InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Beauty and the Beast, Inuyasha Style!! ❯ Into the Cursed Forest ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Chapter 1

*~*~*~*~*

Long, long ago, there was a beautiful kingdom, ruled by a kind and generous king, who was also just and fair. He lived in a large castle in a forest with his only son, and many of his loyal subjects.

The prince was a proud but kind boy, and as he grew, the king set out messengers to find a suitable bride for his son. At last, news came that a neighbouring kingdom was also looking for a match for their princess, who was beautiful, gentle, kind and possessed a great power. The king swiftly sent out his proposal, and an arrangement for a meeting was made.

Now, not all of the subjects in this kingdom were loyal to the king, and one in particular was especially viscous. He was an advisor to the court, and possessed a smooth tongue and a vile thirst for power. Moreover, he despised and envied the king and his son, and plotted and schemed many plans to overturn the throne. With the arrival of the princess, he saw his chance.

Slowly, and ever so slyly, he befriended the girl, playing on her homesickness and her desire to be free again. With his smooth lies and slippery words he poisoned her mind and began to turn her against her husband to be. Indeed, the prince himself, being very proud, stubborn and quick to temper, yet innocent as to be unable to suspect that someone would use such vile methods for such a vile reason, played right into the advisor's hands. Bit by bit, little by little, the princess was turned against the prince and towards the advisor. Then, one day, the princess dropped her guard on the precious gem in her possession, which was the source of all her power, and the advisor seized it.

Using the power of the gem, he cursed the young prince, turning him into a mad demon with white hair, dog's ears and sharp fangs and claws. He rampaged through the castle, blindly killing all he met up with, and mortally wounding the king. At last, they managed to trap him in the deepest dungeon of the prison, and the greatest sorcerers and magicians in the kingdom were summoned to try to break the curse on the young prince. It was only the master blacksmith, however, who was able to lend any aid. Using the most powerful sealing magic, he created a sword which returned the prince back to his original mind. Nothing, however, could be done for his body.

Cursed, angry and with heavy guilt at the crimes he had committed, the prince sought out the evil advisor, took back the princess's magic gem, and cast him into the dungeon to await his punishment. The gem, however, had been so long in the advisors dark presence that it could no longer be used for good, and could also not lift the curse it had cast. There was only one way to lift the curse, and that was with a love more powerful than the evil that cast it. In despair, the prince told the princess to return to her kingdom. No one could learn to love a demon, such as he, and he did not wish to make her miserable.

At this, the princess saw how deeply she had been deceived, and, although she did not love him, felt pity and guilt at her actions. She promised him that one day, he would find the one he loved, who also returned his love in full, and the spell would be broken. Then, using the remainder of the gem's power, she turned all the prince's faithful subjects into demons, so that he might not be lonely, and left to return to her homeland.

Days turned into weeks, weeks turned into months, years, and decades. The forest became thick, and the unused roads, overrun with trees and bushes. Slowly, the castle and the story surrounding it became only a legend, and all that remained was the forest of the dog-demon, Inu-yasha.

*~*~*~*~*

//Author's note: Here I switch to script form, because it's easier, and more interesting than writing "something" he said and then "Other thing" she replied with "Insert emotion here." When done right, I believe it can be just as effective as writing in classical past tense, if not more so. It allows the reader more freedom to fill in the blanks, and interpret a characters thoughts when he or she "doesn't" say something. In the beginning I will periodically state the format from time to time, but after a few chapters, I suspect you'll get it so I won't need to.//

//I have drawn a few pictures to illustrate some scenes, characters, etc. When there is one it will be posted on my homepage. Just a quick note though, it's not MY homepage, it belongs to Chrislberry, who was kind enough to post these pics and story for me. Thank you Christine! P.S. You can access this page from the link on my personal page. Just click on my name beside the story.//

(Actions)

thoughts:.....

Speech:

*~*~*~*~*

(Scene changes to a view of the Higurashi shrine surrounded by plastered stone walls with a red tiled roof. It sits on a hill with the forest behind it, facing the dirt road that runs in front of it. Beyond that in the lowlands, several large fields spread out and a tiny village can be seen. It's evening and the sky is orange, as are all the leaves on the autumn trees.)

(Close up of Grandpa, looking like he always does, sweeping the stones by the front gate and looking rather annoyed.)

Grandpa: Damn him, he's late with my order, and he's usually so good with timing too...

Kagome: Grandpa!

(Kagome comes up with Souta running behind. Kagome has her white blouse on, but her green skirt it full length and there is a thin green shawl tied loosely around her shoulders (A/N see a pic of Kagome on homepage). Souta is also wearing some old style clothing.)

Kagome: Grandpa, Mama and Grandma said to tell you that dinner is ready, so hurry up, okay?

Souta: We're having Oden tonight, so if you don't come soon, Kagome will eat it all up.

Kagome: Hey, what's that supposed to mean?

Souta: What? Since you like Oden so much, you usually eat a lot of it. You're lucky we don't have it every night, cause if we did, you'd be fat! He he!

(He runs up to Grandpa, leaving Kagome behind with a popped vein mark on her forehead.)

Kagome Grrrrrrr....

Souta (tugging at Grandpa's arm): Come one Grandpa, let's go!!

Grandpa: W-Wait! Can't you see I'm waiting for a very important parcel to arrive! I have to be here when it comes!

Kagome (somewhat surprised face): Eh? What type of parcel?

Grandpa (closing eyes and going into lecture mode): It's a very strong magic seal which was used to restrain demons in the middle ages. It's history starts with an inventor who was...

Kagome (still looking irked): That's nice Grandpa, but, the parcel...it isn't Kouga who's bringing it, is it?

Grandpa (looking indignant and crossing his arms): Of course it is! Who else would I trust with such an important package? Ah, here he is now!

(On cue Kouga pulls up infront of the gate driving a large carriage which is mostly empty by now. He is wearing good looking old style work cloths, indicating that he has some money, and is completely human. He leaps down as confident as ever.)

Kouga: Hey! Grandpa, long time no see! Here's your package like as promised.

Grandpa (Starry eyed): You came all the way out here yourself for that? And such a busy man like yourself too...

Kouga: Heh, it's not like I would pass up the chance to see my precious Kagome. Ah, here you are! You must have heard I was coming. Hope I didn't keep you waiting.

(He walks up to Kagome and takes both her hands in his. Kagome looks anti-thrilled)

Kagome: Kouga....

voice: Kouga?

(In the doorway stands Sango in her usual attire, carrying Hirigotsu. Miroku is behind her, also looking normal, but no Kirara.)

Sango: Is this the place?

Miroku: I don't sense the presence of any youkai....

(Kouga puts a hand around Kagome's shoulders and ushers her forward. Kagome doesn't look happy but doesn't resist.)

Kouga: Ah, Kagome, there is so much to tell you, but first let me introduce you. This is Sango, (sango nods) and this is Miroku.

(Miroku instantly rushes forwards and takes hold of Kagome's hand, kissing the back of it.)

Kagome: !

Miroku: It is a pleasure, Lady Kagome. I'd heard a lot about you from Kouga, however I never dreamed you were so beautiful....

*WHAK!*

(Miroku is flattened to the ground by a broom, behind him, Sango stands, looking calm and perturbed. Grandpa looks surprised at having his broom stolen.)

Sango (annoyed): Whoops, it slipped.

(Picture of everyone else looking surprised, and with little sweat drops on their foreheads. Miroku is flattened.)

*~*~*~*~*

(Later that evening, the sun has set. Inside everyone is seated around a table eating while sitting on cushions. Kaede is there, she being Kagome's grandmother.)

Kagome: Demon exterminators?

Kouga: Yep! They come from a far away country. I've hired them to be my consultants. Inu-Yasha forest isn't something I take lightly. If I'm going to get rid of all those demons, I'll need expert help.

Kagome: Hmmmm....

Souta (Amazed): Are you really going to get rid of the forest Kouga! It's full of monsters, nobody goes in there anymore. Even Grandpa's afraid of it!

Grandpa: I'm not afraid of no forest! It's my arthritis that prevents me from taking long walks.

(Kaede's wearing a white blouse with a shawl and a red skirt. Her eye patch is still there.)

Grandma: Yet you can stand for hours sweeping at the gate and be fine...how odd...

Grandpa: (anger mark)

Kouga: Feh. That land under the forest is valuable, but because of the demons, no one can use it. So I bought it cheap, and once I clear out the monsters, I'll sell it for lots of money.

Kagome: But Kouga, that forest is huge! And they say there's a castle with a really strong demon in it!

Kouga (take Kagome's hands): Kagome, that you worry about me makes me truly happy. But as I promised you, I shall become rich as soon as possible, and then you will become my woman.

Kagome (little sweat drop): ...Eh!...

Sango: Anyway, you can't be expecting us to clear out the whole forest by ourselves. What is your plan?

Kouga: Ah, that! Come and see!

(Outside it is dark. Dinner is over and everyone has gathered together to see what Kouga has been keeping secret. Souta comes running back across the field.)

Souta (pant pant) : Okay. I set it up just like you said Kouga.

Kouga: Great! Now let me show you how I intend to beat the demons.

(He picks up a longish wrapped object and starts to unpack it. It turns out to be a large Musket, one with a funnel shaped firing end.)

Kouga: This just came onto the market! It's a wonder of technology that can easily put any man at level with a low level demon. It's called a rifle.

(Everyone looks on, unimpressed.)

Miroku: Kouga, could it be that your rifle is missing pieces? It certainly doesn't look like it could cut a Youkai's hide.

Kouga (Taking aim at the object Souta set up): That's the beauty of it. One shot from these and the bastards won't know what hit 'em!

*BANG*

(He fires, and a lot of smoke shoots out of the rifle. The metal pail that he was aiming at goes flying. The others look on in shock.)

Kouga: Hehehe....

(He goes to retrieve the can, holding it up with pride. It has been flattened on one side and there's a hole through it.)

Kagome: It went right though solid steel!

Kouga: You see! I've ordered over a hundred of these rifles, and when they arrive, I'll get a hundred men to launch an attack on the forest. What do you think of that!!

(He smiles as everyone looks on, still shocked)

Miroku: A-Amazing.

Kouga: Isn't it though. All I need is you two to scout out the area in the forest to find out the best way to launch my attack, and we're all set!

Grandma: I wouldn't count on that if I were you.

(All eyes turn to Kaede, who looks grim.)

Grandma: The demon in that forest isn't like any dumb beast. They say he was once human, and can think like an intelligent man. I wouldn't judge him so lightly.

Kouga: Humf, and what do you suggest we do old lady? Wait for him to die? I don't think that's going to happen soon. What do you say Kagome? You with me?

(Kagome holds her hand up to her chin pensively)

Kagome: Hmmmm...I dunno....

Kagome (To Kouga): I'd like to know more about the forest first, really. It is rather unnatural after all...

Kouga: Ha! Just like you to be so bold. That's why you're my woman! Alright, it's settled. Tomorrow when we go scout the forest, you'll come with us.

Kagome (shocked): Eh??!!

Kouga: That's the best way to see, isn't it? I'll show you there's nothing to be afraid of!

*~*~*~*~*~*

(Scene change to early morning, Kagome is standing behind her house looking at the forest. Behind her everyone else is getting ready to go. Kaede comes up beside her.)

Kagome: Granda, is it really okay? To go inside the forest I mean?

Grandma: Hmmmm...As long as you are quiet, and do not draw attention to yourselves during the day, you should be fine. However, take this with you, just in case.

(Kaede hands her a small ring of silver with a pale pink gem on it.)

Kagome: Hm? It's a bit big, but...

Grandma: It will hide your scent, so the monsters cannot smell you. If you hide somewhere, they won't be able to find you.

(Kagome takes the ring and slips it on her finger and hugs her Grandma.)

Kagome: Thank you, Grandma.

Kouga (from a distance): Kagome, we're leaving!

Kagome: Coming!!

(She runs, waving to her family as she leaves.)

Grandma: Take care, and remember, be home before dark!

*~*~*~*~*

//Another note:

Because this is a crossover between a Disney movie, fairy tale, and an anime, I thought it would be okay to if I crossed the cultures a bit too. This way, the characters can keep some of their trade marks, like clothing and hairstyles, and use some of the Japanese words most often used in the anime. The setting is pretty much the same as the one in the Disney movie, Beauty and the Beast, so if you're wondering what the castle looks like or some of the clothes, you now have an idea. If I use Japanese words occasionally, it's usually for character depth, or variation in the wording. Kaede now goes by the name Grandma as well. It shouldn't be too hard an adjustment because she's the only grandma there is. For any other small quirks, just take them as they come. However, if I make a really big mistake, please don't hesitate to e-mail me about it, or review. I always like reviews.//