InuYasha Fan Fiction / Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ With Meaning ❯ Developments ( Chapter 10 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Kuwabara grinned and loped up to the little family as Kagome crouched and pointed at a nicely done display in a nearby store, her smile bright and indulgent as little Shippou's eyes lit up and he leaned forward in her arms to look.
Kurama smiled as he watched his friend and sighed—the bright little kitsune looked up to them, and it was hard to deny that he was thriving under the very warm gaze of his mother.
Shippou muttered something Kurama didn't hear, too distracted by ruminations and wonderings, and Kagome threw her head back to laugh from deep within her throat.
Kurama felt a slow smile tug at his lips as he walked over to his friends and crouched to talk to the little fox.
“Ne Shippou, didn't you want some chimaki?”
Shippou exploded with energy and started bouncing on his feet, squirming in his mother's loose embrace until she let him go and he could dart around their feet. She smiled softly and bit her lip to withhold a more exuberant grin. Kurama, from his off position feet away, couldn't help his answering smile.
There was a part of him so enamoured with Kagome that he couldn't help anything around her. His usual propensity to `think twice and act once' was failing; he reacted instinctively to her emotions and actions. For a tricky and old kitsune like him, one who had defied death, it was a disconcerting thing. But he couldn't find it in himself to hate Kagome for it.
There was sincerity in all that she did, an underlying fire that was banked and ready to come to life in defence of her child and friends. It had come out on Hanami, and Kurama had been grateful to see that, despite an intimation of a violent past haunting her, she still wasn't afraid to stand up and react to something she felt wrong.
And it had helped that she'd been standing up for Kuwabara.
Kurama had a soft spot for the man that had only grown over the years.
And all the time they spent with the woman and her son seemed to affect his large friend in such a positive way. Kuwabara was coming out of his defensive shell; not afraid to ask questions or simply relax. Kurama found he could only enjoy the man more when his soul shone so brightly.
He had been privy to how deeply Kuwabara felt, and pained that sweet Yukina had unknowingly stomped on his very real feelings. Kurama hadn't known exactly what the `red ribbons of fate' were, but Kuwabara had believed in them.
And Yukina had desired to go home to the ice floe in the makai, wanted to be among her own kind and live like them. She hadn't realized that such a thing would be a rejection of Kuwabara and his very real love for her.
But she'd gone, and Kurama was left to help his friend. He'd always understood him more, and now it had come in handy. They'd goofed off with each other and opened up, wounds healing and minds realizing—they weren't so different after all.
Kurama was scared of losing his very human family; Kuwabara was scared of losing his very humanity to despair. They'd been lost amongst their lives for so long that finding such an understanding as a ground base was revolutionizing. But still Kuwabara was afraid to open up again to love; as much as Kurama was scared to test it.
But Kagome, sweet and warm Kagome with her dark hair and large heart, had slowly worked on them both. Kurama wanted, with ever fibre of his being, to tell his mother about his true past and see if she'd still smile at him so lovingly like Kagome did to Shippou. He wanted to blurt it all out at dinner to see if she'd like his tail as much as Kagome loved brushing Shippou. He yearned to listen to her speaking while moving his fingers through her hair in the traditional grooming of the kitsune family…like Kagome and Shippou…
Kurama sighed.
Then smiled.
He could tell that Kuwabara, large and bumbling and still so perfect, wanted to love like Kagome did—despite the painful risk he'd already experienced.
She was good for the both of them that way.
Shippou shouted out and tagged Kuwabara, darting off with a giggle. Kurama wondered, if his tail had been disillusioned, if it would have been wagging as energetically as his own had when he was a kit and fooling around with his father.
The thought stopped him cold.
A human Kuwabara, fathering to a youkai kit…
He shook his head.
Kagome looked back with inquiring eyes, gradually slowing until she too had stopped. She was waiting for him.
Kurama slowly took up his pace again, ready to write it all off as a moment's fancy. But the words wouldn't come out of his mouth. Kagome had narrowed her eyes in a worried way, and he felt her soul brushing along his curiously.
“Kurama-san?”
He cleared his throat, and yet couldn't bring up a lie when she was so close. Instead he sighed with a chuckle. “Yes, Kagome-san?”
She smiled, “Is there something wrong?”
The two of them turned to walk side by side, his hand bumping her arm as he looked down at her and she briefly turned to check on Shippou.
“Nothing wrong, I'm just contemplating things.”
She giggled, “Shippou says that's boring.” Then she turned a fully, toothy grin up to him. “You should listen; sometimes the children are the wisest.”
Kurama swallowed, “Even the youkai children?” How could she say such a thing? Humans thought them demons, monsters of myth and terror…that youkai children could be perceived as innocent as ningen was almost heresy. Especially for a miko.
Kagome's breath hitched in her throat with an audible sound, her wide eyes almost hurt as they turned up to him. “All the children.” She said slowly and solemnly.
Kurama looked away. “I wondered if you were a miko.”
“I…am.” She conceded, but her chin titled up and she refused to look up to him, even while keeping her slow pace beside him. “But that doesn't mean I don't care. There are terrible humans out there too. Sometimes beings change…is that so hard to believe?”
Kuyrama cleared his throat and looked at Shippou, “I was surprised at first.”
She startled, blinking at his seeming change of topic. “Whatever for?”
“Your son is pure kitsune, I am an avatar; a youkai soul trapped in a human body. I didn't think any humans left would be so open to adopting our kind.” Especially one of holy power was left unsaid.
“I am sure your mother would accept you knowing the truth.”
Kurama snorted—being a little bitter and sad at the same time. “I was a thief and a bandit—scum. She's so delicate and moralistic…” he swallowed. “I have nightmares about scaring her; so it's best that she never knows.”
Kagome blinked sad eyes up at him. She smiled only to lose it seconds later, as if she couldn't stand portraying such delightful emotion when he was so bitter.
He watched her swallow as Kuwabara made some growling noises while chasing Shippou a little ways down the sidewalk. “Sometimes…we never give people the chance to do something.” She turned wide eyes up to him. “I knew a man who wouldn't let me love him because he didn't expect me to, but I did.” She smiled depreciatively and then laughed.
Kurama swallowed a hard little lump in his throat; it sounded like that had ended badly.
But then her smile became happy, her eyes glittering as she looked up at him. The sound of Shippou's laughter rang high in the wet air of May. “Sometimes Kurama, taking the risk with your heart is worth it. Surely a thief thrills in the adrenaline of the hunt.”
“The thief doesn't stand to lose his mother.”
Kagome stopped walking, a particularly colourful koinobori flag fluttering pathetically behind her. “But you've changed,” she held up her hand to stop his interjection, “the fact that you fear her reaction confirms it. You are not who you were before. And though people are shaped by their past, it is who they have become that matters. Being a bandit doesn't make you tainted…it just means that you truly know the side you've chosen because you've experienced both.”
Kurama swallowed, looking up to find Shippou on Kuwabara's shoulder as the large man looked back at them solemnly from a distance away.
“Or,” he spoke slowly, “it could mean I can easily change sides.”
Kagome burst into laughter.
Kurama blinked, oddly shocked and hurt.
She waved a hand at him as she covered her mouth with the other. “Kurama-kun, I've seen how you treat my son and even Kazuma-kun. You may have those instincts, whatever breed you are, but you love as easily as the inu love pack.”
Kurama slowly smiled (a small part of his mind curious as to how she knew about inu, which had been extinct for decades and left very little records since they were so vicious in protecting their pack) but the larger bulk of his thoughts occupied with how Kagome knew just what to say.
“Maybe I do.” There was a pause as they caught up wit the others, “Ah, I'm a kitsune, by the way.”
Shippou yowled happily and jumped at him.
Kagome's laughter rang out loudly over the low chuckles of Kuwabara, and Kurama's content smirk settled onto his face as he played with the disguised kit.
……………………
Kuwabara blew on his hands; the cold weather had set in. He stamped his feet as he made his way up the walkway to Kagome's house. He smiled as he heard the chatter of Shippou—the closer he got the easier it was to tell the boy was excited about being on the soccer team.
There was an exclamation about Souta-jichan before Kuwabara had the chance to knock—and the door was flung open.
Shippou blinked in surprise before a grin lit his face and he jumped into Kuwabara.
“Momma! Kazuma-san is here!”
“Well let him in!” shouted her laughing voice. Kuwabara gingerly stepped into the house, carefully not to let Shippou bump into the door jamb as he hung off his arm. He closed the door behind them and then swung Shippou upside down over his shoulder, giving the boy a vigorous noogie as Kagome made her way down the hall.
“Kazuma-kun, how are you?”
“I'm good. I actually wanted to take a look at those scrolls you mentioned.”
Kagome lit up, her smile bright and eyes twinkling as she gestured for him to come in further. “That would be wonderful, just let me get our coats and we'll nip over to the shrine.”
“Oh no! I don't want to put you out of your way!”
Kagome laughed as she tucked Shippou's scarf around his neck. “Nonsense. We'll finally get some use out of them.” She smiled up at him prettily before turning to get into her own coat—Kuwabara stepped forward to help her get her arms in.
“You don't read them?” He asked softly, oddly disappointed.
“Oh!” She laughed, “I don't need to. I know those stories like the back of my hand.” She grinned sadly, “Almost like I lived through it.”
Shippou stilled from where he was hanging onto his hand and looked up at his mother.
“Anyway,” she said briskly, “its best we get over there before it has snowed too heavily—the sidewalks haven't been shovelled in a while.”
Kuwabara nodded and stepped back into the wind. He carefully tucked his freehand into his pocket, wiggling them to warm them as they walked back out into the heavy cold of the fall.
Shippou and she chatted happily around him as they described some of the scrolls and what they contained.
They made their way to a shed off to the side of the large shrine house, the grounds sprawling and covered in fallen leaves.
The doors slid open with the heavy `shick' of cared for wood, and Kuwabara breathed deeply of dust and old paper when he stepped into the dimness of the building.
Kagome picked up a flashlight as they walked deeper among shelves. “The sociocultural norms of samurai are further back, unless you wanted rural life. I think that's…” She trailed off and looked around with narrowed eyes.
Shippou grinned and bounced up beside them. “By the Fuedal Era stuff! See I remembered!”
Kagome laughed. “Come this way then.”
Kuwabara smiled and followed.
“Here.” She said softly, gazing at the scrolls with a fond and lost look—the one he'd seen her wear before that was so striking to his senses.
“Kagome-san…?”
She cleared her throat before looking up to him. Her eyes were searching, and something in them softened and released. “Kazuma-kun, I don't want you to think I'm crazy. But I do know about demons—I've fought alongside them. Some of these scrolls have my past in them if you care to look.” She flushed, “It's how I met Shippou.” She smiled down at her child as he grabbed her hand, his big green eyes looking up at hem both carefully. “If you want to know then take some of these.”
Kuwabara swallowed. “I don't need to.” He said softly. Her eyes blinked at him. “That's your past, I won't go prying.” He affirmed stubbornly.
Kagome smiled, “I'm welcoming you to look. I know about yours, you've talked to me enough. I trust you.”
Kuwabara took in a shaky breath as he took the indicated scrolls. He swallowed hard, this was Kagome's past. He'd take his very best care of it because it had made such a sensitive and beautiful woman.
He'd told her of his past in the many times previous they'd met, months of slowly developed revelations. She'd helped him deal with the abandonment of his parents…the loss he still felt.
But she didn't know about reikai or the spirit detectives. And her open acceptance of him now made him regret not talling her. He dared to think she would have understood that as well.
She'd healed him in ways that Kurama hadn't been able to.
He didn't need her to trade information…but her doing so wasn't a trade. It was a friendship.
Kuwabara smiled and bowed to her.
She laughed and waved him off, handing Shippou the flashlight as she reached up to get some more scrolls. “These should be enough to start your research. I hope it bears fruit.”
“I'm sure it will.”
They left the shed quietly, comfortably, walking out into the cool air.
Kuwabara made a face as he tried to shift the scrolls for a better hold—to expose less of his skin. It was too cold out.
Kagome looked over just hen, and her face clouded with consternation as she took away the scrolls and ordered him to put his hands in his pockets. “Where are your gloves?”
Kuwabara shuffled on his feet as Shippou bit his lip impishly. “I kind of lost them at the park the last time I played with Shippou.”
The kit snickered. “They got caught in a briar bush and aren't no good any more.”
Kagome's face blanked before she smiled. “Well then,” she spoke briskly, as if trying to match the air around them, “We can't have you carrying these scrolls while freezing.”
She stopped in the stoop of her house, ushering Shippou in before she reached up into the hall closet and turned back around to face Kuwabara, him awkwardly shifting in the doorway.
“Here.” Kagome said firmly, thrusting a nice pair of dark leather gloves at him.
Kuwabara stuttered and tried to object, but Kagome sniffed and started putting the gloves on his hands before he could make his way out the door.
Instead he settled and watched her.
“There,” she smiled contently, “now you don't have to freeze. We can't have you losing any fingers.”
“Thank you.” He said softly, rather choked.
Kagome blinked and looked up at him with her large eyes, carefully looking into his own dull brown orbs before she smiled softly and shook her head in exasperation. She leaned up on her tiptoes, her hands firmly in his scarf, and kissed his cheek. “Kazuma-kun, you're a wonderful young man who deserves whatever I can give you.” Her eyes glittered and Kuwabara nodded.
She nodded and handed him the remaining scrolls that hadn't fit into his jacket pockets, her smile warming to his soul as he walked down her sidewalk.
He swallowed and tightened his scarf as he stepped out into the snowy streets, his eyes narrowed against the wind as he ducked his head. There was something about Kagome that was so entirely lovable he couldn't help himself.
He guessed he had never learned his lesson.
It was best not to want what you couldn't have.
But Kagome made it so easy, she was always giving and welcoming and laughing…
Kuwabara scowled. He was always taking: he took her scrolls, the damning evidence in his coat pocket; he took her hospitality, her warm meals and awesome tea; he took her time from her son; and he took her gifts. What did he ever give her? He hadn't even given her the full story of his past, and his soul cried out at the injustice he could see in it now.
He swallowed heavily and set to trudging home through the weather, the whole walk a reminder of his warm hands because one woman cared too darn much for someone not worth that much.
……………………… ; ;…………
Kuwabara pressed his mouth to the back of his hand as he thought; a furrow in his brow as he grimaced and clenched his teeth and tried not to do all of that. But the thinking wouldn't stop, and his sensitivity grew with his darker thoughts and thus his clenched teeth and tight brow and everything conspiring against him—even his own body.
Kuwabara felt his breath enter his lungs with the pain of pins and needles, his very blood hurting him as his thoughts spiralled darker and deeper. He watched Kagome smile and laugh as she lifted Shippou into the air and spun him around.
He swallowed and turned away.
If Yukina, sweet and naively accepting Yukina, couldn't accept him for his humanity and his faults- then how could someone as beautiful and lively as Kagome ever put up with him enough to love him? He had been in a steady relationship with the koorime, and it had all fallen apart despite his confidence in the red ribbons of fate. He had known they were meant for each other…but the koorime hadn't. Yukina had broken it off and broken his heart—Kuwabara remembered the slump he had been in, his grades slipping and his muscles weak as he practically gave up on everything.
And then Kurama had been there for him, the fox had pushed aside his busy schedule and literally dragged Kuwabara out and about until he'd been able to knock some sense into his brain.
Kuwabara had always been a little slow—he liked to think it meant he thought more thoroughly and deeply about everything. But that one time, he'd been thinking too much.
His fallout with Yukina had put him in a delicate position amongst his old teammates. Hiei was at once pleased and annoyed with him, and Yusuke scratched his head and shrugged his shoulders (in his experience with Keiko these things blew over quickly and their relationship recovered).
But Kuwabara had needed something different.
And Kurama had realized that, despite Kuwabara's reputation, the man could think, and at the moment he needed not to.
The usually stoic and upright boy had roughhoused and took him to the arcade, employed some fox like trickery on a group of whiny brats that had been bugging some schoolgirls, goaded Kuwabara into a game fest at the arcade, and even suffered through a rock concert (in the back row, due to his sensitive hearing) just to remind Kuwabara that there was more he had to live for.
Kurama and he understood each other.
Kuwabara swallowed and tilted his head back, his face pained. Kagome would do well with Kurama, and the fox was interested in her—he understood her son as a kitsune and could provide for her and make her happy.
Kuwabara was still finding his place in the world.
And it probably wouldn't have worked out anyway.
He snatched a handful of holiday treats, making sure to grab a little of those salted nuts he loved, and carefully watched Kagome as she walked into the room with a tray of tea.
Kurama smiled and took it from her so she could grab up the empty bowls from previous snacks. Kuwabara watched this with heavy eyes, catching a smile from Kagome as she beamed at them for celebrating the New Year with her.
He shook his head and couldn't resist smiling back sloppily. As much as it hurt…Kurama would take care of her. They'd been friends so long…actually, been friends with Kagome for so long that he'd take care of her no questions asked.
And they might even love each other already, anyway.
It wasn't that hard to love Kagome, and Kurama always had the girls fawning over him.
Kuwabara nodded, waiting for the count down—he would pull away come the day. It was only fair. He shouldn't be around to put a damper on the little family that would develop.
He watched the two of his friends regard him quietly, worriedly, as they manoeuvred about the small living room. Their souls were not meshing like they used to, and Kuwabara damned himself for interfering in so beautiful a thing with his own melancholy. It only served to firm his suspicions—he was in the way.
So Kuwabara forced on a smile—something so hard to do now that Kagome had gotten to him so readily—and munched on his snacks. Shippou was slowly winding down from his candy high…and the night would be over soon.
He wouldn't have to face his temptation any longer.
 
 
X_X_X_X_X_X_X_X_X_X_X_AN_X_X_X_X_X_X_X_X_X_X_X_X
Well, I did have writers block, but this all just came out. It must be because I am supposed to be studying for midterms. Go figure.
Anyway, I apologize for the wait; hopefully the next chapter will come together faster. (And cross your fingers for the rebirth of fichaven *hopeful puppy eyes*!)
Edited Sunday, February 17, 2008.