Hikaru No Go Fan Fiction ❯ One Day Together ❯ A challenger arises ( Chapter 8 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

shindou and Sai both walked out of the computer café, triumphant looks on their faces. Sai's mind was still abuzz from the game, the excitement of playing someone of Seiji Ogata's caliber left him with a feeling of pure exhilaration. Shindou was proud of his mentor and teacher. Just then, the young boy could hear his own stomach growling, and knew it was time to grab a bite to eat.
 
“Hmm, I want some ramen, I'm famished. I don't think I want to wait until I get home though…” thought Shindou as he made his way to a nearby ramen restaurant. It was a rather warm night, a light breeze flowing through the air. The night lights of Tokyo were bright and colorful, illuminating the sky above.
 
“Sai you were amazing back there. For a second I thought Ogata sensei was winning but then you turned everything around.”
 
“Ogata-san is a go player of Touya Koyou's caliber Hikaru, of course he would be a challenge. Thankfully I was able to see through his plan early on, or I might have lost the game.”
 
“But Sai, somehow…you seemed…”
 
“I seemed?”
 
“You seemed stronger than when you played Touya sensei. It was a real difference in power. How did you get stronger?”
 
Sai simply smiled, walking alongside Hikaru in silence. The young boy was thoroughly confused at his mentors lack of a response. They both soon found an open ramen shop, and entered.
 
“Irasshai!” yelled out one of the chefs.
 
Shindou soon sat down and ordered, picking out a pair of chopsticks from a nearby container and was ready to chow down on a bowl of delicious noodles and vegetables. Across the store from him was a small group of three men that he could have sworn he'd seen somewhere before.
 
“Sai, I know those men, from somewhere? Do you happen to remember?”
 
“Not at all Hikaru,” said Sai, holding his fan to his mouth and looking on with his adorable child like visage.
 
While eating his noodles, Shindou decided to do a little eavesdropping.
 
“Man Japan was sure close in the North Star Cup. I wanted our country to take top prize so the Koreans wouldn't have any more bragging rights,” said one of the men as he started to slurp down some noodles.
 
“There's little we can do now Takemura-san, the tournament is over. It's not like Japan did horribly, they did defeat the Chinese team, it's just that the Korean's in the end were too strong.”
 
“That's right, and besides we even gave them a run for their money. I heard that Ko Yong Ha kid couldn't believe how close he came to losing,” said the third man, gesturing with his chopsticks.
 
“Hikaru, North Star Cup? What is that?” asked Sai.
 
“I'm actually very disappointed you weren't able to be there. It was a tournament for all the top young players in China, Japan, and Korea. The Japanese team was myself, Touya, and a kid from the Kansai Ki-in named Yashiro. Yashiro is an awesome player. I'll have to show you the game he and I played before you have to go.”
 
Upon saying those words Shindou felt depression sinking back in. Despite the joy of seeing his mentor one more time, it really was all bittersweet. Could he really take having to leave Sai one more time, when the first time was so painful? Sai felt much the same way, but had quietly accepted why he couldn't stay with Hikaru forever.
 
“Well at the very least it'll increase our sales for weekly go.”
 
“That's it!” said Shindou tapping his fist into his open palm. “They're reporters for Weekly Go, they work with Amano san,” he thought, finally figuring out who the men were.
 
“Speaking of that Ko Yong Ha kid, I heard that he's still here in Japan while the other two Korean kids have already headed back home.”
 
“Why would he stay in Japan? He's got a very busy match schedule at home I'm sure.”
 
“Who knows,” shrugged one of the reporters, taking a slurp of noodles.
 
“Ko yong ha?” asked Sai.
 
“The Korean First Board, I played him during the North Star Cup. I ended up losing, but only by half a moku. Still…” said Hikaru pounding a fist into the table. He was still mad at the whole incident where Ko Yong Ha insulted Shuusaku. Hikaru couldn't swallow not getting his revenge when the chance presented itself.
 
“Don't worry about it Hikaru, be sure to show me that game as well. It seems you've been progressing quite rapidly since I left.”
 
“Yeah I guess I have. Still, there's a long road ahead.”
 
Sai simply smiled warmly as Shindou slurped down the last bit of broth from his bowl and exited the ramen store.
 
“Well Sai, you didn't answer my question from earlier. How did you get stronger? I noticed it when you were playing Ogata-sensei. I guess I can tell since I played you everyday.”
 
“Well Hikaru, I had the best teacher one could possibly hope for.”
 
“You? Have a teacher? Who could possibly teach you?”
 
Sai looked wistfully upwards at the twinkling night sky.
 
“Kami-sama, Hikaru.”
 
The young boy's eyes widened in wonderment as he looked up at his master. God taught Sai during the afterlife?
 
“Kami…sama…” said Hikaru in awe.
 
“Yes, God played me as much as possible during my stay in the afterlife. There is no fiercer Go player, let me tell you Hikaru. But during that time I learned to look at the game from an entirely new dimension. I guess you could see that from my game with Ogata sensei.”
 
“Now that's just impressive,” thought Shindou. It made the young boy really consider the implications of the situation. Was Go really that deep of a game, where even after a 1,000 years of study you can still learn the game as if you had just started? Shindou pondered such things as he and Sai made there way back to his house. Much to his surprise, his mother was waiting at the door.
 
“Mom, what's up?” asked the blonde haired boy.
 
“Oh Hikaru, you're finally home. A young man came by just forty five minutes or so ago looking for you.”
 
“Huh?”
 
“His name is Ko Yong Ha and he left this note for you,” said Shindou's mother handing him an envelope.
 
Shindou could hardly believe what his ears had heard. Quickly opening up the envelope and taking out the piece of paper inside, it read:
 
 
 
Shindou Hikaru,
 
Please meet me this evening at 10:30 at the Tsuitachi hotel lobby. I will be waiting for you. I want a rematch. The game at the North Star Cup was not enough, I must prove above all doubt who is truly the better go player. I will see you then.
 
Regards,
Ko Yong Ha (고용하)
 
“You've got to be joking me…” thought Shindou, thoroughly surprised that Ko Yong Ha would go through all the trouble of tracking down where he lived.
 
“How do you know that boy Hikaru? Is he another go player?” asked his mother.
 
“Sorry mom I've got to run out, I won't be back until very late!” said Shindou running off.
 
“Wait, Hikaru, wait! Where are you going?” yelled out his mom, but her son had already sped off out of earshot.
 
Sai and his protégé quickly made their way to the train station, which was thankfully still running.
 
“Challenging me all of a sudden to a match, what is that guy thinking?”
 
“Well Hikaru from what you told me earlier he seemed to be quite an arrogant young man. He may want to try and crush you as opposed to just barely winning. But why is there such a tension between the two of you?” asked Sai, who was puzzled a bit by Shindou's behavior.
 
“Because he insulted you, Sai. He insulted Shuusaku. When I heard that he said there was nothing to learn by studying your games, I became so furious that I had to take him down. I never forgave myself for not being able to do it…” said Shindou, frantically waiting for the next train to come. Once it did, he immediately hopped on.
 
“Hikaru…” said Sai, holding the fan to his mouth and gazing at the ferocity showing itself in Shindou's eyes.
 
“One more chance, one more chance to make things right,” thought Shindou. He could barely wait for the train to make its stop. Bolting from the train, Shindou practically flew down the road towards the hotel where Ko Yong Ha was waiting. After about 10 minutes of running, Shindou stood in front of the hotel, catching his breath as he was not used to so much running. Looking up at the high rise building, the young go warrior steeled himself with newfound resolve. Shindou slowly turned to Sai, his eyes crystal clear.
 
“Sai, I want you to play,” he said in the most serious tone Sai has ever heard.