Harry Potter - Series Fan Fiction ❯ Clair de Lune ❯ Dans l'Inconnu ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Chapter Three:
Dans l'Inconnu
"Into the Unknown"
Harry looked around the train station nervously. Uncle Vernon and Aunt Petunia had been bristling at him all morning, because of last night. Narcissa's large eagle owl, Paracelsus, had visited again last night to remind Harry to wait for them on the platform so they could say good-bye properly and meet Lucius, Draco's dad. Paracelsus and Hedwig didn't like each other, or at least not usually, so Hedwig was not against refusing to share her water with the larger specimen of owl. For Harry this meant sneaking up an extra tray for Paracelsus to use, a dangerous venture since the Dursleys were on edge after the revelation of his wizardry. But Harry had done it anyway and had been lucky enough not to be caught. Unfortunately his luck ran out.
Paracelsus had been giving Harry an affectionate farewell, when he apparently over stepped his boundaries as visiting owl and Hedwig hooted something, clearly offensive at him. This led to Paracelsus hooting back and soon Harry's room sounded like a menagerie of angry animals. The Dursleys had rushed in the demand answers and had not been pleased to discover Harry had been having contact with a magical person or that this person now knew where they lived. Harry had decided to forgo mentioning his relation to Narcissa and Draco not sure how they'd react, but sure it wouldn't be well.
So the Dursleys woke up, late, tired from staying up half the night to yell at Harry and surly from having to have to go to London. Harry was quite sure he wouldn't have gone if it wasn't for Dudley's consistent begging to get rid of his tail. They'd arrived at the train station late and Harry hadn't bothered saying good-bye as he quickly threw his things on a trolley and rushed off before the Dursleys had even come to a full stop. He had all of twelve minutes to get to the platform and he was sure that Narcissa would be worried, if she didn't already think he was some inconsiderate oaf who forgot his promises. Harry felt a twinge of guilt and hurried. Apparently he wasn't the only one late because he saw a large family of red heads waiting there.
"Hello there," he told the plump red haired woman. She looked down at him with surprised brown eyes.
"Why hello there dear," she replied with a smile looking over him as if searching for his parents. Not finding them she looked down at Harry concerned. "Are you lost dear? Do you know how to...?" She gestured towards the barrier between the platforms.
"Oh, it's okay ma'am. We got here late and my cousins are waiting on the other side." Harry said as he fought a blush of happiness when he realized he had family waiting for him. The woman relaxed and smiled.
"That's good dear, you can go before Ron," she told him kindly and he saw that the other boys had gone leaving the youngest, a tall, gangly boy with a long nose and curious blue eyes, who stood beside his sister.
"Thank you ma'am," he told her and looked at the barrier a little nervous.
"It's best to take it at a run your first time." She offered quietly so the others wouldn't overhear. Harry nodded and began running at the barrier. He closed his eyes doubt clenching his stomach, sure he'd hit it, but when they opened he was on the other side. And with a smile he saw a blond woman hovering nearby, who smiled when she saw him.
"There you are Harry, I was starting to worry." The woman said clearly relieved. Harry smiled his heart swelling as he walked towards her.
"Sorry we were late." He apologized sheepishly, realizing how shabby he looked compared to her impeccable attire. It was clear his cousins were wealthy and it made the difference between them jarring and a little embarrassing.
"Oh that's fine dear, why don't you go find a compartment, I'll go get Draco and Lucius, he's been dying to meet you." Harry nodded, relieved she wasn't upset and rushed off to find a compartment. Finding and empty to one near the end he began to attempt to get his trunk, but kept dropping it on his foot.
"Need some help?" one of the red heads from earlier offered, appearing at his side. Harry blushed rubbing his sore foot and nodded. His twin quickly rushed over and between the three of them they managed it.
"Thanks," Harry told them stretching as he fell into a nearby chair.
"No problem," the one who'd offered told him. "I'm Fred and this is—"
"George Weasley, pleasure." The other finished. Harry smiled and a little nervously offered his hand.
"I'm Harry." He said and they shook. Before any of them could say anything though a familiar voice floated in through the open door.
"Harry, where are you?" Narcissa called. Harry felt another happy skip in his heart and he and the Weasley twins parted as their mother called for them. Narcissa smiled as Harry jogged over. Beside her as a bored looking Draco, who had Paracelsus in his arms. Behind them was a tall, elegantly dressed blond man, who looked just like Draco, holding the handle of a trolley.
"Harry this is my husband Lucius Malfoy," Narcissa told him oddly formal. Harry shifted nervously under those cold gray eyes and smiled.
"It's a pleasure to meet you, sir," he told him politely. The man watched him for a few more moments before answering with a mildly pleasant smile. Harry wasn't sure, but he thought he may have passed some test. Weird.
"Like wise Mister Potter," Lucius told him and a whistle blew telling them it was close to time to go. In a rush they loaded Draco's trunk and placed Paracelsus as far away from Hedwig as possible. Then came the good byes and promises to write. Harry watched Narcissa and Lucius disappear and noticed the little red haired girl was running beside them waving as she cried and laughed. Harry smiled with excitement. He wasn't completely sure what to expect, but he had people who cared and wanted him.

Draco was a little disappointed when Potter did indeed show up. So knowing his anger and frustration would show if he spoke Draco remained silent as they loaded his things and said good bye. Seeing Potter look at him expectantly Draco quickly drew out one of his books from his trunk, drawing at random. He wound up with Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them by Newt Scamander and began to pretend to be completely absorbed. Unfortunately his fake reading was interrupted by a red head opening the door. Draco glared at the boy, before looking back at the book. Biting back any of the hundreds of insults that stood perched on his tongue.
Potter did the introductions as a pair of twins came in. Draco was relieved Harry didn't mention his last name, he didn't feel like dealing with hostility at the moment, the red heads were too distracted when they realized it was Harry Potter to pay him too much attention anyway. Draco bristled glaring at the red head when he dared ask about if Harry remembered anything from the night his parents were murdered. The boy instantly shut up at Draco's look and changed the subject. Weasley or not did he posses no tact? It wasn't that Draco necessarily cared about Harry's feelings, but it was an excuse to act hostile to Weasley.
After an awkward moment Draco went back to his book, forcing himself to read as Potter and Weasley 'bonded'. Draco mentally snorted at the thought. Honestly, Potter was such an andouille, if he didn't realize how foolish it was to befriend a Weasley. No money, no charm, no standing. He was better off befriending a rock. Draco knew that if things had been different he would probably have been ordered to befriend Potter and steer him away, but now it was unnecessary. Potter apparently thought of him as a friend without Draco having to make an effort. Draco comforted himself at his cousin making such a social faux pas with that at least he was a pureblood. As traitorous as you could get, but pure all the same.
Draco forced himself to focus as they comforted each other over their bad hands in life and noted that he would have to tell his mother about those horrid Muggles. It was something she'd want to know. But eventually the droning voices were fading out of his hearing and he was truly absorbed in his book. He was surprised by how fascinating it was to learn about magical creatures even he'd never heard about. He was in fact so buried in it, he didn't even realize until too late he'd accepted Potter's offer of a jelly bean and popped it in his mouth. He instantly gagged and spat it out throwing a dirty look at the laughing duo.
Weasley looked up tears streaming down his face and burst into another peal of laughter at Draco's offended expression. Potter at least was calm enough to speak. "Sorry Draco we just couldn't decide which of us should try it, and you weren't even paying attention when I handed it too you." Potter looked up at him with a small sheepish smile eyes wide like a hopeful puppy used to being kicked. Draco huffed glaring at them both. The pair of ânes muets, he thought darkly, calling them a word his mother most definitely would not like him knowing.
"Pepper," he informed them wrinkling his nose disdainfully. Potter stuffed his fist over his mouth to stifle the giggles and Weasley grinned looking at him sympathetically in a way that made Draco wish to vomit.
"Sorry mate, but your face was priceless." The red head said in a friendly manner that made Draco fight the violent urge to strangle him. Draco simple nodded and picked up his book, only to be interrupted by someone at the door. He looked up bristling, the round faced boy standing their instantly flinched back cowed by the look. Potter though smiled at him encouragingly, giving Draco a reproachful look. You bloody prat! Draco mentally ranted. You have no right to reproach anything I do. It's bad enough I'll be stuck with you. Inwardly fuming Draco glared unfriendly at the boy as he stuttered out his reason for being there.
"H-Have you seen a toad?" the tearful boy questioned. Draco desperately wanted to tell him no and to get lost, but he was sure Potter might actually verbally scold him if he did. And honestly if he went through that after all the suffering the boy caused him and would no doubt cause him, he couldn't be responsible for his actions. And he was quite sure they would not help his effort to pay back his debt.
"Sorry, but I'm sure he'll turn up eventually." Potter said kindly. The boy simply nodded glumly and after a fearful look at Draco left.
"Don't know why he's so bothered," Weasley said, looking mildly interested. "If I'd brought a toad I'd lose it as quick as I could. Mind you, I brought Scabbers, so I can't talk." Draco looked at the Weasley for a long moment and smirked. Something they could agree on. Draco cocked his head to the side as the boy drew his wand to try and turn the rat yellow. Draco doubted he could, that would be a pretty advance Transfiguration that he doubted a Weasley, or any first year could accomplish. Then of course he was bothered once more by the annoying ingrates he would be trapped with for seven long, painful years. The toad boy was back and he brought a girl.
"What. Do. You. Want?" Draco growled through clenched teeth. The girl looked at him clearly a bit taken aback by the hostility and a flash of hurt when through her brown eyes before she swelled up her bushy hair seeming to bristle like an offended cat's.
"I just wanted to ask if you'd seen a toad, Neville's lost one." She told him in a bossy voice. Draco glared at her, and after a moments hesitation she gathered her nerve and glared back.
"He's been here before." Draco drawled smoothly. The girl flushed at his tone, but was quickly distracted by the wand in Weasley's hand. Her eyes lit up in a way that told Draco plenty about hr personality. Bookworm.
"Your doing magic, let's see." She said quickly sitting next to Weasley looking at him expectantly. Weasley and Potter shared a look clearly taken aback by this, but instead of telling her to leave like Draco very much desired to, Weasley went on to perform the sorriest excuse for a spell Draco had ever seen.
"Are you sure that's a real spell?" the girl asked a little too demeaning for Draco's taste. The next words out of Hermione Granger's mouth sealed her fate as Draco's hated enemy. The girl was Muggleborn. Perfect an excuse to despise her. Beside her perfectionist personality.
"Ron Weasley."
"Harry Potter." They looked at him expectantly after they'd finished there introductions.
"Draco Malfoy." Draco drawled pleasantly, secretly smiling at Weasley's reaction to the name. his mouth popped open and he gapped at him. Granger apparently didn't recognize the name, but the other boy did. Neville Who-ever-he-was looked at Draco with a blank expression that made him feel uneasy.
"Sounds French." Granger said airily. Draco eyed her angrily.
"It is, a close translation being 'bad faith', Mademoiselle Rat de bibliothèque," Draco told her voice still pleasant even as he insulted her. She narrowed her eyes at him clearly suspicious, before she turned, unsurprisingly, towards Potter. The conversation was torture for Draco, who didn't hesitate to inform her she was unwelcome every chance he got, without of course doing anything rude that Potter would notice. She left after announcing they'd arrive soon.
"Whatever house I'm in I hope she's not there," Weasley said distastefully. Draco was beginning to worry for his sanity at agreeing with a Weasley twice in one day. But his thoughts quickly changed when Weasley turned to him warily.
"You didn't say you were a Malfoy." Weasley said cautiously, without sounding too hostile. Potter looked between them confused. Draco frowned at Weasley, honestly he hadn't even done anything too him. Well yet anyway.
"Your point?" Draco questioned coolly. Weasley flushed for some reason and continued.
"My Dad told me that all Malfoys are evil scum," Draco bristled, but it was Potter who opened his mouth to defend him first.
"Shut up! Draco hasn't done anything to you! Draco's my family, if you don't like him than you don't like me!" Potter snarled jumping to his feet. Weasley drew back into his chair and frowned at Potter before eyeing Draco thoughtfully.
"I was going to say, that, that is what my Dad thinks, but after seeing Draco I'm not convinced he was right." Weasley told them and Potter instantly relaxed. Smiling nervously, but apparently pleased. Draco simply looked at Weasley who smiled at him sheepishly before sighing and relaxing in his chair. Any tension left quickly evaporated. How very wrong they were. He despised both of them and now found them completely stupid for not realizing it.
"So what house do you think you'll be in?" Potter questioned, cheerfully changing the subject.
"Gryffindor, probably, the entire family's in it," Weasley told him looking oddly depressed. "But Ravenclaw wouldn't be so bad. Imagine being in Slytherin though—" Weasley instantly cut off throwing Draco and apologetic look for his disgusted tone.
"Sorry, I know your family's been in it as long as mine's been in Gryffindor." Weasley told him repentantly. Draco rolled his eyes.
"Not all of us, there's been one or two Gryffindors and there's always at least three Ravenclaws every generation." Draco told him blandly.
"But you think you'll be in Slytherin don't you Draco?" Potter questioned looking oddly sad. It took Draco a few minutes to realize why and he almost rolled his eyes. Honestly, the boy was probably torn over choosing which house he wanted to be in. He was already sickeningly attached to Weasley and was too blind to realize Draco hated him.
"You never know," Draco said vaguely, "You might be surprised." Both the boys looked pensive at this and turned the conversation to something interesting Quidditch. Draco actually managed to participate willingly. It was surprisingly entertaining, though it would have been more enjoyable without his current companions. Draco's thought grew depressed as they changed into there robes and got off the train. Finally arriving did not help Draco's mood or make him feel very charitable towards Potter. One of the best experiences of his life ruined.
"Firs' years! Firs' years over hear!" A booming voice shouted as they approached the familiar towering man. He smiled at them black eyes glittering in a friendly manner. "All right there Harry, Draco?" The big man called eyes lingering concerned on Draco's pessimistic expression. Potter yelled back fine as they climbed into the boats. Draco's joy at being separated from them was short lived as he turned to examine his new companions. Pansy Parkinson glared at him accusingly, Theodore Nott eyed him thoughtfully, and Blaise Zabini, the one he hated most after Potter, smirked at him eyes amused.
"Well, well," Blaise drawled a sickening expression causing his face to brighten. "What is our future Prince doing with Potter and a Weasel?" Draco felt his throat go dry as the pulled off the bank. Well merde.


Converting /tmp/phpS5lf5U to /dev/stdout