Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Willing Slave ❯ Chapter 7

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Part 7

Metal clashed as two blades clanged together, then scraped as Heero and Trowa pulled back. They circled for a few seconds, trying to anticipate the next attack, and lunged again. Trowa slashed, Heero blocked. Heero tried to stab forward, Trowa dodged and responded with his own thrust, and Heero blocked again. They took a step back, neither having scored a hit.

"Someone could be trying to frame Sank," Trowa said.

Heero nodded curtly. "That was my thought. But who would gain from that move?"

Trowa darted forward so fast Heero only had time to get his own blade up to protect his throat as Trowa's nearly took his head off. Pushed to the wall, Heero struggled to keep the swords from his skin.

"Heero, you think too much in military moves," Trowa said. "Think politically. They aren't attacking her, they're attacking you."

Grunting, Heero managed to shove Trowa back so hard the taller boy stumbled. "Straightforward moves have their place," he said. "But what do you mean?"

"If you believed the assassin, you'd attack Sank, thinking she had already attacked you." Trowa brought his sword up as he came closer. "Once you strike at her, you'd have a fight on one side of your kingdom."

Heero shook his head, parrying Trowa's slash. "She's a pacifist. She'd give up first, and that would save my forces from any real fighting."

"Not if someone offered to fight for her."

Heero backed away from his sibling's next thrust. "You think they'd make an offer?"

Trowa shook his head. "Not until you actually started the fight. But after you did, you would look like the aggressor, and whomever we are talking about would be in the right position to make an agreement with Relena. With her forces, she would probably fight to keep her people safe and once you were conquered--"

"--then they take over Sank." Heero made his own slash, driving his brother back. "But Relena didn't send her pet assassin. If it had been Catalonia, then we'd know it was Sank. Since it would benefit the Romefellers and Bartons to pool their resources to steal both our kingdoms and topple Sank after, it must be them. They wouldn't be so stupid as to use such a roundabout method."

"They don't know you know."

Heero froze. "What are you talking about?"

"I think you have a habit of overestimating your enemy," Trowa said, halting his attack. "The enemy doesn't know we suspect them, or that we know your assassin was lying. They probably think you've invited Relena to a masquerade to assassinate her." Trowa suddenly smirked. "They know you're strong, Heero. But you act like a soldier. They don't know there's a bit of brain in there, too."

Heero considered, bringing his blade up to warn his brother that the fight was back on. "Devious." He ducked under Trowa's cut and tried to slash upward, but Trowa vaulted into the air, narrowly missing the slice. He spun a few times near the ceiling, then landed next to the opposite wall, immediately crouching into a defensive stance.

Heero just chuckled humorlessly. "Treize is right about you."

"Oh?"

"You are a human jumping spider."

"Come over here and say that."

"On my way."

*

Quatre rolled onto his stomach and propped himself up on his arms. "So, when the court comes together, we'll come in last."

Duo mimicked him and sat up. "How do we come in?"

"Heero and Trowa will go into the banquet hall and take their places, and then we come out from the doors behind them. You have to go out slightly in front of me, since this is Heero's kingdom and you're his. We don't say anything but walk straight up to them and sit down at their side, on the floor. It's best to put your head in his lap and stretch out, too."

"Whatever you do," Wufei added, "don't trip."

"And what then?"

Quatre considered. "Well, try not to look anyone in the eye. Some of them try to use us to get our master's favor, and that's never a good position to be in. If you spot something really weird going on, don't hesitate to tell Heero, but try not to let anyone see you. Best to just squeeze his hand and get his attention quietly."

"This is gonna be in the banquet hall?"

Wufei nodded. "You remember that large room we passed when we all had dinner?"

"Oh, I remember now. Do we get to eat, too?"

"If Heero feeds you."

Duo balked. "Feeds me?"

Wufei chuckled, as did the dragon at his side. "Don't worry, I'm sure Heero will give you lunch beforehand."

Quatre smiled, staring into the distance. "It's the only good part of court. He'll lift your veil just so that he can see you and give you little pieces of fruit with his fingers..."

"Veil?" Duo thought about the outfits Midii had only recently brought up to Heero for inspection. "Oh, yeah...hey, Wufei, are you gonna be there?"

Wufei nodded. "But as the court sorcerer. I need only wear Treize's signet showing I belong to him, and that I have taken a geis to obey his every word. That way I don't have to drape myself over him."

"He'll be standing nearby," Quatre assured him. "Treize'll be there, too, since he's the captain."

Duo gave Wufei an odd look. "You put your own geis on yourself? That's like putting on the chain willingly."

"Look who's talking," Wufei shot back. "You practically gave yourself to Heero!"

Duo smiled. "Yeah...but still..."

Wufei smiled slightly. "Remember, I did word my own spell. I left a few...commands out...so I wouldn't be completely under his thumb."

Duo smirked. "From the moaning I heard last night, I thought you liked being under him."

Wufei blushed furiously and looked away. "I didn't think we were that loud..." he muttered.

"So, when's the masquerade?" Quatre asked, changing the subject.

"I think Heero said it's in a couple of weeks," Duo answered. "Can we dance there?"

Quatre sighed sadly. "No, I'm afraid we're not allowed. But we can watch."

*

The door to the prince's bedchambers very slowly pushed in, squeaking only a little. Someone snapped their fingers, but no lights came on to boost the fading sun. Except for the noise from the window, the room was silent.

"They're not here."

"What do you mean, they're not here? They've been here every day for the past week!"

"Well, they're not here now."

"Damn...that would've made this easy."

"Troibeque, let's just wait for the big party, okay? We can nail the prince if we use a crossbow."

"Fine. This obviously isn't working. But you better be there."

"I will."

"I mean it, Freirs. Not like the last time, when you bailed."

"Like the little thief gave you a problem."

"You took off once you had him first!"

"I'll be there, all right? Lay off."

The door shut again.

*

Duo lay draped over Heero's knee, one arm dangling while the other cushioned his head on Heero's lap. He heaved what must have been his hundredth sigh in one hour and closed his eyes again. The promise of royal splendor and music, along with all the warnings he'd received, had made the court seem like something deadly and dangerous and alluring all at once. Instead, he felt royally tricked. He noticed Wufei standing near the kitchen doors, arms crossed over his white jacket with Nataku curled up on his shoulder. His staff was nowhere to be seen. Even the stoic sorcerer seemed bored.

"Summer's here with love again,

With blossom and with birds' refrain

From hazel bushes springing.

Dew is dropping in the dale

And, longing like the nightingale

The birds are gladly singing"

Duo sighed once more and snuggled his face against Heero's thighs, wishing they were both back in bed, or that Heero was kissing him as they got dressed, or better yet, that they were taking a walk in the garden, or even just running along the wall--

"Bored?" Heero asked in a whisper.

Duo looked up and caught the fleeting smile that told him the prince felt exactly the same. "I thought it would be...better," he murmured back.

Heero caressed Duo's hair, stroking along the ribbons and jeweled pendants to rub one of his shoulders. "These are some of the best minstrels in the land," he said. "But you wouldn't know it."

Duo bit back his laugh and curled closer. "But Wufei's decorations are nice," he admitted.

Heero looked up at the banquet hall, ignoring the throng and taking in the magical adornments. The sorcerer had nearly gone with a nighttime motif until Treize convinced him safety was more important, so instead he'd kept the lighting low enough for a dinner setting by placing hundreds of his flameless lights around the tables and walls. Mirrors hung along the walls to reflect the light, all of them made of what looked like normal glass, but Heero could easily use the small mirror next to his throne to see through each and every one. The chandelier in the ceiling was merely illusion, but it glittered like spun crystal in three tiers. Instead of the real white tile floor, there seemed to be a clear sheet over a huge pond full of big goldfish. One of them swam underneath Duo, stared at him with its mouth gaping, and zoomed off again. Duo smiled in awe, and a second later he heard Quatre clap softly as the fish did the same to him.

"Yes," Heero agreed. "It's nice enough."

"You seem most loath to tell the tale

Of all those heroes' shame!

A thousand ladies I could show

And none there sitting in a row

Would be of evil fame."

Quatre, dressed in dark blue with white ribbons and trim, stretched out a little more along Trowa's legs. "Tro--Master...?"

Trowa gave him a slight, indulgent smile that faded with boredom as soon as it came. "Yes, little one?"

"Could we get some pretty goldfish at home?" he asked. "In a little pond?"

Trowa ran his fingers into the soft blonde hair and stared deep into his slave's bright blue eyes. "Perhaps...maybe in the small garden pond. But remember, there are few merchants who can bring fish so far in land." He reached over and picked up a halved slice of orange, slightly raising Quatre's veil to feed him.

Sated for awhile longer, Quatre sucked on his fruit and went back to watching the various noblemen, honored guests, and invited monarchy. Dressed in a blue gown with white gloves, Queen Relena wore only a simple diadem to show her royal status, while Dorothy Catalonia stood just behind her, one hand resting on the ceremonial blade at her waist. She'd come in the more traditional red vest and lighter skirt of the Sank kingdom, but Quatre had no doubt she could move easily in it. He recognized Relena's advisor Wayridge beside her, while her own personal servant, Pargan, sat on her other side. And all around them were her loyal maidens and hand servants, attending to her every need.

"Your royal highness," Treize whispered, stepping close to Heero without seeming to. "Her majesty has received your message and sends me to tell you she agrees to your proposition."

Heero nodded. "Once the banquet is finished, we will retire to the library. Escort her there at her leisure."

Treize straightened and returned to the background, blending in with his guards.

Duo waited until he was gone before looking back up at Heero. "How come Zechs an' Noin aren't here? I thought Treize would want those two close by."

Heero put his fingers on Duo's veil, pressing his lips through the thin cloth. "I'll tell you later tonight, when no one is near. It's a secret." Seeing that Duo was about to ask another question, he plucked a few grapes from his own bowl and popped them into Duo's mouth one at a time. The thief knew he was being hushed, but he only smirked, his eyes warning Heero there would be some roughhousing in bed later on.

"Give us another song," one of the courtiers ordered the minstrel, tossing a golden coin at his feet. The minstrel made an exaggerated bow, sweeping up the coin, and began to play.

"All night by the rose, rose,

All night by the rose I lay;

I dared not steal the rose-tree,

But I bore the flower away."

Heero leaned close so only Duo could hear him. "That courtier is Septem, part of the inner Romefeller group. But he is not so well liked and is left out most of the time."

Duo nodded and watched the man and his associates, but he couldn't see who was talking to who or what about, and he said so.

"Exactly. They are brilliant diplomats, Duo. They know a million different ways to say nothing and promise nothing, while getting promises out of you."

Duo gazed up at him. "Then how do you keep from promising anything?"

Heero gently stroked his throat while holding one of his hands. "Don't talk to them. If they do speak to you, let me know immediately."

"I am Rose, alas for me,

Though sweeter than the sweet I be;

I grow in pain and misery,

For the hand of churl has done for me."

"Trowa!"

The harsh whisper caught their attention, and they glanced over to see an extremely agitated Quatre tugging at Trowa's sleeve. His eyes, wide and frightened, couldn't focus on anything for more than a few seconds before jumping to something else.

"What's the matter?" Trowa asked.

"Something's wrong," he whispered. "Something...bad feelings. I just felt a wave of hate...it's so strong, but it feels like it's far away." He closed his eyes, trying to push out every sense but his sixth.

"How many?" Heero asked.

"Two, I think," Quatre answered. "At least, I feel it from two different directions."

"Where?"

Quatre looked over near Relena.

His own anxiety building, Duo scanned the room and allowed his gaze to wander out the window. He could barely see the stars for all the light in the banquet hall, and he was about to turn away when a flicker of motion made him look again.

He narrowed his eyes. If he concentrated, he could just make out a shadowy figure running along the outer wall. Duo squeezed Heero's hand, but as soon as his hand tightened, the figure crouched down. Duo spotted the bow a split-second before the arrow was notched, drawn, and fired.

"Heero," he whispered.

Time slowed. He heard Trowa shout something, felt Heero's muscles shifting beneath his own, but there was no time to do anything. Acting on impulse, he put his hand up. His fingers closed over the arrow's shaft, holding it tight. When he looked back up, the tip was a mere handbreadth from Heero's left eye.

Heero snatched the arrow from his hand and stared up at the window, but too late. The figure had gone.

There was a second scream from Queen Relena's area as the maidens threw themselves protectively on the queen. Only Dorothy made herself useful, also holding an arrow inches from Relena's head.

"Two angles," Heero muttered. "Two assassins. Treize, seal off the palace, send your men out!"

Wasting no time replying, the captain vanished out of the front doors, which immediately closed. Not to be outdone, Dorothy sprinted to the nearest window and jumped up, nimbly catching the sill and climbing out, drawing her blade at the same time.

"Nataku, go with them!" Wufei watched his dragon soar out of the window and into the dark sky. "Be safe," he whispered.

To their credit, the courtiers stopped shrieking after a minute and settled down at their seats. Heero stood, as did Trowa, helping their slaves up with them. "My apologies," Heero started in a calm voice, "for the interruption. I'm certain my men will have it under control immediately. However, I think it wise if you all retire to your rooms for now. The masquerade will continue as scheduled later tonight."

With that, Heero and Trowa led their slaves to the doors. Just before they left, Heero turned back and motioned for Wufei to follow. Duo frowned as they kept walking. He didn't recognize any of these halls, and he knew for a fact they weren't heading to their rooms. After a few minutes, Heero stopped at a small, unimpressive door and opened it.

"Duo, you and Wufei stay in here until I come back." He looked up and down the hall just to make sure the group was alone. "The discussion with Relena shouldn't take very long."

Knowing he didn't have much time, Duo put his arms around Heero and hugged him. "You'll be careful, won't you?"

Heero pulled Duo's veil away and kissed him before he stepped back. "I'll be fine. Now go and don't let anyone else in." He waited until Wufei and Duo were safely inside and the bolt thrown before he rejoined Trowa and Quatre.

"I'm going to put Quatre in our room," Trowa said as they walked. "I have three of his personal guard there, they should be enough to protect him. I'm sure the rest of his Maganacs are hunting with Treize."

Head throbbing from such powerful feelings, Quatre gratefully kissed his master and stumbled into his room. Two Maganacs there gently held him steady and helped him to the bed while the third stood guard at the window. As soon as Quatre was safely stowed away, the adopted brothers headed for the library.

"Quite an eventful night," Trowa said casually.

"More than that," Heero replied. Once he was sure they were alone, he turned to face him. "Trowa, that arrow stopped before Duo caught it."

Trowa's brow creased. "What do you mean?"

"It stopped mid-air. Duo knew exactly where to grab it, but that arrow hovered for a second before Duo put his hand around it. By all accounts, it should have gone into me. But it didn't."

"You mean Duo didn't stop it?"

"No, he did. But he stopped it before he touched it."

Trowa crossed his arms. "Has he done this before?"

"Once. He mentioned that the window should close and it did. At the time I though it was just one of Wufei's spells I didn't know about, but now..." He looked up at Trowa. "I think you and Treize no longer have the only special slaves in this palace."

"Does Duo have any idea what he can do?"

"I don't think so." Heero growled low in his throat. "His religion's a problem. They have a taboo on sorcerers."

"So does Wufei's," Trowa said.

Heero shook his head. "I don't think it's quite the same. He's not going to be happy about it."

Trowa could see where the conversation was going. Leave it to Heero to ask for advice in such a roundabout manner. "When Quatre discovered his talents, he didn't want them, either."

"How did you solve it?"

"I held him."

Confused, Heero continued walking.

*

Duo sat down on the small bed in the corner, pushing away the layers of gauzy draperies before kicking his shoes off and climbing up a little farther. "What is this place? It's tiny."

Wufei took his own seat on the other end of the bed, groaning as his muscles relaxed. "This is the inner sanctum. It's where the prince usually takes refuge if an assassin is hired, since there are no windows and the corridor is easily guarded. It's also...also a place to hide someone you don't want anyone to find."

Duo cocked his head curiously. "I don't get it."

"Quatre was kept in a place like this for years."

When Duo's face shifted into something like horrified confusion, Wufei explained. "His sister couldn't afford to let him be seen, or else she might have lost her kingdom. Instead she kept him locked in, hoping he would go insane. That is why he isn't in here now. He is terrified of darkness and small spaces."

"Poor Quatre," Duo whispered. "But he knows Trowa would never do that, right?

Wufei shrugged. "He knows it, but he is always afraid." Just supposed to be a short banquet and a party, nothing more, maybe get to fall asleep with Treize for a change...damn assassins. Oh, Nataku be safe. "I think he will always be afraid."

"He hides it well."

"So do you."

Duo glanced at him, blinking with a smile. "What do you mean? I'm always happy!"

The sorcerer laughed but shook his head. "No, Duo. I am quite capable of looking through masks." Including my own. "I sometimes think you're as sorrowful as Quatre."

"Aw, come on, Quatre's downright mopey sometimes."

"And you are easily worried."

"Am not!"

"Are, too."

"Am not!"

"So you don't worry that Heero's upset with you? That he'll get angry and hurt you? Or just get bored with you?"

Duo decided he'd had enough of this conversation and looked around for something interesting to shift the subject. Instead, he found something that nearly made him panic.

"Wufei, your hands!"

As Duo gasped, Wufei stared in fright at his wrists. Sure enough, his glamour had faded. He focused and struggled to bring the spell back up, but it guttered and vanished again, leaving scarred reality behind. "Damn," he cursed. "Too tired..."

"What happened?" Duo cried, looking around for bandages. "How bad is it? Does it hurt?"

"Relax, it's nothing to worry about," Wufei interrupted him. "They're old wounds."

Duo settled down, but it didn't make him any less concerned. "How'd that happen? It looks painful."

"It's a long story."

"We've got plenty of time," Duo said. "And you're a good storyteller."

"How would you know that?" he demanded.

"Well, you can teach, right? So that means you'd be a good storyteller."

Wufei didn't quite follow, but grudgingly caved. "Very well. However, you must promise never to tell Quatre a word of this. If you do, I really will turn you into a kitten."

Duo crossed his heart with a finger. "Cross my heart and hope to die."

Wufei blinked at the odd oath. "Duo, you are very strange," he said slowly. "But in any case...it was right after Treize defeated me at the end of the war."

"How 'd he defeat you?"

"That's another story."

"But Wu--"

"Do you want to hear this or not?"

"Yes, please."

*

Treize carried his newly won prize in his arms and the dragon on his shoulder, ignoring the looks from nearly everyone around him, and hurried to his personal tent. Careful not to hurt Wufei, he set him down on his bed and adjusted the single pillow beneath his head, smoothing back his dark hair. The sorcerer's body was covered in a fine sweat, and every breath came ragged, as if he couldn't get enough air. Nataku nestled out of sight beneath a blanket beside him.

"Where....where...?" he rasped.

Treize lay his fingers on his slave's lips, noting the difference in skin tone and finding it immensely exotic. "You're in my tent," he whispered. "You're safe here. I have to attend to Trowa right now, but I'll be back soon. Can you try to rest?"

"Quatre...?"

"Is alive and well. He belongs to Trowa now."

Satisfied with that, Wufei settled down and closed his eyes. Soon after, his breath came evenly. Treize hesitated, then pressed a kiss to the boy's forehead, dismayed at how feverish he felt. He shook his head to himself. He'd have to take care of that later. "I'll be back soon, I promise."

*

"Wait a second," Duo interrupted. "How do you know what he was thinking? Weren't you asleep?"

Wufei looked at him as if he were an idiot, but he didn't voice that opinion. "He told me afterward. There was plenty of time to speak on the trip back here."

"Oh...okay!"

Wufei shook his head with a sigh and continued.

*

As soon as Treize left the tent and disappeared back into the palace, two nearby guards ducked inside the tent and found the sleeping sorcerer. One of them gathered him up into his arms and carried him out, moving carefully so as not to wake him. Covering for each other, they made their way across the city to the slave blocks, and though they were closed, the master was still present. Sold for fifty denars, the guards left him and returned to camp.

*

"Which guards?" Duo broke in. "An' how d'you know how much you were sold for if you were out?"

Wufei struggled to keep his temper. "I don't know because I was asleep, but Treize found out my price later. We don't know who the guards were because I didn't see them. All right?"

"But--"

"Duo, do you want to hear this or not!"

"Sorry." Sheesh, cranky without his Treize.

*

Intending to slap the Chinese boy awake after he was hobbled, the master left him on the floor in a pile of hay and retrieved a pair of wrought iron manacles. The second he put them on his new acquisition, however, the slave screamed in agony before he'd even woken up. The mo--

*

"Why were you screaming?"

That's it, Wufei gave up and decided on the direct approach. "Because iron burns magic."

"But...physically?"

"The magic...has spread throughout my body. It's been part of me ever since I discovered my abilities. If I touch iron, both my body and my spirit are seared." Wufei sighed and lowered his head. "The master thought I was insane. He couldn't get me to quiet down, but thank heaven he didn't see how my wrists were bleeding. He'd have sold me to a private contact as an exotic catch, and then Treize would never have found me again."

"How did he find you?"

"He said that by the time Trowa had the kingdom and had put Quatre safely in chains, night had almost fallen and most of the guards were off-duty. When he noticed I was gone, he first thought I had run away, but he found Nataku still asleep in bed. He woke her up and when she stopped biting, she led him right to me."

"How'd she do that?"

Wufei smiled. "She knows exactly where I am, and I know where she is. If I must, I can look through her eyes. She can do the same, but it's disconcerting and she never warns me, so one minute I may be training, and the next I am flat on my back thinking I am flying through the air."

Duo laughed. "Considerate pet."

Wufei shrugged, his smile fading but not disappearing entirely. "Treize says the master lied and said he hadn't bought any new slaves that night. As the conquering second in command, though, he barged in and searched the blocks."

"And he found you?"

Wufei sighed. "Not at first. Have you ever seen the inside of a slave block?"

Duo shook his head.

"They are like stables for humans. They are cramped and low, two tiered, so that the wooden door opens and the slave inside, leashed to the wall, can be dragged out and presented to the bidders. All of these were open, and I was not inside."

"But...I thought all slaves had to be immediately accessible," Duo argued. "In case of fire."

"This dealer...was not so honest. Normally slaves that cannot be sold are sent to work in the mines, but for him...he sold them to necromancers as spare parts."

Duo winced.

"And since I was too weak to walk and my voice had died screaming...he took me down beneath the blocks and locked me in a cage they keep wild cats in."

"Made of iron?"

Wufei nodded. "But my clothing blocked most of it, and my body was too weak to thrash about anymore. I lay still and burned for what must have been hours, but it felt like days. Until Nataku dived in, breathing fire to light the area, and Treize followed after. He forced the master to unlock the cage." He smiled again. "I never felt so good as when he pulled me free and took the chains off."

"What happened to the master?"

"You know the penalty for selling a free born," Wufei said. "Technically, I still am. War slaves are not sellable, at least not when the laws are observed, though that usually only happens in privileged cases. In any case, Treize executed him and burned his body so the necromancers couldn't use him, and then he carried me back."

"But...it's been a year, right?" Duo gingerly picked up one hand and, when Wufei let him, examined the scars. "These look fresh."

"You didn't see the original damage. I was unconscious from shock, but Treize says Sally and Une didn't leave my side for two days, bandaging the burns and keeping my fever low. I hallucinated, dreaming that I was back in China or wandering the countryside. And when I woke up, my hands were useless."

"You obviously got them back."

"Only a few weeks after we arrived in Lagrange." Wufei smiled, his eyes staring into the distance. "He took such good care of me. I thought he wouldn't want a broken slave, but I think he loved me all the more for it. He loves to baby me."

"Lucky," Duo griped. "Heero expects me to act my age all the time."

Wufei laughed. "My heart bleeds."

*

Wufei woke to the sounds of wooden wheels rolling on dirt and hooves plodding outside...outside? He opened his eyes and found himself staring up at a cream-colored tarp stretched overhead, the gleam in the cloth showing just how much sunlight it was blocking. He shut his eyes with a groan, wincing as the wagon dipped and tilted with every curve along the route.

"Nataku?" he whispered. His ragged voice barely carried a few inches, but it was enough. A little bundle nudged his hand and crept along his arm until he could hear her quiet chirp. "Oh...there you are. Wh-where are we?"

Considerate of his injuries, she eased off of his body, her claws scraping the floorboards. He heard her jump and then he suddenly saw the surrounding landscape through her eyes. He turned on his side, curling until the vertigo and nausea dissipated.

She gave him a sweeping glance from the back of what he could now see was a military caravan, letting him adjust to the view before moving again. Another wagon pulled by mules followed several yards behind, and to the sides were dozens of Lagrange soldiers on horseback. One of them noticed the little dragon and pointed her out to his comrades. Fascinated, they stared and whispered, amazed by her sleepy yawns and the way she adjusted from one leg to another, until a dark horse and rider came into view.

Wufei winced when he saw his "master" come up alongside the back, but he gave no outward sign of it. The captain hitched his mount to the rear and climbed in, and to Wufei's astonishment, stroked Nataku's head without being snapped at. She even chirped and tilted her head so he could rub her other side.

"Your friend seems to like me," Treize murmured.

His sight turned dark as Nataku let him see out of his own eyes again, but he kept them closed even when he felt Treize's presence beside him.

"You're...the second person..." Wufei whispered between breaths, "...she's let touch her...besides me."

Treize lay his hand on the sorcerer's forehead, pushing his hair from his face. "She really cares for you. I'd never have found you otherwise." He frowned and moved his fingers to just under Wufei's cheek. "Your fever's still pretty high."

"How long've I...been asleep?"

"Almost two days. For awhile I thought I pulled you out too late. You were burning up." He took Wufei's arm and held it up. "I need to check on your wrists, all right?"

Wufei opened his eyes and stared at him, confused. "What?"

Treize motioned at the linen bandages around Wufei's wrist. "Where the iron touched your skin. The burns run deep, and I need to change the bandages after awhile."

Wufei watched as Treize unwound the white strips until the last few inches came back stained reddish brown. The soldier frowned in dismay. "Well, at least it's not bleeding anymore, but...I could've just taken those chains off for how fresh those burns look."

The sorcerer sighed. "They probably won't heal for a long time."

"How long?" Treize trimmed the bloody ends off and wrapped the wound over again. "Weeks? Months?"

"Years."

Treize nearly dropped his hand. "Years?"

"Iron is poison. I'm lucky I didn't die."

"You had two attentive nurses when I wasn't by your side," Treize said. He finished the tucking the bandage in tight and moved to do the same to the other hand. "Will you ever get well again?"

From her perch at the rear, Nataku chirped out an answer and went back to preening, entertaining the soldiers to no end.

"She says a few months or so," Wufei mumbled.

"Looks like I'll be taking care of you then," Treize replied with a smile. "Is there anything you can take to heal faster? Traveling in a caravan is easier when you're healthy."

Wufei shrugged, as if what he would say was useless. "Silver. In small quantities, like a ring or stone."

"What does a large amount do to you?"

Wufei tried to hide his blush, but a faint tinge of pink darkened his face. "More of...what you saw."

"With my dagger?" Treize drew his fingers across the blush. "Did you enjoy that, or did you simply have no choice?"

Wufei flinched at his touch and shied away as far as his sore muscles would allow.

"Wufei?"

He didn't answer. He tried to flex his hands, to lift them up and push Treize's offending fingers away. Instead he found that he couldn't even feel his hands anymore.

Nevertheless, Treize understood his slave's look and politely withdrew his hand. "I understand. My apologies. I won't force you into anything. King J will want your services, though. Magickal services," he clarified.

The Chinese boy let out a little sigh. "That...I can do." He glanced back up at him. "Is Quatre all right?"

"Yes, he's Trowa's concubine now." He gave Wufei a stern look. "I'm only telling you because he's your friend. The official story is that he's dead. You must not tell anyone."

"Thank you. I won't."

Treize gazed back out where Nataku stood, watching her chirp and extend her wings just to hear his troops coo and pay attention. "Was Quatre a close friend? He was almost in tears when he couldn't say goodbye to you."

"My only friend."

"Were you and he...?"

Confused, Wufei narrowed his eyes. "Were he and I what?"

"Lovers?"

The light pink color flushed bright and Wufei gasped. "N-no! Nothing like that!" He coughed as the loud volume aggravated his already sore throat. "I've never...with anyone..."

"My apologies. I didn't mean to fluster you." Treize leaned back against the side of the wagon and took a deep breath. "Too curious, I suppose."

"Have you...?"

He nodded once. "Yes, with my second. He has the most beautiful gold hair and blue eyes...but he left me. For a woman." He gave a bitter laugh. "I still feel a bit jilted." He fell silent for a moment, about to touch Wufei again, then thought better of it and got back up. He didn't want to spook him, and there would be time enough later. "I'll return in a few minutes. I need to get some silver out of the spoils wagon."

Now Wufei stared in open confusion. "You...what...?" For me?

"Silver," he repeated. "There should be some in the treasure we're bringing. Just sleep now." He put his hand over Wufei's eyes, shutting them, and the sorcerer's exhaustion overpowered him. Once he was sure his slave was in no severe pain, Treize climbed out and slid onto his horse.

"All right," he told his soldiers, "that's enough dragon watching for today." While his troops groaned in disappointment, Treize looked back at the dragon. "Watch over him."

Insulted by the insinuation that she wouldn't, Nataku squawked and took her place at Wufei's side, laying her head on his arm while stretching one wing over his chest. Her tail flicked on his hand while she kept her eyes on the open back of the wagon.

*

Duo groaned and shifted to his other side, laying his head back on his newly fluffed pillow. "When are they gonna come back for us?"

Roused from his memories, Wufei didn't bother to look up from his side of the bed. "When they're finished with their meeting with Relena, hopefully."

"Hopefully?"

"They might find it safer to leave us here during the masquerade, so that we're not in harm's way. So it could be several hours before they release us, maybe even tomorrow morning." He closed his eyes and settled down. "Try to get some sleep."

"Sheesh," Duo grumbled, closing his eyes. The veil fluttered around his face, and he lifted it slightly so it wouldn't bother him. "They can't be all that busy..."

*

Treize dashed out of the banquet hall in a sprint, hardly aware of the doors slamming shut behind him. At the ready were a handful of Arabian horses, saddled and bridled at all times for the captain.

A trail of gold flashed to his right, and then Zechs appeared beside him. "Did you see which way they ran?"

"They went for the market," Treize said, jumping on his horse. "We can beat them there if we move fast enough."

Zechs climbed up on his own mount, readjusting his mask. "I'm glad I wasn't in the banquet, or else I wouldn't have my sword with me."

"I wish I'd had your foresight," a new voice chimed in.

They looked up in time to see Dorothy vault up onto the last horse, nimble despite the deceptively long dress. She flipped her hair out of her face. "I only have a ceremonial sword. Shall we go?"

"After you, cousin," Treize answered.

Without another word their horses bolted out of the palace courtyard and into the dark empty streets. Dorothy and Treize took point while Zechs fell into pace behind them. The two men alternated glancing at her and the assassins running over the rooftops, and she noticed their looks.

"Still don't trust me, cousin?" she laughed.

"I do," Treize replied. "I trust you to put a knife in whomever you don't like."

"Oh, I'm over that," she said. "Just a childish phase I went through."

"Now it's people you like?"

She tossed her head again. "Of course not. Only people who try to hurt Miss Relena."

He glared at her. "I need them alive."

"Both?"

"Yes."

"In one piece?"

"Yes."

"You're no fun." She sniffed and spurred her horse on. "But I still get to play with one."

Treize looked back up and saw that the pair had separated and were now going in opposite directions. A split decision was required. "Damn! Dorothy," he called over the rising volume of the pounding hooves, "you can have the one on the left. Zechs, follow me!"

As the two horses veered right, Dorothy grumbled to herself. "Oh sure, take the fat one and make me run harder." Despite her complaints, her eyes gleamed, anticipating the capture of her prey.

Back on the other street, the two soldiers cornered around a house, fast approaching the slower moving target. Zechs spared a moment to look at Treize.

"Do you think she'll tell Relena anything?"

"You don't think the mask keeps you safe? You left her kingdom years ago."

"Dorothy was never a fool."

"No, she never was." Treize shook his head. "I don't think she will. She wouldn't tell Relena anything that'd hurt her, not if it wasn't necessary."

Zechs' look turned grim. "Hopefully Milliardo is still unnecessary."

Treize did not know how to respond to that. Fortunately an agonized scream from above saved him from a reply and brought his attention back to their task. "I'll go up first. Come around from the other side."

Zechs nodded his understanding and dismounted, running into the darkness. Treize slid off his horse and started up the side of the house, using the garbage pile as a boost to the windowsill, where he could grab the edge of the roof and pull himself up. He hauled his body halfway over the ledge and was about to throw one arm out for support when he saw a thousand sparkles of moonlight glimmer on the surface. Not five feet away lay the would-be assassin, moaning in pain on his side, with the little sparkles all over his skin.

"Be careful, Zechs," Treize warned. "The roof is covered in glass!"

The silvery mask and blonde hair poked up from he other side. "I see it. Looks like he picked the wrong house to run on."

They both clambered up and carefully picked their way around the shards and slivers. Treize knelt by his target, avoiding the smears of blood all over the surface.

"Damn."

"Treize?"

The captain looked up and shook his head. "He's going to be hell to carry back to the palace, and he'll probably be dead in a few hours anyway."

Zechs gazed over the assassin. "You're right. Can your little sorcerer do anything?"

"Yes, but he won't like it. He hates calling souls up from the grave."

Zechs knelt by the body and searched around, staining his gloves red, but he found nothing of any use. "I'll have a few men round the body up once we return. I don't suppose Catalonia will leave her man alive?"

"Of course I will, Mr. Milliardo."

A peculiar crunching noise followed Dorothy's voice as she walked up behind them. When they looked over, they saw her stepping firmly on the glass, wiping blood from her hands and face. The crimson splatters on her clothes and hair would have to wait until later.

"Oh dear...if I'd known you'd have such a hard time, I wouldn't have been so rough on my catch." She smiled. "You weren't always so sloppy, Mr. Milliardo."

"Dorothy..."

"Don't worry, sir. I would never let Miss Relena know where her errant brother's run off to." Her smile broadened. "Shouldn't we be heading back now? Miss Relena needs my protection."

Treize bristled at the off-hand remark. In all too polite tones he responded, "Your 'Miss Relena' is probably safer in Lagrange than she is in Sank."

Dorothy's manners went from arrogant to icy. "With arrows flying in the palace windows?"

Zechs nodded. "With an army. And a standing guard. And a sorcerer."

"Sank has a sorcerer for its defenses as well, and he doesn't faint after every incantation!"

Treize smirked despite the slight to Wufei. I'll have to find out how she found out about his fainting spells. "Yes, but ours isn't about to keel over from old age."

"Pargan isn't that old!"

"Please, dear, he's falling apart."

*chirp*

They all glanced down and spotted Nataku sitting on top of the assassin, readjusting her position each time the wounded man tried to shift away from her talons. Treize extended his arm, and she leaped up and glided over to land near his shoulder.

"Sent you to check up on me, did he?" He stroked one wing and stared deep into her eyes. "The assassins have been caught, but they're not going to live for very long. We'll likely need you to conjure up their souls later, so get some rest now." He lowered his voice to a tiny whisper. "I'll be back soon, I promise, and you'll have my every attention."

Back in the tiny room, Wufei heard every word and breathed out, happy his love was alive. He drowsed, hovering between sleep and waking until Nataku severed the contact.

Treize turned to his second, intentionally ignoring Dorothy. "Stay here. I'll send Noin with enough soldiers to move the prisoners. See if you can keep them alive long enough." He gave Nataku a little nudge and sent her to Zechs' arm. Instead she decided to perch on the top of his mask.

"Where's the other one?" Zechs asked Dorothy.

Sullen now, she shrugged to her right, motioning to the bloody mess she'd casually dropped on a nearby roof. Grimacing, Treize exchanged a brief look with Zechs. The captain and Dorothy headed off the roof while Zechs walked over to the other assassin and started to rifle through his clothes.

*

TBC...

*

1. Medieval English Verse. Trans. by Brian Stone. Ed. by Betty Radice. Penguin: New York, 1981.