InuYasha Fan Fiction / Crossover With Non-anime Series Fan Fiction ❯ That Disease Called Love ❯ I'm Sorry? ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Hi again guys!! I was soo happy when I read your responses!! I loved `em!
 
They actually helped me write around 2,000 words of this chapter, yanking me out of writers block! It was amazing!!
 
And sorry for the long wait, I hope this chappy makes up for it!!
 
Well, that's all for now… read on, review please!! And ENJOY!!! XP
 
-0—0—0—0—0—0—0—0 212;0—0—0—0—0—0—0—0—0— ;0—0—0—0—0—0—0—0—0—0& #8212;0—0-
 
Disclaimer- I do not, and never ever will, own Inuyasha or House M D. even though I wish every waking day I did.
 
-0—0—0—0—0—0—0—0 212;0—0—0—0—0—0—0—0—0— ;0—0—0—0—0—0—0—0—0—0& #8212;0—0-
 
Attention: I'm an avid fan of House, but I so do not know any freakin' medical name to any disease on that show, so be easy on me when it comes to this. I'm not an expert on med school either so go easy on me and go with the flow. Please and thank you!! :)
 
-0—0—0—0—0—0—0—0 212;0—0—0—0—0—0—0—0—0— ;0—0—0—0—0—0—0—0—0—0& #8212;0—0-
 
--That Disease Called Love—
 
-0—0—0—0—0—0—0—0 212;0—0—0—0—0—0—0—0—0— ;0—0—0—0—0—0—0—0—0—0& #8212;0—0-
 
Last time;
 
But back to the hole he dug himself into… getting up with a grunt he limped over to the back door and left the office.
 
It was time to pay his good friend Wilson a visit… he needed advice and he hasn't pestered his best friend in a while…
 
-0—0—0—0—0—0—0—0 212;0—0—0—0—0—0—0—0—0— ;0—0—0—0—0—0—0—0—0—0& #8212;0—0
 
-- I'm Sorry?--
 
This Time;
 
House walked into his best friend's office without bothering to knock, causing Wilson's head to shoot up and pause in mid-sentence while he was talking to a patient on the phone.
 
Making his way to the couch by the back door, House used his cane to press down on the phone, hanging the phone up.
 
Dropping to the couch with a `thump' he looked up at the Oncologist.
 
Slowly looking from the phone to House, Wilson let out an exasperated sigh and put the receiver back in place. “You could have been the least bit polite and let me tell them I'll call back you know.” He reminded House furtively.
 
House only shrugged and leaned back lazily. “I wouldn't be me if I did that.”
 
Wilson closed his eyes in a useless attempt to calm down. “Of course.” He reached over to grab his coffee. “Are you hiding from Cuddy or did you want something?”
 
House looked away. “Yea, I wanted to talk. Did you know Kagome came back today?”
 
Wilson choked and spit out the coffee he was currently drinking back into his cup. Wiping his mouth he gaped at House. “Kagome? Kagome Higurashi? The petite Japanese doctor that disappeared five years ago… is back?!”
 
House shot him a deadpan stare and rolled his eyes. “Noo, the other Kagome Higurashi, you know, busty blond with green eyes... she's from Sweden if you can't remember…”
 
Wilson ignored the comment and leaned back in his chair, chuckling to himself in wonder. “Well, well, isn't that a surprise.” He sat up suddenly and threw a quick look at House. “Did you already talk to her?”
 
House snorted giving him a flat look. “Yeah, and I either made her pissed or sad already.”
 
Wilson only rolled his eyes. “Don't you always?”
 
House thought about it for a second, and relented with a unashamed nod. “Well yeah, but not like this. This time I hit a sore spot or something, I think she had a bad relationship and it took a toll on her self-confidence.”
 
Wilson raised an eyebrow. “Becoming a therapist now are you?” His voice was filled with amusement.
 
House gave him a mocking face. “No, that's you're job…” He looked at Wilson curiously. “How did you get your wives' to stop being mad?”
 
Wilson grinned, rubbing his hands together. “Oh ho, you wanna know how the master says sorry. “
 
House's narrowed his eyes. “No, just how the manipulator tricks his women into being happy again,” he retorted, not missing a beat.
 
Wilson glared but let it go soon after. “I usually buy them something expensive or take them out for the night. Or give a night of great sex.” He chuckled when House rolled his eyes in obvious exasperation. “But you're not even dating her so the sex is out. So buy something expensive or take her out for the night is all I have for you…” he shrugged.
 
“I can't get her an expensive gift either, she's not exactly the type to accept it…” House groaned and leaned back into the couch, looking up at the ceiling. “You're no help…” he told him bluntly.
 
Wilson snorted. “Well either be a man and say you're sorry-“
 
House only scoffed, giving him a dry look. “Ha! Like you're so manly yourself.”
 
Wilson's eye twitched but he continued on as if nothing happened. “Or take her out.”
 
House sighed in mock frustration. “I guess I'm going out with her then...” he murmured thoughtfully.
 
It didn't seem like such a horrible idea…
 
But would she accept?
 
A thought came to Wilson. “Why are you even bothering? You've never done this for anybody…” Wilson smirked wryly when House tensed, his ice blue eyes moving to peer out to the corner as he looked away. “I know she's a pretty smoking hot doctor,”
 
“And her exotic Asian features are a total turn-on” House added without a thought, cocking his head slightly.
 
Wilson snorted, but nodded. “Yea that too, but what makes her so different.” Wilson's smirk turned sly. “Awh House has a little crush… that's so cute,” he cooed.
 
House gave him a brutal glare, but didn't make a move to deny it.
 
Realizing this, Wilson gaped. He looked around, as if checking to see if it's safe to speak. “Still?! I thought you got over her years ago!” he whispered roughly.
 
House stared at him as if he was crazy. “Why are you whispering?” his tone was blunt.
 
Wilson blinked and straightened up, clearing his throat. “J-just answer the question…” he mumbled
 
House scoffed. “Whatever… she's interesting…” he trailed off, obviously not wanting to go further in this particular conversation.
 
“And?” Wilson prompted, grinning
 
House gave him a withering look. “Don't push it.”
 
Wilson chuckled, and held up his hand in a surrendering gesture. “Ok, ok.”
 
With a grunt House pushed himself up. “I guess I have to go make nice with her now before she changes her mind and decides to be angry and threaten to cut my balls off... wouldn't be the first time…” he mumbled.
 
Wilson snickered and made a shooing away gesture. “Then what are you waiting for? Go make your girl happy!”
 
House growled and tossed a glare over his shoulder. “Oh shut up.” And he shut the door behind him not so gently.
 
As he made his way to the elevator he scowled…
 
He just knew heard Wilson snicker at him before he slammed that damn door…
 
--o--o--o--o--
 
Kagome walked numbly through the bustling halls of the hospital, only slightly aware that she was supposed to be returning to her car to continue carrying the rest of her stuff back to her office.
 
Somehow in her aimless daze, she managed to make it to her car though. Rummaging through her pockets, she pulled out the keys and pressed the button to unlock the trunk.
 
Slowly, her feet slightly dragging, she walked to the end of her car, propping the trunk open. She reached in and took out another box, this time filled with various medical books.
 
Grunting slightly, she maneuvered the box in her hands so that she could close the trunk back up and locked the car as she made her way back into the Hospital, glad for the silence within the parking garage.
 
She only managed to get to the door when a voice scared the living shit out of her, making her release the box immediately so she could spin around and drop into a defensive stance.
 
“Kagome.”
 
Her narrowed eyes widened marginally as the locked on with equally wide eyes.
 
House was staring at her in veiled surprise, and not so veiled interest. “Gonna to use some kung fu on me now?” he said in his usual sarcastic drawl. He continued on. “Not really fair game ya know…” and he held up his cane with a smirk.
 
Seeing him acting as if he did nothing wrong was like a shock of realization to Kagome, and her mood did a 180.
 
Her sapphire eyes flashed hotly, but she reigned in her temper, only giving him a cutting remark. “Har har, you're hilarious.” She said mockingly, turning around to pick up the box she previously dropped.
 
“Thanks, I try.” House tilted his head as he appraised Kagome's butt, a slight smirk on his face.
 
An irritated sound escaped from Kagome's throat. “How about not trying at all? And you can stop staring at my ass, thanks very much.” She didn't even need to turn around to know what he was doing.
 
His smirk grew. “It's no Cuddy, but it's nice, I'll give ya that.”
 
The comment hit a sore spot, not only because he was comparing her to someone else he thought was better, but the fact that it was Cuddy he was talking about.
 
It got Kagome`s hands to shoot out and clamp on the box and straighten up stiffly. She was done being hurt today, right now she was livid. “Then why don't you go screw with her already. Better yet, why don't you just screw her instead.”
 
She stalked off, slamming into the door to open it and continuing on towards the elevator.
 
House blinked, and muttered some curses as he hurriedly limped after her, trying to catch up. “We need to talk.” He protested, his voice reverting to a slight whiny tone.
 
Kagome's pace didn't falter, and House could hear an indigent snort coming from her. “Yea, well I'm not in the mood to hear how I don't compare to other women right now. Why don't you try tomorrow? Maybe the urge to throttle you will simmer down a bit.”
 
House only scoffed. “You say that all the time… you never mean it.”
 
Kagome let out a short laugh. “Don't I? And I do not say that all the time. I just got back today or are you getting so old that your memory is failing?”
 
House rolled his eyes. “Now who's being the funny guy?”
 
“… Screw you…”
 
House smirked smugly despite the fact he was breathing heavily.
 
Kagome scowled. “If I were you I'd wipe that smirk off your face before I decide to smack it off you.”
 
The corner of House's mouth twitched. “How would you know if I'm smirking? I didn't know you had eyes in the back of your head…” he said with mock skepticism.
 
Although Kagome's voice was soft, he could still hear it. “There's a lot you don't know about me House. So much that you don't even know the half of it…”
 
House paused to stare at her critically, wondering what she meant. For now, he went back to topic. “I'm serious about that talk,” he called out to her.
 
“Yea, and I'm serious about I'm not in the mood House. “ Finally she reached the elevators and she pressed the `up' button roughly, tapping her foot impatiently as she waited for it to open.
 
Kagome almost let out a groan when she heard the clomping of House's shoes, and the little click of his crane as it hit the tile floor.
 
When the doors finally opened she slipped in and swiftly pushed the button to the Diagnostics floor and prayed to Kami he wouldn't get there in time, looking anywhere but at House who she knew was most likely glaring at her.
 
She let out a tiny relieved sigh when the doors finally started to close and relaxed.
 
And then stiffened when a cane was shoved through the elevator at the last second, resulting in the elevator door's to spread apart once again, allowing a now smug smirking, amused blue eyed doctor to step in.
 
“You act like you don't even want to talk to me. And after not seeing each other in five years. That hurts sweetheart,” he said with mock hurt.
 
Kagome gave him a sugary sweet smile. “Good thing we're in a hospital then.” She pushed the button again, and stared at the doors reproachfully. “And don't call me sweetheart,” she added for good measure, her face twisting at the pet name.
 
House shook his head at her, frowning thoughtfully as he tried to figure out how to put this. He decided the blunt way would work, “Let's go out tonight.”
 
Kagome almost dropped the box again. Her head snapped to look at him. “Wha-what?!” she stuttered in shock.
 
“Let's. Go. Out. To-night.” He said slowly.
 
“I'm not a retard.” She snapped at him, before looking away.
 
House grinned cheekily. “Well?”
 
Kagome's eyes were marginally wide and she was happy she wasn't looking at the doctor…
 
A date?!
 
Oh gods how she just wanted to just drop everything, turn around, jump him and yell `yes!'.
 
The doors opened to her floor, and she stepped out without a word.
 
She paused in front of the elevator, blocking House from getting out. When they were about to close, she spoke. “No thanks, I'll pass.” Her voice held nothing to betray her, it was neutral and firm.
 
House blinked in shock, not expecting her to actually turn him down.
 
All that was heard before the elevator doors closed was a small murmur.
 
“Kagome…”
 
--o--o--o--o--
 
House just stared at the elevator doors as they lowered back down to the lobby, before his eyes finally narrowed in frustration.
 
A loud `bang' echoed in the small compartment, and House breathed heavily as his left hand slid down from the side wall of the elevator.
 
His other hand was clenching his cane, knuckles white as the cane shook from the pressure.
 
House glared at the floor as the wheels in his head turned around and around, and before long a slow smirk spread out on his face.
 
One way or another, he'll get what he wanted. He wasn't going to give up.
 
Kagome Higurashi was going to agree going on a date with him, he was sure of that.
 
… even if it meant he had to annoy the living hell out of the woman.
 
Leaning over, he extended his cane to press the button for the `Diagnostics' floor.
 
He needed some alone time in his office to plot a little.
 
--o--o--o--o--
 
A light whisper floated in the air.
 
“I'm so sorry House…”
 
Kagome stood there in the same place, stiff and immobile as she stared out in a daze, her sapphire eyes dull as she bit her lip lightly.
 
She couldn't believe she said no…
 
Wasn't that what she wanted?!
 
Wasn't this what she'd been waiting for, for years?!
 
But she couldn't however. Not this soon, it was just too early.
 
She'd only just been reunited with the man today! And then there was Cuddy…
 
Cuddy
 
Her eyes suddenly turned cold.
 
Going out with House would be the worst thing to do if she wanted to win their `little deal'.
 
It could screw up everything she just started.
 
No, she knew them having a romantic relationship, if that was what the date led to, wouldn't compromise their work at the hospital.
 
But she was sure as hell that Cuddy wouldn't see it the same way.
 
Closing her eyes in a feeble attempt to shove the stress of today away and calm down, Kagome straightened and took a deep breath, shuffling the box in her hands in a more comfortable position.
 
She made her way to her office; mentally preparing herself for the onslaught she just knew was going to come later on, whether today or tomorrow.
 
She had a sinking feeling that she didn't hear the last of House just yet.
 
If she remember correctly-and she knew she did- he didn't give up until he got what he wanted, be it by whining, tricks, or blackmailing…
 
Hopefully she'd get some peace before anything happened…
 
--o--o--o--o--
 
She must have done something terrible in a past life, because she had the worst luck today.
 
She didn't even make it to her office without being interrupted…
 
And it wasn't even by who she'd thought it would be either…
 
She blinked as she remembered Kikyo, and half grinned and half scowled at the irony.
 
“Dr. Higurashi?!” a mock shocked and playful voice said before she could even touch the doorknob to her office.
 
Despite everything, she smiled before putting on a hurt face and turning to face the person who called out her name. “Wilson, after everything we've been through I can't believe that you'd call me `Dr. Higurashi' after not seeing each other for so long. I thought we were better friends than that.” She sniffled a little, but pouted.
 
Wilson let out a short, but deep laugh. “Still the same I see.”
 
The hurt face was replaced by a suspicious one. “I don't know whether to take that as a comment or an insult.”
 
Wilson only grinned.
 
Kagome rolled her eyes. “So what do I owe the pleasure of your presence?” A little smirk played on her lips.
 
Wilson's eyes sparkled in mirth. “Ah, all in due time, but first, let me help you. A gentleman should never let a lovely woman carry such a heavy load.” He gently tugged the box out of her hands, and waited patiently for her to open the door.
 
Kagome snorted as she turned the knob and led her good friend in. “You haven't changed either you know. Maybe grown a few grays, but that's all.” Her voice was light and teasing.
 
But Wilson didn't look affronted at all. “It has been years since we last seen each other. I had to take care of House all by my lonesome; he's a handful you know. I'd be worried if I didn't get any gray hairs.” He joked, setting the box down next to another one, before taking a spot on the couch.
 
Kagome snickered at that, making a beeline to her chair. “I almost feel bad for you.” Then she remembered earlier and took on a more solemn look soon after.
 
Wilson wasn't blind to it and he sighed in what Kagome suspected disappointment. “House didn't come by to see you yet?”
 
Kagome's eyes blinked at him in slight confusion before they rolled in their sockets. “House told you already.” she said deadpanned.
 
Wilson gave her a sheepish nod. “Want to talk about it?” he asked seriously.
 
Kagome shrugged, but shook her head. “What's there to talk about? He made me mad as usual.”
 
Wilson looked at her expectantly. “But that's not all…” he trailed off. “If it was like usual he wouldn't ask for advice.”
 
Kagome had to choke on that, “E-excuse me?! He asked for advice?
 
She was blinking owlishly, suddenly speechless. Her mouth opened and closed repeatedly, but no words could be formed.
 
Wilson nodded in solemn understanding at her sudden lack of speech, but a trickle of amusement leaked into his brown eyes.
 
Kagome realized something however.
 
“Wait… you're the one who gave him the idea to ask me out?!”
 
Seeing her stricken face made him hesitate. “…yes…?”
 
--o--o--o--o--o
 
A few seconds later, outside of an office reserved for the newly returned doctor none other than Kagome Higurashi, doctors, nurses, and patients alike paused slightly at the feminine shout that escaped from the room.
 
“James Evan Wilson!”
 
……………
 
“… Ow! Ka-gome!!”
 
The following yelp had the senior doctors and nurses smiling and shaking their heads as they let out some chuckles and giggles while the rest of them stared at the office door with confusion and slight apprehension.
 
It was good to have the bright and spirited doctor back.
 
--o--o--o--o--
 
Kagome glared half-heartedly at the man sitting on her couch, favoring his right arm as he eyed her clenched fist with caution.
 
She had to keep down a snicker at his fearful face.
 
Seeing the glare lessen Wilson chanced a comment and a question. “So House did come by to see you… what happened?”
 
Kagome looked away, staring at the wall as she pushed all her emotions back and gave her answer. “I turned him down.” She said simply.
 
No use beating around the bush.
 
Wilson sucked in a deep breath, his wide brown eyes alarmed. “What?! Why?!” he demanded automatically.
 
Kagome let out a tired sigh. “James.” She said with complete seriousness. “It's been five years. Things have changed since the last time we saw each other. We just can't pick up where we left off… hell this isn't where we even left off.”
 
It was like she was trying to convince herself as well.
 
Wilson shook his head readily, not believing it. “You can't mean that. I've seen the way you looked at him back then. You loved him.”
 
Kagome's eyes shut closed, jaw tensed. “Yea... I loved him. Past tense.” She retorted curtly.
 
There was a small silence for a few seconds.
 
“You're not… you're not married are you?!” Wilson blurted out, staring at her like crazy.
 
Kagome shot him an astonished look. “What? No! I'm not!”
 
He tried again. “Engaged.”
 
Kagome twitched and held up her left hand to show him.
 
No ring.
 
“Boyfriend? Besides, not having an engagement ring doesn't mean you're not engaged. Or married. Is there something you need to tell me?” Wilson wore a cheeky smile.
 
Kagome let out a groaned and plopped her head on her desk with a thud. “Why did I even come back again?” she asked no one, her voice exasperated.
 
Wilson decided to take another tactic. “He missed you, you know…”
 
Kagome picked up her head and smiled gently. Softly, she spoke. “I know, he told me that when we first saw each other.”
 
Wilson's brown eyes blinked slightly in shock, but he put it aside. “No, I mean he really missed you. When you left…” he trailed off unsure, before shaking his head.
 
Kagome's face promptly turned concerned. “Did something happen?!”
 
Wilson sighed. “It's not my place to tell you. Look, he loves you Kagome. He may not know it, but I can tell. He never acted this way with Stacy. With you, he was happy.
 
Kagome rolled her eyes. “You're deluded. Love? Seriously? And he's always happy...” At the flat look thrown her way she rubbed her neck sheepishly and amended that. “Okay, kinda then. He's just a little grumpy most of the time.”
 
Wilson shook his head; trust Kagome to see the good in House, the man who tended to make everyone's life his own little playground to twist around. “Well, when you left, he became even more grumpier. Let's just say… House wasn't really House when you left without a trace or any word.”
 
Kagome shook her head this time, obviously not believing it. “No way had my departure affected House like that, you're making it seem like he's a little kid who had his favorite ice cream taken away. He was probably just disappointed his little `play toy' wasn't here anymore. We were close friends, sure, but not that close.”
 
Wilson opened his mouth to argue bit was interrupted.
 
`beepbeepbeep…'
 
Kagome started slightly, causing Wilson to smother a chuckle.
 
Pausing to send him a glare Kagome slipped a slender into her pocket and dug out a pager, blinking in surprise once she saw the name.
 
“I gotta take this…” she mumbled, slightly under her breath.
 
It made Wilson send her a curious look. “You're on call on your first day back?” he questioned her.
 
Kagome shrugged. “Not really. I'm not supposed to be, but this is a... `special case' I guess you could say.” She really couldn't say anymore.
 
Wilson nodded slowly, getting the hint. Letting out a deep breath he stood up to give her the privacy she probably needed. “Well, I need to get back to work… and check on House while I'm at it. Who knows what kind of destruction or mayhem he could be conducting…” He grinned when he heard his friend giggle.
 
Kagome nodded, smiling. “It was nice seeing you again Wilson. Don't be a stranger.” She winked at him.
 
“Aye, aye ma'm,” and he mocked saluted before taking his leave. Before he closed the door behind him he stuck his head back in. “And Kagome?”
 
Kagome's hand paused in mid-air, clutching the receiver. She peered over at him curiously. “Yeah?”
 
Wilson gave her a comforting, yet serious look. “Don't give up on House, he needs you.” He didn't wait to see her reaction as he shut the door behind him.
 
Back at her desk Kagome stared at the closed door in a thoughtful daze, before shaking her head. First things first.
 
She dialed the number on the phone, and waited as it rang in her ear until the other person finally picked up.
 
A feminine voice spoke out, her tone underlined with worry. “Dr. Higurashi?” she asked quickly,
 
Kagome smiled softly. “Hello Lia. How's little Belle doing?” Her voice was soothing.
 
A forced nervous laugh could be heard. “She could be better. So you're finally back, correct?
 
Kagome made a sound of agreement. “Yes, when can you come in?”
 
There was a slight pause before Lia spoke. “Is tomorrow fine?"
 
Kagome answered, “Of course it is, I've no other appointments planned yet. So will I see you in the morning or the afternoon, after school?”
 
A relieved sigh was her answer. “In the morning, please. I want her to get better as soon as possible. I don't want to take any chances when it comes to her demon blood.
 
Kagome agreed readily. “I don't blame you; this is a sensitive thing we're dealing with. I'm only sorry that Belle has to suffer through this.”
 
Thank you, Kagome. This means so much to me. Thank you, for everything. For being so understanding, and helping…”
 
Kagome leaned back in her chair, looking out of the glass sliding doors and at the bright blue sky. It was such a beautiful day…
 
She smiled gently. “Of course Lia. Anything for family…”
 
-0—0—0—0—0—0—0—0 212;0—0—0—0—0—0—0—0—0— ;0—0—0—0—0—0—0—0—0—0& #8212;0—0-
 
Words- 4,132 (Hehe I like the number XD)
 
Oh geeze guys, I'm so sorry. This chapter probably sucks, and I haven't updated for like two months. I hit a major block after the first scene with just House and Wilson, and when only half of it was written.
 
And nothing really even happened in here. Ugh.
 
But anywhoo, how was it really? Don't sugarcoat it for my benefit. I hope you all enjoyed it though! Heh, sorry for the cliffy.
 
And you know, reviews always help! They put me in a happy mood, which seriously makes me wanna write!!
 
So review please!! Comments, constructive criticism, compliments, or even flames are welcome!
 
Thanks very much!
 
Till next time, (hopefully soon)
RainLily ^^
 
-0—0—0—0—0—0—0—0 212;0—0—0—0—0—0—0—0—0— ;0—0—0—0—0—0—0—0—0—0& #8212;0—0-
 
--Reviews—
 
Thank you so very much for the alerts! Favorites! And Reviews!!
 
Mara?- thanks! Yea, that's how I felt at first but then I got used to it after reading a few oneshots. Thanks again!! You're so sweet!! ^^
 
Kai3anime- Hehe thanks!!! It means a bunch to hear that!! So how'd you like this chappy?!