Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Wasurenai yo - I won’t forget ❯ Chapter 9

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]
Disclaimers: I garner no profit from this fic. I don't own nor did I create the GW universe, I'm simply letting my imagination have its wicked way with the characters therein.

Warnings: Angst, AU, Duo torture, language

Pairings: 1+2, 1+R, 3+4, 5xS, eventual 1x2, 3x4

AN: I lost the thread to this one awhile back, bits and pieces trickling through. There's one more chapter to this so cross your fingers. ^_^'

Feedback is appreciated.

Wasurenai yo

by priscel

Nine

"Really, it wasn't a problem Bishop. You should keep a leash on the girl though," He left the den with a final nod to its occupants, his humorous tone not missed by them though he'd been serious.

"Perhaps, a muzzle too." He mumbled starting toward his room remembering Tamara nonstop yammering of 'I want Duo' before he blew, irately, up at the hair currently dangling in his face. He brushed it back and chuckled at the thought of moosing up his hair again. He shook his head, his feet moving to the left away from his room and out toward the pool, he doubted Duo would notice something like that. He fiddled with his bangs as he past the Doctor's open door, his steps slowing to a stop.

He had forgotten the Doctor's room was so close to the exit and his own. Though the older man was rarely there and it was odd that the usually private man had left his door open even if it was cracked. He was tempted just to leave it, and not be bothered. He smiled to himself, his amusement growing over his eagerness to runaway with the teen waiting in his car and how his original reasons flew out the window when heard him laugh. He'd make this work even if he was taking advantage... a little.

"Fred," he almost cursed, turning to the dark skinned man who exited the Doctor's room.

"Yea?" Hey pasted on a smile quickly replacing the one that fell. He noticed the slight quiver in his hands and had to resist the sudden urge fiddle with his hair. He wished he'd finished the whole cigar earlier. Although his smile became real at the thought of having someone to go back to, having someone waiting for him. Shit... He'd never been so out of sorts before. Not since-

"You're leaving?"

He nodded, not seeing where the older man was going but glad for the distraction from the meandering thoughts inside his head.

"Tell the Kid he should at least give us a proper goodbye." Hank half grumbled while crossing his arms over his chest in a lax manner even though his straight back posture told Fred more than enough. Fred let his smile grow, of course Hank would know who comes and goes through there as well what Duo's options were.

He was a cop after all, that was something he never let slip his mind. "I think he already did. You guys would make it harder for him to go even if you weren't trying."

"Yea, well," Hank paused looking sheepish, "he just kinda grows on ya I suppose. We have our own problems here." He cocked his head back to the door he'd left open and Fred brows raised in question knowing Hank was studying him, watching for some telltale reaction that'd give him away. At his clueless look, Hank just shook his head, his expression becoming thoughtful and concerned. "The Preventers are back again, some special group, investigating and obviously looking for someone. I would've taken him out of here myself but I'll leave you to it."

Before Fred could ask what had happen, Hank had stooped down to his level, his voice a whisper even though they were the only ones in the hallway, "Just so we have an understanding, he knows how to get in touch with me and if he tells me anything I don't like, you won't be able to hide."

Fred's lips twitched at the corners, his smile becoming a flash of a displeased grimace before settling into a tight one as he stepped back with an uncomfortable shrug. "Yea, yea. I got you..."

It was funny how much a person's background didn't fit their appearance but Hank didn't seem the type to accept people at face value. Fred was positive, that just like he'd checked the Doctor, Hank had tried to find any connections he had to the war and found nothing because the legal loophole of being seventeen at the end of the war. That legal lolly sealed his records from overly curious cops and any other enquiring minds. He laughed lightly, letting go of his apprehension, the doctor wouldn't remember him out of all the other students that he'd given physicals to or had been pushed through the Lake Victoria Academy. If the doctor tried to tie him to anything there was no proof but there would be questions if the old man decided to tell them about how he'd found him and Duo all cut up in the hall that time. Fred tried to peek around, putting in as much effort as any other person would and allowed Hank to easily block his view.

"Why are you still standing there? Get going."

He blinked at the half shove then shooing motion and thought it comical of a man Hank's size. If there was anyone that the Preventers would want to detain it would be him. He chuckled at the irony, "I'm going."

He was out the door and approaching the second hearth, where all their vehicles were parked on an elevated circular square- plateau since the last heavy downpour just when he heard the gas being pressed and a muffled girl's scream.

"Chyort poberi!" He cursed under his breath and thought the phrase described this situation perfectly as he ran to his car. There was no reason as far as he was concerned for Duo to floor it, unless he didn't know how to drive or he was trying to get away from something.

'And there's this thing with the clutch...' He shook his head when he realized what must have happened and nearly stumbled over two people on the ground in the process. He side stepped them and got a scowl in response as the brunette tried to calm the jerking motions of the blonde boy across his lap. He ignored them, half running and hoping the damage to his car wasn't as bad as the smoke suggested.

"Damn, he flooded the engine," he confirmed though the diagnosis didn't put Duo at fault, Fred's tense and knowing tone spoke more of his own. He examined the back before slapping his hand across it. His eyes flicked up to see through his tinted window when he felt a thump cause his car to shift beneath his hand.

He coughed, common sense evading him as he peered through smoke and tried to see nearly pressing his face to the glass. He arched a brown brow at the two pigtails that were the source of the movement. He saw Tamara get up and cling to the back of the drivers' seat as if she was afraid she'd fall again. He made his way over to the driver's side and found Duo slumped over on his right side in front of the stick shift. After trying the door on the driver's side and finding it locked, he banged on the passenger side door and then jiggled the handle. It never locked all that well in the first place and he was pleased that slacking off to fix it, as he had with other things, had proven to be useful.

"Duo?" He half climbed in, his hand resting on Duo's head, moving Duo's long bangs from closed eyes. The scar on Duo's right brow was becoming a large dark bruise against his pale skin with a new cut bleeding near his eye. He couldn't tell if he was hurt anywhere else from this angle.

Fred sat partially on the seat, one leg folded beneath him and reached for the bare bones first aid kit he always carried in his glove compartment. His hand closed on the plastic box. He smiled, looking fondly down at the banged up cover when the muscles in his back stiffened and he knew there was someone behind him. He felt the pressure on his arm just before he was yanked like a rag doll out of his car. He grunted, able to counter the pull-half toss thanks to his trained reflexes making it so he stumbled instead of hitting the ground as his attacker had intended. Fred glared at the messy haired man, who was the epitome of a brick wall daring something to hit it and test its solidity.

'Boy,' he corrected himself, but who was he kidding a brow inching up into the freefall of his bleached hair. He sized the boy up, flexing his shoulder and kept the frown from his face at the painful twinge he found coupled with a sting from the impression of fingerprints he was sure would be bruises by tomorrow and he wasn't one who bruised easily.

For a second, he entertained the thought of losing to him but only if it meant he wouldn't be beaten and left for dead at the end of it. He dismissed his libido, hardasses like him often warmed his bed then left in the morning - or ended up dead... and he'd had enough of that.

"Who- never mind that, just move out of the way," he demanded staring at the open passenger side door and the pale hand that twitched at his raised voice.

The sour looking boy must've seen his eye movement because he half turned to Duo, hesitant but distracted enough to partially turn his back on him. Fred started to smirk but it fell at the depth of compassion that replaced the cold expression on the boy's face. Fred gritted his teeth, 'this must be Yuy.'

'Heero,' he thought and recalled the many times he'd heard the name muttered by Duo in his sleep. It angered and compelled him at the same time as he stood frozenly with a dopey expression on his face. What he would give for that... but who had he'd been kidding to begin with? What had he been expecting?

It sure wasn't this. He felt a familiar calm enshrouding him. He couldn't find it in himself to resist it. A smile, the malicious echo of a time he'd been willing to forget, spread across his face. He felt it attempt to swallow up everything that was him. It reminded him of how easy it was to kill someone to get them out of the way. His smile became feral as he reached into the open space between his shirt and overalls then back. His fingers brushed intimately over the handle, warmed by his body heat and slick with his perspiration.

He gripped the handle of the sheathed knife that rested in an angle to the curve of his back and a calm breath slipped easily through the slight part of his lips. A dependable lover made of four inches of serrated steel that had never failed him; would never leave him. He glanced over his shoulder and found the blonde boy fumbling to find his feet, blood still running from his nose even though his hand was pressed against it. He found himself frowning again and then mentally shook it off, remembering a fragile looking countenance didn't mean a thing.

If Duo had done that to the boy then he wondered why the other one would be reacting like a watchdog. Fred pressed the flat of the blade against his lower lip, dismissing the blonde for the moment for the foolish brunette who had fully turned his back to him. Fred let his arm down slowly and drew the blade up against the inside of his arm, the black handled bottom showing through the fisted circle of his thumb and index finger. He could feel the adrenaline pumping through his veins. He could already feel the piercing the boy's flesh, see the blood as he walked up on the preoccupied teen arguing quietly with Duo.

"Stop it! Leave 'im alone." Fred watched dispassionately as Tamara, her arms decorated in a few scraps and her elbows looking rubbed raw, pulled on Heero's hair. He smirked as said teen batted her hands away with no more concern than one would have for a fly. Heero's back exposed and he remembered his little chat with Duo in his bed.

Fred's brows lowered, his grip on the blade going slack when he thought he heard something. He shouldered the dismayed teen to the side and ignored Heero's surprised sound as a whisper caught his ear.

"Say that again." He willed it, pulling himself out of that cold place even if he heard wrong. Heero grunted his disapproval but Fred didn't care much for him, slipping his knife back into its sheath instead of into the boy's back right where one kidney sat. Fred ignored him completely when he saw Duo push the silent teens' hands away.

Squinting dark blue-violets focused on him and Fred wondered if he had really heard his name or if the teen had mistaken him for someone else. Though Duo's gaze was muted in pain, he couldn't accept what his heart was hoping for... How could he? Duo would get his memories back and then he wouldn't want-

"'red..."

'Not 'Ced' or Cedric...' He shook off his daze, a goofy half smirk replaced the odd emotion he was beginning to think only Duo incited in him. "Yea, sorry Hon'. I would've been the first you laid those beautiful eyes on if the stiff hadn't tried to bury me a moment ago."

But living for now wasn't that bad. He shrugged mentally, there was no doubt about what he was doing, the choice he was making. He'd fallen and he wanted to see where it would take him.

"Don't 'all 'e that." Fred's smirk became a full smile, the last vestiges of what he'd been and what he was about to do pushed aside by that warm familiarity in Duo's voice. Fred placed both hands on Heero's shoulders, prepared to put some force into moving the boy when he flinched beneath his touch, moved wordlessly on his own accord. Fred gave him a curious glance, then climbed in and saw Duo lay his head back down with a painful moan and heavy breaths.

"Oh baby, if only you'd do that in bed," he teased, not surprised to hear Heero's feet stop mid shuffle. He winked at the girl's confused and blushing face, "When you're older malishka."

He was tempted to turn around and gloat but he couldn't tear his eyes away from Duo's shoulder moving in silent laughter before he groaned again. Fred's eyes glanced over on their own volition and found the gloomy brunette with the blonde who looked close to tears. He smirked, but he wasn't going to get his attention again and lord it over him who Duo chose. Not to say the temptation wasn't there. If you asked him, the guy's having a very fortunate day.

"Very..." Fred squinted, noticing the brunette pressing a white cloth to the other boy's nose. "Gauze..." then it occurred to him the stiff had pilfered it from his kit. His lips went into a tight line, he didn't have anything else and was tempted go cut him just for the hell of it. "Make him bleed a little," he muttered shucking the old papers in his glove compartment around until he found a few packs of 4x4 gauze. He tore off his shirt sleeve, his blade shifting against his back, reminding he'd a reason for putting it away and that didn't need it.

"'orry." Duo mumbled trying to get up and Fred helped him, letting him pillow his head against his knees. He noticed how Duo had calmed considerably if the slowing pulse beneath his fingers meant anything good.

"What for?" He doused his sleeve in antiseptic, tore it into manageable strips and began cleaning Duo's forehead. "It's not like you broke something, like my car for instance." Fred felt his smirk returning as he finished up, shifted the clutch and put station wagon on park to be on the safe side. He eased Duo's shirt over his head, noticing how the turtle neck stuck in some places.

Duo shifted in the quiet as Fred wiped his back and left it bare to open air. Fred squeezed Duo's shoulder when he continued to move not missing him hiss each time. "I'm no doctor but it's probably best if you don't wiggle around so much... You might just tempt me to forget you're injured." He said with a smile that wilted as Duo's started to close. "Hey, I perform best with you in attendance. Don't be sleeping and leaving me to do all the work."

Duo had one eye barely open and gave him a pained smirk.

Fred exhaled heavily, the rising panic he hadn't noticed before at the thought of Duo slipping away in his sleep made itself known. He pushed it down, ran a hand through his hair and tugged at the dyed strands in agitation.

When had this plan gone to hell... But he already had an answer to that.

Fred checked Duo's eyes; both blue-violet orbs were unevenly dilated. "Listen, I gotta get you to a doctor."

"No."

"Duo! I can't treat this, if I could I'd take you on to some place with good supplies but I'm not and Cedric's no good to anyone right now." Fred ignored Duo's look of surprise, he knew why the pilot was running now and not sooner. "When he wakes up, he doesn't need to know he's lost another brother."

Duo winced and nodded once before slumping in the seat.

"Don't go to sleep." Fred told him firmly and watched Duo for a few minutes, but he stayed away.

Fred started to walk away and then cursed under his breath - Tamara sat through all he’d said and stared at him with big glistening brown eyes. "Kid - Malishka, talk to him and scream at him if you have to, just make sure he doesn't go to sleep. Call my name the moment he does."

Tamara sat up straighter and nodded, rubbing at her eyes and sniffing when snot streaked from her nose. Fred grimaced and turned away to get help. He walked passed the brunette with a mutual nod of understanding, dashed back into the Inn.


Tbc...