Harry Potter - Series Fan Fiction ❯ Harry Potter and The Blade of Blood ❯ Parting ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Hogwarts, Hogwarts…
 
The six friends drifted between the trees, five of them belching out a final goodbye to the place that had been their home for the better part of the past six years.
 
Hoggy-warty--Hogwarts…
 
The one who was silent - the dark haired, bespectacled boy of seventeen, strode with hands in the pockets of his pants, a thick, dark cloak wrapped around his shoulders and a deep hood pulled up. His entrancing green eyes bore dark holes into the forest floor as he walked, the voices of his friends ringing in his ears, the empty lyrics of the song playing across his blank mind.
 
Teach us something please!
 
Two of the friends were holding hands, swinging their arms back and forth as they continued the school song. The man ran his free hand through bright, unruly red hair, the woman beside him flipping her waves of brown hair over her shoulder. A third friend, this one also a woman and younger than the others by a year, watched the dark-haired man worriedly, the words singing from her mouth of their own accord. Her bright brown eyes were shadowed as she watched him, contrasting from her normally cheerful personality. The final two were smiling widely, their faces tilted upward to the cool, twilight breeze. Their voices were the loudest of the group, proclaiming clearly to the world their final departure from the school.
 
Whether we be old and bald, or young with scabby knees!
 
Just put one foot in front of the other. the dark haired man thought to himself, fighting to keep himself moving. He set up mental barriers against the cascades of doubts and worries that threatened to swamp him, and cause him to turn back, abandoning the statutes that he had worked so hard to establish indefinitely within him.
 
Our heads could use some filling with some interesting stuff…
 
Harry… The youngest Weasley continued to study him as he stayed a good few feet in front of them, off to the side. Ginny had never seen him act like this in all the years that she had known him…that is, until Dumbledore died two weeks ago. Ever since then, Harry had been rather quiet and distant, separating himself from others seemingly whenever possible. He was known to have sudden bouts of anger as well, flying off the handle for almost no reason at all. The truth was, she was scared for him, afraid what went through his mind in the day, and played in his dreams at night. Scared of what lay before him, of the dangers and plights that awaited in the many tasks of the Order of the Phoenix. Afraid of the hopeless longing, loneliness, and feeling of emptiness that his absence in her life would leave with her.
 
For now they're bare, and full of…air…
 
The song died on their tongues as Harry drew to a sudden stop, his face turned straight ahead. When he spoke, his voice was tight, but commanding.
 
“This is where we say goodbye.” he announced, and he turned, his eyes locking with Ginny's. The meaning of his words hit her like a physical blow. The breath was momentarily knocked from her lungs.
 
“Harry…” her voice and eyes pleaded with him, but he was ready for such a thing. Though his jaw was set, his eyes reflected the sadness and anguish within him.
 
“Ginny, please…don't argue. Don't make this any harder than it is. We both knew that this moment would come - there's nothing we can do.”
 
“Don't do this. Please, please don't…”
 
“Ginny.”
 
She turned, her eyes meeting her older brother's. The look he gave her brought tears to her eyes.
 
“It's time to go.” he said softly, his arm around Hermione's shoulders as he held her to him. His blue eyes were dark as he watched her lower lip tremble. She couldn't stand looking at those eyes anymore - she whipped back to Harry.
 
“I've been with you guys and fighting along side you guys since you started here at Hogwarts. I was even a part of Dumbledore's Army!” she argued, “Why should I have to—”
 
Harry cut her off. He strode closer to her, placing his hands on her shoulders, and said, “Because it's safer for you here. We have only one year longer here, and we've already learned as much as we're going to. Also, I'd be endangering the entire school if I stayed. I have to fight Ginny, and I would never forgive myself if you or anyone else got hurt on my account.”
 
He brought her closer, one hand rising to brush a thumb tenderly across her jaw line. He knew this would be the last time he could ever allow himself to touch her like this again. It's for her own protection. he reminded himself again. It didn't help to alleviate the pain in his heart. Leaning forward, he kissed her lightly on the forehead.
 
“Damn it, Harry.” she grumbled, her fingers snagging his open shirt collar as he began to pull away again, “This is the last time I'll see you in God knows how long. Can't you even give me a real kiss?”
 
She didn't wait for an answer. Rather, she used his collar to pull him to her, and pressed her lips to his in a passionate kiss, her body clinging to his as if in desperation. The other four's faces reddened, and they averted their eyes.
 
When they finally pulled apart, Ginny's finger toyed with one of the buttons of his polo shirt.
 
“Two months from now is Bill's and Phlem's wedding. It's at the Burrow, and you sure as bloody hell had better be there.” she said quickly, in a no-nonsense tone, her eyes burrowing into his.
 
“Don't worry.” Harry returned, “I'll be there.”
 
She smiled half-heartedly. Neither of them knew how true his words would turn out to be, but the prospect of a meeting at least gave her something to look forward to.
 
“I'll miss you.” she whispered, and bounced quickly onto tip-toe and gave him another fleeting kiss.
 
“I'll miss you too.” was his response, and he stepped away from her, urging her with a gentle touch to get headed back to the castle.
 
The youngest Weasley said her goodbyes to each of them in turn - Ron, Hermione, Neville, and Luna - then started off towards the fringe of the forest. She paused several feet away, and turned halfway towards them, giving a final wave goodbye. They all returned the wave, and she was gone.
 
For several moments, the group stood there silently, watching the place that Ginny had disappeared, each lost in their own thoughts.
 
“Harry…” Hermione began, but he held up a hand,
 
“I'm fine.” he said, and she fell silent.
 
Faintly, echoing across the forest, they heard someone sing.
 
Dead flies and bits of fluff!”
 
Harry's lips turned up slightly at the edges, the closest he ever got to a smile these days. The others heard her too, and took up the song once again.
 
So teach us things worth knowing, bring back what we forgot. Just do your best and we'll do the rest, and learn till our brains all rot!