InuYasha Fan Fiction / Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Deceit ❯ Three ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Three
 
Sango stood still, frozen beneath the devilish eyes of the man that was perched protectively over the holy woman she had—had—! His lip lifted, flashing the deadly canines within his mouth in her direction, and a thick snarl penetrated the walls around her from his chest.
 
“K-Kagome…?” Tears suddenly rushed to the surface, not from the sight of such a sin, but from the feeling of her heart shattering inside her chest. How could—? “Why?
“Sango-chan, you have to understand—!” Kagome tried to lift herself up, but Hiei pressed her back down, recognizing the weaponry that the warrior woman was carrying. And, no doubt, in her sudden confusion and depression, she could easily turn them upon his female.
 
No.” Sango's eyes hardened and her fist clenched tight. “I don't understand. How could you betray our village, Kagome? How could you commit such a sin? How could lie to us? How could you lie to me? I—”
 
Sango.” Kagome, too, dropped the suffix, as she noticed the raw anger beginning to rise within the warrior woman's eyes. She had never seen Sango cast that look upon her, but now that she had, she wished that she could have kept it from ever forming.
 
Hurt, Sango let her heart be known, as she cried out, “I love you!
 
Shock rushing through her body, Kagome tightened her grip on Hiei instinctively.
 
“I l-love you,” Sango cried. “I love you, so h-how could you—? How could you—?”
 
Easily lifting Kagome into his arms, Hiei moved the instant the warrior woman launched herself forward with a battle cry. The blade she had had concealed beneath her wrist plate sprang to life, ripping through the fabric on her arm, and glinted dangerously in the darkness. She was well trained with the blade, accurate, though it appeared that she would be no match for his speed.
 
Twisting on her foot, ripping the blade through the thick bedding Kagome had been laying upon, Sango glared angrily at the sight of her in that man's arms. “How could you betray me?” she roared.
 
“I didn't know—!” Kagome felt the breath leave her, as Hiei once again avoided Sango's wild swing. She shut her eyes tight. Everything was all wrong. T-this was not supposed to have happened!
 
Was this… Amaterasu's way of punishing her for her sin?
 
Panting lightly from the exertion, Sango swiftly blocked the only exit and pulled another blade from her waistband. The man carrying Kagome might be quick, but he would be surprised to find that she had quite a few tricks up her sleeve. “I w-will relieve you of your sin, Kagome. And then—” she tried to stop her tears, “—I will join you with Amaterasu in the Land Above.”
 
Hiei snarled at the implication. While he had been forcing down the need to harm Kagome's friend and his, apparent, competition, the fact that she had just threatened Kagome's life caused his anger to boil. His eyes flashed dangerously, warning the warrior woman, but it did not appear that she would—
 
I didn't know!” Kagome screamed, feeling a fresh rush of tears flood from her eyes.
 
Watching Kagome's shining tears streak down and drop onto the floor below, Sango felt like something inside of her had simply died. Her anger washed away and her tears dried up, and she could only feel a deep, empty void where her heart was supposed to be. “I—” she dropped to the floor, limp, “—Kagome.”
 
“Please, Sango, I love hi—” Kagome tried to explain.
 
Don't,” Sango flinched. It still hurt, she realized. It hurt so much. Yet, the thought that she had made Kagome cry, that she was the reason for Kagome's sadness, hurt her even more. She could not possibly—!
 
Hiei watched the woman closely. His third eye cracked open beneath the cloth he concealed it with, searching for any indication that the woman might attack once more. Finding none, he did not feel the need to relax his stance, for there was no telling what might set the woman off a second time.
 
“Just leave,” Sango practically whispered. “Don't ever come back.”
 
“Sango…?”
 
“I—” Sango cut her off, knowing that listening to her speak would only make her cry again, “—won't tell anyone. But, you know that they'll figure it out. They'll search and they'll search, and I hope that you've managed to get far enough away, because—”
 
Kagome shut her eyes, hoping that she did not—
 
“—because if I see you again, with that man, I will not hesitate a second time,” Sango said. “So leave. Get out.”
 
“Sa—!”
 
Sango glanced up in surprise, feeling a strange wind past her by, and found that the man had taken Kagome away from her with his incredible speed. The room was suddenly empty, lifeless, and she only shifted her eyes when she noticed a single object upon Kagome's nightstand. Was that—?
 
Not bothering to lift herself from the floor, Sango crawled toward the little object. It was hard to see it in the dark, but approaching it slowly, she recognized it as the onyx colored bracelet Kagome always wore. The one that she had given to Kagome when she was finally accepted underneath Kikyo's tutelage.
 
Reaching out, Sango slid the bracelet from the nightstand and slowly rolled it between her fingers. Kagome had been wearing it that day, unknowingly carrying a constant part of Sango's attempt to explain silently that she had loved her.
 
Leaning forward, the bracelet clutched in her hand, Sango released a long, mournful whine. Her eyes clenched tight, fighting tears that would not form, while she sobbed hysterically for her unrequited love.
 
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
 
His third eye remained alert, as a slow rumble escaped his chest to soothe the female crying quietly in his embrace. He could almost understand how she felt, having been cast out by the very thieves that had raised him so long ago. But, he would not pretend that he did, for he would have never considered any of them to have been his friend.
 
“Hiei,” she sniffled.
 
“Shhh,” he nudged her temple with his nose lightly. “We're almost outside the barrier.”
 
She nodded, trying to hide her tears by burying her face into the cloak surrounding his flesh. She had wanted to be free, to finally leave the village and be Hiei's mate, but she had never expected for everything to go so horribly wrong. T-to make Sango hate her.
 
Watching a warrior woman glance around the area, Hiei utilized his speed when she shifted her face away and shot through the barrier. The warrior woman on the other side tensed, suspicious, and went in search of the odd rustling she had heard in the tree he had fled from. However, he paid her no mind, instead rushing into the thick wood surrounding the village to freedom.
 
Kagome had never been outside the barrier, but she could not bring herself to care for the dark, surrounding wood as Hiei flew through the area with increasing speed. Her eyes slipped closed, a few remaining tears leaking from beneath her lids, and she allowed his quiet rumbles to ease her into sleep.
 
Hiei merely continued his trek into the night, his face relaxed with the knowledge that his female had found peace within his embrace.
 
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
 
Hiei!” someone yelled. “Yo!
 
The light of a new day awakening Kagome from her slumber, she shifted a little in her lover's embrace. Then, blinking rapidly against the faintly red sky, she glanced in the direction of where she could have sworn—Noticing a strange man waving excitedly toward them, Kagome stiffened. “W-who…?”
 
“Don't worry—” Hiei's voice sent a rush of excitement through her, “—it's merely Yusuke. Though, I am rather surprised to find that he is awake this early.”
 
“Where have you been, Hiei?” Yusuke yelled. “We've been—Hey, is that a woman?”
 
“He is rather…”
 
“Loud, yes.” Hiei snorted, listening to the quiet giggle that escaped from Kagome. Her tension did not decrease, though, and he shifted his hand just enough to reassure her by pressing her body closer to his own. “Don't worry, Kagome, if you're ever afraid, you merely need to call for me. I won't let anyone or anything hurt you.”
 
“Hiei,” she smiled.
 
Hiei growled lightly, gazing upon her brilliant face. The dawn only seemed to enhance her radiance, and he could not help but stop to watch her a little while longer. Then, pushed by instinct, he attached himself to the plump lips he had been forced to watch twitch with emotion throughout the night.
 
The world around them forgotten—Yusuke seemed to shout something out of shock—Kagome felt her sadness from the night before wash away slowly. She felt almost as if Hiei was drawing it into himself, taking it away, and she knew that her decision had been right. Her village had been frozen long ago, seeking isolation, but that was not the life she wished to lead.
 
She could not imagine life without Hiei, so she was willing to throw away tradition and constant peace. She was willing to, one day, stand before Amaterasu and tell her that, yes, she had committed a sin against her religion. That she had embraced that beautiful sin, and been happy.
 
She was willing now. Oh so willing. Because while the women of her village might not understand, she knew that she would never stop loving him.
 
Hiei,” she whispered.
 
—Fin
 
-----
 
KibaSin: Thanks for reading!