InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ A Royal Birth: Sequel to His Little Girl ❯ Stubborn as oxes ( Chapter 20 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

“Thank you for your kind hospitality Lord Inuyasha,” Batafurai, Mintomaru's mate said with a bow.
 
“For now we shall retire to our rooms,” the northern taiyoukai said to the hanyou. “I do hope to be able to hold an audience with your father, brother and yourself tomorrow.”
 
Inuyasha nodded and watched as a squirrel youkai showed the four visiting royals down the hall. Once they were out of sight he made his way down this hall and that until he reached the chambers that Kagura shared with her sister Kanna. The hanyou knocked softly on her door not wanting to wake the pups should any of them be sleeping.
 
A moment later Kanna opened the door quietly and Inuyasha still found himself tense around her and her sister. It was disturbing to have them so close, for so long they had been enemies, Naraku's first defensive strike team. Kagome had told him several times while on shard hunts that she didn't believe that Kagura actually took any pride or enjoyment in what Naraku commanded the wind youkai be done, but he hadn't truly believe the miko until now.
 
Kanna held a finger to her lips signaling for silence and the child youkai then pointed to the bed. Inuyasha looked to where the albino girl pointing and the sight that greeted him was filled with such sweet slumber. There in the center of the large bed lay Kagura and the pups. The wind youkai lay on her side, one arm stretched out above her pillowing her head. Her black hair was loose of any styling and lay fanned out about her, the long black locks stretching down to just above the small of her back.
 
The three infant pups lay in a haphazard pile next to her chest and underneath her chin, making it look like they had been crawling over one another. Zousataro lay on his side facing Kagura's chest with Makia tucked safely in his arms, her tiny head tucked underneath his chin. Sakura lay curled above her brother and cousin's heads on her side, her back underneath Kagura's chin and her head on top of her brother's.
 
Rin lay straddling Kagura's waist, her head and body laying along Kagura's side and tucked underneath the sleeping youkai's arm, some of Kagura's hair caught in her hand. Shippou lay curled against the woman's flat stomach and Inuyasha was suddenly met with an image of Kagura smiling up at him while holding Makia in her arms flashing through his mind. He shook the image from his head, Kagura, a mother - a mother to his pup? No way!
 
“The pups are very active,” Kanna said in her whispery soft voice as she looked upon the pile of sleeping bodies. “She fell asleep shortly after the pups did,” the girl said.
 
“Why aren't you sleeping as well?” Inuyasha asked as he looked at the child youkai. “If they wore her out I'm sure they would've worn you out as well.”
 
“I never sleep. Any room that holds a mirror makes certain of that.”
 
“A mirror? I thought a mirror was your weapon,” the hanyou said confused.
 
“No. Only the mirror that Naraku forged did I ever use as a weapon. I hear and see everything; the power allows me no sleep. A mirror is simply a tool that I use to show what it is that I see.”
 
“So you could show us Naraku?” the hanyou asked, this could be very valuable.
 
“I can show you whatever you desire to see, so long as it is real.”
 
“Real?”
 
“I cannot show the dead. I cannot show you your mother,” she said her voice for once holding the slightest bit of emotion - sadness.
 
“Whoever said I-”
 
“I see and hear everything, thoughts included.” Kanna looked down at her feet before looking back up at the hanyou. “I know I have no right to ask but, could your healer prepare something for me?”
 
“Something like what?” he asked cautiously.
 
“A tea. A tea to quiet my mind so that I can sleep. I am so very tired.”
 
“Yeah, maybe. Go talk to her in the morning.”
 
“Arigato Inuyasha-sama.”
 
“Cut it with the sama and the lord and everything. I hate titles, they don't mean a damn thing to me.”
 
Kanna nodded and watched as the gruff hanyou, softened over time by first Kagome and then the children, moved to the bed. He leaned down and moved to gather his daughter in his arms but pulled his hand back at the low snarl from Zousataro as he tightened his hold on Makia. The pup was protecting his daughter and would do so even in sleep.
 
“If you wish, you may leave them with us tonight,” Kanna said as she watched him watch over the sleeping infants.
 
“Yeah, looks like they're fairly content,” he said gruffly.
 
“Sleep well Inuyasha,” Kanna said and bowed to him as he left.
 
“Don't do that either,” he said to the bowing girl. “I don't do formalities.”
 
“You just like to push the boundaries and piss people off,” Kanna said with the hint of a knowing smile.
 
“Shuddup,” he said as he left the room.
 
Inuyasha made his way down the hall and caught sight of Kagome making her way down the hall tiredly, her hand steadying her along the wall as she walked slowly. He raced forward as she stumbled and fell toward the floor, catching the woman in his arms as she fell. Kagome looked up tiredly at Inuyasha and blinked her eyes as her hand raised up to touch his cheek.
 
“Puppy,” she said softly and Inuyasha blushed at the old nickname.
 
“What are you doing out of bed?” he asked as he swung her up into his arms and carried her back toward her room.
 
“They hurt, and Sessh said he would bring the pups to feed but he never did and they're too full,” she said as Inuyasha laid her down on the bed gently, her eyes blinking slowly as she struggled to stay awake.
 
“Your,” he blushed at the thought of it. “They hurt? They hurt when you don't feed the pups?”
 
“They hurt all the time,” she said softly, her exhaustion making her unquestioningly honest in her words. “They're always full.”
 
Inuyasha looked down at her silk covered breast and then back up into her eyes. It was true she had filled out far more than he had expected, her breasts nearly double what they had been before she had become pregnant, but his intentions were pure.
 
“I could…n-nurse,” he said stumbling over the word as he blushed darkly. “The pups are all asleep and don't look to be waking any time soon, no matter what the reason,” he said hurriedly as he turned his eyes away blushing.
 
“Inuyasha,” she said softly and he turned his eyes back to her. “Please, they hurt so much.” She didn't care who emptied them just that the ache of being over filled went away.
 
“Ok,” he said softly his blush ever present.
 
Inuyasha gently pushed the silk gown down, revealing her engorged breasts and slowly lowered his head to them. He took one toughened nipple into his mouth, his tongue swirling around it soothingly as he nursed gently. He drank for a long time unable to believe how much milk she held in one breast alone. His tongue soothed the constant ache from the normal clamping of his pup as well as the sharp pain of her nursing pups' tiny milk teeth.
 
“What - are you doing to my m-m-mate?” a drunken Sesshoumaru asked as he stumbled into the room.
 
“Oh fuckin' hell,” Inuyasha growled as he smelled the sake heavy on his brother. “How much fucking sake did you drink you bastard?” he growled.
 
“More than enough,” Sesshoumaru answered as he made his way to the bed. “Now what are you doing to my mate - brother?” he asked with dark eyes.
 
“What the hell's it look like you drunken ass? I'm nursing her; she's in pain from being too full. I'm not even done with this one yet,” he said as his brother made his way on unsteady feet to sit on the other side of his mate who was watching him tiredly with worried eyes. “Think you can empty the other one without hurting her?”
 
“I'm her mate,” he said as he sat down heavily and leaned over Kagome, his eyes locked on her bared chest.
 
“That ain't what I asked,” Inuyasha growled as he grabbed the top of his brother's haori and shook him. “I asked if you could do this without hurting her,” he repeated, his golden eyes sparkling with fierce anger and protectiveness. Hell he'd always been the one to protect Kagome and mate or not, he wouldn't allow any harm to come to her from his brother.
 
“…no,” his brother answered honestly after a long moment and was suddenly and violently dragged to his feet as Inuyasha led him almost violently to the door that separated his room from the pups' room.
 
“Than you sleep in here tonight,” Inuyasha growled and shoved his brother in side, closing the door and locking it in place after seeing him fall into a heap on the bed.
 
“Inuyasha,” Kagome's weak tired voice came from the bed. “What?”
 
“Shh, it's ok,” Inuyasha soothed as he came back to bed and smoothed her hair back from her face and kissed her brow. “I don't want him to even have the chance of hurting you.” Inuyasha kissed her brow once again and then returned to the breast he had previously been attached to and continued nursing from her.
 
After a while he switched to her other breast and emptied that one as well. Inuyasha couldn't think of anything sweeter or more filling that he'd ever tasted. He watched her yawn after both breasts were emptied and he lifted the silk to cover her once again. He kissed her brow and smiled down upon her softly as he covered her with the thick blankets and tucked her into bed. He stood and moved to the door of the room, lowering the lock into place before moving back to her side.
 
“It's ok wench,” he said with a crooked smile. “Go to sleep now,” he said as he settled beside her on the bed and folded her into his arms as he lay on top of the covers.
 
Kagome moaned softly and the yawned widely as her eyes fell closed and she turned slightly, snuggling into his warm and comforting embrace. Inuyasha petted her hair as he held her in his arms and kissed her head as he felt her falling into a deep sleep. He smiled softly, reminiscently, as he thought of the times he found himself missing the times when it was just him and his pack on shard hunts, before all the mating and pups had happened. He missed just sitting with her up in a tree and having a talk with her. True he didn't always say that much, but those talks, even when they didn't say anything, meant more to him than anyone would ever know.
 
She was the first friend he'd ever made. No one meant to him what Kagome did and it was in that moment as he lay beside her that he realized that although he loved her greatly, he would never love her like a mate. She was the one who had taught him how to love, who had taught him the importance of acknowledging and showing his heart. Kagome was the one who had given him hope when he had none and faith in himself when he had only survival. She was the one who had given him a reason to live, to truly and completely live and he could never thank her enough for that.
 
“Inuyasha,” Kagome's soft voice came to him in the darkness and he looked down upon her face having no trouble seeing her in the darkness. “You're thinking too loud,” she said simply and lifted her hand to rest on his cheek.
 
Inuyasha grasped her small hand in his and kissed her palm. “Go back to sleep Kagome.”
 
“You'll sleep too?” she asked softly as she yawned.
 
“Yeah, I'll sleep too,” he said and he did.
 
Inuyasha laid his head down and folded the girl more securely in his arms as he sighed softly in the darkness and joined her in peaceful slumber. For the first time in his life, the confusion was gone and he felt more peaceful than he ever had. The only question was, why did he have that strange vision of Kagura earlier that evening? He blinked the thought away and closed his eyes as he yawned and breathed in Kagome's scent, falling into a deep peaceful slumber.
 
 
 
Toga awoke the next morning to a pounding in his head like war drums and fell out of his chair when he opened his eyes only to be met by the blaring brightness of the sun's light. He groaned and stood up and put his arms on the small of his back bending back as far as he could and grimacing at the too loud sounds of his popping back. A soft frightened moan caught his attention and it was then that he noticed the door to the library was slightly ajar. He turned his head at the sound of a second moan and found Souta curled up in a tight ball in the chair his son had occupied the night before when they had gotten themselves legless and drunk.
 
Toga moved to kneel before the chair the boy was sleeping in and put his hand to the boy's head. He gently stroked the thick black hair and called softly to the boy, hoping he could waken the little lost child from whatever was tormenting him in his troubling slumber. Instead of awakening though, the boy only grew more agitated and Toga notice tears slowly making their way out of the corners of his tightly shut eyes.
 
“Souta, child wake up,” the inuyoukai called softly to the boy. “Child wake up,” he commanded again when the boy simply continued to cry in his sleep.
 
Toga sighed when it became apparent that he would not be able to awaken the boy from his dreams and he walked to the door, closing it and then returned to the boy. He lifted Souta gently in his arms and sat down in the chair the boy had been in, holding the child on his lap and hugging him close as he stroked the child's hair. An old memory came upon him, one in which he had held Sesshoumaru in much the same way when the youkai had been but a pup. It hadn't been long after Sesshoumaru's mother had died and the pup had been having constant nightmares in which he relived the events that led to the death of his mother.
 
He remembered what he had done at the time, when Sesshoumaru's night mares had been at their worst. Perhaps the same would work now. With that thought in mind Toga dragged one of his claws over the palm of his hand and watched as the skin opened and the blood began to seep out, then he took Souta's hand and did the same to the child and put their bloodied hands together.
 
“Child of mine may my blood give you strength to awaken from your world of terror. May my blood give you strength and bring you comfort my child.”
 
Toga closed his eyes after saying the words and in doing so did not see the ghostly images of his mates and the child's father standing before him and rest their hands on both him and Souta. He didn't see the wisps of silvery white and red light that encompassed them both nor did he hear the child's father whisper a soft thank you to him.
 
When toga opened his eyes he was astonished to see Souta's hair growing long, very long and begin to lighten. When finally the boy's hair had finished its transformation it had grown very long, probably would be down to the child's waist Toga thought and was as silvery white as his own. The inuyoukai shook his head in wonder and watched in silent wonder as the boy yawned showing off his - fangs?! He looked down at Souta's hands and noticed that not only had the nails changed into claws and lengthened but the back of each hand bore a blue crest - just like his?! What the hell had - oh Kami, Toga thought as he looked at the boy who was now blinking up at him tiredly, Souta had golden eyes.
 
What the hell had his blood done? Toga asked himself. It hadn't done this to Sesshoumaru! Duh you baka! Sesshoumaru was already youkai why would your blood change that, he was your own flesh and blood!
 
“Who are you?” Souta asked as he yawned again and his eyes squeezed shut when he yawned showing the blue markings on each lid.
 
“I'm Toga, child,” the stunned youkai answered gently.
 
“Toga?” Souta repeated as he turned the unfamiliar name over in his mind. “Where am I?”
 
“You're in our castle in the Western Lands. Your mother is here as is your sister,” he said as the boy scooted off his lap and stood up.
 
“Kagome,” Souta said and his eyes grew sad as fresh tears gathered in their now golden depths. “I came to tell her and mom…”
 
“Tell them what child?” Toga asked softly as he watched the child hug himself.
 
“I went to wake up Grandpa, but he…he was…he died in his sleep,” the boy said and sniffled as he tried to fight back the tears that begged to be shed.
 
“Oh child,” Toga moaned sadly and took Souta into his arms once again and hugged the boy close. “So that's what troubled you so.”
 
“Why's my hair silver, and how'd it get so long?” Souta asked and then his eyes widened even more as he looked at his hands. “Why do I have claws and paint on me?”
 
“I'm not too sure of that myself son. I…you wouldn't awaken and were being troubled so very much by your dreams so I did with you what I did with my own son when he had the same trouble.”
 
“Who's' your son?” Souta asked as he looked up curiously.
 
“My sons are Sesshoumaru and Inuyasha, but the one I speak of is Sesshoumaru.”
 
Toga watched as the boy's eyes widened and his sadness slipped away, excitement taking its place. “Big brother Inuyasha's here?! He's my hero!”
 
Toga laughed at that and stood from his chair. He reached for Souta's hand and the newly turned inuyoukai put his hand into his.
 
“Are you hungry?” he asked and laughed heartily when the boy's stomach growled answering his question. “We'd better get that beast fed.”
 
Souta laughed as his new friend walked down the halls with him and took him down to the kitchen. His eyes widened at the many different youkai he saw throughout the castle halls a young badger youkai who looked to be about his age blushed under his stare and he ran into Toga's legs as he continued to stare at the young servant girl.
 
“Ah ha,” Toga said in amusement. “So you have discovered females.”
 
Souta blushed and returned his attention to the front, walking beside Toga as he was led down the hall and into a room filled with the smells of food. At first Souta didn't notice any of his senses being different and then one by one their new strengths became over powering. First it was taste.
 
Toga watched as Souta began to run his fingers over his tongue as though he were trying to scratching something off of it. He asked the boy about it only to learn that the boy could taste the blood of the animal that the meat had come from. Then suddenly he whimpered and covered his nose as all the smells in the room seemed to strengthen tenfold. Finally the boy collapsed when he began hearing everything far too loudly than he was used to do to his pointed ears.
 
“Damn,” Toga muttered and lifted the boy into his arms.
 
He carried the child in hi arms and down his son and daughter's chambers. He hoped that Sesshoumaru and Inuyasha would be able to help him help the boy with his newfound senses and strengths. He knew he couldn't be with the child every moment of the day and that until he was used to his new change especially the voice of his youkai that he would need someone with him. He also needed to tell his daughter of what he had learned.
 
Quietly Toga tried to open the door only to find it locked and so he gently knocked on the door while holding the child against his shoulder with one arm.
 
Inuyasha growled softly at the knocking he heard and slowly detangled himself from Kagome. The hanyou rolled over on the bed and sat up; letting his legs dangle off the side of the bed as he yawned. He stood and made his way to the door, unlocking it and pushing it open as he yawned again having smelled his father when he had been woken by the knocking.
 
“What d'ya want old man and who`s the - Souta?” Inuyasha asked stunned and wide eyed as he took the now inuyoukai adolescent that his father handed to him as he stepped inside the room.
 
“Yes, that is Souta,” Toga said as he made his way to the bed and sat down next to Kagome, petting her hair and calling to her softly. “There's my little girl,” Toga said when Kagome blinked up sleepily at him. “Where's Sesshoumaru?” Toga asked as he looked around the room.
 
“Inuyasha grounded him,” Kagome said sleepily and then looked at the boy that Inuyasha held in his arms. “Why is Souta a youkai?”
 
“Let me out!” they all heard an angry growl come from the room that Rin and Shippou normally slept in.
 
Toga moved to the door and unlocked it, watching as it was opened to reveal his eldest son.
 
“So Sesshoumaru,” Toga said with a firm stare. “You were - grounded?”
 
“He wasn't exactly in his right mind last night,” Inuyasha growled as he looked at his brother. “Kagome was in pain and all he could do was rumble drunkenly. Which makes me wonder, why was he drunk in the first place?”
 
“It was father's sake,” Sesshoumaru said with a rather undignified sniff that looked even funnier considering the normally unruffled inuyoukai's rather messy head of bed hair. “You,” he looked at Kagome, “should be resting.”
 
“Don't look at me,” the woman said and pointed at Toga, “he's the one that woke me up. Morning pappa,” she said accepting Toga's hug.
 
“Morning baby girl,” he said and kissed her brow. Toga held onto her for a moment longer and petted her hair as he hesitated in giving her the bad news. “Sweetie,” Toga said softly as he leaned Kagome away from him. “I have some bad news.”
 
“What?” Kagome asked as she searched his eyes for any hint of what the news could be.
 
“Your grandfather…”
 
“That's why Souta was so upset,” Kagome said moments later when Toga had told her what had happened, what her brother had told him.
 
“Yes.”
 
“It still doesn't explain why he's now an inuyoukai,” Sesshoumaru said and then studied the boy's face and then his father's. “Or why he bears your crests.”
 
“I'm not entirely certain how to explain that,” Toga said and began his tale of what had happened in the library with Souta. “And when I looked at him once again he was slowly turning into a youkai - inuyoukai.”
 
“Wow,” Kagome said and then yawned widely.
 
“Alright, everyone out,” Sesshoumaru said after seeing his mate's yawn.
 
Kagome frowned at her mate in confusion as Toga lifted her brother in his arms from where he had been lain on the bed beside her and he and Inuyasha walked out. She yawned again and looked up at her mate when he pushed her down to lie back on the pillows and covered her with the blankets.
 
“What are you doing?” she asked tiredly.
 
“Putting you to bed what does it look like?” Sesshoumaru said as he tucked the blankets around her. “I'll go to the pups soon and see how they are. If they're awake I'll bring them to nurse, and have someone bring breakfast to our room, but after they nurse and you eat you are going back to sleep.”
 
“I'm fine,” she said and frowned when he gave her a stern look.
 
“Don't you start with me,” he said as he watched her yawn again. “You're on bed rest until I say otherwise and Kagura, Inuyasha, I and our father will be taking over the care of the pups until I feel that you're better.”
 
“Sessh-” she began and tried to sit up.
 
“No,” he said and pushed her back down gently. “You're to stay in bed and sleep.
 
“Sessh - mmph,” she said when he silenced her with a kiss.
 
“I'm telling you to sleep Kagome. Listen to your mate.”
 
“I'm not sleepy,” she protested rather weakly considering that she yawned right after saying that.
 
“You were saying?” Sesshoumaru said with a raised brow as he looked down at her.
 
“You're so stubborn,” she grumbled.
 
“I'm stubborn?” he asked as both brows disappeared beneath his silvery bangs. “Who's the one who's refusing to sleep even though she's - very - tired,” he said punctuating the last two words with kisses to each eye when they closed tiredly.
 
“At least let me brush out that rat's nest before you leave,” she said as she sat up only to be pushed back down.
 
“I'm going to bathe, the servants will attend to my `rat's nest' as you have deemed to call it.”
 
Kagome harrumphed and grumbled at him. “Fine I see how much you love me.”
 
“I love you a lot my mate,” Sesshoumaru said as he bent down and kissed her pouting lips. “Which is why I have you confined to bed rest for the time being. Now,” he said and kissed her again. “You are to sleep,” he said and kissed her closed eyes, “and sleep,” he kissed them again, “and sleep.”
 
“You're not playing fair you ass,” she grumbled and yawned, growling when she heard her mate chuckle at her.
 
“Of course not Kagome. I don't play fair, I play to win,” he said proudly and kissed her lips and then petted her hair until she had once again returned to sleep. “Well at least the hard part's over, for now anyway,” he said to himself as he stepped out of their chambers and shut the door. He called to one of the servants passing by. “Make certain that her needs and wants are met and that she does not leave the room, and make certain that everyone knows that Lady Kagome is on bed rest until further notice.”
 
The servant nodded and bowed before continuing down the hall. Oh hell, he thought. The visiting royals, this should be fun, especially after their impromptu meeting with his mate yesterday. This should be interesting…