InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Enlightened Hearts: Miroku & Sango ficlets ❯ Haunted ( Chapter 2 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

AN: Originally written on 8-1-05.
 
Haunted
No one would dare say Sango was not brave.
She had crawled through her own blood and grave soil to avenge all whom she had lost. She defied Death, snatching back her own life from its bone grip and refusing to let her spirit rest. Even if she lost her body, the knowledge that her family's killer still roamed freely would alone keep her spirit tethered to this world.
The weight of treachery against her kin was too much to leave undone. And she would not let her only living relative stay bound to the one who had caused it all.
Her scar burned, reminding her of the one that stole everything from her. Often she would reach back to touch her scar, fingernails grazing over the marred skin that rippled over her back. It itched in unease. It itched for revenge.
With its pain, she could hear faraway screams of her fallen comrades. The memory of sharp sickles stirred her blood and drowned the light in her brain. Dreams of hollow faces and blood-drained bodies surrounded her, crowding closer to her and then seeping inside her flesh. They did not scare her. She was thankful to see them, rejuvenating her zeal to fight on.
She had always felt them clinging to her, buzzing around her like angry hornets. They moved with her, feeling each blow she made to her enemy and bringing them all closer to redemption. Someday she would give them the finality they deserved. She lived and fought and slept each day for them, and trying to free her brother as well.
This was how she lived, proving that she had more courage than most. After all, she had squirmed from beyond her own grave to be here, to live and perhaps die for her family's honor.
FIN