InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ A Royal Birth: Sequel to His Little Girl ❯ The differences between us ( Chapter 27 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

 
 
The familiar ache in her milk heavy breasts told Kagome that she needed to feed the pups, but they were only half way to the taijiya's village. She could wait couldn't she? What was a little discomfort? A shrill screaming wail broke the quiet of the air around them and both she and the dragon she was riding upon were startled by it. His massive head turned back to make certain everything was alright and the blue eyes found her trying to comfort the wailing infant in her arms.
 
“I'm sorry,” Kagome said to the dragon. “I need to feed her.”
 
The dragon nodded to her and gave a groaning growl to the two headed dragon in front of him. Ah-Un sounded back their understanding and growled at Kirara, within moments the three youkai were lowering to a snow covered meadow below them, Kagura following them on her feather.
 
“What's wrong?” Kagura asked as she moved her feather closer to the dragon as they neared the ground.
 
“Makia's hungry. Babies - pups can't wait.”
 
Kagura nodded and then looked at the twin pups in her feather. “Do you want to feed them too?”
 
“It'd be a good idea. That way they'll all be full and happy. Hopefully they'll sleep the rest of the way.”
 
Kagome felt the jolt as they touched the earth and felt the leathery snake like tail that wrapped around her and lifted her down to the earth at the dragon's side. The youkai had curled up on the ground, just as he had done in front of the castle when she napped at his side. He lifted the yellow bag out of his front talon and set it next to her, pushing it closer to her with his nose. At first Kagome was confused and then she understood.
 
“Oh no,” she said with a soft smile and petted his nose. “She can't eat that kind of food yet.” She watched the dragon's confused eyes look at her. “I feed her like this,” Kagome said and the dragon began to look away as she started to open the top of her kimono. “No, it's ok,” she said, her hand on the underside of his leathery chin as he turned his eyes back to her. “See,” she said as she opened her kimono, pushed down one side of the breast binder and put the crying pup to her breast. “This is how I feed her.”
 
The dragon watched in silent wonder as the tiny pup nursed upon her breast. Slowly, hesitantly, he brought his nose closer and sniffed at her, before pulling back and tilting his head in wonder. He hadn't, himself, been around other youkai or humans that gave live birth or whose mothers produced milk from their breasts. This was…well it was amazing to him…beautiful to him. When dragon pups hatched from their eggs they already had teeth and were ready for slightly solid food. Shredded meats and mashed fruits and vegetables were what they ate, but this? Milk from a mother's breast? This was truly a gift from the Kami; he'd never seen such before.
 
“Here are the other two,” Kagura said as the six month old twins struggled out of her arms and tried to pull themselves through the snow to their mother.
 
The dragon gave an amused grunt and carefully lifted the female twin out of the deep snow she'd fallen into by grasping the back of her clothing in his mouth and lifting her over to her mother. He did the same with the male twin and watched as they clambered up into their mother's lap to wait their turn.
 
Kagura watched Kagome with the dragon, watched as the nursing mother let him watch her feed her pups and the wind witch thought to herself that there truly was none other like that woman. She showed no fear and in fact became fast friends with a giant white dragon youkai in his true form. Not only that but she felt safe and comfortable sitting against his side, his wing covering her and keeping her safe from the falling snow and cold wind as she fed her pups from her breast while allowing the dragon to watch. In wasn't anything having to do with any sort of perversion, just a natural action, a natural ability that the woman was letting the dragon witness, his obvious wonder at such a thing making the dragon seem far more gentle to the nursing mother.
 
What was it about Kagome that gave her such an open heart? How was it that everything, human, animal, and all forms of youkai and mononoke were attracted to her? Was it her open heart that drew all near? Kagura shook her head in wonder as she watched Rin and Shippou play with Souta, the boy still adjusting to his youkai abilities, the speed and strength. Rin was already so much like Kagome and Kagura knew that having Kagome as a mother would only serve to make Rin as open hearted and gentle as the woman herself. The beauty of both females' spirits was unmatched and unchallenged. It seemed that all who met and were taken in by Kagome, as the woman did have an uncanny tendency to adopt several youkai and hanyou as friends, wanting nothing more than to be near and protect the woman to the best of their ability.
 
The dragon looked up when he heard a tired yawn and a soft sleep heavy moan, his blue eyes spotting Sango as she tried to remain awake while holding Kirara in her kitten form in her arms. Her stomach was huge with pup she held inside, her earlier estimation wrong. It wouldn't be another month before she would see her pup born, more like a week and the dragon could sense that. The cold wind that was blowing had picked up speed and Sango was shivering in the cold but gave no mention of her discomfort.
 
Reaching out with his right wing, the one that wasn't covering Kagome and her pups, he gently cupped it around Sango, and as the inuyoukai woman yawned heavily again he lifted her into the cradled that the wing created and brought her to his side. Had anyone seen the dragon taiyoukai sitting there in his true form, or had the youkai seen himself there would certainly be a great amount of disbelief to accompany the chuckles that were sure to come. There was the great and huge dragon taiyoukai, in his true form, lying in the snow with a mother and pups tucked under one wing and pregnant mother tucked under the other. Each time he turned his head to check on one or the other he would tuck his head underneath his wing to see them and looked for all the world like the dragon version of a mother hen sitting upon a nest and looking over her baby chicks.
 
His head remained tucked under the tent of his right wing as he watched Sango settle against his side, her eyes drooping tiredly and blinking slowly as she fought to keep them open. Giving her a gentle nudge with his nose he used his inner fire to raise his body heat and used the warmth to soothe her to sleep. It was a trick among dragons, one few other youkai knew about. White dragons, unlike their multicolored brethren, had both fire and ice lungs and could use on or the other at will, both at the same time if they were skilled enough.
 
Bringing his head out from underneath his right wing he looked to Ah-Un and gave low groans and a few growls to the two headed youkai dragon watching as the beast acknowledged his command before moving off. Turning, the dragon tucked his head under his left wing and looked to see her feeding the larger female pup, the male pup holding the tiny female hanyou infant in his arms as they both slept curled up in a ball under the hollow made by his shoulder. Kagome, he could tell, was growing tired too and he wondered just how much more energy it took to be a mother to pups such as hers.
 
They were nothing like dragon pups, unlike dragon pups, which were hatched in their true form, these pups kept their humanoid form and couldn't feed themselves yet. These three little pups couldn't stand yet, the older infants just barely learning how to crawl. By this time dragon pups would already be learning how to use their wings and being taught to hunt, as they would remain in their true form until they were halfway grown. But these tiny little pups, they were so very, very tiny compared to newly hatched dragon pups. A dragon pup could survive without its mother, but these pups very clearly couldn't.
 
Gently, after Kagome had readjusted her breast binder into place and closed her kimono, he nudged her to rest against his side by nuzzling the side of his snout against her shoulder. He was gentle with her, so very gentle, and one wouldn't recognize him if they didn't know who he was. After his mate had died, already the fiercest warrior, he had become more so, most of his gentleness dropping away as he took on the role of leader in avenging his mate's and all of his clan females' deaths. How had this one tiny human girl made him so very gentle again in moments with seemingly no effort, he wondered as he watched her yawn and watched as she and her pups, the three bodies curled up around each other, fell asleep.
 
Bringing his head back out from underneath his left wing, he saw that Ah-Un had already formed quite a pile of wood between himself and their self. Ah-Un was curled up on the ground in much the same way that the dragon taiyoukai was, Rin, Shippou, Souta and Tokumori resting against him, the two youngest napping as the two older ones talked softly to each other, Souta holding the female badger youkai in his arms. The sky had already begun to darken moments before Makia had begged to be fed and now the only thing keeping them lit was the full moon and stars reflecting off the snow.
 
Nudging the pile of sticks into a more circular pile, he blew out a soft breath near the base and lit the wood ablaze. They would stay there for the night, he decided, instead of just taking a short rest. Both mothers were tired out, and so were the pups. It wouldn't hurt to stay the night before continuing on once again in the morning and he would be the first to sense if any danger were to approach them. Watching and waiting as Souta and the girl fell asleep in each others' arms, his jaws opened wide as he released his own yawn, his giant pink tongue curling and his lips pulling back to reveal deadly sharp teeth. His jaw snapped closed with an audible clack as his teeth met and he watched and listened as Ah-Un, used to such long journeys, told him to sleep that they would keep watch, Kagura sitting near them as she too kept the night vigil.
 
Nodding to the two headed youkai beast, the dragon blinked tired blue eyes, and tucked his head under his left wing as he joined the others in sleep.
 
 
 
A.N: Short, I know, bear with me.