InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Here Comes Santa Claws ❯ Santa's Workshop ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Look, it's another chapter! I think it's time I spice things up by adding a little competition. If I didn't mention this before the story is Inu/Kag. But where's the fun if things go smoothly for the two?
 
Enjoy!
 
HERE COMES SANTA CLAWS
 
Chapter 3: Santa's Workshop
 
Voices woke Kagome from the most peaceful slumber she had ever enjoyed on Christmas Eve. She rolled over and buried her face in her pillow, half expecting Souta to pounce on her at any minute.
 
The rule of the house was that nobody could go downstairs on Christmas morning until everybody was up. And with Souta, it was impossible to sleep in later than six. Mama wouldn't let him disturb anyone before then.
 
She was drifting back into a light doze when a cheerful shout from somewhere jerked her more fully awake.
 
“Souta, go back to bed,” she groaned. “I'm not ready to get up.”
 
“Get up, you lazy bitch. I don't have time sit here all day!”
 
Kagome's eyes flew open. That wasn't Souta's voice. Confused memories from last night crowded her mind and she sat up abruptly.
 
A boy with long white hair sat in a chair next to the bed. He scowled at her.
 
“Watch it!” he snapped. “You sit up too fast and you'll just get dizzy and faint.”
 
Kagome's head spun. She squinched her eyes shut and took several deep, steadying breaths. Cautiously, she opened them again. The boy was still there.
 
“Who are you?” she demanded. Conscious that she was clad only in a pair of pajamas, she pulled the covers up under her chin. “What are you doing in my room? Where's my family? You haven't hurt them, have you?”
 
The white-haired boy rolled his eyes. “I always get stuck with the demanding ones,” he muttered under his breath. Louder, he said, “Listen, bitch. As far as I know, your family is fine. Even the stupid cat is fine. You—“
 
Kagome had finally noticed a few things. “This isn't my bedroom!” she shrieked. “Where am I? What—“
 
Inuyasha lunged forward to clamp a hand over her mouth, flattening his ears in irritation. Kagome noticed that his fingers were capped in vicious-looking claws. Her eyes strayed upwards to the two white ears twitching on top of his head.
 
“Just be quiet and I'll explain.” Slowly, Inuyasha removed his hand. Satisfied that she wasn't going to scream, he sighed. “This wasn't supposed to happen. It was an accident. I thought I could fix it, but, well, things got complicated. You're safe for now. This is Kaede's house at the North Pole, and—Are you listening to me?”
 
Kagome hadn't really been paying attention, distracted by the soft, fuzzy triangles poking out of his snow-white hair. I wonder if they're as soft as they look. She reached up with both hands and grabbed the tips of his ears.
 
Inuyasha's eyes went impossibly wide. Kagome didn't notice, more interested in stroking and tugging gently on the appendages. She smiled.
 
“They're so soft,” she said. Inuyasha blushed and made strangled noises.
 
The door flew open. “Hey, Inuyahsa, is Kagome awake?” A small form launched himself onto the bed. Shippou sat up and regarded the two teens. “Why is she touching your ears? You never let anybody touch your ears.”
 
Kagome hastily released Inuyasha, suddenly aware that she had been fondling a strange boy's ears.
 
“My name's Shippou, Kagome.” The small fox smiled brightly at her.
 
“Nice to meet you, Shippou,” Kagome responded automatically. “I'm—How did you know my name?”
 
Shippou turned disapproving eyes on Inuyasha. “Didn't you explain anything, Inuyasha? That's what you were supposed to be doing.”
 
“I didn't get a chance,” Inuyasha protested. “You interrupted.”
 
“Interrupted what?” Shippou snorted. “She was rubbing your ears.”
 
“Ooooh. Sounds promising.” Miroku grinned at them from the open doorway. Sango peered over his shoulder. “Did we miss something exciting?”
 
“What. Is. Going. On?” Kagome glared at the occupants of the room. “Who are you people? And what am I doing here instead of in my own bed where I belong?”
 
Everybody fell silent and exchanged uncomfortable glances. “Get dressed, Kagome.” Inuyasha ordered. Only then did Kagome notice the small pile of clothes on the nightstand. “There's a lot we need to explain.”
 
^**^
 
“So I'm stuck here? For an entire year?”
 
Kagome sat in yet another room, dressed in a warm white sweater, a pair of jeans, and fur-lined boots. The clothes fit surprisingly well. They seemed to be brand-new, and not hand-me-downs.
 
She had seen other people on the short walk to this room, but only the first four she had seen were present. Sango, Miroku, Inuyasha, and Shippou exchanged glances.
 
“We're really sorry, Kagome,” Sango said earnestly.
 
“I promise not to tell anybody what I've seen,” Kagome protested. “Why can't I go home?”
 
“It's not that simple, child.”
 
Everyone looked around at the sound of the elderly voice. Kaede walked into the room, the two-tailed firecat in her kitten form at her heels. Kirara mewed and jumped onto Sango's lap.
 
Miroku started to rise, but Kaede waved him back down. She walked over to the large desk filling up one corner of the room and sat down in the chair behind it. Her single eye glittered with compassion as she regarded Kagome. A black patch covered the other one.
 
“As you have been told,” Kaede said, “this is the North Pole. This is my house, and these are my helpers.”
 
Kagome narrowed her eyes. “And you expect me to believe that you're Santa Claus?” She glanced at Inuyasha. “But he's the one I saw. Isn't he Santa Claus?
 
“Stupid legends,” Inuyasha muttered under his breath. “They always make things so complicated.”
 
Kagome reached over and tugged on a lock of Inuyasha's hair. The boy yelped and jerked away. “You have the white hair, but where's your beard? Santa Claus always has a big white beard.
 
“The same place as the freaky flying reindeer and little people with pointed ears, bitch!” Inuyasha retorted. “I deliver the presents! I don't have to fit your ridiculous stereotype!”
 
Kagome's face turned red. She drew breath to yell at him, but Kaede cleared her throat, gently interrupting the fight before it could get started.
 
“I am older than you could possibly imagine, child,” Kaede rebuked gently. “Traveling the world is for the young. Inuyasha is my apprentice. This was his first solo mission.”
 
“And he screwed it up,” Kagome retorted. “That's why I'm here. I want to go home.”
 
Kaede sighed. “Inuyasha brought you here, which, I'll admit, is the start of the problems. The night is over and I have sealed the barrier. No one will be able to leave this domain until it is reopened next Christmas. And... She hesitated. “You have great potential within you, child. It comes from your father and should be trained. But we will speak more of that later.”
 
Kagome abruptly deflated. “I really am stuck here?”
 
“Don't worry,” Sango hastened to reassure her. “It's not so bad here. I'm sure you'll like it, and the year will be over before you know it.” Kagome smiled wanly.
 
“Has the barrier taken any more hits, Kaede?” Miroku asked abruptly. “Do you need me?”
 
“Not right now, Miroku,” Kaede said. “The barrier is still strong.”
 
“Feh.” Inuyasha snorted. “That coward would never dream of attacking directly. Subterfuge is more his style. And the wolves have been on the alert for anything out of the ordinary coming across the barrier.”
 
“Probably,” Miroku agreed. “It's just that I have a bad feeling. I'll feel better after I patrol the border myself. Would you like to come, Sango?”
 
Sango hesitated, looking at Kagome. Inuyasha snorted and climbed to his feet. “I'll go. Stay here and look after Kagome, Sango. Get her settled. Talk about girl stuff if you have to. I'll be back later.” He strode out the door. Miroku cast a sympathetic glance at Kagome and followed.
 
Kagome scowled at the door. “How rude.”
 
“Miroku?” Sango looked surprised. Then her expression cleared. “Oh. You mean Inuyasha. He's not bad. It just takes a while to get to know him.”
 
“Like a lifetime,” muttered Shippou.
 
“Sango is right, Kagome,” Kaede said. “Inuyasha is a good soul. He just has a rough exterior. Try to get along. He will be your guardian for the duration of your stay.” She turned her attention to some paperwork on her desk, clearly dismissing them.
 
“What?” Kagome protested. Sango gave her a quieting glare and pulled her out of the room. Shippou and Kirara scampered after them.
 
“I don't believe this,” Kagome complained once they were clear of the office and walking down another hallway. “Inuyasha is the reason I'm stuck here. And he's supposed to be my guardian. I am not a little kid! I don't need some overprotective jerk following me around.”
 
“That isn't what Kaede meant,” Sango said. Kagome stopped ranting to look at her.
 
“It is Inuyasha's fault,” Shippou said. He tilted his head to look up at the two girls while they walked. “That is one reason why Kaede wants him to be your guardian. But it's also to protect you.”
 
“Protect me?” Kagome demanded. “Protect me from what?”
 
Just then they turned a corner into a large open space. It was like a large warehouse, if a warehouse could be the size of several football fields. And it was filled with people.
 
Benches and tables covered a large portion of the floor. One wall was taken up with what looked like roll after roll of brightly colored wrapping paper, ribbons, and bows. Neatly labeled boxes were stacked against another wall.
 
People moved among the tables, filling more boxes, putting the finishing touches on other projects, or just talking. They glanced curiously at them when they entered the room, but soon returned to their tasks. It was then that Kagome noticed something. Not all of the people were human.
 
“What are they?” Kagome asked. She stared as a man with cloven feet and goat horns growing from his forehead walked by carrying a large box. “Some of them aren't human.”
 
“Kaede is an equal opportunity employer,” Sango explained proudly. “Most of them are demons. Some are here for various reasons, but we all get jobs to do.”
 
“Demons don't exist.” Kagome looked nervously at a giant cockroach that scuttled by, dragging a wagon piled with more boxes.
 
Shippou surprised Kagome by jumping at her. She caught him automatically in her arms. “I'm a demon. Specifically, a kitsune, or fox demon. And Kirara's a demon.”
 
Kagome shuddered. “Aren't demons supposed to be mean? I thought they ate people, not made Christmas presents.”
 
“Do I look mean to you?” Shippou asked indignantly. “That's why we live here. Kaede understands us.”
 
“I'm sorry, Shippou.” Kagome hugged the small demon. “Is Inuyasha a demon? I noticed his, ah, ears.”
 
Sango's expression became closed. “Inuyasha is a half demon.”
 
“What is the other half?” Kagome asked.
 
“Sango!”
 
They looked up as someone hailed them. He wove his way among the various demons and humans towards them. Kagome noticed that his ears were pointed, which immediately placed him in the non-human category.
 
“I heard that the mutt screwed up last night,” he said cheerfully. “I told Kaede that I would have been a better choice, but she had to choose dog breath.” He sighed. “Oh, well. There will be other opportunities.”
 
Kagome took the chance to study the newcomer while he talked to Sango. He looked to be at least as rough as Inuyasha, dressed in animal pelts and with a wild wolfish air about him. At least he seemed to be in a better mood than Inuyasha.
 
“And this must be Kagome.” The wolf demon took her hands in his, dislodging Shippou who scrambled for her shoulder before he fell. “I am Kouga, leader of the wolf demon tribe. Or what's left of it. I can't believe dog breath has abandoned you already.”
 
Kagome carefully freed her hands. “I haven't been abandoned. Sango and Shippou are showing me around. But thank you for being concerned.”
 
Kouga smiled. “I'm sure you'll love it here, Kagome. It's been a long time since we've seen somebody as beautiful as you here.” He ignored Sango's sound of disgust. “If there's anything you need, anything at all, just be sure to let me know.”
 
“Don't you have work to do?” Sango asked pointedly. “I thought you were supposed to be patrolling the borders with your wolves.”
 
Kouga shrugged. “Nothing's going to happen. The barrier is at full strength now that the holiday rush is over. There's nothing to worry about.” He smiled winningly at Kagome. “And I heard that dog breath brought home a delectable little morsel. So, I came to see for myself.”
 
Kagome “eep”ed and ducked behind Sango. “I thought you said these demons don't eat people,” she hissed to the older girl. “This one thinks I'm a `delectable little morsel.'” She smiled nervously at the puzzled wolf demon. “Why don't you find somebosomething else to eat? I wouldn't be a very satisfying meal. I'm just skin and bones. Really!”
 
Sango made a funny choking sound. It took a minute for Kagome to realize that she was trying not to laugh. “Kouga isn't going to eat you! He just talks that way. He's quite friendly once you get to know him.”
 
“Oooh.” Comprehension flooded Kouga's face. He reached around Sango and grabbed Kagome's hands. “Don't worry, beautiful Kagome, I never eat humans anymore. Too greasy and fatty. Besides, who would want to eat humans when the cooks here make the most wonderful meatloaf in the world?”
 
“Come on, Kouga!” Two more demons stood on the far side of the room, near one of the doors. A pack of wolves milled around them. “We need to get back to our patrol.”
 
Kouga gave Kagome's hands a brief squeeze before releasing her. “Feel free to talk to me anytime if you start to get homesick. And don't let dog breath push you around. Later, Kagome.” He sprinted for the door, narrowly avoiding collisions and other catastrophes.
 
He seems nice, I guess,” Kagome commented, watching him run away. At least he didn't seem interested in eating her.
 
“That's Kouga,” Sango said. “You'll want to watch out for him, though. Especially around Inuyasha.”
 
“Oh?”
 
“Kouga and Inuyasha are rivals,” Shippou told her. “They've never gotten along, and they're always fighting over something. I think Kouga's jealous that Kaede chose Inuyasha to be her apprentice.”
 
“He wouldn't hurt me, would he?”
 
No. Just--just be careful,” Sango said, worry in her brown eyes. “Okay?”
 
Kagome smiled as reassuringly as she could. “I'll be fine, Sango.”
 
^**^
 
Food for Thought: How many roads must a man travel down before he admits he is lost?