Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ When angels die. . . ❯ When an angel dies... ( Chapter 15 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

 
XxXxXxX
 
When an angel dies…
 
XxXxXxX
 
Beep, beep, beep…
 
“What happened to us, Quatre?” Trowa whispered taking the boy's thin hand in his own, “What happened that you couldn't trust me anymore?” He leaned down and pressed a loving kiss on the unconscious boy's forehead. “I love you… I've always loved you. I wish there was some way I could help you.”
 
Beep, beep, beep…
 
The banged boy shook his head as he wrestled with the feeble control he had over his emotions, “I know you've been through something unimaginably horrible. I know you want to die. But I'm begging you!” a sob caught in his throat as he leaned foreword to rest his head on the blonde's shoulder, “Please… find the will to live?”
 
Beep, beep, beep…
 
 
“Trowa?” A hand settled on his shoulder, “Are you ready?”
 
“Hiiro and Duo aren't here yet.” The boy replied, casting a glance at his Chinese friend. “Duo… Duo would want to say good-bye.”
 
Beep, beep, beep…
 
“It's never easy…” Wu Fei murmured as he moved to sit in the chair opposite of Trowa's. “Saying farewell to a cherished one…”
 
“I don't want to.” The banged boy admitted, “I want him to wake up. I want to take him home so that I can love and protect him for as long as I am able to…”
 
Beep, beep, beep…
 
“Anyone who loves someone feels that way.”
 
“I don't know what to do…”
 
Beep, beep, beep…
 
“Do what you must.”
 
Beep, beep, beep…
 
XxXxXxX
 
“Duo?” Hiiro pressed as he drove to the hospital. The silence that had engulfed the usually hyper boy was unnerving, “Please, Duo… Don't let this destroy you. You're stronger than that.”
 
“W-what do you expect, Hiiro?” The boy whispered his voice hoarse from crying, as he stared out the car window. “You think I'm going to be jumping around all happy while my little bro is…” Violet eyes closed against the pain, “There's only so much… I can take… I… First the street gang and the plague, then the orphanage and OZ, then Solo and that gang... Now Quat… I'm at my limit, Hiiro… I'm losing it.”
 
The Japanese boy reached out and took the braided boy's hand, giving it a gentle squeeze, “Just remember that you're not alone. I'm here. We can overcome this together. We can grieve together, we can heal together and we can live together.”
 
Hesitantly, Duo looked at his friend. The sincerity and caring… no-love reflecting in those Prussian orbs spoke nothing but hopeful truth.
 
A small gasp escaped from the American as realization dawned on him. “Hiiro? Why are you doing this?”
 
“Because I can't loose you, Duo… I'm not as strong as Trowa is…” The boy answered carefully, keeping his eyes on the road. “I don't' want this tragedy to take away the person I treasure most in this lifetime... I would die if something were to happen to you, Duo.” He slowed for a stoplight, “I love you, Duo Maxwell.”
 
“I-I…” Duo swallowed, “I-I…” Fear, hope, love, Sorrow… The vast range of emotions danced across the braided boy's face.
 
Sadness flitted across those knowing orbs, as a small smile tugged at Hiiro's lips, “It's okay, Duo. You don't have to say anything… I know that it's bad timing on my part… It's just…” He sighed, as the light turned green and he continued on the way to the hospital. “You've always been so honest with me… that I promised myself to show you the same honesty… I know that you're afraid of being hurt and alone… but that's how I feel, and I'm willing to wait for as long as you need to come to terms with your own emotions. Just as long as you know that I'm here for you.”
 
“Thank you, Hiiro.” The braided boy whispered as the other boy pulled into the parking lot. “It… really means a lot to me…” He gave the hand Hiiro still held a squeeze.
 
“Are you ready?”
 
“No… I'll never be ready for this…” Duo sighed as he looked towards the hospital doors, “But Quatre is suffering… and we need to let him go.”
 
XxXxXxX
 
Beep, beep, beep…
 
“I don't know if I can do this, Hiiro…” Duo shook his head, taking a half step away from the boy on the bed.
 
Beep, beep, beep…
 
The Japanese boy rested his arm across the other's shoulders, “Just tell him what's in your heart. You'll regret it if you don't.” He whispered.
 
Beep, beep, beep…
 
Trowa looked up as his friends approached the bed. The sorrow and grief in his emerald eyes tore at their hearts. “A-am I being selfish, Duo?” He asked, sounding so lost. “Wanting him to wake up… to hang on… after all he's been through? In spite his pain? Is that selfish of me?”
 
Beep, beep, beep…
 
“No, Trowa.” Duo shook his head, “It isn't. Anyone who loves someone feels that way”
 
“But… it is selfish… To want him to live… knowing he's in pain…”
 
Beep, beep, beep…
 
“I have to let him go.” The banged teenager whispered.
 
Beep, beep, beep…
 
“Do what you must.”
 
Beep, beep, beep…
 
“Good-bye, Winner.” Wu Fei whispered, giving the unresponsive blonde's hand a gentle squeeze, “You lived with honor. You will be sorely missed, but well remembered.”
 
Beep, beep, beep…
 
“Find peace, Quatre.” Hiiro wished, brushing those blonde bangs back.
 
Beep, beep, beep…
 
“Take care, Little brother… Know that you are loved.” Shinigami's voice chocked with the emotions he tried to control.
 
He wanted to scream, and throw things. He wanted to hit something or shake Quatre until he woke up. He wanted vengeance. He wanted to kill the bastards that caused this. He wanted everything to go back to normal. He wanted so much… yet knew...
 
Only Hiiro's steadying touch on his shoulder kept the teenager from completely loosing it, as he fought to continue. “Find Solo… or Sister Helen… Th-they'll take care of you… until we're all together again…and we will… I promise you, Quatre… We will be together again!”
 
Beep, beep, beep…
 
“I love you…” Trowa whispered, kissing the boy's forehead as tears flowed down his cheeks. “I love you so very much… I'm sorry I failed you. I'm sorry I wasn't able to save you… I'm sorry… I couldn't stop… the light in your eyes from going out…”
 
Beep, beep, beep…
 
“Rest, My love…” The banged boy chocked as he hesitated before pressing a button.
 
Beep, beep, beep…
 
“No one can hurt you, anymore.”
 
Beep, beep, beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep& #8230;
 
Heart breaking sounds of sobbing grief erupted as the emotional walls crumbled with that final tone.
 
Duo collapsed against Hiiro, his body wracked with his anguish. Unable to remain standing, the Japanese boy lowered them to the floor, burying his face against his love's neck, as they cried together.
 
Wu Fei placed a comforting hand on Trowa's shoulder; his own tears fell in silent tribute to his friend.
 
The banged boy stood there numb for a moment, unable to process what he had just done. As it began to sink in, Trowa reached out and took the blonde's hand, as he fell to his knees. “QUATRE! COME BACK!” He screamed repeatedly; his cries of woe echoed throughout the hospital. “QUATRE!”
 
XxXxXxX
 
To be continued…