InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Always ❯ Chapter 13 ( Chapter 13 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Always
 
Chapter 13
 
 
 
 
Kouga squatted, examining the flower. He held the petals in his palm, careful not to damage the delicate, velvety blossom.
 
“Yeah, it's star-shaped. This is it,” he called down to Kagome.
 
“Okay! I guess just try to pull the whole thing out, roots and all,” she yelled, trying to overcome the roar of the water crashing on the rocks.
 
Kouga nodded, and, inspecting the plant, pulled it gently from the crevice it had grown from. He stood, triumphant, holding the plant up for Kagome to see. Kagome giggled, then stared as Kouga stood there, looking puzzled.
 
“Er, Kouga?” she said.
 
He looked down at her, bewildered. “Um… how do I get down without damaging the flower?” he asked.
 
Kagome held a finger up to her mouth, considering the options. Jumping down to the rock shelf had been easy. It didn't require much. But the waterfall was easily 100 feet tall, and even the power of the shards couldn't propel Kouga's legs to leap from the perch he stood on to the top. And neither of them wanted to risk jumping down; if he missed the bank, the flower could be damaged.
 
“Hmm, that is a problem,” she said to herself.
 
“Yeah, that's why I'm still here…” Kouga shouted to her.
 
Damn youkai and their super-hearing… she thought to herself, scowling up at the wolf demon. “Okay, if he jumps into the water, the star-flower will probably fall apart,” she said softly, pacing in the shallow water. Kouga nodded, hearing her although she had spoken to herself again. “And even if I go up there, he can't hand it to me…” She continued to pace, kicking the sand as she walked through the water. Looking up at the waterfall, she studied it.
 
“How about that small rock over there? Do you think you can jump to it? It looks like you might be able to reach the top from it?” she called to him, pointing to the left.
 
Kouga gazed to his right, spying a rock half the size of the one he was currently standing on. He looked back at Kagome, a little shamed. “Er, are there any other ways?”
 
Kagome looked around. “Um, no. It doesn't look like it. It's ok, Kouga. You can do it! I know you can.”
 
Kouga nodded, looking back to the small rock. Okay, here goes… Kouga grasped the plant, squatted, and leaped. With feet placed tightly together, Kouga landed neatly on the tiny stone with barely an inch on either side. Kagome let out a breath she hadn't known she was holding. As she opened her eyes, she watched in terror as a foot slipped on the slippery, mossy rock. He began to fall, and as he dropped, the hand that wasn't holding the flower gripped the rock, his claws digging into the stone. Kagome let out a scream, and Kouga struggled to hold on to the slickness of the small rock. Kouga groaned, straining to maintain his grip, then began to pull, lifting his body slowly.
 
Kagome could hear him growl with the exertion, but it wasn't the same growl she had heard earlier. This was a feral, desperate growl. She subconsciously placed her hands on her face, watching as the wolf prince worked to keep his hold while attempting to pull himself up. Kagome suffered; she felt as if she was being held down by imaginary hands. It wasn't her first time feeling like this. She was a veteran to feeling powerless. She tried to focus. I have to do something… Kagome jumped into the water, swimming further into the lake until she was floating just before the rocks the water smashed unto.
 
“Kouga!” she screamed. “Kouga, let go of the flower! I'll catch it! Then you can pull yourself up!”
 
Reluctantly, Kouga dropped the flower, opting to trust the woman he loves. Kagome watched it fall- it was almost like someone had pushed the `slow-motion' button - then watched as the updraft created by the falls carried the plant further up. It had surpassed the actual falling point, being transported on the wind. Now being heavier than the natural wind, it dropped, landing on the ground near the river. Alarmed, Kagome dashed, heading for the steep wall that led to the area above.
 
“No! It's too dangerous!” Kouga called to the miko.
 
Paying no attention, Kagome scrambled up the cliff, using little jutting pieces as steps to lift her. As she ascended, Kouga was attempting to pull himself up. But the boulder was too small, and he couldn't get a hold of the whole rock, so he decided to fall. He closed his eyes, and let go. Kagome reached the top, pulling herself up. She looked down at Kouga, only to see him falling towards the rocks below. Their eyes connected, and then he was gone, descended into the lake.
 
“KOUGA!” she screamed, now regretting her hasty climb. She scanned the water, looking for a sign of his success, but he did not appear. The seconds ticked away, and tears began to roll down her cheeks. No… it can't be… we just… I was finally happy… She dropped to her knees, forgetting the reason she had climbed the rocky cliff in the first place. After a few minutes of crying out for him, Kagome felt something on her shoulder. Sobbing, she looked at the offending touch, seeing a clawed hand with furry wrists. Following it up to a face, she jumped up, embracing Kouga in a tight hug.
 
“Did you think anything could separate me from you now that we're together?” he said, smiling softly at her.
 
Kagome sobbed harder, her tears joining his already wet chest. He cooed softly, holding her trembling body until the tears subsided. When she was able to look at him, she noticed that he also had the flower in his hand. He's that fast. He cupped her chin in his palm, and kissed her. Kagome put her head on his chest, and he held her close for a few moments, then scooped her up, and jumped down to the lake to get Kagome's yellow back pack. Then, they began the journey back to the wolf caves, in the north.
 
 
A few hours later, while walking, Kouga asked Kagome if she wanted to visit her friends again on the way. Kagome shook her head, explaining that she wasn't ready for another confrontation. Well, at least InuYasha. She did want to see Sango, Kaede, Shippou, and even Miroku. But she felt bad about her last conversation with the white-haired hanyou. So Kagome walked in silence, rolling her thoughts over in her mind.
 
Kouga didn't like how quiet she was being. The miko was usually so chipper and chatty. But after his last question, she had become so silent. He could smell the confusion surrounding her. But the reasoning behind it had him puzzled. Is she still thinking of InuYasha? But how could she have given herself to me if she still had feelings for him? No. Not my Kagome. She wouldn't do that. But then, why is she so worried and anxious? Suddenly, he felt a hand on his arm. He looked up to find Kagome looking at him, worried.
 
“What's wrong? I thought I had a lot on my mind, but it looks like you do too,” she said.
 
The wolf demon shook his head. “Nothing,” he lied, “I'm just worried about my clan. I hope we can save them.”
 
Kagome squeezed his bicep a little and smiled. “Everything will work out. We have the remedy, and winter is still a few weeks away, so it's still warm enough for them to recover. I'm sure they'll all have a speedy recovery…” she said. She let go of his arm, and they walked in silence for some time.
 
***
 
They had settled into a routine of chores for camp: Kouga would find something to eat as well as fetch water; Kagome would find firewood and build a fire. They shared the cooking and cleaning responsibilities as well, often trading off. The only thing that was different was that there wasn't really any conversation between them. Kagome had moved her thoughts on to her family, and what she was going to do when they accomplished their mission. She still didn't know if she was going to stay with Kouga, or if the pull of her friends was stronger. She mused about this, wondering if the reason she didn't want to see them was that she was afraid that she wouldn't be able to go back with Kouga. But the thought of being away from him for so long was almost painful. What was this feeling? She couldn't wait to get away from InuYasha. Why was there an aching, burning feeling in her chest when she thought of going home for a week? Maybe I'm coming down with something, she thought as she walked next to him. Maybe too much time in the water has made me sick. Because I think I'm going crazy….
 
The miko watched her companion as he scanned the area, searching for a safe place to spend the night. She felt like something was wrong. His appearance wasn't calm, as usual. It was stern; he looked as if he was troubled. Kagome turned to face him. His expression tore at Kagome's heart. She sighed and surprisingly, felt better. “Kouga, what's bothering you?”
 
“You. I mean, not you, but the fact that you've been upset. I can't stand not knowing what's bothering you. I know you're worried for my pack, but I feel like there's more than that,” he informed her.
 
Kagome let out another sigh. “All right. I guess I would have to talk to you sometime,” she said, closing her eyes and letting her head fall and her shoulders slump.
 
Kouga's heart dropped into his toes, dreading what he felt was the worst; she wasn't happy and was going back to InuYasha. He watched her intensely, lips slightly parted in apprehension.
 
“Well, I don't know how to say this,” she started. Thump, thump, went Kouga's heart. “Um, so, I really don't know if I want to stay at the caves.” Thumpthump. “I just don't know…” Thu-thump thu-thump. “I might want to stay with my friends. You know, we've been hunting Naraku together for so long…” Thumpthump. “It's just that, Sango is like a sister; and Miroku is like a big brother, albeit a perverted big brother.” His expressions began to relax. “Shippou is like my little brother, and Kaede has been like a grandmother to me. You know, I never knew my grandmother…” Thump, thump. “And InuYasha…” Ththumpththumpththumpththump. “Well, I guess he's kind of like my grandfather,” Kagome giggled. Thump. Kouga cocked his head in a manner that made Kagome think of one of her friends' dogs, in her time. It made her laugh a little harder. Thump, thump. He continued to stay silent, allowing time for an explanation. “You see, he's always worrying and yelling, even though he means well. And he really has no clue…” Kagome rolled her eyes, and Kouga burst out laughing. “Hey, what's so funny?”
 
Kouga tried to control his laughter, but every so often, one would seep through his words. “Sorry, Kagome. It's just that, I was worried you had changed your mind. This isn't that bad. First, I know you'll make the right choice. Second, even if you do go back with the demonslayer and monk and all, I'll still see you. Hell, I'll MAKE time,” he said, crooking a finger under the preistess' chin, lifting her eyes to meet his. “Plus, when you have some time, we can have our own alone time.”
 
“Really?” she said, incredulously. “You wouldn't be mad?”
 
Kouga chuckled. “No. Kagome,” he said, lowering his voice slightly and taking her hands in his, “to me, you're like a cat. In order to keep you happy, you have to be free. But when you need me or just want a hug or whatever, you'll come to me. I know your friends are important. You're a very loyal person - that's one of the things I love about you.” He reached up, grabbing a lock of her hair and twirling it between his fingers. “My pack is just as important to me, so I understand how you feel…” he trailed off, looking off to the side. “Even if that means you traveling with dog breath.” Kagome laughed, and Kouga looked up at her, surprised to hear her amusement.
 
Kagome tenderly brushed her fingers along his cheek. “Kouga,” she purred, “thank you. That means so much that you understand and trust me. But I still haven't made my decision. But whatever I choose, I want you to know…” she paused, searching for the words, “Tada soba ni iru kara”*
 
Kouga looked up sharply into her eyes, finding them quivering with emotion. He grabbed her and pulled her close, closing his eyes. They stayed like that for a few moments, and feeling the strength in both of their statements, he let go. Kagome stood on her tiptoes, giving him a soft kiss. Then, without warning, she took off running, following the river and laughing. Crazy girl… the wolf prince thought entertainingly. He waited a few minutes, letting her run far. She had great endurance, but not even Sesshoumaru could run faster than him. So he waited. Finally, he took off, trying not to run too fast. Within ten seconds, he not only caught up to her, but scooped her up, running with Kagome in his arms. They were both still laughing when he set her down, and she thanked him for letting her walk. She grabbed his hand, and they walked towards the north, holding each other's hand.
 
***
 
“He still won't tell you?” Sango asked the monk, trying not to sound very un-surprised.
 
Miroku shook his head. “No. And he gets very upset when I bring it up. I'm sure something bad happened. He's acting like something traumatized him, in the least,” he said wisely.
 
“Hmm…” the taijiya said, wondering if she should give it a crack. “I think I should try…” she started, the priest cutting her off.
 
“No, Sango. I'll try again in a while; I don't think he'll talk to you about what happened.”
 
She nodded, agreeing with the monk, then slapping him when she felt a familiar warmth against her rear.
 
“I couldn't help it, Sango,” he said sheepishly, rubbing his face, “All this talk about emotions… I wanted to touch you again…”
 
“Not there,” she said menacingly.
 
***
 
“Er, Kagome?” Kouga asked.
 
“Yes?”
 
“Will I ever get to meet your family?” he asked innocently. “I mean, you know my tribe and all, but how would I ever meet yours?”
 
Kagome giggled at the notion of her family being a `tribe', and then pondered the question. “Well, I never met your actual family. You know, your mom and dad. But I don't know if you can ever come back to my time. I don't know if the well will accept you like it does InuYasha…”
 
Kouga had been nodding sadly along with her answers, but his head snapped up. “Wait. You mean InuYasha has been to your time?” he said, shocked.
 
“Er… well…”
 
“He's met your family? How many times has he gone?” Kouga asked, scowling.
 
Kagome thought she heard a hint of anger in his voice. “Yeah, they all know him there. I don't know, he's been there lots of times. He was there when I was in a school play, when that demon came and tried to bring that ghost girl to hell… probably 15 times or so. Does it matter?” she asked, a little shakily.
“I just don't understand why that mutt can follow you there…” he began.
 
“And you can't? I don't know. I don't even know if you can follow me to my time… I've always thought it was because of the subduing spell. We're connected because of it. But, who knows. It could be anything…” she mused. She could see the hurt in his eyes.
 
The wolf demon dropped his head, closing his eyes.
 
Kagome wasn't sure why he was upset, or if he had a reason to be, but he looked wounded, and she didn't like the feeling it incurred. She placed a hand on his shoulder, and he opened his eyes, looking into hers.
 
“Kouga? I'm sorry, I don't know why you're upset… but I don't like it. What can I do?” she pleaded.
 
Kouga shook his head, feeling bad that he made her feel the way she does. “No, I'm sorry. I don't have a right. I'm just… I just… you've always been so close to InuYasha. And the thought of him meeting your family… I just feel like I'm the outsider. Like… you should be with InuYasha, and I'm the hopeless courter.”
 
Kagome felt like his words were taking her into a black hole to the past… a Bone-eater's well for feelings. It had been like that, hadn't it? She had wanted to be with InuYasha, and she felt like the hanyou had wanted to be with her, which was why he always came to her time, even if his intention was to wait for her. Countless times he had stayed with her there - protecting her, eating with her family, helping her brother, Souta… She had believed that he kept coming because he liked her family, and possibly wanted to become a part of it. And now… now that he had made up his mind and chosen her, she had rejected him. Oh my gosh… he must be crushed. Kagome felt like her heart was being broken, trampled, squeezed, and ripped in two at the same time. Turning back to the wolf youkai, she realized that now she knew how InuYasha must have felt; having two people to choose between. Kouga was like Kikyou; insistent and determined. InuYasha was more like Kagome; reserved and quiet with their feelings. Well, I'm not that quiet, but compared to Kikyou… But even so, it had always been about InuYasha. And Kouga had been the other man - the one that hadn't had a chance. Just like how Kagome hadn't had a chance against Kikyou. But Kouga had won her over, and Kagome had won InuYasha over. So what was the right thing to do? Was taking Kikyou's place the proper thing? Or was Kouga the correct path? Kagome, overwhelmed with her thoughts, dropped to the ground. She brought her knees to her chest, and hugged her legs, crying. What had felt so great and carefree now felt dirty, tainted by the black cloud of parallel relationships that loomed over her.
 
She closed her eyes, sobbing quietly, and Kouga could do nothing but watch. He knew that it hadn't been his words that had made her upset, but the realization of their truth. But what did it mean? Would she go back to InuYasha now? Would things go back to how they always were? Kouga could only hope, and wait.
 
***
 
Miroku stood next to the tree InuYasha was perched in, wondering exactly what it was he was going to say to the hanyou. He scowled, not wanting to have to speak of relationships with the half-demon, but also not wanting the woman he loves to have to be subjected to InuYasha's anger. Because everyone knew that InuYasha can not speak to anyone about how he feels about a certain girl without angering him. The priest let out a collective sigh, leaning against the tree. InuYasha's ears twitched; sitting with his eyes closed, he knew Miroku was there by scent, but now that he heard the sigh, he knew the monk was going to speak to him. What the hell did he want? InuYasha could tell he didn't want to speak to him, but he was reluctantly going to anyways. Miroku cleared his throat, and InuYasha opened his eyes and rolled them.
 
“InuYasha, is there something bothering you?” he said tenderly.
 
“Why would'ya think that?” the hanyou growled.
 
“Because you've been pouting in this tree for four days, and because you've killed every demon in the vicinity with your bare hands without letting us help you?” Miroku answered.
 
“Keh… Whatever. I just wanna find Naraku.”
 
Miroku sighed again.
 
“Well, yes. We all do. But it would help if we had Kagome back before we continue our search,” he suggested.
 
At the sound of the miko's name, InuYasha's ears perked. “What the hell do we need her for?!” he shouted.
 
Ah, a sore spot. So it is Kagome that is bothering him
 
“InuYasha, Kagome is a valuable asset to our team. Besides the fact that she can see the Shikon Jewel shards, she has become quite good with her bow, and…”
 
“Dammit, Miroku! We don't need her! We'll find the shards and Naraku without her! Now leave me the fuck alone!” InuYasha roared, jumping down from the tree to face Miroku head on.
 
Miroku, not impressed with the tone and volume of the half-demon's voice, pressed on. “Well, InuYasha, whether you want her or not, Sango and I enjoy her company, and we would like to wait for her. So unless there is some other problem, we are going to await Kagome's arrival.”
 
InuYasha stood silent. Miroku, seeing an opportunity, decided to strike.
 
“Is there a problem, InuYasha?” he asked cautiously.
 
InuYasha slumped a little, looking away. Miroku, knowing how delicately a conversation with the hanyou needed to be handled, just closed his eyes and waited for an answer.
 
A few minutes went by, and breeze picked up InuYasha's white strands, carrying them until the wind died. Finally, he too, sighed.
 
“I think Kagome is gonna stay with Kouga. I don't think she's coming back. I've lost her. Forever,” he told Miroku softly.
 
Miroku put a hand on his shoulder. “InuYasha, women are fragile creatures. They love unconditionally. But if they are not shown love in return, or worse, if they are betrayed, then their heart becomes vulnerable. We are lucky our Kagome's heart did not break, with the pressures she was under. If she has found what she sought, we should be happy for her.”
 
InuYasha didn't respond, and Miroku felt he wasn't helping. “InuYasha, what I mean is, Kagome would not have been able to take much more of your indecisiveness. She was always on edge, wondering if we were going to run into Kikyou, or if you were ever going to acknowledge your feelings for her, or…”
 
“I know! I told her! I fucking told her that I chose her and she went and helped Kouga instead. She gave up on me. So it doesn't matter how I feel anymore. I just wanna… go.”
 
InuYasha bounded off, leaving a stunned Miroku in the field. As the hanyou disappeared in the forest, Miroku turned, and walked back to where Sango was. He explained to her what InuYasha had told him.
 
“So, you think she's really gone for good?” Sango asked, her eyes betraying the brave face she was wearing.
 
Miroku shook his head. “I don't know, Sango. If she had gone as far as to tell InuYasha that she had given up on him, then perhaps she isn't coming back. On the other hand,” he added, “Kagome has never let us down. She was my first true friend…”
 
“…Mine too,” Sango chimed in.
 
“And I don't think she would abandon us that easily,” he finished.
 
Sango nodded. “If I know Kagome, she's probably worried about how InuYasha is going to react when she comes back. So even if she does join us, there is probably going to be a confrontation,” she considered.
 
Understatement of the year… Miroku thought to himself.
 
***
 
Kagome had finished her silent sobbing, and Kouga offered his hand to her. She took it, and stood. Brushing herself off, she suddenly felt very foolish about the way she had broken down and cried. There had been no good reason for it. It didn't change how she felt about Kouga or InuYasha. She looked up to find Kouga staring at her, watching her movements. Which was very unlike Kouga. Yes, he liked to watch her, but he was always so… vocal. And right now, he was being rather quiet. Kagome fidgeted under the silent pressure. This only piqued his interest, eyeing her more intently. Which made Kagome fidget more…
 
Finally, Kouga stepped closer to her. “You're so jumpy all of a sudden. What's going on?” he asked cautiously, raising an eyebrow.
 
Well, being under demon scrutiny after I've broken down doesn't bode well with me… “I was just uncomfortable. With the situation. I don't want to think right now. I just want to… go. Can we just go?” she asked, exhausted. Dark circles were forming under her already puffy eyes, and Kouga worried for her.
 
“Allright, if that's what you want. Are you sure you don't want to rest? It's getting late and…”
 
Kagome interrupted with a nod. “Hai. When it's time to camp, we will. But for now, I just want to get back. To the caves. I think we've wasted too much time already,” she said tiredly, as she began walking.
 
To Kouga, she looked like she was barely swinging her legs in front of her to keep moving. But, he had been hurt by her words, so he opted not to say anything more. Wasted too much time? On what? Was she talking about the waterfall? Or did she think that our mating was a waste of time? Or mabe she thinks being with me is a waste? Has she changed her mind? With so many questions on his mind, all Kouga could do was absent-mindedly follow after the girl, and they walked on.
 
After a few hours of walking in silence, they were both tired of thinking, and welcomed the coming sunset. Darkness threatened to engulf them; Kouga began to search for a place to make camp, and recognizing the area, set off. Kagome stood alone, one hand holding onto the opposite arm. Is this right? Am I supposed to be here with Kouga? Or was InuYasha my destiny? Sighing, Kagome slumped to the ground, holding her head in her hands. She reflected on the day's events; she amazed herself over the fact that she wasn't a virgin anymore. And she was actually proud of it, stirring feelings that she had forgotten. There were no regrets, even with whom it had happened. She mulled over the time InuYasha had come to the Yourouzoku caves, fighting Kouga and injuring both of them. She subconsciously rubbed her shoulder, feeling the scabs that were now hard and healing. He had only come when he thought I was hurt. He had been with Kikyou, until the possibility that I had been in danger. What if it had been the other way around? What am I saying… it has been that way. He's been with me, only to leap away when he thought something was wrong with Kikyou. He'll always be like that. He's upset now, and he has a right to be. But someone doesn't choose who they want to be with overnight… Pausing in her thoughts, Kagome thought of her own situation. Well, that took a few nights, she told herself, giggling internally. Seriously, though, I don't think he's really changed his mind. Maybe he's finally accepted his feelings for me, which would have been great, but he'll never change his mind about Kikyou. Even though a small part of me had wished Kikyou to be gone from this world, it would never change anything. I can't take InuYasha's feelings or replace them. So all I can do is move on, with
 
As if on cue, Kouga appeared in her line of vision. He smiled gently, and it made her feel warm again. She stood, smiling back at him. Sensing a lighter mood, Kouga ran to her.
 
“I thought it looked familiar… I found that rocky area we slept in a few nights ago. We should…” he paused, eyeing her shoulder. “Is your shoulder bothering you?” he asked, frowning.
 
“Huh?” she said, not understanding where his line of thought had gone. She twisted her neck, craning to look at her whole shoulder. She noticed the area was a little pink, and a few scratch marks. “Oh… No, I had been thinking of your fight, and I must have been playing with my shoulder, not noticing…” she stopped, becoming aware that his frown had turned into a scowl. “I mean, I had been thinking of how stupid InuYasha was being, starting a fight over nothing, and then hurting you, and me.” She didn't even comprehend her own words, much less think about how Kouga would interpret them.
 
“Why are you thinkin' of stuff like that? It's waste of time…” he said, trailing off as he turned away from Kagome.
 
Kagome, saddened by his reaction, just stepped in front of him, facing the demon. “I was just thinking of everything we've been through. All the pain, all the good things…” she said sadly. Then, she turned and walked towards the direction Kouga had just come from, hoping to stumble upon the little area of boulders that had been so close to the river. Kouga looked after her, watching her delicate frame walk away. Her gait had sadness tangled within it, and he suddenly felt awful for snapping at her.
 
He ran after her, opting to stride alongside her than to pick her up. Kagome can be temperamental about man-handling… He chuckled, and Kagome spun her head in his direction. She was scowling now, and it frightened the wolf prince.
 
“Er, I was just thinking about… um…” at a loss for words, Kouga stood there, stunned.
 
Kagome, realizing that their intended good moods shouldn't be trampled upon, turned her frown into a gentle smile. Reassuring him, she asked to be taken to the campsite.
 
When they arrived a number of minutes later, Kagome instantly felt the need to take a bath, despite all the water she had been in already that day. She placed her things down, digging through her bag. Kouga watched her for a few moments, admiring her beauty. Inadvertently, he was reminded of her bath here, when she had easily slid over the rocks, washing herself. He remembered her smell of arousal, and found himself wishing he could smell it again. He wandered over to her, looming above her huddled body. Kagome suddenly became very aware of his proximity, and she stood, turning to face him. Without warning, he grabbed her shoulders and passionately pressed his lips against hers; at first she had been angry and was going to smack him, but she enveloped herself in his touch and melted in his arms. Just as her arms traveled to wrap themselves around Kouga's neck, he released her, and she pouted, watching his retreating figure as he waved without looking back, calling to her.
 
“I'll be right back. I'm gonna find us something to eat.”
 
She slumped, suddenly feeling alone in more than one sense. She had felt the warmth that had spread in her body, and the tingling had arisen. And now, watching him walk away, she felt empty.
 
Kouga, now a good distance away, smiled. She had wanted me again… he said to himself, a wicked grin spreading across his face. Well, we can grant her wish, after we eat… And he took off into the forest, his hunger for her body fueling his hunt.