Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Weather and Haul Wind ❯ Chapter 5 ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Gundam Wing Fan Fiction by White Wings
AU Fan Fiction
Rated for language and violence
Disclaimer:
“I refuse to write anything here concerning the fact that the names of the characters belong to someone else!
Its ridiculous, all the readers KNOW that already! Sheesh!”
NOTE: This is NOT a Yaoi FanFic, but you like it anyway don't you?
Weather and Haul Wind
Chapter 5
 
Heero hissed though clenched teeth as Wufei pulled the bandages on his shoulder tight. The dragon had removed the iron ball that had lodged itself in his arm with the careful precision of a surgeon. If it hadn't been for Wufei's insistent hounding Heero, still a bit dizzy from the blood loss, would have gone back to the wheel instead of sitting in the galley while the cook shoved food at him. But after two hours below deck Heero had to check that they were still on course and excused himself firmly from the black-eyed man's presence. They were still on course; he knew it the moment he stepped out on deck, but what made his full stomach knot was the carnage that littered Wing's deck. Here and there lay dead men, bleeding out onto the well polished wood, it would take a long time to get the stains out of it and Heero sighed in frustration. He hollered down to Wufei for assistance knowing that he'd never be able to accomplish the clean up without some help.
 
Wufei and Heero picked their way across the deck, stopping at each body to search it for valuables. They confiscated swords, jewelry, coins, and even the occasional pair of boots or hat. It was Wufei's idea to seize as much as they could from the pirates as payment for messing up the ship but Heero would much rather have just thrown the whole kitten-caboodle overboard. After they'd disposed of the bodies, giving them all an un-ceremonial burial at sea, Heero drew up some seawater and washed it over the deck. Wufei took up a long-handled brush and set about scouring the stains that weren't cleansed away with the initial soaking. By the time they'd finished the sun was starting to set and they were both exhausted. Mustering the last of his strength Heero furled the sails and dropped the anchor while Wufei went once again to the galley to prepare a meal.
 
Heero took the chance to slip back into his room, removing the blood-stained shirt from his back he tossed it moodily into a corner. There was no way to salvage it so he would tear it into strips and use it for bandages or the repairing of other clothing later. He was about to remove his blood and sweat soaked pants and let them follow the shirt when someone made a muffled yelp. He turned to find Duo's violet eyes staring at him through the darkness. He groaned, having completely forgotten that the thief was sleeping in his bed. Heero re-buttoned his pants and lit at lamp. Quatre garbled out a welcoming series of chips and mew before jumping off his perch at the edge of the bed to inspect the shirt that Heero had discarded.
 
“What happened to you?” Duo questioned groggily, still partially asleep, as he looked Heero up and down.
 
“Nothing.” Heero replied coolly, noting that the longhaired boy had obviously slept though the ruckus caused by the battle earlier that day.
 
“You look like hell... holy shit, did you get shot?” Duo sat up, causing two fluffy black balls to tumble off his chest into his lap. He yelped and almost fell out of the bed as two sets of fuzzy black ears perked and the young cats they belonged to yawed and stretched.
 
Giving the kittens a quick glance Heero recognized them at the two that he'd meet on the dock before they left Larker, He wondered how it was that they had snuck past him to get onboard but shrugged it off before picking them both up by the scruff of the neck.
 
“Troublemakers.” He murmured half-heartedly under his breath before setting them on the floor. The kittens mewed playfully before making their way over to where Quatre was still examining Heero shirt and instigated an impromptu wrestling match with the little Guardian.
 
Heero turned and dug a two pairs of clean pants out of the drawers and tossed one set to Duo. He stripped his off and replaced them with the clean pair before dawning a clean shirt as well. When he turned back around he found that Duo had done much the same and was standing next to the bed looking every bit as pitiful as Heero was sure he felt. The shirt that Heero had given him after removing the dress was about three sizes to large of Duo's slim form and it made him look even smaller. Heero tossed him a belt, one of the many accessories he'd “acquired” from the pirates. Duo wrapped it around his middle and cinched it tightly at his waist before giving Heero a broad grin.
 
“Come on.” Heero motioned that Duo should follow him before he wrapped his uninjured arm around Quatre's middle and carried him out the door.
 
Leading the way down to the galley Heero was followed by Duo and the two kittens who obviously thought that they had every right to go wherever they pleased, they were cats after all. Wufei had already set places for four when they arrived, he hadn't forgotten about Duo or Quatre. Everyone ate hungrily that night; filling their stomachs with whatever they could reach and after the galley was clean and all the supplies stored safely away Heero showed Wufie and Duo the crews' quarters. On the same level as the galley, each of the rooms housed three bunk beds and ample storage space in the form of shelves and drawers that were built into the wall. Each bunk was as carefully crafted as the rest of the ship; hand carved with intricate, almost un-noticeable, designs that gave the room a little more character. Duo clamed one of the top bunks while Wufie chose one on of the lower ones; the kittens curled themselves up on the bottom bunk of the bed Duo had chosen, while Quatre followed Heero back to his room. All of the Wing's crew slept fitfully and two weeks after their departure from Larker Island the island of Rednege finally came into view.
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- -----------------------------------
 
A lot had changed in two weeks. Duo had finally gotten his unruly long hair tamed and now wore it braded in thick plat that hung down to his hips. He still wore the oversized shirt that Heero had given him, as he had no cloths of his own, and from the many various accessories that the pirates had “left behind” he pieced together an outfit that he liked. Lots of dangly, shiny, things and pockets in which he kept trinkets and tools adorned his clothing. He had proclaimed himself the watchman and when he wasn't in the galley or sleeping he was in the crows nest. He was nimble, even more so than Heero, so when the time came to furl the sails for the night he could quickly scurry along the yards and secure the lanyards while Heero dropped the anchor.
 
Wufei had proven to be more than just an excellent cook; he also had some comprehension of navigation and even some medical knowledge to add to his skill in magic casting and sword proficiency. This left Heero open to looking after the ship from time to time. He could check for leaks, repair damages, and mend sails as well as other various choruses that were well suited for the young shipwright.
 
The kittens popped up everywhere. In the kitchen, in the hold, in the crows nest, and even in the crew beds! They were curious, as was normal for cats their age. The made a habit of catching and kittling mice and rats that had snuck their way into the cargo hold, they often left the vermin's carcasses neatly lined up on the bed that they had clamed as if they were trophies. Duo had named them eventually. The one with the got milk chin was Shin and the other with the white ring around his right eye was Scythe.
 
Quatre, however, was the one who changed the most during the two weeks at sea. Shortly after they'd left Larker Quatre had finally found a use for the feathery white wings that grew from his back and fluttered about here and there as he helped the others with their tasks. Somewhere along the way he had also learned that he could morph his dolphin like tail into a pair of legs and spent, whatever time he didn't spend flying, learning to walk. He was now at a height of about three feet and if his arms weren't furry and striped or he had no wings on his back he would have looked just like a normal ten year old, a ten year old that was just learning to talk. He was beginning to string sentences together and called Heero, Duo, Wufei, and even Shin and Scythe by name; though most of his speech was still mews and chirps it was an improvement.
 
When they arrived in Redenge's large harbor Heero paid the docking fee with the coins he'd found in the pockets of Edmar's pirates instead of the precious little money he had of his own. Returning to Wing he pulled a confused Quatre into his quarters and pulled a long tunic over the Guardians' head. He wrapped a wide, brightly colored, cloth belt around his middle and then wound bandages around his arms. Stepping back to take a look at his work as Quatre pulled at the shirt, he was a little uncomfortable as he was used to going about unclothed. Heero had come to the scholars' island to find out more about the Guardians but that didn't mean he was going parade Quatre around like a prize, he wouldn't have people staring at the little on and making him nervous. He instructed Quatre that there was to be NO flying while they were at port and got a sheepish nod from the little blond.
 
Back on deck, with Quatres' small paw-like hand clenched in his own, Heero met Wufei and Duo. The thief, flamboyantly dressed in his “normal” attire, gave the captain a mock salute and grinning at him broadly. He'd tied down the sails and thrown lines to the dock, securing the Wing's position to the small inlet of wooden harbor where they had docked. Wufei wore his blue sleeveless tunic and a pair of Heero's black pants; as his white ones were covered in bloodstains that refused to come out no mater how furiously they were scrubbed. He'd also dawned some of the less flamboyant jewelry that was left over after Duo raided the pile. What was left of the things they'd taken from the pirates, excluding a few pairs of boots and some of the swords, were organized in a crate that the dragon had already taken down to the dock. He'd sell what he could and bargain with what he couldn't so that he might restock the food stores and if he was luck, has some extra money to buy himself a little something.
 
Heero had given the wooden figures he'd carved to Duo asking the boy to sell them for the highest price he could. He knew that Duo could make money a lot of other ways but he would rather not have the guards arrest him because the braided young man had decided to pick a few pockets. Heero, with Quatre in toe was going into town to see if he could locate the author of his myth and monster encyclopedia, that person was the most likely to have the information he wanted or, if he didn't, he might know someone who did.
 
Shin and Scythe and made themselves at home, curling up on either side of the ramp that led down off the ship to the dock, they swatted at the crews feet as they past the mischievous little balls of fur. Duo laughed, announcing that they were going to guard the ship while the rest of the crew was away in a sarcastic voice. Quatre giggled and waved “bye-bye” to the kittens as he let Heero lead him into town.
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- -----------------------------------
 
Rednenge was loud and busy. The buildings near the port smelled strongly of the sea and there were fish market stales lining both sides of the wide cobblestone streets. People crowded around as sellers yelled out about their wares. As Quatre and Heero walked further along the main road that wound through the city it became less packed with people shopping for food and more people looking for facts. They entered the large square at the center of the city, enclosed on all four sides by extravagant whitewashed shops that held items pertaining to knowledge. Books, maps, paper, and quills: anything for the people whose lives revolved around the intellectual questions that drove the scholars to ask them.
 
The center of the square was a tree-filled park. In its center stood a huge oak that, into its massive trunk, was carved the four cardinal beast of knowledge. The Owl, the Wolf, the Turtle, and the Stag: Learning, Common Sense, Patience, and Knowledge. It was an impressive site to Quatre, and even to Heero had never seen anything as grand as that tree. Heero had to pull himself away from starring at it and to the large bookstore that he'd noticed. The sound of a bell tinkled as they entered and the keeper looked up from his own worn book to give them a suspicious look. Heero let go of Quatres hand, kneeling down he told the inquisitive little blond he could LOOK but not touch before letting go to look at the shelves upon shelves of books. The blue-eyed shipwright then turned to the bookkeeper and pulled his book of myths and set it on the counter. The shopkeepers' eyes widened at the site of it.
 
“Where did you get this?” He asked breathlessly as he picked up the old text delicately.
 
“It was given to me by a friend of my fathers.” Heero said
 
“This is a very rare book, only ten copies of it were ever scribed! I don't suppose you'd be willing to sell it?”
 
“No.” Heero answered immediately, not even pausing to think.
 
“I see... what is it I can do for you sir.” The keep said, looking more than just a little disappointed.
 
“I'm looking for the author of this book.”
 
“The author? Master Bloom, I'm afraid he pass away some time ago.”
 
“I see.”
 
“ His daughter still lives here though, she may be able to tell you something.” The shopkeeper said quickly, sensing Heero's distress.
 
The shopkeeper, Howard was his name, drew a simple map and gave Heero directions to the Bloom family villa. Taking Quatres paw in hand once again Heero left the shop with a quick wave of thanks and headed out onto the streets again. The buildings on either side of the cobblestone street slowly faded for stores and restaurants to privet homes. The schools were apparently in a different district along with the game reserve and other facilities that took up a lot of space. The house that supposedly belonged to the Bloom family was huge. The rot iron gates and matching fence that surrounded the property closed in a long gravel drive to the front door that was enclosed on both sides by a lush flowering hedge and large fruit trees of various origin and age. The deep green lawn was wide and expanded around to the side and back behind the house. A fountain dripped water in a calming quiet way from its place nestled in the center of a diversely colored flowerbed. The large white and blue Victorian style house was easily big enough to house over twenty rooms. The gate was open invitingly but Heero and Quatre were still wary and walked up the drive slowly to the door where, when he caught site of the shiny brash door-knocker, Quatre reached up and grabbed hold of it.
 
The sound of a ringing bell echoed from inside the house and both of the visitors jumped in alarm. Quatre yelped shrilly and, latching onto Heero's leg, hid behind the man as if doing so would protect him from whatever made the sudden noise. The door opened to find Heero kneeling down trying to get a terrified little Guardian to calm down.
 
“Oh dear, did the doorbell scare him?”
 
Quatre hiccupped a sob as Heero turned to see a talk woman with curly brown hair that shimmered with deep red highlights in the sunlight that poured though the open door. Heero stood stiffly as a large man in a neat black suit gently pushed his way in front of the woman and glared at Heero.
 
“Ms. Cathy, how many times have I told you not to answer the door. Who are you, what do you want?”
 
“I...” Heero started before he was cut off
 
“Another brat claming to be Mr. Blooms bastard son? Is that it?” The man said and Heero gave him as sharp glare, angry at the accusation.
 
“CARL!” The woman, Ms. Cathy, said indigently. Stopping the raging butler in mid sentence. “I'm sorry, what were you going to say?” she asked sweetly, brushing the large man off as she pushed her way in front of him again.
 
“I came to ask about this book.' Heero held said book out to her. `Is there any way that I might be able to get some more information of one of the monsters he listed there.”
 
“Monsters? Oh the Myth Encyclopedia! There might be something in his study but it would probably quicker just to ask my little brother.” She offered
 
“Brother?” Quatre mewed quietly from behind Heero.
 
“That's right.' She gave the little blond a sweet smile. `He's probably as the Prism Sanctuary; it's the magical creature haven that's here on the island. He goes there to help the grounds keeper a lot.”
 
“Which way is it from here?” Heero asked
 
“Head strait east from the gate and when you get to the bridge you should be able to see it.”
 
“Thankyou.” Heero gave her a respectful nod and was half way down the drive before he turned and hollered at Quatre to “come along.”
 
The little blond looked at Heero and with a wide grin he told the nice lady “Bye-bye” before running to catch up with Heero. Once again, hopeful for the last time, the set off down the road. Quatres legs, as he was still new to them, were beginning to get tired so Heero let the young Guardian ride on his shoulder. When they reached the bridge Quatre looked up and over the tops of the trees saw the top of a huge glass dome. The close they got the grander site it was. Everything in this city seamed to be built to impress.

The Prism Sanctuary was actually a collection on five different buildings. The four buildings on the outer ring were large brick compound with huge windows and vines that grew up the sides. The ceilings had skylights as well as an array of light spells to keep each building properly lit. The building in the southwest was the “reptile house” and housed a variety of reptilian creatures from small geckos to the komodos form the Far East. The southeast was the “carnivore house” in which large predators like lions, wolves, and even badgers. The northeast building was the “aquarium,” within its walls it held anything from minnows and frogs to sharks and sea cows. It however wasn't large enough to house any Whales or Orcas but it did have a matched pair of dolphins that Quatre was quite fascinated with. The northwest building was the home of the birds such as hawks, sparrows, eagles and larks and large herbivores like deer and elk, and it even housed a giraffe. All of the buildings were filled with mesmerizing creatures and both Heero and Quatre could have easily spent more than just a few hours walking though them but they had to find Ms. Cathy's brother and he was in the center building. The Prism Dome, the home of the largest collection of magical creature in the known world.
 
Its large, half-sphere shape was entirely made of thick glass panels and was the largest building in the compound. Heero pushed the door open carefully, almost afraid that if he opened it to quickly it would break. Inside the doors of the Prism Dome it was like walking into a completely different world. Just by glancing around Heero realized that there were hundreds of creatures here. The less dangerous creatures like Sprites and Twin-tailed Cats roamed around freely while Harpies and Chimeras lived within huge, transparently walled, pens. Quatre went from on pen to another looking in at the occupants with avid excitement. He was so enwrapped he ran right into the leg of one of the free-range creatures. Heero looked up from the Naga he was studying when he heard Quatre peep loudly. The little Guardian had run right into the leg of an Udmar.
 
Udmar, huge creatures with a scaled rump, camel-like hind feet, lion-line front feet, and a horse-like prehensile tail, were majestic creatures known for their elegant beauty, long eyelashes, and short tempers. Thankfully this one did nothing but lower its elegant head and sniff the top of Quatres head. It made a whickering sound before moving, leaving Quatre frozen in place.
 
Quatre whimpered pathetically, apparently the encounter had scared him a little more that Heero'd thought. He sighed and walked over to the little blond reaching to pick him up off the ground but another pair of hands got to the Guardian first. Heero stood and looked at the man who'd put Quatre on his feet. He was tall, slim, but not lanky. His hair, a dull dirt brown fell in his face, or at least half of it. His green eyes turned to meat Heero's with the same placid expressionless mask that the blue-eyed sailor wore most of the time.
 
“Thanks.”
 
“No problem.”
 
------------------
::Note from the Author::
Thank you every one who has reviewed so far. I really appreciate it.
Hope you liked this chapter as much as the others. Keep reading and keep reviewing.”
!CLICK THE LITTLE PURPPLE BUTTON!
 
Answer to an anonymous question: Why did I not list this FF as non-yaoi in my summary?
 
The reason is because One: I ran out of space, we are limited in the number of characters we can use when writing the summary. Two: most of the people who read fan fiction these days read it because most of it IS yaoi. Sadly, that means that those of us who write stories with little or no explicit content don't get out stories read and/or are completely ignored. I know that someone along the way will probably be mad that I didn't just come right out and tell them BUT it is my hope that because they liked the part of the story that they had already read, even though it isn't the genre that they usually read, they will continue to look forward to new chapters despite that fact. ... I hope...