Harry Potter - Series Fan Fiction ❯ McGill ❯ Edicts and Surprises ( Chapter 17 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

CHAPTER SEVENTEEN: Edicts and Surprises

CHAPTER SEVENTEEN: Edicts and Surprises

October 6, 1991
McGillis House
Den
12:45 p.m.

Dayn opened the door and let the man in. Carmus sat up and smiled at the other man. Making him live a proper life had done so much for the werewolf.

"Mr. Lupin, you are looking well. Please come in, sit."

Dayn popped in with a tea tray and sat it on a side table.

Lupin crossed over to the chair and sat down, hand folded in his lap. He watched as Carmus prepared tea, nodding at the cream and sugar. He took the cup and saucer carefully and waited for Carmus to make his own before returning back to his desk. "Thank you; in your letter you said that you had some questions for me?"

"Yes, indeed. I am wondering how it is going with Mr. Black."

Remus nodded. "Actually, that therapist you suggest, Ms. Bern, has been working with him. Everyday from 4:30 to 6:00 every day. He's better. Not great but much better. He doesn't lose track of days like he did before. There have been fewer outbursts and most of his accidental magic is under control. He doesn't like the magic dampeners but we are now able to lower the settings.

"Good, that's excellent. The reason I'm asking is because I was wondering how Mr. Black would feel about spending his birthday with Harry." Carmus sipped at his cup.

The china rattled as Remus set his cup upon the saucer a bit more forcefully than expected. "Excuse me?"

"I asked if Mr. Black would be well enough to spend some time with Harry on his birthday. From what you are saying, he is trying hard. So let's reward him. I understand that he had a great trauma and it will take time for him to recover. Spending time with Harry will give him an incentive to try harder."

"Yes, that would be good."

"Excellent, now for the bad part. I will be inviting Draco and Dudley with Harry. Dudley because Harry insists on trying to help him. Draco because he is a blood relative of Sirius. It is time for him to bury that hatred he has of all that is Dark. His cousin is merely a child, an eleven year old and Harry likes him."

Remus nodded. "Plus it isn't good to have only one child around."

"Indeed, Harry would soon be bored. Now, I will get Harry there around 7:30 am but he must leave by 7:30 pm. This gives Sirius twelve hours."

"Thank you." Remus paused, "Why?"

"Why what, Mr. Lupin?"

"Why are you so interested in Harry's case?"

"It is not mere interest. My beloved Sean planned this out. He wanted me to rescue other children and I did but he knew that the shift of perception would be now and Harry would have a great deal to do with it. Therefore, he placed me where I would be able to help Harry become Harry rather than a sacrifice."

Carmus stood up laid one hand on a bookshelf; it warped and twisted until one book was pushed out. Carmus moved over to stand next to Remus and showed him the cover. 'Harry, Year Seven'. "In this book, Harry learns what his role is. He learns that he is meant to be a sacrifice. That he must allow Voldemort to kill him if he wishes to kill Voldemort. Once Voldemort kills him anyone could kill Voldemort but first he must die then come back. So he does, he resigns himself to his death and being a sacrifice as if it is a noble thing. As it if was and honorable thing. He then goes on to become an Auror and marry a red-headed witch. For the rest of his life, he thinks of himself as just like James Potter except for his eyes."

Remus shrinks back. "He's not James."

"No, he's not. However, he's told over and over and over and over 'You look exactly like your father, except you have your mother's eyes.' Nothing else. No one tells him anything else about his parents. He will have no idea about his father playing Quidditch someone points out that 'of course you're going to be good; it's in your blood.' No one tells him what his father did with his life for years, and of his mother all he will know is that she had red hair and green eyes. When he does something it's either shock because 'your father would never do that' or 'just like your father'. No one tells him stories about them. So why not sacrifice his life, if he dies maybe he can see them.

"He is taught to withstand pain, in fact he has been taught to expect it for nothing else is given. He is to be so craving of any shred of affection that he will suffer any cruelty, harm, pain given to him. He will throw himself upon shattered rocks and do his best to excel so that he can be given a pat on the head. He was taught that his life is not for living but rather held in abeyance until it can be used and if he should survive, so be it until next time he must be the sacrifice.

"If I seem more interested in Harry's case it is because no other child I have ever rescued has been the subject of such a pernicious and cruel abuse."

"I see… poor Harry. So now he can grow up and being himself and only himself."

"Exactly, he's hidden so no one can compare him to his father. No one to be sad that he's not EXACTLY like James. He can be Harry, just Harry. And that's why I wanted a report on Black. I don't want him to be expecting James reborn."

Remus nodded. "I understand and I'll make sure he does too."

"Thank you, Mr. Lupin."

Remus stood up and bowed before turning to head to the front door.

Carmus smiled; apparently he had impressed the werewolf for him to fall back on pureblood manners.

* * *

12 Grimmauld Place
London
2:15

Remus entered the front door of Grimmauld Place carrying a bag of supplies. Right now, he knew that Sirius would be in the library reading another week's worth of Daily Prophets. He was catching up, slowly but surely. Every day, he would be there with a notepad, taking notes trying to map the information into a sensible form.

Remus smiled and placed the bags on a side table before moving to the library. Opening the doors, he walked to the far end by the windows and sat down next to his lover.

Sirius was engrossed in his reading and note taking. Remus smiled and waited. Twenty minutes later, Sirius finished the section and sat back, eyes falling on his best friend, his mate.

"Remus. Why didn't you tell me?"

"About?"

"The Werewolf Edicts. We have to do something to get them gone."

"Ahhhh ummm, well… I went to visit McGill today. He had some good news."

"We will talk about this later, you can't stop me. So what's the good news?"

"McGill has asked me to prepare an informal birthday for you. On the tenth. He is willing to let Harry be with you from 7:30 in the morning to 7:30 in the evening."

Sirius stared at his mate for a moment before letting out a barking yelp and grabbed Remus, spinning him wildly. "Are… are you serious? No, I'm Sirius but are you for real?"

"Nope, I'm just a figment of your imagination; the real Remus should be home in a couple hours."

Sirius turned to face his lover, mouth gaping.

Remus chuckled and walked off. "Oi! So if that's the good news, what's the bad?"

"Well, McGill has also invited your cousin Narcissa and her family, as well as Dudley." Remus held up a hand. "Harry likes Draco and that's just how it is. Dudley is being introduced to magickal society. Now, Narcissa and Lucius will join us for dinner along with Severus. It is time you remember that you are a Black and family counts. It doesn't matter if they are Dark, Light, or Neutral. Family matters."

Sirius slumped. "But how could Harry like Malfoy's brat. They were Death Eaters!"

Remus frowned and stared at him with a flat glare. "Strange, I never knew Draco was a Death Eater, considering he wasn't even born during the war."

Sirius threw his mate a glare, "Yeah, well his parents were!"

"Of Narcissa we have no proof and well, your parents were down right Dark. Deep Dark, and while you profess your Light choice, you are more towards Neutral than anything. Just because his father may have been a Death Eater is no reason to treat him as if he was a Death Eater himself."

Sirius blushed and nodded. "You're right. He's family and if I want him to learn a different way then it's up to me, his most fabulous and incredibly awesome cousin."

Remus smiled gently, getting up to head into the kitchen, one hand brushing against Sirius' hair. "Good. Why don't you write Harry and see what he likes to eat, so we can make a special lunch for you and him."

Sirius barked a laugh and stood up. Remus turned back to getting lunch ready. Maybe Sirius wasn't back to normal, and likely he never would be but maybe, just maybe they could get him to something better than he was before he went to Azkaban. Maybe they could root out that self-loathing that had almost led to the death of classmate. Maybe…

* * *

Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry
Severus Snape's Quarters

3:15 p.m.

McGill stepped out of the fire, fingers twitching gently and causing the soot toh all from him. Turning his head slightly, he realized that Severus was still in class. In fact, he would have just started his NEWT Sixth Years. Moving across the room, Carmus stopped at his beloved's desk to leave a note and invitation. Exiting the room, he walked swiftly up from the dungeons and over to the stairway leading to the Headmaster's office. Taking the step two and three at a time, he stopped in front of the Gargoyle and waited. The stone beast stared at him, turning its head as if to get a new perspective, this way and then that. Finally, it stepped aside. Carmus nodded to it, placing on hand on a wing and with a murmured 'thank you' went up to the office.

Dumbledore sat in his plush chair, wearing a deep purple robe with neon green rings surrounding chartreuse planet and fuchsia stars. His eyes twinkled over his signature half moon glasses. There were no other chairs

"Ahh, Mr. McGill, what a surprise to see you today. What may I help you with?"

Carmus nodded and took a relaxed stance in front of the desk. "I came carrying a permission form from Lucius Malfoy for his son to attend a Family Gathering. Under Article 19, certain Family Gatherings being significant to the Health of the Family are considered reason to be excused from classes. One of which is the Birth Remembrance of the Head of the Family. As Draco Malfoy is a minor child and potential Heir to the Black Family through the distaff side, he's required to be there. My son will also attend, as will Dudley Dursley, and Harry of course."

Dumbledore sat smiling indulgently until the last three words hit his ears, then the benevolent twinkling turned to sharp as a knife edge glints. "I see."

"And may I ask why Simon will be going? As far as I know, he is not related in close to the Blacks?"

"Well, because I am and because his best friend is. Plus, with Harry joining us, it would be nice to have more than one other child for him to play with. Family Head Black is looking forward to spending time with his godson but I thought it better to have more than one child around. Plus it will give the Family Head some different people to talk to."

Dumbledore nodded, "I have heard that you have taken time from your busy schedule to help dear Sirius recover."

"Yes, Sire Black needs all the help he can get." Carmus let his eyes travel over the papers on the headmaster's desk. A few letters, some forms, one peculiar blue page. All he could see of the writer's name was Wie------ssi. Turning his attention back to the Headmaster, he dropped two letters on his desk.

"I shall retrieve both boys on Wednesday which is the ninth. They have herbology together that ends at three. They will be absent for the rest of Wednesday, and I will return them by Sunday night. I have already sent a missive to them to get their homework for the days they will miss."

"I see, however, I am not sure that I am comfortable with allowing students under my care to be alone with a man who recently suffered such a deep trauma as Sirius, and feel that…"

"Do you think I would risk my child so? I will be there and I have already arranged for another qualified wizard to be in attendance."

"I see… may I ask who? I understand that it might be construed as being a bit nosy but for the safety of the children, I am curious."

"Well, who better than Severus Snape of course."

Dumbledore eyes widened. "Truly, strange he had not mentioned it to me. Yet."

Carmus nodded, "True, however I do know he was invited and I was planning on him accompanying, though he has an invitation of his own."

"Truly, Sirius must have changed greatly to have invited someone he was at such odds with."

"Well, I believe he grew up."

Dumbledore nodded and looked up as a house-elf popped in. He handed it a letter and leaned back. He smiled at McGill for a few moments before offering him some sweets. Seeing the other man decline, he popped a lemon drop in his mouth and sucked on it contemplatively. "So you are trying to help put their disagreement to rest?"

Carmus smiled. "No, surprisingly, it came from the Head himself. I was surprised when the invitation came but it seems that his time in Azkaban had left him to think much of what choices he had made in life."

The door opened. Severus Snape strode across the room, his robes billowing. He stopped next to Carmus without looking at him. "You asked for my presence, Headmaster?"

"Yes," The Headmaster stared at the dark man, eyes focused intently. "I was recently informed that you have received an invitation to Head Black's Birth Celebrations."

"Indeed, I was debating whether or not to go, considering our… differences."

McGill turned to him, "Draco, Simon, Harry, and Dudley are going and I would be pleased to have another qualified adult there."

Snape turned to him, "And is this your doing?"

"No, surprisingly… when I spoke to Lupin about allowing Harry to join them for the day, he mentioned that Black has finally come to understand that what he did was not just wrong but evil. He committed no less than an attempt at murder. That no matter how Dark his family had been, he… who proclaimed himself saved from the Dark and one of the Light was willing to murder a fellow student. No matter how he felt about you then, he realizes that was beyond the pale. So this is his acknowledgment of that. That is why I don't want you to refuse the invitation. It is time to end this Severus.

"Also, it is his way of acknowledging what you did for Harry. For helping me save him from the Durselys. He knows he failed Harry but it was actually recognition of the fact that no matter how much you hated James, you were willing to set that aside and preserve Harry's life because he is not James. This led him to understand his own evil deed.

"And finally, it's time he understands what Dark and Light truly are and the best way for him to do that is to make friends on both sides of the divide. This could prompt understanding between the Dark and Light, so please reconsider.

"Not to mention, both Simon and Draco want you to go."

Severus stared at him and nodded. "Very well."

"Thank you, dear boy." The Headmaster smiled indulgently. "Could you stay a moment longer?"

McGill nodded and turned, smiling at his beloved. "I'll be here Wednesday, after three. I'll use my regular floo. The boys will be gone until Sunday."

Severus nodded once more and turned back to the Headmaster.

* * *

Number 12 Grimmauld Place
Library
8:15 p.m.

A rustle of thick paper as an invitation fluttered its way down the chimney and onto the table next to Sirius' chair. Sirius place is book on his lap and reached for the letter. Opening it, he stopped, mouth dropping open and then re-read the name on the invitation. A small croak came from his mouth.

"Siri?" Remus got up from the chair opposite his mate and reached for the invitation reply.

"It's from Sniv-Snape. He… accepted."

Remus grinned and sat back. "Good, glad to see you both growing up. By the way, have you sent the letter for Harry to McGill yet?"

"Yeah…"

* * *

Draco stared at his Mabon gift from Simon. It was a circle about a half meter wide cut into eight pie slices by walls. Each one was about three inches high. One of the pie slices had already been filled in. It held three small glass leaves of red, gold, and amber, either transfigured or bought, likely transfigured. The stems were wrapped together with a braided ribbons of red, yellow, black with a tag that read, "Will you celebrate with me?"

He wondered if Simon even knew what such a gift meant and more importantly who told him it was a good idea. He moved it carefully back to the box it came in and placed it under his bed. Sitting back up, he headed out of his bedroom and to the study room down the hall. Carefully, he took out his books, quills, ink, and set up for studying. It was quiet in the study room, only the sound of pages rustling and pens scratching. Suddenly the cloying scent of pansies assaulted Draco's nose as Pansy Parkinson sat down beside him.

"Draco, what are you doing?"

"What does it look like Parkinson, I'm studying." Draco tried not to roll his eyes as Parkinson reached towards his books to grab a slim clothbound book, it was odd in that its pages were glowing a soft red.

"Oh, how pretty. What's this book, Draco?"

Draco watched as she touched it and yelled. It caught the attention of everyone in the room, including the seventh year watching over the study hall. Draco looked up and sneered at her. "It's my book and I will trust you not to touch what is not yours again, Parkinson."

The black hair girl turned to face him, eyes wide with pain and mouth turned down in disapproval. "All you had to say was not to touch it, Drakey!"

"I shouldn't have it. It's not yours. Now do me a favor and leave, your perfume is turning my stomach. Rotten Mulch isn't an attractive scent.

Pansy stood up, chair screeching as she stormed out of the room. Draco glanced around, a sneer on his lips. The others went back to their studying while Draco picked up the books and opened it up.

Hey,

Did you get the letter from your dad? We're going to Sirius Black's birthday party. I don't know how dad is going to swing it. I can't be there as Harry Potter and Simon McGill, he said not to worry. Anyways, Mr. Black sent me a letter asking me a bunch of questions and what I like to eat. I'll copy it to you with that neat copy charm you showed me.

It's so strange, the whole Black situation I mean. I know because Dad told me that he was supposed to take care of me but… from everything people tell me about him, he may have been an adult but he wasn't grown up. Here he had a 15 month old baby to take care of and he runs off for days. He wasn't put in jail until at least 2 days after my parents were attacked but instead, it was more important to go after Pettigrew than protect me. I looked up a history book; they showed a picture of the house, it was in ruins. In his letter he tells me how important and loved I was and still am by him but…

Aurora says that he has 'a major case of arrested development'. In other words, he never grew up. I'm so angry with him. Aurora said it was okay to be angry at him. If it wasn't for him, I would never have been sent to the Dursleys! I might have met you earlier! I wouldn't be so short! I know the Dursleys are the one who hurt me but if it wasn't for his need to kill Pettigrew then I wouldn't have ever been there! Even if he hadn't been able to take care of me, there were others who could have. If he wanted to kill Pettigrew so bad, why didn't he place me with someone else?! Ever since dad told me that we were going, I keep thinking "What if? What if! WHAT IF!"

What if he had given me to someone in France, who didn't care about this whole light/dark crap?

What if I hadn't been starved for most of my life?

What if I had been raised as a pureblood?

What if I could have learned something about my parents other than what their names were?

What if I was raised with siblings?

What if?!!!!!

Sorry, not angry with you but I'm so damn angry about it all. Look, I'm going to go… do something else, maybe play chess with Ron. Talk to you later, oh and here's the letter.

Dear Harry,

I don't know how much anyone has told you about me. My name is Sirius Orion Black. I was your father James' best friend. I am your godfather. As for why you lived with your aunt rather than me is my fault. I was so angry at our friend, Pettigrew for betraying Lily, James, and you to the man trying to kill you that I ignored my duties as godfather and allowed another to take care of you. Pettigrew then framed me for his own death and I have been in prison for the past ten years. It has made me realize something. That as a godfather, I have been a most abject failure. My first duty was to make sure you were fine and safe. There is nothing I can do to ever make that up to you. I would however like to try to be a better godfather to you or at least be a friend.

Since I have been released from Azkaban, I have taken over as head of my family and as such my Birthday, if I so choose, is an Event. Traditionally, an Event is a legitimate reason for missing school. So I am inviting you to my Birthday Celebrations. I really would like for you to come, I can't wait to see you again.

Sincerely,

Sirius Black aka Padfoot

PS: What's your favorite foods? We can have them at the party!

Draco sat back, a frown marring his face before he packed his books up and headed towards his godfather's office.

* * *

Severus Snape opened his student record and touched a name. Seeing where the particular student was, he shook his head. He left his quarters and headed up towards Gryffindor Tower. As he stood in the corridor leading to the tower, he pulled out his wand and whispered a spell. The wand spun then stopped, its tip glowing gently. Snape took off in the direction the wand as pointing.

Up ahead he saw a small figure leaning against the cold grey stole sill and looking out on the grounds. Severus moved closer, quietly and wrapped his arm and robe around his godson. Simon stiffened then relaxed as the familiar scent of Severus' robe enfolded him. Silently, he held onto the boy before turning and gently walking Simon back to his quarters. Draco was on the couch before the fire, head on the arm, drowsing.

"You're back." Draco yawned and blinked sleepily.

"Yes, we are. Simon, can you tell me why you were breaking curfew?"

Simon sat on the cough, biting his lip. "I… I'm so… do I really have to go to Black's birthday party?"

Severus allowed one eyebrow to raise slowly. "Why shouldn't you go?"

"I…"

Draco moved so that he leaned against his godbrother and murmured sleepily in his ear. "Tell him. He's not Aurora but, he will help if he can."

Simon sighed. "I… I don't hate him but I'm furious with him. I don't know if I can be around him. I wish dad hadn't told him I was coming, he should have asked me before he did. Black's… if it wasn't for him, I probably would have had dad but if it wasn't for him, I wouldn't have needed dad! If he hadn't been a spoiled brat and did his damn duty as godfather rather than be a shite, I wouldn't have been left in the Dursley's care! Even if he didn't want to do the job he swore to do, he could have left me with someone who would have beat or starved me! Instead he runs off and gets himself thrown into jail! He's so fucking STUPID!"

Severus watched as Simon grew louder, his face reddening as he screamed out his anger at his original godfather. Slowly, he leaned forward and took Simon's hand. "You are right. Black is an idiot. He did fail as your godfather. He is the reason you were stuck in that life. You should be angry and you should yell at him when we see him. Let him understand how you feel.

"And Carmus really should have asked your permission before he promised your attendance. In his defense, he merely wants you to have a wider support network. He wants more people who love you in your life. Carmus is only human and he makes mistakes.

"Tomorrow we'll write a letter to Carmus.