InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Embracing Ice ❯ Nara ( Chapter 4 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

EDITED: 7/11/05

 

- - - - - - - - - -

Embracing Ice

Chapter Four: Nara

Written By: Yabou

Edited By: FireAngel8723

- - - - - - - - - -

 

 

Kagome gasped when they finally entered the gates of the capital, Nara. Large Buddhist monasteries rose high into sky and gleamed in the early afternoon sun. She remembered the earlier lessons about the structure of the city and was amazed at the similarities between Nara and the Tang Chinese capital, Chang’an, that it was modeled after.

 

The strong influence of religion was also predominant. Traveling monks and priests mingled together discussing the latest influences of the Sutra of Golden Light, a Buddhist teaching that established a historical human being and the Laws of Truth and Light.

 

“This is amazing.” Kagome marveled.

 

Sesshoumaru snorted in disgust. “It is nothing. These humans use their laws and literature to establish their supremacy over one another. They allow the weak to rule the strong.”

 

Kagome frowned. “Yes, but what can any simple person do to change that?”

 

He growled. “If they have a weak ruler, then the obvious answer would be rebellion and re-creation. They allow themselves to flounder while their rulers waste away in their own soil.”

 

“That’s disgusting.” Kagome gagged. “Don’t you know that they’d be killed if they tried to overthrow the Empress Gemmei?”

 

Lady Bishou shook her head. “Maybe it is not she who is the problem. It is impossible for a person of such power to control all of her subjects all of the time.”

 

“Huh?”

 

Lady Bishou sighed. “Empress Gemmei has been a strong leader. She has created a point of centralization for our Great Nation and currently employs many people. It is the daimyowho abuse their privilege. They take advantage of the villagers they believe are weak and work them weary. They kill their own people.”

 

Sesshoumaru nodded.

 

Kagome continued to frown. Something about the entire conversation had been bothering her. “You don’t look down on them simply because they are human?”

 

Lady Bishou laughed. “Why would I do that? They cannot help the way they are born. They did not choose to be mortal. It would be wrong of me to judge them so.”

 

Kagome caught Sesshoumaru’s small nod from the corner of her eye. ‘If he feels this way now, what made him become so condescending toward the human race? What changed you, Sesshoumaru?’

 

“What will you look for in Heiji kyo (Nara) today, Mother?” Sesshoumaru asked.

 

She smiled. “I believe that Kagome is in need of more appropriate apparel for the High table. Do you not agree?”

 

Sesshoumaru seemed to glance over her attire and gave a curt nod with a small smile. “Indeed.”

 

Kagome fumed. “What is that supposed to mean?” She urged her horse to trot closer to his.

 

He smirked. “It means, Miko, that you are coarsely dressed.”

 

“That’s not a very nice thing to say.” She huffed.

 

Lady Bishou giggled underneath her breath. ‘They banter like children.’ “Now come, Kagome. That is not what he means. You will be appearing before Lord Konton tonight. The Inu no Taisho expects no less than excellence.”

 

Sesshoumaru appeared to grimace at that, but Kagome couldn’t really tell. While he was more open, he wasn’t exactly tap dancing while jolting out the lines to “Singin’ in the Rain.”

 

That thought made her laugh.

 

“What are you laughing at?” Sesshoumaru growled, obviously forced into a bad mood by the mention of his father.

 

She smiled a little brighter. “Nothing at all, Lord Sesshoumaru.”

 

“Ah,” Lady Bishou grinned. “My favorite seamstress, Lady Yura, it is wonderful to see you on such a lovely day.”

 

Kagome openly gaped at the young woman. Her long black hair was tied back in a very traditional style, and her clothing was simple, yet exquisite. It also covered everything. ‘Much the opposite of her future choice of wardrobe.’ Kagome snorted.

 

“My greetings, Lady Bishou and Lord Sesshoumaru. Who is your beautiful guest?” Kagome noticed her slight sneer. Apparently not all demons were as accepting of the human race.

 

Lady Bishou forced a graceful smile and nod. “This is Lady Kagome. She is preparing for the High table this very evening and would like to be more suitably clothed.”

 

Yura gave a curt bob of her head and darted back into the shop.

 

Lady Bishou pulled Kagome close. “You must watch her, my dear. She is a wonderful seamstress, but she does not take well to certain people.”

 

Kagome smiled back. “It’s okay, really. Why do you use her if you know that she doesn’t like humans?”

 

The older woman gave a light laugh. “No one else can make a kimono quite like she can. No one has ever discovered her secret techniques for stitching and embroidery.”

 

Kagome frowned. ‘Ew. I bet I know…that’s disgusting!’

 

- - - - - - - - - -

 

 

Kagome nearly kissed the stony ground when she was finally permitted to leave the shop. Yura had forced her to try on every disgusting gown she could manage to get her hands on, and that had just been the beginning.

 

After discovering one suitable kimono, she had been obligated to make sure that it would look as appealing on her person as it did on the dummy. Each elaborate knot she had tied had been pulled tight with a mammoth amount of strength and hatred. Kagome had been sure that she would have died with the application of the last layer if Lady Bishou had not insisted that it was waning late in the evening and their appearance at supper would soon be required.

 

Yura hadn’t been satisfied.

 

So with promises to returnthe following week, Kagome had been allowed out of the restricting outfit and onto her horse.

 

The ride back was blanketed in silence. Lady Bishou and Sesshoumaru seemed comfortable enough, but Kagome was wrapped in her own thoughts.

 

She had been thinking about the same thing since the moment she awoke in the strange mansion. ‘I want to go home.’ Every free second of every day had been filled with thoughts of her mother, brother, and grandfather, and every other moment was overflowing with additional memories of Shippou, Sango, Miroku, and Inuyasha.

 

Inuyasha.

 

‘I miss you. I wonder what you’re doing now.’ She rolled the contemplation over in her mind before quickly dismissing it. ‘It won’t do any good to think about that right now. One step at a time.’

 

“Kagome?” Lady Bishou questioned. “Is something wrong?”

 

Her response was a sad smile. “I miss my family.”

 

She nodded. “I understand.”

 

“Will Lord Konton take me home?”

 

“I am sure that he will do what he is able. Where is your home, my dear?”

 

Kagome grimaced. She had finally asked the one thing that could not be explained. “It’s a long story.”

 

Lady Bishou frowned. “I see. Perhaps, it is best saved for our meal conversation then.”

 

“Maybe.” Kagome weakly nodded.

 

- - - - - - - - - -