InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Beauty and the Beast, Inuyasha Style!! ❯ In Disguise ( Chapter 7 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Chapter 7

*~*~*~*~*

(Some days later everyone has gathered around the breakfast table in the kitchen as usual. Inuyasha rests his head in his hand, eyes closed, looking nonplussed. Shippo is sitting on his pile of books, dozing in his folded arms on the table. Kagome is playing quietly with Kirara for something to do while Tanuki is busy preparing breakfast. After a moment Tanuki walks over to the table with the plates, looking a bit nervous.)

Tanuki (quietly): It's ready. Here you go, enjoy...

(He swiftly bustles off back to the counter looking busy while Inuyasha opens his eyes just a bit. He closes them again calmly for just a second before snapping upright in his chair and looking totally stunned at his plate.)

Inuyasha (looking shocked and insulted): Hey Tanuki!! What is this, some kind of joke?

(He holds his plate out angrily at Tanuki who cringes at the counter and slowly peeks around behind at Inuyasha. It's obvious why he's miffed now. On his plate is exactly one vegetable and maybe a hand full of rice. Around the table, the others are staring at their equally small portions with gloomy/startled expressions. Tanuki is sweating heavily.)

Tanuki (scared): Wh-what seems to be the problem ma-master Inuyasha?

(Inuyasha just narrows his eyes at him.)

Inuyasha (annoyed): Isn't it obvious? I couldn't even fill the cracks in the wall with this, now give me some more.

(Tanuki cringes again as he makes his demand, wringing his hands in his apron nervously.)

Tanuki (sweating): W-well you see m-master, the problem is... ... ... there is no more...

(Tanuki instantly raises his arms in defence just before Inuyasha jumps out of his seat enraged.)

Inuyasha (angry): What do you mean "there's no more." Last time I asked you, you said you had enough to last us a month!

Tanuki (cringing): W-well you see, that was a while ago, and since then we've taken on an extra person, so...

(Inuyasha instantly turns to glare at Kagome who responds to his gaze by looking surprised and innocent.)

Kagome: ...er...is it my fault?

(she looks down at her plate guilty for a moment before picking it up and holding it out to him.)

Kagome: If you need it, you can take mine.

(The look on her face says she doesn't really want to offer it to him, but thinks she should. Inuyasha bristles with indignity before folding crossing his arms and turning his nose up at it. Kagome takes it back, looking slightly hurt but not disappointed.)

Kagome (innocently): I was just offering.

(Inuyasha peers through narrowed eyes from Tanuki to Kagome and back again, wondering if they conspired this to make him look bad. After a moment he gives up and sits down again with a little "humph" and cleans his plate off in one handful.)

Shippo: So, what are we going to do Inuyasha?

(Inuyasha eats with his eyes closed looking thoughtful, and still annoyed, for some time. After a moment he swallows and gets up from his seat with the look of someone who is "going to face the music.")

Inuyasha (sigh): Well, what else can we do?

Shippo (excitedly): You mean we're going into town?! Yippee...

(He stops dead as Inuyasha sends a cool glare his way.)

Inuyasha (annoyed): No, I'm saying we'll just have to do without for awhile.

(Everyone stares at Inuyasha as if he's lost it.)

Shippo (dumbfounded): Wh...WHAT?!!
Tanuki (horrified): Go without food? For how long?

(Inuyasha leans against the doorframe, shuts his eyes and jerks his thumb towards Kagome.)

Inuyasha: Until she leaves of course.

Kagome (angry): What?! How's it my fault?!
Shippo (still dumbfounded): Inuyasha!

Inuyasha (cooly): What? Obviously she can't come with us, and if I leave her here, she's probably stupid enough to try and run away again, so... until she tells me what I want to know, we can't go buy food.

Kagome (standing up): Now hold on just one minute!

(She angrily marches over to Inuyasha who suddenly stands up straight looking surprised/warily at Kagome.)

Kagome (shouting): How dare you try to blame this on me? I already gave you my word that I wouldn't leave again, isn't that okay? It's bad enough that I have to stay here, but now I have to starve too?

(Her voice starts to waiver.)

Kagome (getting upset): And not just me, but Shippo, Tanuki and Kirara!! You...how can you be so cruel you...you...

(She suddenly turns away from him and Inuyasha looks at her, surprised. Her head is downcast and her shoulders look tight, as if she's crying.)

Inuyasha (surprised): ...h...hey! Whadda you crying over huh?

Inuyasha (annoyed): Keh!.. Fine, go ahead, I'm not going falling for something stupid like that!

(Suddenly Kagome whirls around to reveal that she wasn't crying but bristling with rage. Inuyasha jumps back in surprise.)

Inuyasha (scared): huh?

*Kong* *Smash*

(A second later we see Kagome holding a good sized frying pan with Inuyasha eating plaster off the wall, sporting several lumps on his head. Behind her Shippo, and Tanuki look on in shock while Kirara is calm, almost as if she thinks he had it coming.)

*~*~*~*~*

(A few hours later Tanuki, Inuyasha and Shippo are wandering through town wearing disguises. Shippo has boots and a cloak to hide his fox feet and tail (his ears aren't that strange) but Tanuki is completely covered under a cloak. Inuyasha has compromised somewhere between, with gloves and boots to cover his claws, a plumed hat for his ears, and a travelling cloak (A/N: Pic of Inuyasha in disguise on my homepage). As can be expected, Shippo is animated, looking everywhere at everything, Tanuki is worried about his costume slipping off, and Inuyasha sniffs the air and looks around in disgust.)

Shippo: So Inuyasha, where are we headed?

Inuyasha: Shut up! Damn city, there are so many smells I can't make anything out.

Tanuki: This place sure has grown a lot in a year hasn't it? I don't recognise half of the old shops at all.

Inuyasha: Damn, at this rate we'll never get anything done.

Voice: Perhaps it would be best if we split up?

(Everyone looks towards Inuyasha's shoulder to see Myouga sitting there.)

Shippo: Myouga? When did you get here?

Myouga: I've been here all along of course. Didn't you notice?

(Everyone looks blank.)

Myouga: ! Whaaaaaaa! You mean you really notice me? You're so cruel Lord Inuyasha!

*Squish*

Myouga (Flutter): Swish swish, swish swish...

Tanuki: He does have a good point however, master Inuyasha, if we split up we'll be able to cover more ground.

(Inuyasha doesn't like this idea, but gives in.)

Inuyasha (grudgingly) : Alright, meet back in front of the church in one hour...

(He holds up his gloved fist menacingly)

Inuyasha: ... and if anyone's late, I'll kick their ass!

(A minute later they all hurry off in different directions.)

*~*~*~*

(Back at the castle Kirara and Kagome are cleaning up for lack of something more exciting to do. Kagome has a pile of rags and is dusting shelves.)

Kagome (cough cough): Oh man, I don't think anyone's dusted up here for a hundred years!

(Kirara mews as Kagome picks up a clean rag and tackles a new shelf.)

Kagome: Come to think of it... it probably hasn't been dusted for a hundred years...

Kagome (Surprised): Ah?

(She looks down and realises that the rag she's holding is actually her old shawl. She looks at it a moment, unfolding it to reveal a large blood stain that couldn't be washed out. She remembers the confused, disbelieving look on Inuyasha's face when she gave it to him.)

Kagome: ...Inuyasha....

Kagome (thoughtful): He and everyone else here were turned into demons about a hundred years ago by Naraku because he wanted the throne. At first, everyone lived here in the castle, and behaved normally even though they were monsters. Now however, it seems most of them have turned against him in favour of Naraku. Why?

Kagome:...Must be awfully lonely for him...

(Kagome remembers the way he treated everyone at breakfast.)

Inuyasha (flashback): No, I'm saying we'll just have to do without for awhile.

Kagome (sweat drop):...then again, maybe he had it coming...

(She continues to clean with her shawl while thinking. After a moment she seems to hit on something and turns to Kirara.)

Kagome: Kirara, have demons ever attacked the castle directly?

(Kirara mews and nods without hesitation, then tilts her head at Kagome, wondering why she asked.)

Kirara (puzzled): Weow?

Kagome: Well, I was just thinking, maybe I should find a weapon until Inuyasha comes back. Just in case something happens.

(Kirara seems to consider this a moment, and then nods in agreement. She turns and heads for the door, indicating that Kagome should follow.)

*~*~*~*~*

(In the village, Shippo is wandering around the streets looking for something.)

Shippo (searching): I have to fine someone to deliver this letter to Kagome's house.

(Flashback of Kagome handing Shippo a letter.)

Kagome: It's for my family, just so that they know I'm safe and won't worry! Please Shippo, do you think you could find a way to get it to them.

(End flashback, in the middle of the street, Shippo looks around, and finally spots a sign.)

Sign: Kouga's Delivery Service

Shippo: That's it! Perfect!

(View of the inside of a shop as seen from the back with a man sleeping at the counter. A bell rings as the front door is seemingly opened by no-one, and after a moment Shippo leaps up on the counter, much to the surprise of the man there.)

Shippo: Hah!

Man (startled): Wooaaaa!!

(Shippo looks down innocently at the man who has just fallen off of his chair. After a moment the man gets back up and looks at Shippo still surprised.)

Man (Still flustered): Hi, ho, where did you come from?

Shippo (not impressed): I came in through the door.

Man: Oh really? I didn't hear you come in.

Shippo (sweat drop): That's because you were asleep.

(The man doesn't seem to hear him and carries on.)

Man: So sir, what can I do for you?

Shippo (digging in his shirt): I have a letter...

(After a moment he produces a letter and hands it too the man.)

Man: Oh say, Higurashi huh? The boss will be really happy to get this one!

Shippo (innocently): Why?

Man: Why? Where have you been to sonny. Didn't you know the owner of this place has the hots for young miss Higurashi.

Shippo: Eh?

(The man, obviously a gossip but a bit behind the times, is pleased at the reaction from Shippo and hurries on.)

Man: Yeah! They say he plans to marry her, once he clears out the forest that is...

Shippo (Shocked): C..Clear out the forest!?!

Old man: Sure thing, though no one knows how he's going to do it. It's a big secret see...

(Suddenly Kouga enters the shop with Sango and Miroku behind him. The man and Shippo stop talking and look over.)

Man: Oh there you are Kouga sir, I was hoping you'd come by. Look, this little fella just brought in a letter for the Higurashi's. You can deliver it yourself...

(Shippo suddenly starts sweating as he realises he's in the same room with the forest clearer and two professional demon exterminators. They don't seem to notice him though. Kouga looks annoyed before walking up to the desk and snatching the letter out of the clerk's hand. He puts it in his jacket without looking at it and turns from the clerk.)

Kouga: Aside from that, anything come in from the port yet? Any word?

(Shippo starts leaving the room, pressing against the walls to keep as far away from Sango and Miroku as possible. Miroku watches him suspiciously out of the corner of his eye. Shippo is sweating profusely.)

Clerk: Ah no sir, there's no word that. In fact it's been pretty dead here all morning...

Kouga (Angry): What!?

Kouga (approaching man threateningly): Hey, Louis, you better not have been asleep again.

(By now, Shippo has reached the door and turns to go in a flash. As Miroku watches however, he catches a glimpse of Shippo's tail. His face changes into a stunned expression as Kaouga continues yelling at his clerk.)

Miroku: Kouga-sama, may I see that letter...

*~*~*~*~*