InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Hachinintai ❯ Chapter Seven ( Chapter 7 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Hachinintai
Band of Eight
 
By Anonymous Laughter
 
Disclaimer: I do not own the characters created by Rumiko Takahashi.
 
Chapter Seven
“I'm so bored.” Bankotsu grumbled. It had been three days since he had left the `future' and explained to everyone the terms Kagome's family had set up for the youngest in the group. Suikotsu agreed that it was the fairest idea. `It's not like she's an orphan' he had said. Now they were investigating rumors about the demon sword-smiths in the area. His usual entertainment had nowadays mostly involved bantering with Kagome and now he was out of a source of amusement.
It was about five thirty in the morning and he had already finished his morning training. Jakotsu was curled up next to a tree as was Suikotsu, Kagome's mutt was curled up close to the gray ashes of the dead campfire and Kyoukotsu was snoring away, flat on his back. His snoring reached decibels so loud normal people didn't actually hear it properly enough to become sleep deprived. But back to his problem. He was bored and he couldn't poke Kagome awake to be entertained.
“I'll just do what I did before I met her,” Bankotsu said confidently, then blinked, “What was it I did again?”
If Kagome were here she'd probably tell him, “Honestly Bankotsu-kun, can't you keep your mind on anything other than battle for longer then two minutes?”
“I do though. I think about Banryu and my training regiment, too.”
I'm talking about normal things! Why can't you remember what you did for fun before you met me? Your memory isn't that bad…yet.”
“What do you mean by `yet'?”
Probably when you're an old man you'll start to forget things and repeat the same story over and over to anyone who listens to you. That's what my Grampa does. But if you're losing your memory already then maybe when you're Grandpa's age you'll only remember things for five minutes or so!”
Enraged Bankotsu shouted back, “How dare you say that to me! My memory is GREAT! I used to do kick flips when I was bored! And I'm good at them too!”
“Bankotsu-kun,” Jakotsu muttered sleepily from the base of his tree, “Who are you yelling at?”
“Kagome-kun of course,” Bankotsu said before he looked around the campsite. No Kagome. And now Jakotsu was staring at him as if he'd gone insane.
“And here I thought Suikotsu was the mental one.” The feminine teen muttered.
A growl came from where said doctor/madman lay and he opened one eye, “I'll have you know that mornings are not the time to get me irritated. The `good doctor' likes to sleep in usually.”
A loud yawn came from their newest companion and as he stretched he asked, “Why are you all awake so early?”
“Because Bankotsu-kun is yelling at his imaginary friends,” Jakotsu said with a sleepy grin.
“Kagome-kun is not imaginary,” Bankotsu defended himself with a frustrated scowl, “but since we're all awake now why don't we head over to Fukosha to find the location of that demon, `Tutusai.' Then we'll be one step closer to getting the best weapons in all Japan!”
With many groans they packed up their supplies and headed east toward the small village. Bankotsu gladly carried the majority of the heavy materials (`This'll make me stronger no doubt.' He thought to himself.) “If those directions were right we should be there in the late morning.”
“Alright then mutt, I'll tell you again. I'm not going to coddle or carry you like Kagome-kun does so you better keep up,” Bankotsu said to his friend's stupid (in his opinion) dog. Aza gladly trotted beside Bankotsu as they walked smelling patches of grass and happily chasing grasshoppers in the path.
They were coming up to the village when he started acting strange though. He turned to look at the Kotsus and growled warningly at them. “What's wrong, Aza?” Jakotsu asked with a quirked eyebrow.
Bankotsu took a step closer and Aza bristled and began to growl at him threateningly, “Stupid mutt, what's wrong with you? I'm going in that village and there's nothing you can do to stop me.”
It was a contest of wills. The closer he went towards the village the more agitated Aza became until the little pup couldn't stand it. He leaped at Bankotsu's chest and due to the weight of all the supplies on his back, knocked him on flat to the ground then barked warningly in his face. “Get off me you stupid mutt!”
Aza just growled at him and licked his face, “Ugh, disgusting. Get off!” He shoved the pup off his chest but as he attempted to stand up the little puppy bit into his arm and pulled, trying to make him stay sitting down.
He hissed in pain and just as he unsheathed his katana to kill him Jakotsu asked, “Do you really think you ought to kill Kagome-chan's dog. Maybe you did something to upset him.”
“I didn't do anything! This dog is insane, that's all. And Kagome-kun would get over it.” Bankotsu fumed while Aza savagely held him down. The puppy was pretty strong for its size he had to (reluctantly) admit to himself.
“I think he probably can probably sense something wrong and doesn't want us to go in the village,” Kyoukotsu rumbled causing everyone to stare at him incredulously.
Suikotsu seemed to think then nodded and said, “It is possible. One of us should get close to see if anything is wrong then we can decide to go in or bypass the village.”
“I'll go then,” Bankotsu said, “If this dumb dog is right I won't chance anyone else. I'll be back in ten minutes or so. Now let go of me!” He shook his arm and he could swear the mutt glared at him before he let go of his arm. He left the supplies with everyone and as he left he muttered, “I hate dogs.”
He swiftly trekked up the road towards the village before changing tactics and instead used the branches of trees along the road to approach the village stealthily. `I sort of feel like a ninja.' He mused before blinking in shock at the sight of the village beyond the last tree. There was a strange greenish-yellow fog covering the ground up to about waist high and he could see dead bodies everywhere.
“Not a drop of blood was spilt it seems,” Bankotsu observed out loud, “That must be a poisonous mist created by a demon.”
“Foolish boy, I am no demon!” Bankotsu looked into the mist to see a bald middle-aged man step into sight, glaring at him threw silted eyes. He was a bit overweight and carried a strange box with straps on his back. He didn't seem happy at all. He reached the tree and scowled up at the contemplative leader of the `soon to be greatest team of mercenaries in history.'
“So you made that poison mist?”
“Yes, and now I'll have to kill you as well. All who inhabit this village must be destroyed. Don't worry though, after my poison kills you it will decompose your body to bones by tomorrow so no carrion beasts will devour you.” He lifted the box and was about to open it when Bankotsu jumped on him. The man tumbled over with an `oof' and Bankotsu held his katana to the poison-maker's throat.
“I don't intend to be killed by poison and I don't inhabit this village. I am traveling with my team, looking for the whereabouts of the demon sword-smith Tutusai. Tell me your name now or I will be forced to drive it out of you.”
“M-Mukotsu. My name is Mukotsu,” the man stuttered in fear and anger.
His Inner Kagome reprimanded him, “Why are you being so mean to that poor man? If you want him in our team just ask! You don't have to scare him so much!”
`She's not really here, I can ignore her if I want to now,' he thought before saying, “Well my name is Bankotsu. I'm the founder of my growing team of mercenaries and I want you to join up. Just follow me and we'll get back to the others in no time.”
He sheathed his sword and helped the man up (his Inner Kagome was so proud) before he decided to make some conversation, “So why did you kill off an entire village?”
Mukotsu snorted and said, “If you must know I was scorned by the woman I loved. She then ran into the arms of another man and I could take no more. If I could not have her, no one could! They called me crazy and tried to lock me away so I released the mists of death upon them this morning. Nobody likes me and everyone betrays me eventually.”
“Hm, that's too bad. But stick with me and I promise not to betray you. Kagome would kill me if I abused the newest member of our team.” Bankotsu grumbled.
“Is this Kagome your…girlfriend?” Mukotsu sounded interested.
Bankotsu scowled, “Ugh, who needs that kind of distraction in my life. No Kagome's more like my good friend who is also a bratty little sister. She's not even here now and she's still getting on my nerves.”
You're so mean, Bankotsu. I'm only trying to help you and you're always being so rude. I don't even hityou anymore.”
“It's like her voice is following me around no matter what I do,” Bankotsu sighed.
`Sounds like blooming love to me,' Mukotsu thought, `But I better not say anything out loud. This kid's probably got a real short temper.'
“Guys, we have to go around the village,” Bankotsu announced, “This is Mukotsu and he'll be joining us. Apparently he's some sort of poison expert. Mukotsu-san this is Jakotsu-kun, Suikotsu-kun and Kyoukotsu-kun. Kagome-kun will be rejoining us in four days.”
“Hello new comrades. I hope the bonds we create will grow strong through our journeys together,” Mukotsu said with a beaming smile, `Maybe I've finally found a place I belong.'
END CHAPTER SEVEN
^_^ Thank you very much for those of you who reviewed the previous chapter and I hope you enjoyed this sadly Kagome-less episode. She'll be back next time, I promise!