InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Embracing Ice ❯ Love - Defined ( Chapter 31 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

A/N: We are now starting a three chapter arc. Bet you can't guess what comes at the end. And, another thank you goes out to Rinseternalsoul for her continued support in this chapter. Although I did write Wepwawet's part here, he is still her creation.
 
- - - - -
 
Embracing Ice
 
Written By: Yabou
 
Character of Wepwawet Created By: Rinseternalsoul
 
Edited By: Wiccan
 
Chapter Thirty-One: Love - Defined
 
- - - - -
 
“Seven more sunrises,” Kagome smiled, pressing her lips to his bare chest.
 
Sesshoumaru returned her gesture with a gentle look and ran his hand through her long, dark hair as she cuddled into his chest, “Seven more sunsets.”
 
“Do you think you can handle being bound to me forever?” she asked.
 
The demonic prince snorted. “That is not the appropriate question, little miko.”
 
“Then what should I ask?”
 
With a careful tug, he pulled her into his arms and held her close. “One can only wonder how the rest of the world will fare when beings such as we are joined, eternally.”
 
“What are you trying to say?” Kagome laughed and ran her finger tips over his side to tickle the sensitive skin of his lower stomach.
 
He laid a kiss on her neck and inhaled deeply. It was a scent he never grew tired of. “Between you and I,” he chuckled, “all of Japan has never seen such a strong-willed combination.”
 
“Hey!” Kagome squealed when he returned her antics. “Are you saying I'm stubborn?”
 
Sesshoumaru seemed to think twice about his answer for finally settling on, “I do not recall saying that.”
 
“Uh huh,” Kagome shot him a knowing glance. “That's okay. I'll get you later.”
 
Raising one eyebrow, the daiyoukai smirked. “Is that a promise, little miko?”
 
As she took in his heated stare, the priestess swallowed slowly and backed out of the bedding. “I don't have time. Sesshoumaru, no! I've got to go see-”
 
Any further argument she may have attempted was silenced by her future mate's skilled tongue.
 
- - - - -
 
`Four days. I'm getting married in four days,' Kagome sighed, lost in her own thoughts. `I wish Mama was here. She'd be so happy. Gah, she's going to get those grandchildren with the cute ears that she had almost given up on. I love you, Mama. I'll be back there soon. After all, how hard can it be to wait 1300 years when I've got Sesshoumaru by my side?'
 
“Kagome?” Ikris frowned. “Are you listening to me?”
 
The young miko blushed, pulled from her daydreams. “I'm sorry, Ikris. My mind seems to wander lately.”
 
Smiling, the priestess patted her knee comfortingly. “I understand. I remember waiting for my own mating ceremony. All those nervous butterflies. However, we do need to discuss how your training will change now that Ishi is gone.”
 
“Ishi is gone? What happened?” Kagome wondered, shocked at the sudden disappearance of the battle-hardened instructor.
 
Ikris shook her head. “Someone like Ishi cannot be expected to stay long. She comes when she is needed, and she leaves when she is not.”
 
“She didn't say goodbye,” the young miko sadly replied.
 
“It is her way,” Ikris soothed. “Do not worry yourself, Kagome. It is likely that you will see her again some day.”
 
“What do you mean she's not needed? Of course I need her. Who's going to finish my training with the kamas?” she huffed, upset that the older woman left without a single word of parting.
 
Ikris cringed, a sudden pain rippling over her swollen belly.
 
“Are you okay?” Kagome's eyes widened at her clenched expression. “Is something wrong? Is it time?
 
“Calm yourself, Kagome.” She chuckled, sighing in relief as the waves passed over her. “It is nothing - merely a young lord voicing his displeasure. Already, he is so much like his father.”
 
Kagome blushed. “Sorry, I've never really been around a really pregnant woman before. What were you saying… about my training?”
 
“Your pack members will now instruct you in the areas concerning your weapon and I will resume assisting you with your reiki as soon as I am able,” she answered, still soothing the pup inside her womb with soft caresses.
 
“What are we going to do today, then?”
 
Ikris gave her a humorous smile. “Meditate.”
 
“My favorite,” Kagome sighed and grumbled
 
- - - - -
 
“I have heard a very interesting story as of late, Wepwawet.” Ptah shifted on his throne, absently stroking the long, braided beard that hung from his chin. The Creator settled him with a stern look. “You have obtained the Shroud of Osiris, have you not?”
 
Light from the flames of the underworld played over his superior's bald head and made the thick, charcoal lines around his eyes stand out even more against his light brown skin. Pushing aside his distraction, the Opener of the Ways responded, “I have,” meanwhile thinking, `Damn Ammit. She has taken her souls and betrayed mine.'
 
“Osiris thinks the fabric unimportant,” Ptah continued.
 
A new figure stepped up to the throne. His appearance reflected Ptah's, but he wore the white crown of Egypt upon his head. “However, I did not realize that it would be gifted to a mere mortal woman. Are your actions wise, Dog?”
 
Wepwawet looked between the two and pondered what he should say. It was Osiris's Shroud, but Ptah was the more influential of the two. If only one was to agree, it would have to be Ptah. Osiris was logical. Osiris would seek whatever he believed to be justifiable. Ptah, however, could be swayed. Choosing his battle, the dog god bowed deeply. “The cloth is needed in Japan.”
 
“For a priestess,” the third and final member of the trio appeared as Wepwawet rose.
 
Ptah frowned. “You are not needed here, Seker. Return to your post.”
 
“I have news.” The bird-headed god moved forward, his green skin appearing sickly even in the dim light. The long, curved beak that served as his mouth opened again, “I have been visited by your Grecians, Ptah.”
 
“Ah, what say the lovely Fates?” Ptah grinned.
 
“It appears,” Seker sneered, “that they wish for you to create a set of feminine armor from the Shroud of Osiris. Why should we be forced to cater to the whims of your pets, Ptah? Is it not enough that I delivered their message?”
 
“What think you, Osiris?” Ptah questioned. “Do you agree with our Second?”
 
“I do not,” He replied stoically. “If the Fates have deemed it so, it must be done.”
 
Ptah clapped a hand against his Second's arm. “You have been outnumbered, my friend.”
 
Osiris, the Third deity, called the Shroud into his presence and Wepwawet was hard pressed not to snarl. The object had, after all, cost him one hundred souls. It was a difficult task to complete - nearly impossible given his time constraints. Still, he had done it. He had earned the Shroud of Osiris for his Ikris.
 
“I, the Creator and god of craftsmen, will produce what is required for you, Wepwawet.” Ptah informed him.
 
Osiris passed the fabric to his predecessor. “However, we will require something in return.”
 
Ptah's eyes sparkled with amusement. “Ah, yes. We must have something in return.”
 
Wepwawet nearly groaned. It seemed as if he would never reach his dear Ikris.
 
- - - - -
 
“You're going to get me into trouble.” Kagome pointed out even as she sank into his kiss.
 
Sesshoumaru smirked against her mouth, sliding his hands around her waist to lift her off the floor. “And your point, little miko?”
 
“You shouldn't be here,” she whispered. Her legs wrapped around his lean torso, contradicting her hands, which were pushing against his chest. “We're supposed to be getting ready to greet our guests.”
 
“And what do you want to do, Ka-go-me?” His sinful voice caused her body to flush. Clawed fingertips grazed over her fabric covered breasts while his other hand occupied itself with supporting her weight and fondling her curved backside.
 
Kagome gasped. “We can't do this now.”
 
“Three more nights,” he breathed, a lusty promise filling his every word. “Then I shall see just how loudly you can scream my name, little miko.”
 
The hazy fog of arousal that swamped her body might have driven her to test his theories. That is, if she had not felt a cold blast of air sweep up her kimono from how quickly he deposited her against the wall and disappeared out the window.
 
“Where has my son gone?” Bishou appeared in the doorway, an amused look sparkling in the depths of her golden eyes.
 
“Um…” Kagome blushed. “Wasn't here?”
 
“Of course not,” the youkai female laughed. “It must have been the wind.”
 
“Right.” The young miko sighed in relief when she realized that her future mother-in-law of sorts was willing to let the instance go.
 
Moving to a chest in the corner of her room, Bishou sorted through it contents, selecting a thick, wrapped package from its depths. A sad smile curved her maroon lips. “I would like for you to wear this for this eve. It was… meant for my daughter.”
 
Kagome felt her breath catch in her throat. “Bishou… I can't… I can't accept something so precious. I can't take this from you.”
 
“You…” the Seer continued, “Would you be… I would be honored if you would become my daughter, Kagome.”
 
“I,” Kagome nearly cried at the heartfelt emotions etched into Bishou's face. “It is a privilege to consent to such a request, Honored Mother.”
 
Encased in the warm embrace of her youkai family, Kagome wept in earnest. She was not alone. Even when Sesshoumaru was not near, this female had come to mean nearly as much as her son did.
 
Drying their eyes, Kagome and Bishou prepared for the evening's opening ceremony. The Seer managed to keep her happy façade in place until the miko had slipped out the shoji screen to join the others in celebration of her impending bond. With a weak hand pressed against the cold wooden wall, the demoness barely kept herself from falling to the floor.
 
Her visions had been even stronger since the departure of her mate. While his youki usually kept them at bay, his absence allowed them to wreak havoc on her mind. It was, perhaps, her biggest weakness. Her magics were strong in different directions. She held a poison in her claws strong enough to defeat any foe. Her movements were quick and agile, able to escape most attacks, but her own body fought against her.
 
The magic that most youkai possessed in battle was lost to her. She could See into the future of a soul but, beyond that, her capabilities were limited to abnormal strength and the toxin in her veins. She was unable to even protect herself against her foreign power.
 
Most demonic beings considered her useless. She smiled ruthlessly into the empty room, her silver hair shining in the faint light seeping through from the outdoor torches, `Perhaps, I am.'
 
Finally, she allowed her body to collapse against the chest. Bishou's delicate claws carelessly rearranged her dark purple kimono as she lost herself in thought. `My mate, I do this only for you. This eve I will still my hand as I watch my children fumble. Do you even know what you have asked of me? This last test… Kagome will prove her worth. I know the situation is not of your doing, but my heart still shudders at how little you see. Why do you let your future rest in a haze when I am able to clear it?'
 
Crossing her hands over her chest, she closed her eyes and quietly laughed. `Perhaps your human mate will understand you in the ways I cannot.'
 
- - - - -
 
“Let a mother dote on her son,” Bishou teased, brushing his bangs away from his eyes; eyes that so closely resembled his father's. “In a few days, you will no longer be mine to care for. Surely you will grant me these last moments.”
 
“You coddle me now and you will continue to do so, even after my mating. Do not attempt to deny the truth in it, Mother.” He smirked. “You are not one to be so easily pushed aside. Do not believe you can fool me into sympathy.”
 
“Ah,” she feigned a hurt expression. “What a wicked son I have raised! And to think, I went through many difficulties to have this kimono made to your Lady's specifications just for you.”
 
“You made this because of Kagome?” He asked, surprised.
 
Bishou looked away, enjoying her torture of him. “I did, but what will I tell her, now that you've refused her gift from your disrespected mother?”
 
Taking more time, Sesshoumaru examined the white silk so lovingly prepared by two of the most important beings in his life. A splash of deep red colored the hem of the sleeves and right shoulder. It was an odd pattern that he had never seen before, part of him wondered where she had seen it.
 
Once his mother exited the chambers, he donned the fine fabric with practiced ease and tied the sash Kagome had created around his waist. Allowing his tail to slip from its bindings, he wrapped it over his shoulder so that he would not walk on its extensive length. It was slender, not quite as long as most he had seen, but it was also newly formed. The fullness would not develop for many years. Still, it was a symbol of power to be worn with pride on this occasion. He only hoped that his little miko would not be overly shocked by its appearance.
 
- - - - -
 
Kagome's heart nearly stopped at the sight before her. There, in the corner of the garden, was the regal demon lord she had not seen in over a year. His head was tilted back as he stared at the dark red moon hanging low in the sky and contemplated thoughts she was sure she knew nothing about.
 
“Kagome,” he breathed, the whisper barely reaching her over the expanse of space between them. The miko closed her eyes and shivered. She would never grow tired of hearing her name pass through his lips.
 
Sesshoumaru turned and was entranced by the appearance of the ethereal woman who was to become his mate. Blood red fabrics with birds of golden thread rested delicately against her porcelain skin. Kagome's normally unbound hair had been swept into an elegant coif and adorned with several small, golden cranes. The most beautiful thing he saw, though, was the loving smile she presented him with when he spoke her name. It was enough to leave him breathless and wanting.
 
“Ah, how nice of you to call such a gathering,” a dark voice echoed around them. “However, I assure you it was not necessary to do so on my account.”
 
“Sesshoumaru!” Kagome cried out as the form of Tsukiyomi materialized between them.
 
The moon god's laughter reverberated through the night when the daiyoukai released a low, threatening growl. “Do you think yourself a match for me, pup? You may have gained your tail, but your power cannot possibly wish to rival my own.”
 
“You will not stand between us,” Sesshoumaru warned, wisps of youki gathering close to his body.
 
Tsukiyomi sneered. “I will do as I please, dog.”
 
“Sesshoumaru!” Bishou darted into the clearing, ripping the sword at her side from its sheath.
 
“And now the den mother attempts to protect her pups. How amusing,” The moon god continued, black power sliding over his form to reveal a humanistic hand that held a small, dark orb. “I would be better matched against your offspring. What can you hope to do to me, Seer?”
 
“I will protect what is mine,” Bishou declared.
 
Sesshoumaru snarled in outrage. “It is my battle. You will stand down.”
 
“Sesshoumaru,” Bishou gasped, her sword falling slightly.
 
“Do you not see where he stands?” he questioned angrily. “It is my place to defeat him as he challenges me!”
 
Kagome felt the gaze of the violent god fall upon her as soon as Sesshoumaru and Bishou turned their attention toward one another. `Oh no.' She inwardly cringed and attempted to take a few steps away from him.
 
“You are right to fear me,” Tsukiyomi grinned, suddenly appearing only a few feet in front of her. “I could crush a little mortal like you without thought.”
 
“You will leave her be!” Sesshoumaru raged, lunging forward to strike him down.
 
Black lightning shot from Tsukiyomi's semi-corporeal form as he laughed at the dog demon's attempt. “You hope to defeat me with your pathetic maneuvers?”
 
The bolt stretched around the young youkai's form like a slithering snake and squeezed tight, forcing the air from his lungs. Kagome watched in horror as her love's eyes flashed red and knew that his strength could not save him. “No!” She screamed, stretching out her hand and saying the words automatically, “Protect Sesshoumaru!
 
A bright, white light gathered around the sash at his waist and exploded, tearing through the darkness as if it were a sheet of rice paper. Tsukiyomi fumed, turning on his newly-made opponent. “You, bitch.
 
Gathering a larger portion of power in his hand, he directed the flare toward her, gleefully watching as the youkai male rushed to save her. Perhaps he would kill them both at the same time. They were beginning to aggravate his already inflamed temper.
 
The miko panicked as she watched the ki and Sesshoumaru hurtling toward her at the same time. `It's going to hit him,' she realized. `No. Gods, no. Please… please… please…' Opening her mouth, she said the only thing she could. “Protect Sesshoumaru.”
 
Sesshoumaru's expression wrenched into one of pain when he was rendered incapable of moving by the cloth tied around his waist. “No! Kagome!”
 
But his words were too late. The darkness shot into her body, spilling red blood over her kimono as well as the grass surrounding her. She gasped for breath and clutched her chest. “I love you, Sesshomaru.”
 
Eyes rolling backward, her body slumped, and Sesshoumaru was released from her hold. The dog released a mournful howl as he clutched the fallen female to his chest.
 
Bishou growled fiercely, standing in front of her son and his future mate. "You will put away your weapon."

"And what will you do to me, Inu? Surely, you do not hope to defeat me?" The moon god laughed. 
 "Such thunder from one so weak."
"You have yet to feel my rage." She hissed and adjusted her stance. "How dare you insult Sesshoumaru's chosen female on the eve of their ceremony. Surely, you would not underestimate me."

Like lightning, the
black bolts of his power shifted around Tsukiyomi's form. "Helpless dog, attempt to entertain me if you wish. It seems that your mate will not make it in time. What a pity. I had hoped to stain the moon red with his blood."

"You overvalue yourself, Tsukiyomi." Bishou's eyes flashed red. Sword drawn back, the female youkai began their death dance. "This will be your downfall."

Swiftly, the god avoided her first blow, allowing his form to dematerialize into the wind only to re
-collect on the other side. "Do you not see the moon in the sky, Inu? I am constant. I am unchanging."

"In your arrogance, you forget. Every night, the moon dies and gives way to the sun." She smirked and dodged his magical sparks. "Your hands are tainted with Uki Mochi's life
blood. Will you disobey Amaterasu again?"

"I owe Amaterasu
nothing," he retorted.

A faint glow l
it the horizon, and Tsukiyomi stopped, frozen by fear.
 
"Brother, brother. Look how you have gone astray."
 
- - - - -