InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ A Mother Miko's Instincts ❯ A Mother Miko's Instincts Chapter 9 ( Chapter 9 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

A Mother Miko's Instincts - Chapter 9
By Majicman55
 
 
The youkai nursemaids tsk'ed as Kagome personally changed and cuddled her four babies. That was what the nursemaids were for, didn't she know that? But she insisted that she and her mate should do it themselves at least some of the time…although, the nursemaids noted, the miko did more of the changing than the hanyou did.
 
Some things never change.
 
It did, however, free the nursemaids for other tasks. Everything was packed and the beach house was closed up in time for an early start back to The Great Lord of the Western Land's castle. After breakfast, of course.
 
“Oi. You bastard. You were laughing at me.”
 
The Great Lord of the Western Lands maintained a stoic expression. “This Sesshomaru does not laugh.”
 
“You ain't foolin' me.”
 
“Relax, InuYasha,” said Kagome. “We were all laughing at you.”
 
“Oh…well…in that case…hey!”
 
Kagura was using her fan to conceal her smile, but it couldn't silence her giggle. “H-Hopping around…like that…with a crab youkai hanging off your…oh my.”
 
“It was pretty funny,” said Kagome. The miko noted that although Sesshomaru's expression was still stoic, his shoulders seemed to be shaking.
 
“Not to the guy with the crab!”
 
A snort came from Sesshomaru's direction. But by the time InuYasha turned to his brother, Sesshomaru was expressionless again.
 
As InuYasha turned to her, Kagome looked past him towards his brother. Was that her imagination, or had Sesshomaru stuck his tongue out at her mate?
 
InuYasha noticed her expression and whipped around to face Sesshomaru who, once again, was sitting quietly. “Feh.”
 
“I don't know what your problem is, little brother. Apparently your miko healed you right there on the beach…judging from what Kagura and I heard.”
 
This time, both InuYasha and Kagome were blushing.
 
 
******************
 
 
Aside from the pups putting up a fuss about not staying longer at the beach, the trip back to the castle was relatively uneventful. Upon arriving at the castle, Sesshomaru met with the head of his household staff.
 
“Everything seems to be fine, Lord Sesshomaru, except…” The youkai paused for a moment.
 
Sesshomaru focused his attention. The head of his staff knew that he was expected to handle most problems himself. For him to bring something to Sesshomaru's attention, it must be either serious or at least very unusual. “Except?”
 
“Some of the staff is missing.”
 
This was not completely unusual. The Great Lord of the Western Lands could be a difficult taskmaster and some of his staff would simply leave when it got to be too much. “What is the problem? Replace them.”
 
“Yes, my lord,” answered the youkai. “But some of those who left have been on the staff for years.”
 
“I see.”
 
“…and some are guards. We have one guard locked up, my lord. He keeps babbling. What do you wish done with him?”
 
Sesshomaru considered. He had seen enough in his life not to dismiss “babblings” out of hand. “Take me to him.”
 
“Yes, my lord.”
 
 
******************
 
 
Kagome looked worried. She and InuYasha were finishing putting their things away from the trip, and something was nagging at her.
 
“Oi. What's got you all worked up?”
 
“I…I don't know.” She frowned. “There's something. It's not youkai, but it's not not youkai. There's a feeling of spiritual power, but it's more like what I felt around Tsubaki.”
 
“The dark miko?”
 
“Yeah. Only more powerful.”
 
“Do you think the pups are in danger?”
 
“I don't know,” answered Kagome.
 
 
*******************
 
 
Sesshomaru stood outside the cell where the raving youkai was being held.
 
“Power. Such power,” the youkai mumbled. “Never seen an ass with so much power.”
 
One of Sesshomaru's eyebrows shot up.
 
“Called itself…Oshirimaru.”
 
“Open the door,” said Sesshomaru.
 
The Great Lord of the Western Lands strode forward into the cell and addressed the prisoner. “Do you know who I am?”
 
The youkai cringed, but then looked up. “Y-Yes, my lord.”
 
“You will stand before me and give your report.”
 
The youkai pulled himself together and slowly rose to his feet to stand before his lord. “Yes, my lord.” The guard started trying to straighten his armor so he would be presentable before The Great Lord of the Western Lands.
 
“Well?”
 
“It was horrible, my lord. It was…a floating ass.”
 
Sesshomaru stared at the guard. “A what?”
 
“I knew you wouldn't believe me!” The guard started to sink back down to the floor.
 
“Stand up! Continue your report at once!”
 
“Y-Yes, my lord.” The guard came back to attention. “My compatriot and I were patrolling the castle when we encountered a floating ass.” The guard paused a moment, then continued. “Pardon me, my lord, but it was not the first time.”
 
“Indeed. And you thought it not important enough to bring to this Sesshomaru's attention?”
 
“We were off-duty the first time, and agreed we had consumed too much sake.” It was not a complete lie, the guard thought. It was what they had agreed on at the time.
 
“Go on.”
 
“We challenged the apparition and it called itself Oshirimaru.”
 
A girl's ass, thought Sesshomaru. Supposedly a perfect one, at that. “Continue.”
 
“It demanded we change our allegiance from you, my lord, to it. We refused, of course.”
 
“Good.”
 
“Why would we want to work for an ass, no matter how powerful?”
 
 
******************
 
 
There was a knock at the door and InuYasha opened it. “Yes?”
 
“Lord Sesshomaru requests your presence in the main hall.”
 
“Feh. Can't it wait?”
 
“I think we should go, InuYasha,” said Kagome as she came up beside her mate. “I have a feeling it's important.
 
“Tell my brother we'll be there directly.”
 
“Very well.” The messenger turned and left.
 
Kagome put one hand over her mate's heart and the other over her own. “I feel in here that something is wrong. Let's get going.”
 
 
******************
 
 
Sesshomaru sat in the main hall taking care of business with various visitors and petitioners until his brother and the miko appeared.
 
“Oh, Great Lord of the Western Lands…”
 
Sesshomaru sighed. Much as he appreciated order and harmony, he disliked too much formality, especially when it seemed sure to engender an overwhelming ennui. “Get on with it.”
 
The emissary was taken aback. “As you wish, Lord Sesshomaru. My master, the Great Lord of the Southern Lands, entreats you to allow him and his new bride to spend their honeymoon here at your castle.”
 
Now Sesshomaru was curious. This might not be so boring. “Whatever for?” Sesshomaru noticed InuYasha and Kagome had walked into the main hall and were waiting patiently.
 
“As you are no doubt aware, Lord Sesshomaru, my Lord is quite advanced in years, even for a youkai, and his bride is very young…”
 
“So?” This was getting boring again.
 
“All the youkai in Japan have heard of the remarkable effect of staying in your castle. My master hopes for the same effect for himself and his new bride.”
 
Sesshomaru suppressed a smile as he notice Kagome turning beet red. Her mate was blushing, too. “This Sesshomaru will consider your lord's request.”
 
“Thank you, Lord Sesshomaru. Thank you.” The emissary bowed deeply and backed out of Lord Sesshomaru's presence.
 
Sesshomaru signaled InuYasha and Kagome to approach and his guards to clear the chamber so he could talk with them privately. “You see what you've done, miko? You're turning this Sesshomaru's castle into a `honeymoon hotel.'”
 
Kagome's blush re-deepened as she stammered out an apology. “I'm so sorry, Lord Sesshomaru.”
 
“Sit. This Sesshomaru has more important matters to discuss.”
 
Sesshomaru filled in the miko and her mate on what he had learned from his guard. “If he is to be believed, this floating ass has been absorbing youkai on my staff and, presumably, growing in power. I cannot wholly understand it, though. If it's youkai, I should have been able to detect it.”
 
“It is not wholly youkai.”
 
“What is that, Kagome?” asked InuYasha.
 
“It's not wholly youkai. It's what we discussed in our room before coming down here. I think it's related to what Myouga tried to warn us about. I felt it before we went to the beach, but it was weak. Now it's stronger. Much stronger.” Kagome paused. “It's not pure youkai. It's not purely spiritual. But it's strong and getting stronger.”
 
“According to the guard,” interjected Sesshomaru, “it can shoot powerful rays out of its…it can shoot powerful rays. It can float around, it can emit a miasma, and it absorbs youkai - and spiritual powers - to increase its power. And now it can talk out its…it can talk. It calls itself Oshirimaru.”
 
“Oi. You're kidding.”
 
“I don't think he is, InuYasha.” Kagome pondered a moment. “I think we need help…and I think I know who can help us.”
 
Both InuYasha and Sesshomaru looked at Kagome.
 
“Miroku.”
 
 
******************
 
 
Out in the garden, Rin was picking flowers for Lord Sesshomaru when she looked up to see…something…floating towards her. Finally the apparition stopped just scant feet from her.
 
Rin, having lived among youkai for so long, was not unused to the unusual and was an open and trusting individual besides, so she did not run from the creature immediately.
 
A low rumbling started within it, followed by several puffs of gas accompanied by sound. “Puff - You - puff - are - puff - Rin?”
 
“Rin is Rin, yes. Would you like some flowers?” asked Rin.
 
“Puff - no - puff - flowers.”
 
Rin scrunched up her nose. “They might make you smell better.”
 
Oshirimaru began to glow an angry red. “Puff - Smell - puff - this!”
 
Oshirimaru emitted a strong miasma that surrounded Rin and caused her to crumple to the ground. After a moment, a pair of Shinidama Chuu approached the still form and captured a glowing sphere that rose out of her body. They carried the globe to Oshirimaru and watched as the floating ass sucked it inside itself.
 
Oshirimaru floated away, back to Jaken's cave.
 
 
******************
 
 
“So you'll station extra guards on our children?” asked Kagome.
 
“Of course,” answered Sesshomaru. “And on our own.”
 
At that moment Kagura burst into the room. “Come quick! Rin's in the garden and there's something wrong with her!”
 
Both InuYasha and Kagome jumped up to accompany Kagura. The Great Lord of the Western Lands was long gone.
 
 
******************
 
 
When Kagura, Kagome and InuYasha reached the garden, Sesshomaru was standing over Rin's inert form, sword drawn. “Tenseiga, do my will.”
 
He waved the form over Rin and, sure enough breath and color returned to her. The Great Lord of the Western Lands gathered Rin's form into his arms. “This Sesshomaru thought he had lost you.”
 
A tear rolled down his cheek.
 
Kagome looked down. Even InuYasha turned away, giving his brother what privacy he could in his emotional moment. He would not tease his brother with this particular lapse.
 
“Rin? Rin?”
 
There was no answer. Sesshomaru looked into Rin's now-open eyes, but there was no presence there.
 
“Rin???”
 
“Let me see her,” said Kagome. She knelt by the girl, took her head into her lap, and cupped her hands over Rin's head. After a moment she declared, “Rin's soul is not here. Her body is alive and, with your and my help, will continue to live, but her soul is missing.” Kagome looked directly at Sesshomaru. “This is different from a normal death. Her soul has been…soulnapped...and I think it can be returned to her body if we can find it in time.”
 
Sesshomaru's eyes had red in them and for a moment it looked like he would lose control.
 
Kagura captured her mate's eyes with her own and began to gently stroke his hair. “Shhh, shhh. You won't do her any good this way.”
 
The red retreated from the Great Lord of the Western Land's eyes. “This Sesshomaru will find Rin's soul, wherever it is!”
 
Kagome turned to her mate. “InuYasha, we need Miroku…now.”
 
 
 
A/N: Well, I guess everyone knows what Oshirimaru means now. <grin>
 
As always, please read and review. Thanks!