Hikaru No Go Fan Fiction ❯ One Day Together ❯ A boy and his dreams ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

It was a cold, rainy day in Tokyo, the menacing clouds hovering overhead casting gray across the city. The patter of the rain falling against the window pane could be heard from inside the Japanese Go Institute. This light gray and rather unassuming building was the stage for the legendary battles of Go players from all across Japan. The sound of black and white stones clicking against the smooth surfaces of Kaya go boards cut through the silence of the playing hall. Shindou Hikaru, shodan, sat before a go board, playing a game with Masao Takemiya, 3-dan. As always, Shindou's expression was laser focused on the board and displayed how absorbed into his match he was. Masao Takemiya, a handsome young man of twenty two and resident of Tokyo, was equally engrossed in his duel with Shindou.
 
“I can't believe this guy is still a shodan, he's so good. I can still win, though. Even if Shindou tries to attack my shape in the upper right, I'll simply defend, then resume my attack on his position at the lower right…”
 
After a few minutes had passed, Shindou reached into his go ke, expertly moving the stone between his index and middle finger, and placed it on the board. The stone made a loud clicking sound, the very powerful and important moves always do. Masao's expression was one of surprise, and then one of frustration.
 
“He's…he's completely cut me off with that one move! I didn't think of this. If I don't connect, my entire group will be in danger. But if I let him extend, then I'll be short on territory and will not be able to fight for the center. Where did he come up with such a powerful move?” thought Masao, gritting his teeth and sweating.
 
After a few moments, Masao sighed deeply, and bowed.
 
“Arimasen.”
 
“Arigatoo gozaimashita.”
 
Masao calmly cleaned up his stones from the board, clearly saddened by his loss. Taking a deep breath, Shindou stood up and walked towards the white board to claim his win.
 
“That game he played with Ko Yongha during the North Star Cup…I guess he is as strong as they say he is,” whispered Masao to himself, cleaning up the stones.
 
Shindou walked towards the white board, and “win by resignation” above his name. Thoroughly satisfied with himself, he let out a slight sigh of relief as he walked into the elevator.
 
“Masao-san, you played a really exciting game. You attacked my outline early on, and didn't give me an inch. The world of the pro's just get more and more exciting,” thought Shindou.
 
Getting out of the elevator, Shindou saw Waya hanging out by the entrance waiting for him.
 
“Yo, Waya!” said Shindou waving his hand while walking over to his friend
 
“Osu, Shindou! How'd your match go, with Masao?” said Waya.
 
“I won, Masao resigned. How about yours with Kadowaki-san?”
 
“I managed to win by 3.5 moku. Kadowaki-san has become a lot stronger since the pro examination. It's no surprise he beat Ichiryuu-sensei in the Shin-shodan series. By the way, Shindou, I hear you'll become 2-dan fairly soon.”
 
“Yeah, I can't wait. I still won't be able to play the really high dan players like Touya does, but it's a step,” remarked Shindou, scratching the back of his head.
 
“Don't worry, you'll get your chance. Oto, we'd better hurry over to Morishita-sensei's for the study session,” remarked Waya, pointing to the clock on the wall near the two boys.
 
“Oh that's right, it isn't at the Ki-in today, it's at his house! We'd better hurry to sensei's, I don't want to be late and have to see his angry face,” nervously chuckled Shindou.
 
“I can't believe you forgot. Sensei said that a friend of his from the Kansai ki-in was going to take part in today's session.”
 
Shindou nodded and headed out of the institute with Waya. Both boys chatted about the news of the Go world, the North Star Cup, and about various mutual points of interest. While riding the train over to the study session, Shindou began to look out the window towards the bustling metropolis of Tokyo. His reflection, along with that of many other passengers, could be seen in the window. Waya was near, sitting and reading Weekly Go.
 
Shindou's thoughts turned to the North Star Cup, and his match with Ko Yongha. The young boy's vivid imagination seemed to transport him from the crammed city train to his match with the young Korean Pro. Shindou envisioned himself before a go board, his opponent, the red haired star of the Go world, Ko Yongha.
 
By half a moku, Ko Yong Ha wins.”
 
Those words cut through Shindou's heart like a serrated dagger. He felt as if he had let Sai down. After hearing Ko Yongha insult the greatest genius of Go for the past millennia and then insult Japan, Shindou wanted nothing more than to crush Ko Yongha and make him pay. He went over the game in his mind, poignantly remembering the complex strategy behind each move. The positioning of the board, with the simple black and white stones laid across the smooth surface, was crisp in Shindou's recollection.
 
(Ko Yongha reaches into his jar of stones, fluidly placing a stone between his fingers, and places it on the board. The stone creates a reverberating clicking noise that echoes throughout the tournament room. Ko Yongha's fingers picked up five of Shindou's stones he had just captured. The sound of the stones clinking onto the surface of the go container lid cuts through the tense atmosphere. In an instant Shindou reaches for one of his stones, and places it onto the board, capturing eight of Ko Yongha's stones. Placing the stones onto the lid of his go stone container, Shindou's gaze met Ko Yongha's, as the battle between the two go geniuses raged on.)
 
“That half a moku was all that stood between defeat and getting vengeance for Sai. The opportunity was dangled in front of me, but I just couldn't…,” thought Shindou, balling up his fist. He was awakened from his daydreaming by Waya.
 
“What are you doing Shindou, we're here! You're head is off in the clouds again,” said Waya, snapping Shindou back into the real world. Waya knew his friend was prone to losing himself in some inner world, but since the North Star Cup it seemed that he was off in the furthest reaches of outer space. Waya simply smiled, nudging Shindou gently and offering a big trademark smile.
 
“Let's hurry Shindou so we're not late.”
 
“Sure.”
 
Getting of the train, the boys walked side by side down the street towards the home of Morishita 9-dan. Shindou looked upwards towards the sky, which was now clear and sunny after the rain. He could make out a lone bird flying across the breadth of the sky, its wings perfectly swept out. Waya kept quiet, knowing that his friend probably needed some thinking time before the study session.
 
“Well there he goes again, off into space. Can't blame him really. His game with Ko Yong Ha will probably be the point of discussion for today's study session. Kind of makes me wish I was able to qualify…” Waya simply sighed to himself, a slight frown forming on the edges of his lips. Friendship was friendship, but just once Waya wanted to be in the spotlight, especially for something that he spent his entire life working towards. Pondering such things just sunk Waya into depressive funks, and now definitely wouldn't be a good time.
 
After a few minutes of walking the boys made it to Morishita sensei's home. His house was rather unassuming, but noticeably traditional Japanese. Ringing the doorbell Waya looked around to see if he saw Saeki-san's car. Saiko Morishita soon answered the door.
 
“Ara, please come in.”
 
“Ojama shimasu,” simultaneously resounded the two young go players.
 
Waya and Shindou bowed, walking into the house, taking off their shoes and putting them away. Saiko Morishita led them into the living room where Morishita sensei, Saeki, Tsuzuki, and a few other pros were gathered.
 
“Ah, Waya, Shindou, you've finally arrived. Everyone is here now. I'd like you two to meet Ken Takahisa, a friend of mine. He's come a long way and will be my guest for a few days. He was especially interested in seeing your match with Ko Yongha Shindou.” remarked Morishita-sensei in his characteristic loud voice, pointing his fan. Takahisa was an older gentleman with thin rimmed glasses and a crop of silver hair. Looking up and adjusting his frames, he spoke up with a slender voice that reminded Shindou of Shinoda sensei.
 
“So you must be Shindou-kun, the one I've heard so much about. I knew one of Shigeo's students was in an international tournament and I now can put a name to a face.”
 
“Shindou, good job at the North Star Cup,” said Saeki in his usual smooth manner.
 
“Thanks.”
 
“Let's get things started, Shindou, replay the game,” ordered Morishita.
 
Shindou simply nodded and made his way to the go board, the others huddling around. The game was replayed, Hikaru's nimble fingers placing the stones at an even pace, not rushing things. After a few minutes, the splendor of the battle between the two young go titans was laid out for all to see.
 
“Even though you lost Shindou, it was only half a moku. There's no difference between you and that arrogant Ko Yongha,” said Saeki.
 
“Shindou, your positioning here at the upper left is quite interesting,” remarked Tsudzuki, studying the board carefully.
 
“This is a true sign of talent, Shindou. Now everyone will know what my students are capable of,” replied Morishita, tapping his fan against his knee.
 
“The only mistake I see so far, is that I didn't profit enough from the battle on the right side,” said Shindou.
 
“But you still have a chance Shindou. It's extremely close at this point,” said Waya, pointing his finger at the positioning of the stones on the lower right part of the go board.
 
Shindou stared down at the game, at the very familiar go board. Even though the stones themselves were inanimate, the board revealed a battle of pure will. Every white and black stone was placed as an integral part of a greater design, a greater purpose. A celestial battle had unfolded before Shindou's eyes, and he was recreating it with every stone he placed on the board. It was at times like this he remembered the magic of when he first started to play, and his first tournament. His skill level was far better than it was two years ago, but the feeling of creating the universe was still there. Shindou was amazed at the universe he and Ko Yongha had created during their battle.
 
“Well Shindou, I must congratulate you on your play. You and Waya have been progressing rapidly these past few weeks, and I expect more good things to come,” said Morishita.
-------------------------------------
 
After the study session Shindou returned home rather tired. The train ride home wasn't eventful, but he was the type of person who gets plagued by nagging thoughts if something was bothering him. Entering his house and taking off his shoes at the entryway, his mother called out from the kitchen. He was hoping she didn't have any nagging complaints; he simply wasn't in the mood for it.
 
“Hikaru, did you eat any dinner?”
 
“Yeah mom, I had some ramen on the way back home.”
 
“How did your match go today?”
 
“I won mom, by resignation. My opponent was pretty good I'd have to admit.”
 
Shindou tried to play up his strength to his mother, who was for all intensive purpose was unknowledgeable about the Go world. She was usually very encouraging of her son in whatever pursuits he chose, but truthfully the enormity of Shindou's accomplishments was pretty much lost on her.
 
“I'm going to study a bit and get some sleep for tomorrow. Night mom!”
 
“Good night Hikaru dear.”
 
His mom peeked out from the kitchen and watched him climb upstairs to his room. She was proud of her son, now that he finally became serious about something and worked toward a goal. It was really the only thing she wanted in the first place.
 
Shindou set his bag down and knelt down at his go board to replay games featured in Weekly Go. The breeze coming in through the window gave the air a good shock of coolness, keeping the boy's skin on edge. Choosing a recent game between two up and coming 9 dans, he began his study. There was something amiss this evening however, that made him not able to truly focus in on the complexity of the board. Placing a stone on the go ban, Shindou found couldn't lift his finger from the stone.
 
“It feels so empty.”
 
His digits quivering slightly, Shindou was barely able to hold back what had been bothering him deep inside the entire day.
 
“Why can't you be here at a time like this?”
 
His eyes watering, Shindou tried to wipe his tears with his sleeve, but soon more came flooding out. A feeling of helplessness overtook the boy, the one emotion he loathed. The situation seemed too much for him to bear, and he needed one and only one person to be present to help him. Sadly that would never happen.
 
“I thought I was able to get past this. It's been so long since he's disappeared, I at least felt that I understood why, but…now…”
 
Cleaning up the game and placing his go board away, Shindou tried to wipe the last of his tears and hopefully get some shut eye. Sleep was usually his last respite when his emotions ran high, it allowed him to relax and hopefully get his mind together. Staring out the window while laying on his back trying to drift into slumber, Shindou looked at the wide expanse of stars. It was hard to make out many of them due to the interference from the numerous artificial lights of Tokyo, but the truly bright ones let their radiance shine through. Shindou wondered whether Sai was one of those stars glittering in the heavens, his soul in eternal respite asleep within the twilight. A kid's fantasy perhaps, but Shindou went to sleep and dreamed a child's dreams.