InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Embracing Ice ❯ Fondly Absent ( Chapter 35 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]
I’ve rewritten this chapter *three* times, in three different ways. Let’s hope this one works out for the best.

- - - - -

Embracing Ice

Written By: Yabou

Edited By: Wiccan

Chapter Thirty-Five: Fondly Absent

- - - - -

Her eyes scanned the distant valley for any sign of change or stray movement. The wood of her long bow bit into her flesh as her hand tightened with every passing moment. Somewhere in the darkness, his heart echoed a call of longing. So many nights had passed since they stood side-by-side.

Tilting her head back, she let the breeze capture the loose ends of her hair and reveled in nature’s touch. The playful wind had become her only companion in the passing months. Bishou was locked away at the top of the mountain, wracked with visions that left her weak and helpless. Konton and Sesshoumaru traveled abroad, searching for the reason behind her pain.

Before leaving, the dog general moved his mate into their ancestral home and charged his son’s beloved with her protection. It was a heavy burden to bear and, with each passing day, she felt the weight of it pressing her down.

The miko’s white god-armor fluttered carelessly. It would have been impossible to believe that the light cotton layers held the protection of Osiris had it not been for the unearthly sheen of the fabric. A soft sigh escaped her lips, and she turned from the ledge to reenter the den.

- - - - -

They were screaming inside her head.

In the past few days, they seemed to have gathered more strength and were weakening the chains she held over them. With each struggle, they sent pain rippling through her like she had never before known, and her resolve to remain in the Land of the Living started to slip through her fingers.

‘You wish to be rid of us, yes?

You wish to torture us until we cannot whisper in your mind.

Tell us, Bishou, when did you become so weak?

You could call us before…

Yes, you called.
You called!

But, powerless dog, we are stronger now.

We feed in the night,

Off fears and shadows,

Worries and torment,

And the sickness in your pretty little head.

We will not be banished.

We will not be called.

We will be master.

We are master,

And we have called you.

We will tell you. We will tell you.’

Tightening their hold on her body, the spirits sent a cold stab through her back, causing her to arch and writhe in agony. “Don’t do this,” Bishou cried, her hands moving to clutch her head. “You need me.”

‘Need?

We need nothing, dog.

We need no Seer.’

“I am your vessel,” the inu argued, holding her voice steady with the last bit of strength remaining inside of her.

‘Worthless.

We could find a home in another’s body…

Your son’s, perhaps.

Yes, yes, so much easier to control, he is.’

With a devious cackle, they taunted her.

‘Should we go to the inu prince, Seer?

Should we command his body the way we do yours?

Flesh and bone, you are;

Dirt and dust you will become.

An end is near,

The Eye is clear.

The dragon’s strength rests in his claws,

Mightier than the worthless dog’s paws.

He hunts; he feeds!

He hates; he seethes!

Son and father vengeance seek,

Still, between them, anger, bleak.

This you know; in this, you lie.

Heed our words, Bishou,

You will die.’

The world faded to a dull gray, background noises reverberating through her empty head. Struggling to rise, Bishou ignored the sweat trails painting her face and rose to take a drunken step toward the entrance of the den. ‘My daughter. I have to warn Kagome.’

- - - - -

Shugosha’s tiny form vibrated with happiness as she returned to the recesses of the cave. Though he remained small through the years, the youki offspring had proven to be very useful in the ways of detecting possible intruders. However, considering the light tone of his barks, it seemed there was no danger present on the mountain top today.

Smiling down, Kagome lifted the white dog and cuddled him within the circle of her arms. “As long as you’re with me, Sesshoumaru is fine.” She stated. It calmed her nerves to know that the puppy could not exist without his master, and Sesshoumaru would never chance the possibility of leaving her unprotected. “He’s fine.”

“Kagome,” the softest of whispers sprung up from the dark cavern.

Eyes widening, the miko released the dog and ran to the fallen lady. “Bishou, what are you doing out of bed? You’re not strong enough to go traipsing around the den.”

“Enough,” the demoness hushed her. “A warning, Little One. I feel their return approaching.”

The joy welling up in the human woman’s chest was quickly quenched by the next sentence that passed through Bishou’s lips.

“There will be injuries. Call the servants up from the hillside,” the lady continued, her face hardening as she issued her orders. “There will be no death this eve.”

Holding her tears at bay, Kagome nodded quickly and helped the Western Lady stumble back to her futon. Once the coverlet was tucked firmly around the inu female’s deteriorating form, the miko rose and strode toward the main room. Pausing in the doorway, Kagome’s voice was edged in steel as she called out to Bishou, “When I return, you will tell me what it is you sacrificed to those bastards to get that kind of information, Bishou. Remember, no deaths tonight. You promised.”

With that, she was gone.

Bishou allowed her body to sink into the mound of pillows surrounding her and felt the visions rising to control her Sight once more. “No, Kagome,” her watery voice softly whispered, “not tonight.”

- - - - -

Gritting his teeth, the demon ruler ignored the pain of the poison talon raking through his arm and twisted to block an attack on his unguarded belly. With swift and sure movements, Konton protected himself and kept watch over the battle his son waged against the wailing wraiths that thrived off of the mighty dragon’s youki.

They shrieked fiercely as they sought to protect their life-giver. Sliding over the air currents, the apparitions hurled violent energies toward the young demon lord. “Die!” they cried out as one. “Whorish mongrel, we will have your soul.”

Sesshoumaru effortlessly evaded their wild tactics and focused on separating them from their source. They were a creation of darkness and malevolence. Their only purpose was to defend their provider, while he, in turn, allowed them to sup from his very life force. As a result, they had no mind to create individual, strategic thoughts; their only advantage over him was the fact that they could reproduce from the source when enough power was available.

Slaughtering them was tedious work.

“How can you hope to defeat me, Dog?” the dragon boomed, his massive body taking the blows of the Western Lord with little consequence.

Konton released a malicious chuckle. “You ask me this, and yet you feel the need to sic your ghosts on my son. What fear you, Ryuukotsusei?”

“I will use what I have at my disposal. Will you not do the same?” Ryuukotsusei challenged. “Will you bring me more sport, Konton?”

Slashing at the talon that descended upon him, the demon lord jumped over the dragon’s tail and raced up his back, only stopping once he stood behind the youkai’s neck, clutching the fragile skin beneath the slightly parted scales. “Why do you attack, Ryuukotsusei?”

“Your mate is beautiful, is she not? I have heard many tales about the exquisiteness of the inu Seer.” The dragon’s mocking tone caused Konton to press his claws more tightly into his back. “She could be open to persuasion, if you were dead.”
Konton sneered, “You will manage nothing of the sort.” Jumping off of the dragon demon, he lifted his bloodied hand and carefully licked the blood away. “You will stay away from what is mine, Ryuukotsusei. Your father was my ally, but I will not lie idly by while you contemplate the debauchery of my mate.”

Glancing toward his son, the Western Lord instructed Ryuukotsusei once more. “Call off your phantoms. Do you wish to risk the pounding of my army upon your back?”

With no more than a narrowing of his eyes, Ryuukotsusei silently called back his wraiths.

- - - - -

Their pace was slow as they traveled over the countryside toward the ancestral den. Konton’s injuries were, by far, more substantial than those of his son, but his experience with the like allowed him to ignore the pain and focus on the fact that his lady’s visions would subside. Ryuukotsusei had been neutralized, as far as he was concerned. The simpering young demon was easily riled, but he would think twice before waging war against the Western Territories for the mere beauty of an inu.

His heart leapt in his chest at the thought of his lady. When they had parted, she was tremendously weakened by the strength of her Sight and the spirits that controlled it. That had been many moon cycles before, and he feared that her condition would not improve quickly enough.

The human rulers were becoming agitated. They fought against one another daily, and they had, most recently, began distancing themselves from their stronger, youkai allies. Worry ran rampant in their minds. They could not understand why such a durable species would want to blend with a weaker counterpart.

Younger generations of youkai also called for change. They, too, did not see the profit of assisting those who attained them no short term goals. They could not understand how well the diversity of their two groups could complement one another on a united front. All hope of peace had fallen to the wayside many years ago.

Sesshoumaru’s deep sigh interrupted his brief reflection. Shifting his thoughts, he directed his attention toward the unsettled prince. “You have been distant, my Son.”

“Kagome,” Sesshoumaru responded, wanting to divulge his feelings in a way he had not done in a very long time. “She was unsettled when we left.”

Konton considered his words carefully. “Was there a disagreement?”

“No,” the younger demon responded. “We did not quarrel, but I can detect that she is dissatisfied with our relationship.”

“In what way, my Son?” the youkai lord questioned.

Sesshoumaru’s head bowed, watching the branches passing beneath their feet as they continued toward the den. “Kagome wishes for a litter.”

“Offspring,” Konton repeated. “It is a dangerous time to bring new life into our world, my Son.”
“It is, Father, but it should be my decision to make,” the younger commented. “My mate and I should have the ability to procreate if we so wish it. Your years as a life-maker have passed. Why have you not granted me the right to bear my own?”

“Sesshoumaru,” Konton began uneasily. “To bring life into the world is a heavy responsibility. With it comes the right to rule.”

“You have accepted me as your heir in the eyes of our society,” Sesshoumaru retorted, an angry edge lacing his voice. “Do you wish to rescind it now?”

“You are my heir,” the demon lord countered. “Do not try me, Sesshoumaru. You are not ready to rule. You do not have the knowledge and understanding that you will need to oversee our lands. Only time can give you what you need. Be patient, my Son, and it will come.”

“Patience,” Sesshoumaru furiously replied. “You have no use for another son, yet you deny me the right of my own. You know I will not seek your throne, and, still, you would punish me because of the possibility.”

“Sesshoumaru!” a joyful voice called out from the base of the mountain top den.

Abruptly ending the conversation with his father, Sesshoumaru drank in the sight of the woman bathed in white standing on the hillside. His soul nearly burst with his own happiness.

- - - - -

It seemed like the large den was closing in around her. The hustle and bustle of servants set her on edge, as she had grown unaccustomed to noise within the cavern late at night. Two of the women were still working on stemming the blood flow leaking out of the demon lord’s arm, and the miko from the village was attempting to soothe Bishou’s reawakened visions.

Kagome allowed a soft sigh to escape her mouth as she closed the shoji to their private quarters. Sesshoumaru was already in bed, his white hair fanning out over the dark coverlet in a way that called to her twitching fingers. Her initial attentions had been stolen by the youkai lord and his lady, while the injuries of her own mate were shallow enough to heal without interference.

“Kagome,” Sesshoumaru mumbled, his smoldering gaze sending a heady heat through her body.

Smiling softly, the miko moved toward him, lowering herself onto the pallet and snuggling into his side. “I missed you.”

“And I you,” he responded, tilting his chin to rest against the crown of her hair. “We were gone much longer than I anticipated.”

There was something about his tone that remained distant, as if his mind was occupied elsewhere. “Yes, but you found Ryuukotsusei. That is all that matters. I know that the priestess said that she cannot determine when Bishou’s visions will subside, but I have a feeling that it will be soon.”

“You do?” Sesshoumaru wondered, not doubting the power of a miko’s intuition.

Kagome nodded. “I do.”

“That is good,” he replied, a small part of his form relaxing against the pallet.

The human woman frowned and twisted in his arms to stare down at him. “Is something wrong, Sesshoumaru?”

After a moment’s hesitation, her mate revealed the early conversation with the demon lord. “My Father will not grant us the right to breed.”

“What?” Kagome tensed. “Why would he do something like that?”

“He does not believe that I am capable of ruling the Western Territories,” Sesshoumaru answered, his tone growing cold.

Placing a soothing hand on her chest, she tried to soothe him. “I’m sure he didn’t mean that. What did he say?”

“That I do not have the knowledge and understanding necessary to rule,” the youkai responded, bitterly repeating his father’s words.

“Why would he say that?” Kagome questioned. “He has shown the world that you are his heir. Why would he take that back?”

“He says that he does not deny my right as heir and only that I am not currently capable of handling all of the responsibilities.” Sesshoumaru growled. “It is wrong to deny our right to produce. He knows I will not usurp his territories.”

“I’m sure he didn’t mean it like that Sesshoumaru.”

“You would side with him?” the demonic prince snapped.

Kagome gasped. “I’m doing nothing of the sort. I am saying that you should give him a chance to explain himself. Maybe there is more to this than you have heard. What was the extent of your conversation?”

That was the extent of our conversation,” he returned. “Do you doubt me?”

“Sesshoumaru.” Kagome reared back, sitting up straight. “Really, your relationship with Konton has not been smooth as of late. Give him some time to think it over. I’m sure he’ll come around.”

Propping up on his elbows, Sesshoumaru shook the hair from in front of his face and angrily inquired, “You are not distressed that he will not grant us the right to produce our own litter?”

“Of course,” Kagome answered. “I want children as much as you do, but I know the time will come when it is right for us to have them. Now is not that time, Sesshoumaru. With all of the war, it wouldn’t be right to have any now. I don’t want my sons and daughters to grow up not knowing their father.”

“I am not suggesting that we would have them now, but I do not see the necessity in denying the right,” Sesshoumaru said, laying back down.

Shaking her head, Kagome smiled and leaned forward to plant a light kiss on his nose. “Give him time, Sesshoumaru. It has been far too long since I laid by your side. Please do not waste it with a simple disagreement.”

“I love you,” Sesshoumaru spoke, his quiet words filling her heart.

“I will always love you, my Lord,” she replied and draped her body over his.

- - - - -