

"Yes it can. I will take you into the main control room later and show you how it works." offered Wufei.

"That would be so cool. Thanks Wufei."

"No problem. Now lets get your passes shall we?"

After having cleared all the tedious but necessary security checks the small group found themselves with an identity tag and security number and a rather excited pair of boys.

Trowa took them to the main Hotel building where they once again had to clear security. This time it was quicker though as they had their passes now. Trowa patiently explained to Benny and Toby that they needed to swipe their pass and then hold still for a moment while the camera scanned them and confirmed their identity with the pass and data banks.

Soon enough they had made it to their suite of rooms and Rashid gratefully put the bags down. Benny and Toby immediately went exploring. The main room was set out as a living area with the bathroom and two bedrooms adjoining it. Rashid and Lucy were in a similar suite across the hallway and Paul was sharing a suite further down with Wufei.

The boys came bounding back into the room full of descriptions of what they had discovered. Wufei took note of the slightly frazzled look that was beginning to appear on Quatre's face and knowing the Arab had a lot of work still to do he decided that now was probably the best time to remove the terrible twosome and give the blonde some much needed peace.

"Toby, Benny, come with me please. I shall take you to Paul and he will give you both a tour of the hotel and surrounding areas available for you to utilize." Wufei looked at Quatre for confirmation and Quatre nodded back, a relieved smile on his lips.

Though he loved the pair deeply and would protect them to his dying breath, he had a mountain of work to process and get into order ready for the start of the convention and talks tomorrow. If he could get through it all by this evening then they would all have time to be together and relax.

Wufei took the boys by the hand and exited the room. As he left he quickly spoke to Trowa. "We are needed back in the main entry. Five minutes."

Trowa nodded and then returned to his lover. "I'll leave you to get on with your work. Paul will look after Benny and Toby so don't worry about them. I will be finished around six and have arranged for dinner at seven." Trowa reached for Quatre's lips and placed a tender loving kiss on them before heading back to work.

Sighing softly Quatre picked up his briefcase and went across to Rashid and Lucy's suite to finish off the paperwork.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Heero, Duo and Shane collected their bags and exited the shuttle. Stepping into the space port they were met by one of the Preventer agents and escorted to a waiting car which took them to the hotel that Une had booked them into. Having checked in and located their rooms they met in Heero and Duo's room to work out where to start their inquiries from.

"From these records that Une gave me it seems that most of the kids ran in sector 146. I suggest we start with ya friend Andy, Shane, and see if he can give us any more information." said Duo.

"Okay. I have a rough idea where most of the kids hang out so it shouldn't be too hard ta find em."

"Hn. I will go down to the central police office and go through their files, I'll also check the records from the coroner's office and the morgue. Once I have a list of all the people that had anything to do with these cases I will start talking to them and see what I can find out."

Duo looked at his watch. "So what's the mission time frame then?"

"Hn. Five hours. We re group here at five thirty. Then we can discuss what we have found out and work from there."

"Ohh I love it when yer in mission mode Hee-chan." snickered Duo.

Heero reached into his bag and pulled out a couple of small communicators, he passed one to Duo. "Here, take this. "

Duo took the small device and slid it into the pocket of his jeans. "Right all set, let's go Shane."

Shane stood up and made his way to the door, Duo and Heero right behind him. They stood on the sidewalk out the front of the hotel and Heero pulled Duo to him for a quick kiss.

"Be careful Duo."

"I will koi. You make sure you do the same okay?"

"Hn. See you both back here at five thirty."

"Bye Heero." said Shane as he and Duo turned and headed off down the path towards the poverty stricken areas of L2.

They walked in silence each lost in thought as the streets reminded them both of what they had gone through and how far they had come. Each had their own memories and while similar they were still vastly different. The scenery began to change as the buildings became shabbier and the people in the street became darker and less well clothed.

Shadows flitted between buildings and in the dark recesses of the alleys. Here and there were street walkers some hanging around on the corners, others ambling along keeping keen eyes open for a prospective 'client'. Duo's eyes saddened as the memories came flooding back. He saw a young boy, probably no more than ten or eleven talking with an older man. He watched as the boy nodded his head and then took the man by the hand to lead him down an alley. As they passed by Duo couldn't help but stare down into the shadows to see the man leaning against the wall with his pants around his ankles and the boy on his knees in front with his head buried in the man's groin.

"Should be just around this corner." Shane's voice brought Duo out of his mindless wanderings.

Duo looked down the dirty street, it was the same as all the others. Here and there piles of rotting garbage lay with small dirty children playing amongst the refuse oblivious to the microscopic army that lay within just waiting for the opportunity to attack. He shivered as his own memory reminded him once more what he had come through.

Approaching a small alleyway a young child darted out and collided with Shane. Automatically grabbing the child Shane spun them around to see who had nearly knocked him off his feet. Wide terrified eyes stared back at him. "Hush little one." said Shane, careful to keep his voice gentle. "I'm not going ta hurt you."

The child struggled in the grasp, the fear never leaving her eyes. Realizing she wasn't going to get away any time soon she slumped as all the fight went out of her.

"That's better." crooned Shane. "Hey maybe ya can help us?"

"Whadda yer want?"

"I'm trying ta find a friend of mine, Andy. He lives on the streets around here somewhere. Do yer know im?"

"Mebby I does an mebby I doesn't."

Duo chuckled to himself. The girl, while only young, had certainly learnt the ways of the street kids fast. He reached into his pocket before crouching to rock on his heels in front of her. "What's yer name sweetie?"

"Not tellin." came the sullen reply.

"It's really important that we find this boy called Andy. All I need from you is to tell me where he usually hangs out." Duo waved his hand under her nose. "I'll give you fifty credits if ya can help us out."

The girl eyed the credits and licked her lips. She was all too familiar with the lack of money for food and this seemed like the perfect opportunity to get some with minimal effort. Her eyes narrowed again as she studied Duo and Shane. "Where yer from? Yer speak like us but yer too well dressed an fed to be rats." she asked suspiciously.

Duo gave her his best winning smile. "We used ta be rats but now we have a better life so I know what yer suffering through here. This is why we need to find Andy, to try an give some more of you the better chance to live." It wasn't a lie Duo knew that. He couldn't lie. He just neglected to add some facts, namely the one that they needed to find where this killer virus was coming from and prevent any more deaths.

Making up her mind the child nodded. "Okay. Andy an the gang have moved a couple a blocks down thata way." she nodded her head in the direction. "Now canna have the credits?"

Duo passed them over and placed his hand gently on the girls head. "All yours sweetie and thanks." He ruffled her hair gently and nodded to Shane to release her.

Shane let her go and she was off in a flash. Ducking down a side street she vanished from sight. Shane looked at Duo a small smile played across his lips as he remembered how Duo had handled the young child.

"Come on then Shane, lets get going." said Duo and began to walk in the direction the child had indicated.

Shane followed still musing over the child.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Heero rotated his neck in an effort to relieve the kinks and stiffness. He rubbed his eyes and sighed. Getting up from the small desk he went out to the coffee machine and refilled his cup before settling once more to the task at hand. A small map lay to one side and the laptop glowed faintly as Heero continued to work. Small red dots appeared scattered in no particular pattern across the map's surface indicating where each body had been found. Transferring the data to his lap top Heero hoped that Duo and Shane would be able to supply him with the points of disappearance of each of the kids and maybe... just maybe a pattern would emerge, but he didn't hold too much hope. So far it seemed that the only connection besides the virus was each was male, young and a rat that no one was likely to miss. He frowned as he continued to scan through the reports and statements. He hoped that Duo and Shane were having better luck.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Rounding another corner Duo and Shane found themselves staring at yet another dirty street with abandoned buildings. Duo looked at Shane and Shane shrugged his shoulders. "I'd say they hafta be living in one of these buildings."

"Okay, Better start looking then." Plunging his hands into his pockets Duo moved down the street to a building that looked reasonably habitable. The door hung off its hinges and several of the windows were broken. Treading softly he moved inside.

The interior was dark and dank. The smell of vomit hit his nostrils and he fought the urge to add his own to the piles scattered around. Surveying the area he noted it had been a while since anyone had been inside. He motioned to Shane to head back outside.

Once in the sunlight he drew gulps of stale air into his lungs trying to expel the scent of vomit from his nose. "No one has been in there for a while, lets try another one." A quick movement to one side caught Duo's attention as he followed Shane into the next building.

Returning once more from a fruitless search he again spotted the figure as it darted into a building further down. He nudged Shane and spoke quietly. "Fifth building up on the right."

Shane nodded and casually looked in the direction. "Got ya."

They proceeded down the street once more and stopped outside the building. Looking at the gaping doorway Duo noticed the disturbance of the dust indicating that people had been passing in and out on a regular basis. Carefully they moved inside and followed the hallway down. Several doorways led off from either side, some still had the doors somewhat attached but most were missing.

Glancing into each room as they passed Duo noted the odd mattress scattered here and there and evidence of occupancy, although where the tenants were he had some idea. Probably out working the streets or hiding. The hairs on the nape of his neck began to prickle and he instinctively knew they were being followed. Rather than alert Shane he slid quietly into the shadows of a doorway and crouched low waiting.

Shane continued on ahead completely oblivious to the fact that Duo had disappeared. He continued to look for signs of life but found no human inhabitants. Suddenly he jerked around as he heard a scuffle break out behind him.

Duo crouched silent and waiting. The form slinked past the doorway and crept closer to Shane. Duo could see the pale glint of a knife blade and chuckled softly to himself. With the swiftness, grace and silence of a cat, the former God of Death was upon his prey before they knew what had hit them.

One arm hooked around the throat while the other reached and grasped the wrist rendering the knife useless. A swift knee to the back and follow up swipe of the foot cleaned the legs out from underneath and the boy crumpled to the ground. Instantly Duo had him on his stomach, arms restrained and knife tossed into the corner.

Shane returned to find Duo straddling another boy and pinning him effectively to the ground. His eyes opened wide as he saw the knife and realized what Duo had just done.

"Now my friend..." hissed Duo into the boy's ear, "I want to know where I can find Andy."

The boy remained obstinately silent.

Shane came closer and stared intently. It was a little dark to make out the features completely but the boy looked familiar. "I think I know this kid Duo. Do ya think ya can turn his face a bit so I can see clearer?"

Duo obliged and pulled the boy to his feet. Still holding tightly to the arms he backed his captive to the wall.

Shane moved closer for a better look. "Is that you Gary?" he asked as he studied the dirt encrusted boy.

"Sh... Sh... Shane?"

"Yeah its me buddy."

Duo released the hold and allowed the boy to move. Instantly Shane and the boy called Gary hugged each other.

"It's really you Shane.... Didn' think I was ever gonna see yer here again."

"Yeah well I came ta see Andy 'bout somethin important."

"Andy ain't here at the moment but he should be back soon." Gary looked at Duo with a hint of fear in his eyes. "Who's the other dude?"

Shane smiled. "Gary this is Duo, he's one of my guardians now."

"Aint he the one ya took care of an then went to earth wiv?"

"Yep I'm the one." smiled Duo as he extended his hand. "The one and only Duo Maxwell. Pleased to meet ya Gary."

Gary eyed the hand suspiciously.

"I promise not ta flip you over or toss ya to the floor." snickered Duo.

"Yer good man..... I'll give ya that. No one usually gets the jump on me."

"Let's just say I've had a bit more practice than you." smiled Duo as the boy warily shook his hand.

"So can we hang out here till Andy gets back?" asked Shane.

"Sure, come down here, it's a bit cleaner." said Gary as he took in the better dress of his companions.

Duo and Shane followed him into another room and made themselves comfortable on a couple of wooden boxes.

"So what's so important ya had ta come ta see Andy 'bout?"

"Its about Kev an Jim."

"Oh."

Duo took over the conversation. "We are trying to find out where they were last seen and who they had contact with before they disappeared."

"Yer think somefin fishy append to em?"

"Yeah we do. That's why we need to find out as much as we can about their last known movements."

"Well I dunno if I can elp yer much. Andy might know more but I'll tell yer all I know."

"Thanks Gary, that will be a great start. Also if ya know where any of the other kids that went missin were last seen, that will help as well." said Duo.

Gary thought long and hard and then began his recital of all he knew. Duo took careful notes as the boy continued to speak.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Glancing at his watch Heero noted how much time had passed. He had a stack of information and notes transferred to his lap top. Now he needed to compare what he had unearthed with anything that Duo and Shane had come back with and hope to find a connection.

He replaced the files and folders on the sergeants desk and slipped the copied discs into his pocket before shutting down the lap top. He would just have enough time to head to the morgue and speak to the people there before rendezvousing with Duo and Shane back at the hotel.

Thanking the police officers for their cooperation Heero tucked the lap top under his arm and headed for the city morgue.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Duo was busy running what Gary had told him through his head. From the information he had received he could feel a pattern emerging but he needed to know a little more before he could be sure. Feeling another presence he stopped his musings for a moment and looked up at the door.

Shane suddenly jumped up and shot across the room as he recognized his old friend. Enveloping the other teen in a bear hug Shane greeted the boy enthusiastically. "Andy! How ya doin mate?"

Andy laughed, "I'm fine Shane but it sure is good ta see you again."

The two boys exchanged pleasantries for a moment before Shane remembered Duo and introduced them. Shaking the younger teens hand Duo gauged him to be around 14 or 15, with a cheeky grin and sparkling green eyes.

"So what's this about Kev? Did ya find somethin?"

"Well yes an no. We need to find out what you know about Kev an Jim's last movements before they disappeared." said Shane.

"No problem man, I'll tell yer anythin I can remember but I dunno if it will be any help."

Duo sat once more ready to take notes as Andy began to tell all that he knew.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~

A young child scanned the alley for any threat before venturing down. Swiftly he moved amongst the rubbish bins looking for anything edible. His clothes hung off his small lean frame and did little to keep out the biting wind. Pushing deeper into the darkness his face lit up as he located half a slice of moldy bread. Advancing on the target he had to chase a couple of rats away that were equally determined to have the morsel.

Chewing on the hardened crust he continued his search for more. As he moved deeper into the darkness he noticed a group of bins up ahead. Making his way towards them he was so intent on the treasure they may contain that he tripped and stumbled over something lying prone. He picked himself up and stared wildly at what had caused him to fall. His eyes widened with shock as he scooted backwards until he was up against a wall and could go no further. Shaking he stared again. It appeared to be a body. Curiosity got the better of him and he slowly inched forward. For all intents and purposes it looked dead. No movement and no noise. The object was reasonably well dressed and so the boys natural sense of self preservation came to the fore. He began to reach for the pockets to see if there was anything of value he could steal and hock. Who knows maybe there were credits hiding in there somewhere.

As his hands began to deftly search around suddenly the body gave a moan. The child jumped a mile and shot back against the wall. The head turned slightly and eyes opened. Seeing the small figure through a haze of pain The body drew on its last resources and spoke. "Please ...... help me......."

The child almost missed the whispered plea, so quiet it was. He warily approached once more, that's when he saw the dark stain spreading out from beneath the figure. He gasped and his hand flew to his mouth. He had seen blood and death before but that didn't mean he could get used to it. Making up his mind he quickly fleeced the man and removed anything of value, shoving it into baggy pockets to pawn off later, then he crouched low and whispered, "I'll send some help for yer mate." and then he was gone.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~

The restaurant was discreetly lit allowing privacy without complete darkness. Taylor watched as the tall elegantly dressed figure followed the waiter to the table. Allowing himself a small nod as the other man sat down he ordered two drinks and then proceeded to study the menu. Taking the cue the other man did the same. The waiter returned with the drinks and prepared to take the food order.

"I'll have the Fillet Mingion with fresh garden salad." said Taylor.

"Trout Almondine also with salad."

The waiter nodded and took the menus leaving the two men to talk in privacy.

"I must say the resemblance is remarkable. Dr P did a very good job."

"Yes he did, no one suspects a thing. Have you got the package?"

Taylor patted the bag next to him. "All here. Lets enjoy our dinner though first, I will explain the finer details after we have eaten."

~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~

The medics arrived within fifteen minutes of receiving notification of the victim. They scanned the alleyway but weren't surprised to find only the prone form there. The kid had long gone. Heaving the body over they saw the large bloodstain that adorned the chest and the pitiful attempt of the handkerchief to staunch the flow. Applying the necessary immediate treatment they lifted the man onto the stretcher and into the ambulance. Shutting the doors, one officer stayed in the back while the other drove to the nearest hospital. Judging by the wound and the dried blood the medic estimated the guy had been there for quite some time. It was a miracle he was still alive but he doubted he would live for too much longer.

As the journey continued so he thought on how this man could have ended up where he had. It was obvious from his state of dress that he wasn't a local of the area. A quick search of the pockets turned up nothing. He wasn't surprised, the street rats would have picked him clean of anything remotely valuable. He continued to search the unconscious form wondering what a man like this would be doing in a sector this bad.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~