InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Be Careful What You Say ❯ Chapter Eighteen: Reflection ( Chapter 18 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Chapter Eighteen

A/N: As the saying goes, "Life is what happens when you make other plans." Been very busy lately, and have had a death in the family. ( wife's aunt - very lovely lady) Anyway, I'm back. By the way, is it just me, or has media miner been acting wierd lately? Oh well, enough about my troubles. Time to continue Inuyasha's problems. Speaking of our favorite dog boy, I don't own him, he's only with me on loan.

Toshiro paced his chamber restlessly. This day had not gone as well as he would have liked. He took a deep breath and let it out slowly. It was good to see Kaede. He smiled ruefully to himself. It was just too bad that he had acted like such a love struck fool. He was the clan elder, by all the gods! And he had acted like a teenager in love for the first time! And then that damn hanyou had dared to make that accusation!

Flashback

"You are forcing her to pay for it with her body, just like a whore!" Inuyasha screamed the last.

The accusation rang in Toshiro's ears. He felt the blood drain from his face with the shock of it, then he saw red as the fury at the charge set in. 'How dare this insolent hanyou accuse me of such a thing!' On the verge of ordering Inuyasha's death, he saw the look on Kagome's face. She had buried her face in her hands and was weeping. The little kitsune in her lap looked hurt. "All I asked is what's a whore. Please, momma Kagome, don't cry! I'm sorry!" The child thought this was his fault! And what did he mean by ' momma Kagome'?

Kaede went to Kagome and the kitsune cub. She paced a hand on Kagome's shoulder, "Hush, child. Inuyasha was not calling thee a whore. Calm thyself and lets get this sorted out."

Now Inuyasha looked striken. "Please Kagome. I didn't think that you would believe I thought that of you! I was just trying to get this old goat to realize what he was doing. I don't think that you are,"he paused, thinking quickly, "what I said earlier." he finished in a rush. "Shippo." Inuyasha addressed the little kitsune, "Don't ask Kagome about that for now. If you really want to know what it is, ask Miroku."

"I resent the implication in that, Inuyasha!" said Miroku flatly.

Kagome looked up from her crying. She had stopped for the most part and was trying not to laugh at Inuyasha and Miroku while crying.

Inuyasha caught her look and took on an air of satisfaction. "Good. I was able to get you to smile. I really am sorry, my love. I wouldn't accuse you of such a thing in this world, but he is trying to get you to pay for his cure with your body and that infuriates me!"

Toshiro could listen to no more. He stormed from the group and went to his chambers.

End Flashback

He had been so furious at first that he had nearly ordered Inuyasha's execution! Now, in the privacy of his chambers, he could think. Gods, this was so complicated! It had seemed so easy at first. This naive young miko coming to him for help and willing to do whatever it took to help her friend. Whatever he thought, it didn't change the fact that this was like a gift from the heavens. This beautiful young and unmarried miko had stepped into his house, begging favors and willing to pay his price for them. Looking back, it tasted bad in his mouth. The wanting of her to join his clan was acceptable and could benefit the child, espescially if what the monk and Sango had told him was true. It was the forcing of marriage into the deal that had made it bad. "I wouldn't have had her marry a monster." he mused to himself.

"No one thought that, Father." came Nagura's voice from the doorway.

Started, Toshiro spun towards his son's voice.

His son bowed slightly, "Forgive the intrusion, Father. But we must talk."

"I agree. There is much to be decided this night, and as my eldest, you should be here."

"Father," began Nagura, "I have a favor to ask. Actually, I have two, but the second depends on your answer to the first."

"Ask and I shall answer."

"I wish to be Kagome's adopted father."

Toshiro smiled slightly. "You anticipate me, my son! I had already thought to make her your daughter, with your consent, that is. You wish to learn of the healing arts she possesses?"

"Yes, Father! And I wish to teach her some that she does not know. She has the potential to be a geater healer than me!"

"High praise, my son! I have my doubts to that about that, though."

"I do not. But since you have approved my first favor, hear then my second. Release my daughter from the vow to marry someone of your choice."

Sigh "I have to think about that one, Nagura. I have had plans for this clan for so long that I don't know if I can let them go that easy."

"Very well, Father. I won't pester you about it. Now, what about this old woman, who you claim to love?" Nagura's voice got cold.

"Watch your tone with me, Nagura!" admonished Toshiro. "You may be an adult and my second-in-command, but you will address me with more respect!"

"You haven't answered my question."

"Kaede was my first and only love. I met her long before the marriage between your mother and I. And, to answer your next question, your mother and I were partners and companions. We cared about each other, but I never had the passionate feelings for her that I had for Kaede. Ours was an arranged marriage, my son. You cannot expect passion from such a bonding!"

"Perhaps it is unreasonable of me, Father, but I had always thought you loved Mother."

"In a way, I did. But I love Kaede more."

"Father ... I will talk with you later. To continue now might bring about an argument I don't want. I shall go now but please keep my request for Kagome in mind."

"Very well, Nagura. Sleep well. We shall talk again later. Who knows, we might even come up with a solution."