Harry Potter - Series Fan Fiction ❯ Dearest Severus ❯ A Letter of Truth ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

So.
Here we are again…
just me and you…
(grins evilly) Well, now. What can we do to…enjoy…this rare moment of absolute privacy? Hm?
AH! I know! We could always read a new ficcies…right?
(smirks) Right.
This is the next letter in my series, Dearest. And although its the second letter, IT DOES NOT FOLLOW DEAREST HARRY! It's a stand-alone one-shot. Please remember that.
DISCLAIMER:Nope. Not mine. If it was mine…I think I could come up with a few…amusing…plots…hehehehehe…

Dearest Severus: A Letter of Truth
One-shot fic
By: Ceris Malfoy

Dearest Severus,
There are things, I know, that will never, ever change. Like the simple fact that you're an asshole, or that I'm a Gryffindor. But, sometimes, I wish that, just once, you would see that not everything is as it seems.
Heroes are not always pure, nor are enemies always evil.
At first, everything was so simple. All I had to do was play the foolish little hero and everybody (except you) was pleased. Dumbledore smiled and twinkled and gave out praises like they were low carb. candies. But underneath everyone's ...awe was something cold; something dark. It called to me, even as the barest whisper of it chilled me to my very core.
But, like everything else, it all changed. The people's love turned to hate and their open-mindedness turned into down right fear. Their fear ate at me, echoed repeatedly in my head until I found myself striving to prove their fears unfounded.
And through it all, Dumbledore continued to send me back to the Dursley's. No one, except Dumbledore, will ever know what I went through there; that is one secret I'll take to my grave. They've been taken care of, as I'm sure you've read by now. And that's really all that matters, isn't it?
But it was later, after the Department of Mysteries incident, that the rumors started. Spread by the members of the Order of the Phoenix itself. Did they think I wouldn't find out? That I wouldn't care to find out where the rumors originated from? That I wouldn't track them down to make them pay? Maybe once upon a time I wouldn't have cared, maybe once I would've even forgiven them.
But I am a completely new animal. And I don't forgive.
Or forget.
Were you aware of what they said? I know that they often kept you out of the loop where I was concerned; despite (or even because of) the fact that you had proven over and over again that you would risk much to protect me. Did you know that they told people that I was Lord Voldemort? They did. No one except Dumbledore had ever seen me and him in the same place (and lived), and every time someone saw the Dark Lord and survived (a very rare occurrence, as I'm sure you know), they couldn't remember anything about the monster except livid scarlet eyes and a high-pitched laugh.
`How else could I have escaped him so many times?' they asked. And I am still hard-pressed to answer.
But my own personal belief is that I held the larger portion of his soul. He couldn't kill me because his soul, the part of him that was once Tom Riddle, resided in me. The lost, abused, and neglected Riddle, who gave in far too quickly to the dark...
I've known pain, Severus, despite your assumptions that I'm a spoiled little shit. I've known anger and loathing and jealousy and betrayal, suffering and agony and sorrow and regret and thousands of other such ...negative emotions. But only once have I ever felt joy.
When I finally killed Lord Voldemort, I felt an almost unbearable joy. And it wasn't because he was finally defeated or because the world could finally live in peace or any of that bullshit. But, rather, I had finally gotten rid of that which I was in danger of becoming had I not fought with every inch of my being.
I am all that's left of your Lord and Master, Severus. I was once Harry Potter, but now, well... I'm not quite sure of who I am now. I was once Harold James Potter. I was once Tom Riddle. I was once Lord Voldemort.
Now, now I am... I.
But I digress.
Things happened, as they are wont to do, and with each step I took, I got closer to my fate.
I had trained; Albus Dumbledore was too much of a goody-goody to send a `child' into the snake-pit unprepared. And by Merlin did I train. Occlumancy, Legilimency, Black Magic, Earth Magic, Spell Crafting, Physical Defense, Defensive Strategy, Offensive Strategy, Fencing, Healing, Potions, Parsel-Magic...the list goes on. For seven years I trained. For seven years I watched as my teachers eventually became the students.
I grew too powerful, too quickly.
Despite my grievances, I know that Albus was truly acting on what he thought were in my best interests. I see that now.
But time moves on in its steady beat, and all things must pay eventually.
The Old Fool may have thought he was doing what was right, but the fact remains that he not only wronged me, he also wronged others. He has made the same mistakes time and time again, and it was time for him to pay.
It was perfect. He had been weakened greatly when I forced him to drink cup after cup of poison. And had neither you nor Draco acted when you had, Dumbledore would have died by my hands.
I would have brought him down to the level my relatives brought me, and I would have watched as he begged for my non-existent mercy. I would have laughed; laughed like my everyone laughed at me and called me `melodramatic' or `attention seeker' or `deranged lunatic' every time I tried to tell what it was my relatives were doing to me.
You killed him with the Avada Kedavra, but I... I would have killed him with the Nenya Curse. have you ever heard of the Nenya Curse? No? Well, that's hardly surprising.
The Nenya Curse was named after Renenutet Nenya, a young girl who had stumbled upon the curse purely by accident. An abused girl, she had tried to use Legilimency on an attacker, looking for a weakness, something to exploit. Instead, she ended up transferring every memory that caused her pain -emotional or otherwise- into her intended victim.
What is more, her accidental spell forced the recipient to live the memories, not just view them. A lifetime of pain in just a few moments...
A quick and very ruthless girl, she quickly realized the powerful weapon she had. After two years of research and six more years of experimentation, she managed to create a curse that everyone could use... if they had any truly torturous memories and the intent to exact revenge.
It is this spell which finally felled Lord Voldemort.
And once he was dead, my world crumbled yet again. The Wizarding World proclaimed me a hero, but all of them were terrified that I would take over where the Dark Lord left off. My two best friends couldn't bear to see a murderer go free and unpunished so they sent me to Rufus, who very gladly tried to throw me into Azkaban with the remaining Dementors.
It didn't work.
And if you've been reading the paper lately, you might recall the `tragedy' that befell Granger and Wealsey.
And Bellatrix, Lucius, Remus, and Rufus.
And the Dursleys.
And then, I left, and the entire world breathed a sigh of relief.
It's funny, but thinking back on everything, I realize only now that I should have let that damn hat put me in Slytherin.
In Slytherin, I would have made true friends, would have become aware of Dumbledore's manipulations earlier, proved to you that I am not my father, realized my magical potential.
Oh well. No use moping about it now.
By now, you've either thrown this into the fireplace, dismissing this as “sheer stupidity”... or, you're wondering why the Hell I'm saying all this shit to you.
You'll find out before you ever get to the salutations if you actually bothered to read the letter.
Forever yours,
Harold James Potter
P.S. -You took my revenge from me Snape, and if there is one thing a man like you ought to understand, its the importance of revenge. I told you that I don't forget or forgive, but one thing I forgot to mention was this:
I repay.
Enjoy Azkaban you asshole.
-H.J.P.

Well? How did you like it. Major leagure AU, I know. So please don't write and comlain that I've screwed my facts up. I started writing this during book 4, and then got around to reading book 6 and was like "HOLY SHIT! I GOTTA PUT THAT IN THERE!" So I made the letter an AU and incorporated alot of details from the books to make it sound believable, at least.
And for those of you who are way beyond confused, it's okay. I was confused even while I was writing the damn thing. Read, review, and enjoy!
Kisses,
Ceris Malfoy