InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Beauty and the Beast, Inuyasha Style!! ❯ Sealing Sword ( Chapter 16 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Chapter 16

Note: You may have pictured it differently, however, so far Inuyasha has never let go of the Tetsuiga. It has been either in it's sheath, in his hand, or resting against his side the whole story. This is important.

*~*~*~*~*

(Later that night, Kagome is once again sitting beside Souta's bed, who is staring enthralled at an Item in Kagome's hand.)

Souta: Wow! That's Inuyasha'a Hair! Amazing!

(Kagome nodds and looks down at the silver lock, smiling sadly. Souta notices her face and suddenly looks rather guilty.)

Souta (hesitantly): Hey, sis...

Kagome (looking up): Hm?

Souta (guiltily): ... ... They miss you a lot there, don't they?

(He stares at the bed sheets and crinkles them in his hands, Kagome looks up at him a bit quizzical.)

Kagome (surprised): Souta...what makes you think that?

Souta (sigh): Well...I was thinking that, if it was me locked up in a castle for a hundred years...well...I'd want to have my big sis with me...I think they must be really lonely there...

(Kagome smiles and hugs him.)

Kagome: Oh Souta, you're so sweet...

(They sit together for a moment before Souta completely shocks Kagome.)

Souta (hug muffled): Just make sure you come back and visit okay?

Kagome (confused): Huh?

(She looks down at Souta, checking his head for fever. He just smiles at her.)

Souta (smiling): Mom will want to see you, and so will grandpa, and everyone. So come and visit. Don't worry I'll look after everything else, I'm almost 9 now after all.

Kagome (stunned):....eh...Souta...

(He looks up at her confidently, as if he knows he's doing the right thing. After a moment, Kagome hugs him tightly.)

Kagome (happily): Oh Souta...

Kagome: Thank you...

*~*~*~*~*

(The next day at the castle, Shippo, Tanuki, Kirara and Myouga have decided to move breakfast up to Inuyasha's roost, where he continues to stare out at the landscape with a tired expression. Everyone else is sitting around a blanket behind him, eating picnic style in the patch of sunlight that is cast on the ground.)

Shippo (muttering): Geeze, you think he would have snapped out of it by now...

(He raises his voice)

Shippo (tauntingly): So Inuyasha, when are you going to go after Naraku huh?

(No answer, Tanuki and Kirara look up from their food.)

Shippo: It's winter right? If you're going to go into the black swamp, best do it before the ground thaws. That way, it'll stink less.

(Still no response. Shippo sighs at Inuyasha's stubbornness and brings out the big guns.)

Shippo: Sheesh! What are you waiting for Inuyasha. If I didn't know any better, I'd say you were afraid of him...

(He cautiously peeks out of the corner of his eye at the demon, but still doesn't get any reaction. Shippo grits his teeth for a moment before angrily admitting defeat. He turns back to his food and begins plotting his next attack.)

(Suddenly, Inuyasha stands up, much to the surprise of everyone. Shippo thinks it's because of what he said, and dives behind Tanuki. Inuyasha, however, isn't watching. He simply stands there, staring off into the distance, his back to them. He sniffs slightly, testing the air.)

Tanuki (venturing): Wh...What is it Master?

(There is a long pause as Inuyasha stares, the look on his face showing the faintest signs of disbelief and even hope.)

Inuyasha (quietly): ...Kagome...she's here...

(The other's stare at him in confusion, and then look at each other, wondering whether or not to believe him. A split second later a flap of clothing announces Inuyasha's rapid departure, and the other's stare at an empty window.)

*~*~*~*~*

(Kagome huffs her way through the bare treed forest, a large knapsack on her back. Oblivious to any danger, she marches on, resolved.)

Kagome: Souta, he really has grown up quick, hasn't he...

Kagome: Heh...I never thought I'd enter this forest again, and now I'm even glad to be here.

Kagome: Won't everyone surprised to see me? I probably won't be able to keep on my feet when they tackle me. Everyone accept Inuyasha that is, he'll probably just yell at me for leaving in the first place.

(She just half smiles at the thought, not really afraid of having him yell at her. She continues like this, until a sudden wind picks up and blows around her. Suddenly, there is a crunch of snow in front of her, and Kagome looks up, surprised.)

Kagura: Hmmm...You don't look like much. Can you really be Inuyasha's wench as Naraku claims?

(Kagome stiffens as she looks up at Kagura, who has landed only a few meters in front of her. Kagura gazes back at her with sceptical eyes.)

Kagome: Na...Naraku?

(She takes a step back and tries to look intimidating as she faces Kagura.)

Kagome (threatening): Wh...Who are you? What do you want with Inuyasha?

(Kagura seems amused.)

Kagura: Hmmm? So you really are Inuyasha's bitch. Well then, that saves me the trouble of having to leave the forest to kidnap you. This is turning out better than I'd hoped.

(Kagome stands there speechless for a moment. Then, she suddenly drops her knapsack and turns on her heel to run. Kagura is caught off guard, but only for a second before she reacts.)

Kagura (menacingly): Oh no you don't. You're my hostage now.

(Taking out her fan, she aims to perfect wind blades at two medium sized trees. The blades slice through their trunks and the trees begin to fall toward each other, landing in Kagome's path. She stops.)

Kagura: You're not going anywhere, so you might as well sit down and wait. Inuyasha should be here soon.

(She raises her fan again and a large blast of heavy air hits Kagome. She takes it full in the face and falls backwards, hitting the back of her head on one of the fallen tree trunks. She struggles a moment as the world spins around her.)

Kagome: ...Inu... ya... sha...

(She passes out.)

*~*~*~*~*

(Inuyasha rushes through the forest at top speed, a serious look on his face as he concentrates on dodging trees and branches, still thinking.)

Inuyasha (hopefully): Has she really come back? Is that why she's here in the forest?

(He thinks some more, scowling.)

Inuyasha (angrily): No. She'd never come back by herself. Something must have happened. Yura? No... Naraku!

(He continues running on at full speed. Some ways behind him, Kirara flies with Tanuki, Shippo and Myouga on his back.)

Tanuki (positively): Master Inuyasha sure seems full of energy now, doesn't he?

(The others nod in agreement.)

Shippo: He really likes Kagome, and if she's come back, it means she must really like him too. Right Myouga?

Myouga (agreeably): Hmmmmm

(Some ways up ahead, Inuyasha suddenly sniffs the air and grows tense. With one final leap he jumps into a clearing and skids to a halt, directly in front of Kagura and Kagome, the latter of which is tied and gagged to a tree. Inuyasha looks at her, his heart thumping in his chest.)

Inuyasha (stunned): ...K...Kagome?

(Kagome yells something into her gag as Kagura turns around to face Inuyasha and addresses him.)

Kagura: Hm...it seems Naraku's information was correct. You really are infatuated with this common girl.

(Inuyasha grits his teeth and snarls at her, pulling out Tetsuiga.)

Inuyasha (hissing): Kagura! Bitch! What are you doing here?!

(Kagura simply observes him, smiling.)

Kagura (calmly): I wouldn't think of using that if I were you. I'd slice her head off before you even got within striking range.

(She snaps her fan open and levels it with Kagome's throat, just to emphasize her threat. Inuyasha growls, but slowly lowers Tetsuiga.)

Inuyasha (growling): Alright Kagura, what is it? What do you want?

(Kagura smiles victoriously and makes her request.)

Kagura (confidently): It's simple really. You're sword, the powerful blade of the wound of the wind. give it to me and I'll let her live.

(Inuyasha's eyes go wide with utter shock. After several minutes, Kagura begins to get impatient.)

Kagura: Well? I'm waiting. Drop your sword or the girl dies.

(She holds her fan to Kagome's neck again, just to prove her point. Inuyasha lets Tetsuiga's tip hit the ground as he stares down, looking bitter.)

Inuyasha (painfully): I...I can't.

Kagura: Then the girl dies...

(She flips her wrist as Kagome squirms in her bonds. She stares out pleadingly at Inuyasha.)

Inuyasha (panicked): NO! WAIT!!

(Kagura stops taunting him for a quick moment to repeat her demand.)

Kagura (threatening): The sword, or her life. Which is more important to you?

(Inuyasha looks desperately from Kagome to Kagura and back to Kagome again. After a moment he stops, and looks down at the ground resolutely.)

Inuyasha (defeated): T...Take me instead...

(Kagome's eyes widen in shock and horror as Kagura turns towards him with interest.)

Kagura (amused): Hmmm, so you'd rather die then live with the shame of admitting defeat? I'm surprised at you, Inuyasha.

(Inuyasha continues staring at the ground, his eyes hidden by his bangs. Kagome watches him, terrified.)

Kagome: No! Inuyasha?!

(Kagura takes a step away from Kagome and towards Inuyasha, smirking confidently. He stands like a statue, unmoving. She raises her hand to make the fatal blow. Kagome screams his name behind the gag.)

Kagura (mockingly): Take your life huh? Kukuku...As you wish...you're majesty!

(She starts to bring her hand down, but suddenly she is shoved hard to the side by Kirara. She leaps out of the sky and mauls Kagura at the last second. Kagura goes down, but keeps her grasp of her fan. Meanwhile, Shippo and Tanuki appear behind Kagome, cutting her free with a knife (from the kitchen). She unties her gag as Shippo jumps into her lap, hugging her.)

Shippo (overjoyed): KAGOME!!!!

Kagome (happy too): Shippo-chan!...

(Her sentence is cut short as Kagura suddenly summons up a large blast of wind, throwing Kirara off of her and into the forest behind. Kagome jumps up with Shippo and everyone collectively hides behind the largest tree trunk they can find.)

Kagura (disgusted): Ugh! Kirara you BITCH! Still Inuyasha's lap dog I see...

(She stops as something moves overhead. A second later, Inuyasha has landed on the ground between Kagura and everyone else. Kagura starts to look worried.)

Kagura (muttering): Shit! So much for settling this peacefully.

Kagura (yelling): Inuyasha, whether you wish it or not, today is the day you die!

Inuyasha (angrily): That's my line!

(He rushes forward, preparing his attack.)

Inuyasha: KAZE NO KITSU!!

(Kagura smirks at him. He swings the sword mightily...

(... and nothing happens. Everyone (including Kirara now) stares in shock.)

Shippo (disbelief): A...dud?

(Inuyasha looks confused at Tetsuiga confused, then realises he's being attacked.)

Inuyasha (startled): Shi...

(Suddenly a large blast of wind knocks him from his feet and drops him on his back a few feet behind. Kagura laughs as she floats above him, hailing attacks down on him.)

Kagura (triumphantly): Humph! Fool! Did you forget? I control the air, and I can easily hide the wound of the wind.

(Kagome and the others look on worried as Inuyasha crouches, blocking the attacks with Tetsuiga. Suddenly, one wind blade breaks through, deeply slicing the right wrist that holds Tetsuiga. Inuyasha chokes back a howl of pain, and is suddenly blown back by another broad, heavy blast of air.)

Kagome (worried): Inuyasha!!

Shippo (panic): Ahhhh....the Tetsuiga!!

(Tetsuiga comes free of Inuyasha's limp right hand as he is blown backwards by the blast. It clatters to the ground a few meters before his unmoving figure. Inuyasha's servants visibly jump, terrified. Kirara steps out in front, protectively.)

Tanuki (horrified): Oh no! He dropped the sword!

Kagome (surprised): Eh?

(She stops looking at Inuyasha long enough to glance at Shippo who is trembling.)

Shippo (swallow hard): Tetsuiga...is Inuyasha's sealing sword...

Kagome (lost): Sealing sword? What's...

Myouga (interrpting): A-hem. Tetsuiga is the sword that was made to seal the curse on Inuyasha's mind.

Kagome (still lost): His...mind? ...What happens when he lets go of it?

Shippo (Shutters): Then...he doesn't recognise anything. He losses control of himself, and becomes a real demon.

Kagome (paniced): What?!

Kagura: Kukuku. Dropped dead already Inuyasha?

(She takes a few steps towards him, smirking in triumph. He doesn't answer.)

Kagura: Whatever. I pity you, so I'll just take what I came for and...

(She bends down to pick up the sword but before she can reach it, something, seemingly out of nowhere, smacks her to the side. She hits a tree full in the face and slouches to the ground, reeling. Desperately she turns around to see what might have attacked her, blood oozing from a hole in her side.)

Kagura (surprised and scared): Uh?...Inuyasha!!

(He stands, blood dripping from his rigid claws. His eyes have gone red, golden orbs retracting into steely blue slits. He growls menacingly at Kagura for only an instant before rushing at her. She pulls a feather from her hair, but not quite fast enough. Inuyasha throws his left hand across her chest, leaving deep red gashes that almost penetrate to her back. Within seconds she is flying away on the breeze, mortally wounded. Inuyasha stands stiffly in the clearing, his back to Kagome and the others.)

Kagome (worried): Inu...

Shippo: Shhhh!

(Shippo clamps a hand over her mouth, but it's too late. Inuyasha notices them. He turns, his body stiff with tension, ready to spring. Kirara growls and places herself between Inuyasha and Kagome. From Kagome's shoulder, Myouga suddenly leaps off.)

Myouga (packing to go): Anyway, you're only hope of survival now is to get the sword back into Inuyasha's hands...Good luck!

(He whizzes off among the snow as fast as he can, leaving the others with cold looks on their faces.)

*~*~*~*~*