Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Willing Slave II -- Corazon ❯ Part 2 ( Chapter 2 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Part 2

VIOLENCE AND BLOODSHED

*****

In the midmorning glare, Corazon sparkled on the bright sand, the white of its walls gradually giving way to the reddish hues of the houses. The guards patrolling the wall first spotted the king's return, shouting and waving at the men below to raise the gates. As they rode closer, Duo heard his horse's hooves strike something solid, and when he looked down, he saw sandstone emerging out of the loose sand. He scanned the ground and found more rock coming out, pushing the sand back. Yellow grasses sprouted along the edges, low level scrub popped up around boulders.

"Wow," Duo breathed, making his veil flutter. "It's not so sandy anymore."

Quatre shook his head, but his heavier veil hardly moved. "The desert ends here. The rest of the country is like this, but with more trees and a few rivers farther in."

"How big is it?"

"I...have no idea."

"Several miles," Wufei said from his floating staff. He tugged the reins to make the horses catch up to Heero and Trowa. "The palace takes up nearly as much space as the city itself, but that's in orchards and gardens. The rest is public land."

"Public land?" Duo reached up to adjusted his headdress but his horse leaned to the right to avoid a large thorn bush. He grabbed the saddle's pommel and leaned forward, shutting his eyes. "Whoa!"

"It's all right," Wufei said. "You're not going to fall off."

"I don't like riding horses," Duo said, his stomach doing backflips. "They wobble too much."

"Don't ever ride a camel," Quatre warned him.

Up ahead, Trowa shuddered and looked over his shoulder at them. "None of us will ever ride camels, little one. Never again."

Heero glanced sideways at him. "Oh? Bad experience?"

"The damn things reek, they're always angry and they nearly spit in my face."

"Probably just trying to shut you up."

"Heero--"

"Trowa--"

"My lords," Rashid said, pointing ahead at the gate. "We will soon be within earshot. Perhaps we should return to formal relations?"

The two kings narrowed their eyes at him, suspecting he only wanted to shut them up, but they merely nodded and continued in silence. Wufei hopped off his staff and walked, still leading the slaves' horses. Duo noticed their change in looks, the way they glanced around the near boulders and rocky crags.

They passed through the gates, Trowa and Heero facing forward but scanning the gathering crowd for knives, bows or sorcerer's staffs. Wufei watched both from the ground and from the air, keeping in touch with Nataku as she flew with the hawks overhead. While the soldiers did not draw their weapons, they kept one hand on their hilts, and Duo watched Quatre for signs of distress or premonition.

"Not so different from Lagrange," Duo whispered to himself. "Just more...run down."

Notches and long scores lined the walls, made by swords and thousands of arrows from the last battle in the civil war the year before. Some of the holes had been patched, but the cobblestones in the street were cracked in some spots and completely gone in others. The people also showed signs of war, some missing legs or arms, others covered in scars, most with bent backs and a few without eyes, ears or noses. Only the very young were unscathed. Nevertheless, they cheered their king and gathered on the side of the main road, hoping for a glimpse of the entourage.

They rode up to the palace walls, higher than the city walls, and waited as the iron gates were drawn back. Duo caught a glimpse of a few trees and several guards before he heard a hiss to his right. He glanced over and saw Quatre deliberately look down and stare at his horse's mane. After a moment Duo realized they were supposed to keep their heads down and followed suit, resisting the urge to look around.

"My lord," came a voice not too far ahead. "It is good to see you return in good health. I was afraid something might have happened to you."

The lead horses walked in while the rest of the army headed to the side, leaving on the royalty, slaves and sorcerer in the hall. Nataku swept in just before the doors shut, landing on Wufei's shoulder.

"Has news traveled so fast?" Trowa asked as he dismounted.

A man dressed in a blue Corazon uniform came into Duo's peripheral vision. "Only of a victory in Lagrange. We had no word of your well being, since those who came with news were only merchants and traders."

"And perhaps traitors as well," Trowa said. "Heero, this is my advisor and captain, Kurtz. He is the only one I trust to run this kingdom in my absence."

Kurtz bowed low as Heero dismounted. "But only because I know what would happen if I tried to take Corazon."

Heero smirked. "A wise man indeed."

"If you would like," Kurtz said, "I could arrange a banquet for your arrival."

"That's a good idea," Trowa said. "Invite only those nobles we know are loyal to me along with Lord Barton. Better send out the messengers quick. I'd like too do this tonight."

"So quickly?" Kurtz asked, his eyes widening. "Very well, I'll have everything arranged within the hour. Perhaps just before sunset...?"

"A few hours before, actually. If you'd like to settle in your rooms before the banquet," Trowa said to his brother, "Abdul and Ahmed can show you to them."

"Yes, but I'd like to let Shini bathe first," Heero said.

"Good idea. I'm sure Shaay will like that, too. If your sorcerer won't mind--"

"Oh, yes. I'd forgotten he knows the way." Heero turned to Wufei. "Take those two to the baths. Make sure they're ready for the banquet."

"I'll have some breakfast sent to you," Trowa said. "And appropriate outfits."

"Of course, your majesty." Wufei bowed once and began helping the slaves down, Quatre first so that Duo could see how to dismount when bound.

Duo snuck a glance at Quatre and saw that they still had to keep their eyes on the ground. He wondered how they were going to get anywhere without bumping into anything until he felt his chain tug. When he looked down, he saw Wufei snap a lead on the chain between his wrists. Once Quatre had his tether secured, Wufei led them down the hall and past a few servants and guards, stopping at a locked door. He touched the handle and whispered something Duo couldn't understand, and the lock clicked.

Wufei pushed in the door and led them in, then turned and locked the door behind himself. The light disappeared, leaving them in pitch black darkness.

Quatre pressed close to Duo. "Wufei," he whispered, "the torches aren't burning."

"Nataku," came Wufei's voice. "If you would be so kind as to light the flames."

"How can she see?" Duo asked, listening to the little dragon's claws scrape the stone.

"She has excellent night vision," Wufei said. "Just wait a moment."

A few seconds later, the bottom of the stairs glowed orange, the light intensifying as each torch was lit. Once they could see the steps, they walked down and into the baths. Wufei undid their leashes and chains, setting them in a pile on the floor.

"You can sit on the bench while you undress," he said. "Don't let your clothes get wet."

Staring at the room around him, Duo sat and took off his slippers before whipping off his top. "It's like a little cave. What's this drawn on the bench?"

"Images of heaven and hell," Wufei said. He set his staff on its end, lining it up with the door, then stepped away. Serving as a lock, the staff remained in place while he undressed.

"Weird," Duo said, sweeping his hand over bench. "I haven't seen pictures of people since Heero got me. It's nice."

"It's not supposed to be here," Quatre said. He set his shirt aside and brushed some sand off his shoulders. "We're not supposed to make any graven images."

"Graven images?" Duo asked.

"Anything that shows people or animals. God doesn't want us to worship them."

"Which explains all the flowers and plants," Wufei said.

"But that's dumb," Duo said, kicking off his pants. "You're not worshipping the bench, right? If God made us so we can make art, why limit ourselves?"

"Flowers and script should be enough," Quatre said. "Right, Wufei?"

The sorcerer sighed and set his shoes beside his clothes. "I'm afraid I'm with Duo on this one. My people's artwork included everything from finely made weaponry and buildings to murals of nature and people. There is nothing inherently wrong in painting an animal or a person."

"We didn't have many pictures in church, though," Duo said, sitting at the edge of the bath. "Father Maxwell was trying to find an artist to paint some of the parables."

"But script is prettier," Quatre said. "Why would you want people when you could have the word itself?"

Smiling sadly, Duo looked up at his friend. "None of us could read."

Quatre paused, looking away as he thought about that.

Duo turned and slid straight in, gasping as the water came to his shoulder. "Oh my God, this water's cold!"

"And the air is hot," Quatre said, holding his laughter in. "Just give it a moment. You'll get used to it." He followed Duo into the water, which came up to his shoulders now.

"Ah, my spell still seems to be working," Wufei said as he ran his fingers through the water.

"Spell?" Quatre asked.

"Just to keep the water clean. The sparkle's a little unnatural, but that's to be expected."

"So," Duo said, leaning against the pool's edge, "is the banquet gonna be like the one at Lagrange? "

"Mostly," Wufei said, joining them in the pool. "But a little different. You'll be in chains at Heero's feet and bound to his chair. You won't be allowed to say anything, and you shouldn't look anyone in the eye."

"Oh, come on--"

"That's not just protocol," Wufei said. "It's for your own protection. You must do nothing to attract attention to yourself. You're a king's slave, and that brings with it influence and information. You're as much a target as he is."

"But I can stop anyone," Duo said. "I can stop them before they even get close."

Wufei stared at him. "Not if you don't know they're coming."

"I..." Duo lowered his head as he mulled that over. "But we know who the bad guys are, right?"

"Hopefully. But don't underestimate your enemies, Duo. I doubt this fight will be as straight forward as our last."

*

An hour later, Wufei led them back to the main banquet room and locked the three entrances, sealing the wooden doors twice his size. Once those were closed, he took them to the middle of the grand table and unchained their wrists.

Duo glanced around the room. Three long tables set in a semicircle left a space in the center, likely for entertainment. Trowa's chair, the largest and ornately carved, sat in the middle of the center table, a slightly smaller chair to his right, and the rest simple wooden chairs, albeit with velvet cushions set into them.

He watched Quatre sit on a large cushion beside the main chair. "We have to wait here? The banquet won't start for hours."

"And it'll take me that long to set up all the wards and spells we'll need," Wufei said. "I'd rather have some friends here than be all alone."

"Not that I could do much," Quatre said.

Wondering what he meant, Duo was about to ask when Quatre leaned forward and put his hands behind his back. Wufei gently turned the circlet around his neck so that the chain fell between his shoulders and locked his hands behind his back. His tether then locked on a small loop built into the chair so that Quatre could only move a few inches away.

"Your turn," Wufei said to Duo.

"What? We're just furniture now?" Duo asked, backing up a step.

"I know how you feel," Wufei said. "Believe me, I know. But it's only for a few hours."

Duo looked at the chair for a few seconds. His shoulders drooped as he lowered his head and sat down on the provided cushion. Once his wrists were locked up again, he couldn't lower his arms past his waist without choking himself. His tether kept him so close that he had to nuzzle the seat with his cheek.

"Lay like this," Quatre said, scooting on his side and leaning against the chair. "They're molded so it's comfortable."

Following suit, Duo found that the curves built into the chair were indeed comfortable, if he didn't mind how confining they were. He wriggled for several minutes, trying to adjust himself, but only strangled himself in the process.

"I don't like this," he said. All he could see was the underside of the tables, the cushions where other slaves would sit, the bottom halves of the main doors.

"You're a slave, Duo," Quatre sighed. "Slave's are positioned for the benefit of their masters."

"This is pathetic," Duo said. "Can't we stay untied until dinner starts?"

"I'm afraid not," Wufei said, moving to the center of the room. "As soon as I finish the main spell, the servants will bring in all the finery for the banquet. You have to play the part."

"And that includes being unable to move?"

"You're expected to be helpless at all times," Wufei said. "Sometimes masters keep their slaves blindfolded and gagged beneath their veil. In fact, you're supposed to have your hands behind your back most of the time. It's only for riding and bathing that you're allowed to be bound in front."

"Oh, such a privilege," Duo said.

"The rules aren't always so strict," Quatre said. "Not for me, anyway. I'm only tied at formal functions like this. Otherwise I have free run of the palace."

"Mm. I'll still be happy when this is all over." Duo heard a scraping sound on the floor a few feet away, but he couldn't move enough to look. "Wufei? What are you doing?"

"Drawing a mandala," Wufei said. On his hands and knees, he used a chunk of chalk to sketch out a circle before working on the smaller letters running around the main circle. "The spells I lay before are old and out of use. I'll have to force them to work again, and I'll need to draw a new circle for that."

"Last time you did that," Duo said, "you made a huge thunderstorm and passed out."

"I was weakened by J's work," Wufei said crossly. "Besides, that was a large spell. This shouldn't be nearly as difficult."

The two slaves exchanged a glance and began to laugh.

"I hope not," Quatre said. "'Cause if you faint, we can't help you."

"Well, I might be able to," Duo said, "but then I'd have to break these lovely silver chains, and then whatever would the court say?"

"Watch it," Wufei muttered, his strokes coming faster and shorter as he grew irritated. "Or else I'll tell Heero to take you over his knee."

"Not like that helps Treize," Quatre giggled. "Or did he ask to be a panda?"

"You know, I can still turn both of you into cats, don't think I won't." He stood up and looked over his work, bending to correct a few marks. "Actually, don't be surprised if you do turn into cats. If something goes wrong, two cats stand a better chance of escape than two slaves in chains."

Quatre's eyes widened and he craned his neck, just barely able to see Nataku perched on Wufei's shoulder. "But then how would we turn back?"

"Magick isn't permanent," Wufei said. "Even if I left Treize as a panda, he'd turn back in a few hours." He walked to the far wall and looked out the window. "Do you see them, Nataku?"

*chirrup*

"Damn. I'll have to wait 'till he's gone."

"Who's gone?" Duo and Quatre asked at once.

"Derek Barton. He's in the courtyard with Trowa and Heero. If he's inside when I activate my spell, he'll throw it off."

Duo frowned. "Why?"

"Because Barton is a sorcerer as well. Who knows what spells he has on himself." He leaned on his staff and looked out the window, staring over the walled courtyard, the walls newly tiled and gleaming in the noontime sun, and farther away, the rocky hills and scattered farmlands. "Never thought we'd see this view again, hmm?"

Nataku walked along the sill and settled in the corner. A high price to pay for such a view. I suppose you will never see those forests of bamboo and panda again, either.

Wufei's smile faded a little as he closed his eyes, imagining the green mountains and misty streams of his home, the sound of birds overhead, the cool breeze just before another storm appeared beyond the mountain range...a hot wind blew in front the desert, waking him.

"No. I can never go back." He sighed and stroked the ridges above her eyes. "You will have to remember me when you return."

That could be hundreds, thousands of years from now. She chirped and rubbed his palm. You think my memory that good?

"Oh yes. You'll be a true god then, watching over the mountains, and I...who knows what I'll be then?" He smiled at her. "You'll remember?"

If the gods see fit to remind me.

*

"My lord Trowa," Barton said with a smile, inclining his head a few inches as he approached the two kings. "So good to see you in good health. And quite a splendid force you've brought with you."

Neither king smiled. Trowa glanced around the barracks, now full to bursting with soldiers watering their horses and cleaning their weapons, and looked back at Barton. "You know my guard well enough, Lord Barton. These are my brother's soldiers."

"I see you even brought a blacksmith with you," Barton said, spotting Howard behind a grind stone. "So many for a polite journey?

The two kings began walking through the garden, and Barton followed at Trowa's shoulder. "Given recent events," Heero said, "it seemed best to err on the side of caution."

"For all involved," Trowa said. "In fact, I am more surprised to see you here, considering my extended absence."

"Coincidence, I assure you." He pulled his cape closer around his shoulders. "If you will forgive my boldness, I feared that your second, Kurtz, was not up to the task of running a war torn country without leading himself...into a little trouble."

"Lord Barton," Trowa said, staring sideways at him, "I must have been mistaken. I was of the mind that I ruled this country."

"Eh...your majesty--"

"Kurtz is my second and answers only to me. Not to you or your circle of admirers."

"Honestly, sire, I didn't intend any--"

"In fact," Trowa rode over his voice, "perhaps it is a testimony to Kurtz's leadership that you are still here at my arrival. I take it he did not grant you any favors, so you continued to hound him."

"Your majesty, I would never presume to try your patience," Barton said with a low bow. "Or your authority. I have ever been your loyal subject, even at your birth."

"Then your presence here?"

"Merely...a poor judge of Kurtz's character," Barton said. "Truly I meant no insult. Regard for your kingdom was my sole motivation."

"I see," Trowa said. "Forgive my outburst, Lord Barton. I'm afraid the past few weeks have made me suspect all but my closest friends."

"Completely understandable," Barton said with a smile. "A little caution is to be expected after the war and these new battles...still, I had hoped to be counted amongst your closest allies."

Trowa forced a smile onto his lips and clasped his hand on Barton's shoulder. "Then I trust I shall see you at tonight's banquet?"

"Of course," Barton said. "I always enjoy your company."

"And I yours. I shall see you then." Trowa turned and made his way towards the cluster of Maganacs at the far corner. While Heero followed him, they both turned after a few seconds and watched as Barton leave through the garden's gate and join a few of his retinue.

"Scum," Trowa whispered. "If we didn't have to get Relena..."

"Political maneuvering." Heero leaned against a nearby tree and spit. "If that's what monarchy involves, I'd rather be a soldier."

"You make a perfect soldier," Trowa said. "Merely a pitiful king."

Ignoring his brother's jibe, he watched the soldiers close the gates. "How do you stand their simpering?" Heero asked.

"Just remember that it comes out of their fear of you." Trowa swept his arm around at the soldiers around them. "No matter how strong Barton is, we control the military might of the entire kingdom. We control justice itself."

"Careful, brother," Heero said. "I'd hate to have to reign in that ego of yours."

Trowa half-smiled and shook his head. "No worry of that. If I ever lose control, I have my little blonde conscience to pull me back in line."

*

Wufei watched as Barton walked out of sight. "Finally. I'm surprised he made it out with his head. Nataku, are you ready?"

She chirped once and flew back into the room, landing in the center of the mandala. She watched Wufei draw his hand down in front of the windows, cutting off the light, and then pick out a few candles from their holders and set them on the floor around her, along the rim of the circle. One by one she flicked her tongue on their wicks, leaving a drop of fire behind, until they could easily see the mandala.

"Wufei?" Duo whispered. "Are you all right?"

"I'm fine. Both of you stay quiet until you see sunlight again. Disturbing us in the middle of a spell could prove...unpredictable." He knelt beside the mandala and held his hand a few inches over it, looking for the right character to tap. A moment later he lightly touched it with his fingertip.

Starting from that character, a violet glowed spread in all directions, filling the curves and angles of the mandala until the entire drawing burned bright enough to fill the room. The candle flames stopped flickering, frozen in time, and Nataku spread her wings so that her scales shimmered.

"Get ready," Wufei whispered. His eyes sparkled violet. "I'm about to break the circle."

After one last look to make sure no servants or guards were trying to open the doors, he set the end of his staff on the floor and scraped it past the mandala's outermost line, severing it. At the same time, Nataku stretched her wings into the air and tilted her head back, trilling a single note.

Instead of a trickle through the cut, the violet light burst out in all directions, splattering on the ceiling and walls and seeping into the cracks. Another burst shot out, and another, in time with Wufei's heart beat. Bound to their chairs, Quatre and Duo tried to duck the liquid light and found that it merely passed through them and onto the floor.

As light coated the surface of the room, it pressed into the stone itself, pushing into the rooms surrounding the banquet hall. Windows throughout the palace turned black as the magick cut off all light. For a few minutes, the entire palace turned dark. In the kitchen, cooks and servants worked by the light of their ovens. Other servants simply waited for the spell to pass.

The darkness even swept through the courtyard and gardens, shutting out the light as if a blanket had been set over the grounds. The walls glowed with light, and the soldiers paused and waited for the light to return before resuming work on their weapons.

Outside in the city, people stopped working and stared as the spell created a black bubble several stories high and a few miles around. Merchants stopped yelling, children stopped playing, and the entire city fell into a hush, in awe and in some relief that the spell did not progress past the walls.

"Now," Wufei whispered. "Finish it."

For a moment Duo thought he would pop the bubble around them, but instead Wufei dragged his staff along the mandala's edges, scraping away the line. The drawing sank into the rock floor, and the darkness faded, allowing in streaks of light, as if of a storm clearing, and the glowing light diminished as the sun struck it.

Wufei heaved a sigh and looked around himself. "Are you two all right?"

Quatre nodded, but Duo held silent, watching the last bits of light fade into stone. Wufei knelt beside him, resting his hand on the slave's shoulder. He didn't move, fixated on that spot, hardly breathing.

"Duo?"

The violet-eyed slave looked at him, a smile creeping over his face. "Can you do that again?"

Smiling, Wufei shook his head. "Not now. The next time I redo Lagrange's defenses, I'll make sure you're there." He stood up and headed for the door. "Now both of you act like slaves and hold still."

"I'll still don't know why we gotta wait here," Duo said. "Why couldn't we stay with Trowa an' Heero, or wait in their rooms?"

"We're staying together for protection," Quatre said, lowering his voice as the doors were unlocked. "If we split up, we'd be easier to attack, especially me. Rashid and his men have to guard the castle grounds. We're safer this way."

They heard footsteps come their way and lowered their eyes, seeing only the servant's shoes as he or she carried in yards of cloth and began to drape the table, stepping over them as if they were only footstools. Once the servant reached the other end of the table, Wufei knelt beside them again.

"I'm going to finish the rest of the spells. Try to get some sleep," he whispered. "I'll wake you if there's a problem."

"You'll stay here?" Quatre asked.

"I'll never leave this room," Wufei said. "I promise. And Nataku will be right here." He patted Trowa's seat where the dragon lay curled, her eyes slits, breathing steam as she cooled down.

"Can she sit there?" Duo asked. "That's a king's chair."

"She's a fire-breathing serpent with fangs and claws," Wufei said. "She can sleep where she likes."

Nataku's tail twitched, the only sign that she was listening. Wufei walked back over to the window and sat on the sill, watching the soldiers below. He scanned each set of troops, spotting Zechs in one corner and Noin in another, each speaking with the Lagrange commanders. Dorothy walked across camp towards the silver smith, looking exactly like all the other soldiers, but easily recognizable nonetheless. He watched her bully past some of the larger soldiers, knock a Maganac on his ass, and set something in front of Howard, who smiled and nodded.

"Probably teased her about this morning," Wufei said as he watched the Maganac get back up. He looked around again, searching through the rest of the troops, looking over Trowa and Heero, until he spotted his red haired captain making his way towards Zechs.

A few feet from his second, Treize stopped and looked over his shoulder, instantly spotting Wufei, a spot of white in the dark window. He smiled as his sorcerer waved, nodded once, and turned back to Zechs, only to find his second staring at him. "What?"

Grinning, Zechs shook his head. "You're already thinking of what you're going to do with him on the way home, aren't you?"

"Zechs, he'll probably turn me into a horse and ride me all the way back to Lagrange," Treize said. "Get your mind back on business."

"Just following your example, sir."

*

Lord Barton looked over his shoulder as the dark bubble dissipated, a frown creasing his face, then put the hood up on his cloak and crossed into the marketplace. Bypassing beggars and sidestepping overzealous merchants, he walked through the crowds and turned onto another street, heading into an open doorway.

In the corner, a woman and a young girl moved around a table, cleaning off the leftovers for their own dinner, while two men ate and discussed the king's return. When they noticed the intruder, the women fled to an inner room and the younger man stood guard at their door, watching with round eyes as the elder drew a knife and slowly approached.

Barton watched their movements out of the corner of his eye, more interested in the large trunk on the other side of the room. Ignoring the knife-wielder, he walked over to the trunk, opened it, and stepped in, closing the lid after himself. The two men looked at each other, then went and raised the lid. Barton was gone.

A few seconds later they heard a knock at their door, and a palace guard walked in, his helmet under his arm. "Forgive the intrusion," he said, "but did a man in a cloak come in here?" He saw them look back at the trunk and he nodded once. "Ah, I see. Next time, lock your door."

He turned and left before either of them could ask any questions.

Across the city, Lord Barton found himself standing in a darkness, surrounded on all sides by wood. He pushed the front panel open and stepped out into the main room of his citadel. Torches cast orange light throughout the room, but as he walked by each one, the flames turned purple and blue.

"My lord," someone called out. "I thought you would not return for a few more hours."

A soldier with messy blonde hair joined his side, his sword rattling at his side. "Is everything all right?"

Barton crossed his arms as he walked. "Pathetic. I told them to target Trowa specifically. Damn amateurs couldn't hit the broad side of a palace..." He glanced at the soldier. "Commander Sogran, you'd better tell me something good."

"Your serpent unit is ahead of schedule. In fact, we only need to complete one more batch and we'll be over quota."

"Good. Defenses?"

"Not so well. The shield spell is flawless, but the power fizzles out after only a few minutes. If we're to have solid shields, we'll need a new power source."

A smile twisted Barton's face. "I think I can fix that. And the girl?"

"She mentioned something about giving an audience to our captive."

"I see." He stopped and looked his commander in the eye. "I think I can solve our power shortage and initiate this whole damn thing in one swoop. Is that fat fool still alive?"

"Yes, but not for lack of trying. I had to restrain five soldiers from killing him, and that's just today."

"Master Lao, right? He is insufferable, but in a few days we should be rid of him. Come along. We have much to discuss."

*

Darkness slowly peeled back, pushed away by layers of dense fog that faded as Relena turned her face back and forth, opening her eyes to see a gray wall. She blinked and wondered if she was still asleep, but as she looked around, she saw torches on the wall burning blue and a small bare table in front of her. When she tried to stand up, she found herself fastened tight to her chair with straps and buckles over her arms, legs and chest. Every movement made them seem tighter. "Damn." She sighed and lowered her head, closing her eyes. "Dorothy."

A door opened behind her, its hinges creaking so much she winced. "Are you awake now?"

Relena looked up, but whoever spoke stood directly behind her. "Who's there? Were you captured too?"

"No." The voice sounded like a young girl's. "I gave the orders to bring you here."

"What?" Relena craned her neck, trying to see behind herself. The straps bit into her skin. "What are you talking about? Who are you?"

The girl's heels clicked on the stone floor as she walked closer. "It was my Uncle's idea, really, but I'm the one who sent the command." As she came into view, her cape hid most of her body. Her bright red hair caught Relena's attention first, cut short around her face. "You should be grateful that you are allowed this audience with me. Soon I will be too busy to speak to anyone but Uncle Dekim."

"Uncle...?" Relena asked. "Who are you? You don't look like his family. I've only seen one person with red hair before."

The girl smiled. "Exactly."

"What?"

"My name is Mariemeia Khushrenada, Treize Khushrenada's daughter."

Relena's jaw dropped. "You...you can't be. He wouldn't..."

"It's true." She sat down on the table top and crossed her legs. Her beret tilted to one side and she straightened it. "I've been told there are circumstances that only adults understand. I don't know the reasons for my existence, but I intend to pursue my family's greatness."

"But Treize--"

"He's dead to us. He gave up his heritage when he helped restore peace in Lagrange. I will succeed where he has failed." She grinned and kicked her legs. "I will be the victor."

Relena shook her head. "I don't know who's taught you all this, but you're mistaken. You can't--"

"Silence." Mariemaia scowled and jumped off the table, stepping closer to Relena. "Silence. I will not tolerate such rude remarks." She glanced at the torches along the wall. "This room is being monitored. I suggest you do not try anything. Be more careful with your words in the future."

With that, she turned and walked around Relena, heading to the door behind her.

"Wait," Relena said, trying to turn in her chair. She heard the door open, and she kicked at the straps around her ankles. She could feel bruises springing up on her skin. "Where are you going? What are you going to do with me?"

Mariemaia chuckled. "You'll know in time."

The door clicked shut, the torches dimmed, and Relena was left in a dark room.

*

Not even on the auction blocks had Duo ever seen so many slaves in one place before. Half an hour before the banquet was to begin, servants began to lead in slaves and bind them to different chairs, each according to their master's rank. Duo watched them even though Quatre motioned to keep his head down. If anyone tried to make him look down, he'd send them flying out the window.

Draped in gold and silver, each slave kept their eyes on the floor and wouldn't look around themselves, not even at the other slaves. Once in awhile a servant carrying a decoration or candelabra would accidentally kick one, but the slave only winced and held still, ashamed they'd let their chain rattle.

While he watched, Duo gasped as a servant's foot connected with his shin, wincing as he felt the bruise spread along his leg. He looked up and saw the servant, a black haired woman with calloused hands, setting down silverware. A fork dropped onto his lap, and he watched her bend and grab it.

She noticed his look and scowled. "What are you looking at, slave?" She set the fork back and turned to walk away.

Before she walked out of view and out of his range he stared at one of her shoes and pulled. She shrieked as she fell forwards on her face, silverware flying out of her sleeves and shirt. Around them, the servants started to laugh and he noticed that even a few of the slaves were chuckling. Her face burned red and she scurried back to the kitchen.

"How did you do that?" came one whisper.

Duo glanced at a slave a few chairs down, her blonde hair straight over a white harem suit. Not as draped in jewelry as the rest, she still jangled when she looked up. "How'd you know?"

"You just looked at her," she said. She watched the servants out of the corner of her eye, falling silent when one came close. When he left, she looked at him again. "How'd you do it?"

"I just did," he said. He flipped his braid back over his shoulder and winked, knowing she couldn't see his grin. "I don't use it too often, but she was mean and I'm sick of seeing everyone get kicked."

"You're a boy," she said, her eyes widening.

"Uh, last time I looked. What's your name?"

"Chrismarlie." She stared at his eyes and his body again.

"Duo," Quatre hissed. "Be quiet."

He turned and looked at the blonde. Quatre's eyes were narrowed to slits, and Duo had the impression that if Quatre was a cat, his tail would have fluffed to twice its size.

"Relax," he said. "She won't hurt us." He looked back at the slave. "Right?"

"But your hair's so long," she said. "And you're dressed like...oh, I see. Your master forces you, too."

"What? He doesn't force anything on me. I love him."

The bridge of her nose crinkled. "Slut."

He stared at her for a second, then frowned. "Look, bitch--"

A short burst of trumpets made the slaves look up, but when the doors began to open, they looked down again. Only Duo kept his head up, but he could only see the masters up to their waists, the edges of their capes, leather boots, jeweled knives on their belts.

Heero and Trowa came in first, followed by Kurtz and Rashid. Duo's eyes widened. He knew Kurtz was considered noble, but Rashid?

A hand fell on his shoulders, making him jump, then coursed up his throat and hair, gently pressing his cheek down to nuzzle Heero's thigh. He looked up at Heero, who gave him a small smile before looking back up at the assembled guests. Quatre also lay against Trowa, closing his eyes as his master pet his hair, and drowsed.

Conversation followed, but Duo ignored their polite political wrangling and looked around the room, looking for friends. He spotted Noin and Zechs standing at the door, their simple boots unique among the tooled finery of the guests. Treize had never entered, so he figured the captain was outside, probably with Dorothy. He knew Wufei was somewhere in the room, but the real comfort stood in the form of a dozen Maganacs positioned throughout the room as guards with more posing as servants.

While Heero stroked his cheek, Duo happened to glance at Chrismarlie, her own face pressed to her master's thigh with his large hand on her shoulder. She squeezed her eyes shut and held perfectly still, so tense he thought her muscles might pop. He glanced around at the other slaves and found few as shut off as she. The rest snuggled against their masters, and he wondered if they were as close to their masters as he was to his.

When're they gonna bring out the food? He nuzzled a little harder, but Heero tightened his hand around the back of Duo's neck and held him still, his fingertips stroking his throat. Duo took the hint and held still.

A plume of flame flashed in through the main doors, followed by wild cheers that made him jump, but when he looked around he saw only eager slaves leaning as far as they could forward, and he heard the masters cheer and laugh.

The bottom half of colored costumes entered, either on their pointed shoes or on their hands, the bells sewn into their clothes jingling as they spun and danced. The fire-eater let loose another volley over their heads, then began to juggle flaming sticks. Around him, two striped acrobats tumbled on the floor, climbed over each other, then caught a third on their shoulders. The black and white stripes made it hard to tell where one began and another ended.

"It's been awhile since we've seen some real entertainment," Trowa said. "I've missed my court jesters."

"My apologies," Heero said. "I didn't realize your stay at Lagrange was so boring."

"There is more to life than fighting and fireworks," Trowa said, "either in the sky or the bed."

Heero smirked. "We're lucky my sorcerer is loyal. Otherwise Shaay might have a kitten for a king."

Beneath the table, Quatre smiled. "I already do," he whispered.

Chrismarlie frowned. "Slut."

Not looking at her, Quatre nuzzled Trowa's knee and received several strokes through his hair.

Seated on a window sill, Wufei inclined his head in good humor and looked back out the window. Seated on the ledge beside the window, Dorothy nodded back, the evening wind blowing her hair in her eyes. They both watched the sun setting on the horizon and basked in the cool air.

Duo was vaguely aware of dinner being served but all his attention focused on the clowns and jesters. One man had a small dog that nipped at the fire-eater's heels, and he made a show of accidentally swallowing a bit of fire and blowing out a ring of smoke. A dark-haired girl dressed in pink twirled a long ribbon on the end of a stick, making it loop around her body before picking up the dog with it and sending it outside.

Firelight reflected off a knife that flashed into the room, straight towards Trowa, who caught it in one hand before it sank into his face. Heero half stood, his hand on his hilt, when Trowa put his hand on Heero's shoulder and pushed him back down.

"Relax, brother," he said. "No one else is worried."
"But who--"

"The brains behind this little troupe," Trowa said.

A young girl walked in, her skirts fluffed around her skintight pink costume, a yellow sash around her hair swirling behind her back.

"Catherine."

She smiled, her green earrings shining, and held up another dagger. With a flex of her fingers, it spread into five knives that she began to juggle. They all held their breath, even the slaves since they could see her, as she moved faster and faster.

Cathy threw one knife, and the girl with the ribbon suddenly pulled it taut, catching the dagger by its hilt in a loop of pink silk. Without dropping the first, she caught another, and another, and another. The final one flew towards her head and she snapped her head back, the blade between her teeth.

"Wow," Duo breathed.

"And her apprentice," Trowa said. "Hilde."

With a bow and a flourish, they left the room with one last plume of flame, and then the doors closed again. Duo wondered how long they'd been watching since the servants now began to take away cleaned off plates and empty glasses.

"You let her throw knives at you?" Heero asked.

"She wouldn't hurt me," Trowa said. "Her troupe followed us during the war. She's like a sister to me."

Heero remembered Treize's history of Lagrange royalty and let it go.

When the last of the food had been taken away, the topic turned away from the entertainers and back to politics. After a few more minutes of drowsing, Heero nudged Duo, forcing him to listen to the conversation.

"--wondering if Dermail was acting alone," Trowa said. "He never was too bright. I suspect he simply followed orders."

"But whose?" Chrismarlie's owner asked.

"If I knew the answer to that, General Noventa, plans would already be in motion."

"Too much killing going on," another said. "When will people finally tire of war?"

"Not in our lifetime, Darlian," said someone across the room. "Perhaps never."

"Probably when everyone is united under one tyrant," someone, a female this time, said. "And there is no way for the masses fight, no way for them escape. At least war gives them some hope of change."

"I only hope your ideas change, Sylvia," Noventa said. "I shudder to think if you are right."

"Speaking of unity," Barton said, "I wonder why, after your victory in Lagrange, you did not press your advantage in Sank. Your forces were marshaled, Relena in your grasp."

"I neither desire nor need the Sank kingdom," Trowa said. "Corazon is my first priority."

"But the resources in Sank are rich for the taking," Barton said. He leaned forward in his seat, clasping his hands in front of himself. "And the goods and slaves would travel right through Lagrange, thus benefiting both our kingdoms."

"And putting us at greater risk of attack from other provinces," Heero said. "Inflating our currency, swamping us with slaves. Too much of a hassle for hardly any return."

"Lord Barton," General Noventa said from the other table, "your desire for conquest never ceases to surprise me. Why take what would be peacefully given? Queen Relena has never turned down our offers for trade."

"Ah yes," Barton said, and he leaned back. "The Queen. I take it then you have not heard the latest."

"Latest?"

Rumblings came from all three tables as the lords and ladies asked each other what he meant.

Barton smiled. "Queen Relena has apparently fled her throne, leaving no explanation nor advising her own court of her reasons. Curious behavior for a monarch, yes?"

"Strange," Trowa said. "I'd heard she'd been attacked by a coward who hid behind magical automatons, that she'd been kidnapped and all those around her slaughtered."

"Two very different versions," Ambassador Darlian said. "Is there proof one way or another?"

"Oh, um, simply her absence," Barton said. "Perhaps the result of an attack, then, but by who?"

"I thought you may be able to help with that," Trowa said.

Barton laughed and leaned his head on one hand. "How, your majesty? You said that all around Relena were slaughtered."

"There was one survivor."

Barton stopped laughing. "What?"

"Relena's bodyguard. She was hurt but followed the dolls back to Corazon." Trowa stared hard at Barton and breathed deep. "And what say you to this, Lord Barton?"

The room fell silent as everyone looked at Barton, and the few sitting near him leaned aside a few inches, distancing themselves in case swords were to be drawn. Barton stared back at Trowa.

"Corazon is a large city," he said.

"Yes, but perhaps not large enough." Trowa swirled the wine in his glass. "I was hoping you could tell us where she is."

They stared at each other.

"I dislike lords who think they are kings," Trowa said. "If you haven't hurt her, perhaps I could settle for exile."

Barton and Trowa stared at each other. Heero's hand slid towards his sword.

The change happened so fast for a few seconds no one knew what had happened. One moment the sun's rays streamed in through the window, a second later they were blocked with black shadow. A slave screamed, the masters jumped up from their chairs and drew their swords. A few seconds later, they all heard Wufei say something in his own language, and a blue bonfire sprung up in the center of the room, leaving the floor unscathed.

"Barton, stand down," Trowa said. He stood on a table, his sword pointed at Barton's throat.

"I'll have Corazon yet," Barton hissed. "And right now you have more to worry about then me."

Out of the darkness in the corners stepped several soldiers, fully armed and swords drawn, who rushed towards the tables. The generals and advisors drew their ceremonial swords and met them as well as they could.

Trowa and Heero charged after Barton, leaving Duo to watch over himself and Quatre. By the windows, Wufei found himself torn between joining the fight or destroying the dark spell. Sure the Maganacs could hold off the soldiers, he fired light into the windows, weakening the spell.

"Shit." Wufei shot another bolt at the window, cracking the black shield. "He was here every day...no wonder they're so strong."

Cracks formed along a nearby window, small at first but spreading, and then the darkness there shattered and Dorothy dove in, rolling under a sword and taking off the offending hand before moving to the next target. The light pouring in after her, though fading, scattered the shadows. The soldiers found themselves without an escape.

"Finally," Wufei said. He sent one more lightning bolt at the window, sending chunks of darkness into the air where it dissolved. A second later, someone's arm wrapped around his throat and yanked backwards. He shoved his attacker against the wall and broke free, chanting a spell even as he turned. Against the wall, Barton grinned and chanted his own spell.

Bodies of Barton's soldiers lined the floor, and the few remaining grew desperate. Screams came from under the table, and those who could turned and saw blood splattering against the chairs, one at a time.

"They're targeting the slaves--"

Chrismarlie shrieked as one by one the slaves slumped in their chains, throats slashed, stomachs opened, heads cut off. She jerked against her chains, feeling her own slick blood on her skin, and the heavy chair shuddered. Blood covered her face as the slave beside her twitched, his head rolling across the floor. Her eyes rolled up and she slumped backwards.

Three shafts of light passed over her body and aimed at the king's slave, plunging down.

"Duo!" Quatre huddled in a ball and closed his eyes.

A second later, when he found himself still breathing, he opened his eyes and saw each a hair's breadth from his face, and he saw Duo bolt upright, the tether to the chair broken, sweat beading on his face as he stared at the swords. A few feet away, a sword rose into the air, its hilt gripped by a faceless shadow, and curved in a graceful semicircle towards Duo's throat.

He tried to sit up but couldn't. "Behind you!"

Duo could feel it coming, just as he could feel everything in the room for a moment, but he only had the strength to stop three swords. He tensed and thanked God for the veil that hid his wince. "Wufei!"

Wufei shouted.

Duo fell.

*

Oh Lord forgive me, my readers forgive me, but I am evil. ^_^

*

Author's Notes:

1. Commander Sogran? Oh, he comes out of Gundam Wing: Blind Target. Not as rotten as Barton, not as good as Treize and Zechs.

2. Not following Endless Waltz exactly? And Willing Slave didn't follow the series exactly, either. It's just loosely based on it.

3. Yes, for those noticed, Mariemeia's speech is remarkably similar to her Endless Waltz dialogue. Why? 'Cause I lifted it!

4. Hmm. Duo was the star of Willing Slave. Perhaps Wufei is the focus of Corazon. Free or not, he is still a willing slave.