InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Here Comes Santa Claws ❯ A Christmas Story ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Hey there! Here's another chapter! Drop me a review and let me know if you're enjoying the story!
 
Till next time!
 
HERE COMES SANTA CLAWS
 
Chapter 6: A Christmas Story
 
“Most of us are here because we have nowhere else to go.” Sango stared into her tea instead of looking at Kagome. “Kaede's been here longer than I have. She's never said who was here before.”
 
“I always thought that Santa Claus was a little old man in a red suit,” Kagome said, “not an old woman, or a grumpy boy with dog ears on his head. Where do the legends come from?”
 
“The legends were in place even before I came here.” Sango looked at Kagome gravely, with a wisdom far beyond her years.
 
Kagome looked at Shippou. “Why are you here?”
 
Sango and Shippou exchanged looks. This made Kagome mad. She was tired of people avoiding her questions. What was going on?
 
“Tell me!” Kagome demanded, clenching her fingers around her tea mug. “If this is some sort of conspiracy to kidnap children to work in your underground toy factory... My mama and grandfather won't rest until they find me! And if you try to take my little brother, then I'll make your lives miserable!”
 
“No!” Sango looked genuinely startled. “We don't kidnap children. You coming here was an accident! I swear!”
 
“We understand about family, Kagome.” Shippou patted her knee. “It's just that most of us have really painful stories from our past that we'd rather not think about. You see, my parents were killed by two powerful demons.”
 
“Oh!” Kagome's eyes glistened with sympathy.
 
“I was too small to do anything.” Shippou looked down and clenched his fists. “But I was determined to avenge them. Luckily, Inuyasha found me before I got myself killed. He defeated the Thunder Brothers and let me come with him.”
 
“Was that how you came here?” Kagome asked. She picked up the small demon and cuddled him on her lap. Shippou sniffed, wiping away a tear.
 
“Not right away,” he admitted. “I hung around with Inuyasha for a while. He let me, probably because he knew I had nowhere else to go. But things just got worse. Demons, especially half demons are not wanted near human settlements. One day an old woman approached us. She said that she had been watching us and wanted to offer us a place to stay. That's how we came here.”
 
Kagome had a feeling that Shippou was skimping on the details, but didn't press him. She could sense how difficult it had been to tell her that much. “I'm glad you're here,” she whispered, “because I like you very much.” Shippou blushed with pleasure.
 
“Shippou's story is close to what it was like for most of the demons that are here.” Sango smiled at Kirara who had curled up next to her. “The firecat habitat was destroyed by humans. They were also hunted for their pelts. The wolf demons were almost entirely wiped out by a stronger demon. Everyone has their story.”
 
“What about you?” Kagome regarded Sango curiously. She didn't want to push if the subject was painful, but she felt that these people owed her some explanations.
 
“I came from a village of demon exterminators.” Sango looked at Kagome, her eyes full of pain. “While a group of us were out on a routine mission, our village was attacked and completely destroyed. There were no survivors.”
 
Kagome raised a hand to her mouth. “That's awful.”
 
Sango only nodded. “The worst was to come. The mission turned out to be a trap. We were tricked. My father, my friends—they were killed. And my little brother... he, too, is out of reach.”
 
Kagome was silent for a long time, staring at a spot on the table. When she looked up, her eyes were dark with compassion. “I'm so sorry. But I'm glad you told me. How long have you been here?”
 
Sango and Shippou exchanged glances again. They didn't want to lie to their friend. She seemed to be adjusting well, but they weren't sure if she could handle all of the truth.
 
Kagome was getting impatient again. She had thought that they had stopped hiding things from her. There were some things they wouldn't say, and that was okay. But a direct question should not be ignored.
 
Kagome glared at Shippou, and the kid squirmed. “How long have you been here?”
 
“800 years,” Shippou mumbled. Kagome blinked, not sure if she had heard him correctly.
 
“It's true.” Shippou looked at her, defiant. “I wouldn't lie to you.”
 
“You don't look like you're 800 years old.” Kagome stared at the kitsune as if she expected him to grow old and turn to dust before her eyes.
 
“It's this place,” Sango hastened to explain. “Time stops inside the barrier. None of us have grown any older since we first came here.”
 
“How old are you?” Kagome asked her suspiciously.
 
Sango looked uncomfortable. “I've been here for 500 years. I won't grow any older unless I go outside the barrier. That's true for any of us.”
 
“But then why does Kaede need an apprentice? If time stops then she should be able to be Santa forever.”
 
“That's the problem,” Shippou admitted. “The one chosen to go outside the barrier is subject to time, but only in a limited manner. Kaede grew old eventually. The same will happen to Inuyasha. It just takes longer than normal. Inuyasha can deliver Christmas presents for several millennia yet.”
 
Kagome looked stunned. “Are all of you hundreds of years old?”
 
“No.” Shippou frowned thoughtfully. “I think Hojo has only been here for about fifty. And some of the baby animals only arrived last year.”
 
“Even the animals don't age?”
 
“Only the special ones brought into the village to be Christmas presents,” Shippou corrected. “I think Kaede did something so the other animals can live normal lives.”
 
Something occurred to Kagome. “Does that mean that I'll still be only fifteen when I go home? School was bad enough this year! I don't want to repeat it!”
 
“It'll be okay.” Sango tried to look confident, but Kagome could see that she was worried. “I'm sure Kaede has thought of that. She's very busy, but I'm sure we can talk to her.” She reached across the table and took one of Kagome's hands in hers. “We want you to be happy here, Kagome. Everything will work out, you'll see.”
 
Kagome smiled despite the sinking feeling in the pit of her stomach. “I'm sure you're right. It's only a year. What could possibly go wrong?”
 
^**^
 
Souta curled up next to the Christmas tree, watching but not really listening to the news program on the television. He glanced to where the stockings were all hung in a row, filled with goodies that hadn't been touched. His eyes clouded when he saw the one labeled “Kagome.”
 
Grandpa sat on the floor, pretending to read the paper. From the other room, he could hear Mama saying a few more phrases before hanging up the phone. She walked into the room, looking as if she had aged ten years in only one night. Souta looked up expectantly.
 
“Well?” Grandpa asked. “Do they have any leads?”
 
Mama collapsed into a nearby chair with a sigh. She closed her eyes and shook her head. “Nothing. There is no sign of forced entry. And the police won't do anything until she's been missing for at least forty-eight hours. They're treating this like another runaway child.”
“Kagome would never run away.” Souta stoutly defended his sister. He already missed his clever sister. She always had time for him and was always willing to share stories of the dad he didn't remember. But...
 
Souta bit his lip. Maybe Kagome was mad at him. She always got depressed on Christmas and he made her participate in the stupid rituals anyway. He unwound himself from his spot on the floor and went over to Mama.
 
“I'm sorry if I made Kagome run away, Mama.” He tried not to cry. Kagome would scold him for bawling like a baby. Besides, Mama needed him to be strong.
 
“Souta!” Mama opened her eyes, looking shocked. She reached out and pulled her son into her lap. Souta sighed, feeling almost content. “This is not your fault. This is not anybody's fault. We will find Kagome, you have to believe that.”
 
Grandpa shifted and looked uncomfortable. “There are the stories.”
 
“What stories, Grandpa?”
 
“Well.” Grandpa took his time folding the paper and stacking it on the table in front of him. “There are old legends of people disappearing, never to be seen again. It always happened on Christmas Eve, and there was never sign of a struggle or anything.”
 
Souta wrinkled his nose. “I don't know, Grandpa. People are always disappearing. How could Christmas have anything to do with it?”
 
“I don't remember all of the details,” Grandpa said. “But all of the stories agree that the people who disappeared had hit rock bottom and had nowhere else to go.”
 
“That's not Kagome!” Mama pushed Souta off of her lap and stood up. “She has a family who loves her. Now, I don't want you filling Souta's head with any more of these tales. I'm going into the kitchen to cook breakfast.” She turned and left, twisting her hands nervously in her apron.
 
“Do you think that's true, Grandpa?” Souta crept closer, his eyes beginning to brighten with hope. “Could that have happened to Kagome? When she explains that it was all a misunderstanding, then she'll come home, right? And we'll have Christmas and she won't be mad at me?”
 
“Kagome's not mad at you, Souta,” Grandpa reassured him. “I have a feeling that she's safe, and she'll return to us as soon as she can. She wouldn't want you to worry, you know.” Grandpa clapped his hands together and tried to look cheerful. “Why don't you open a present? That'll make you feel better.”
 
“No thanks, Grandpa. It's not Christmas without Kagome. I'll wait until she comes back.” Souta wandered over to sit next to the Christmas tree again, barely glancing at the stacks of unopened gifts. Instead, he fixed his eyes on Kagome's stocking. On impulse, he closed his eyes and made a wish. I wish I knew if Kagome was safe and happy. And I want a sign saying that she'll come back to us. Please come back to us, sis. I miss you.
 
“Breakfast is ready!”
 
Souta sighed and went into the eating area. He wasn't hungry, but he obediently tried to eat. The eggs tasted like sawdust and the orange juice had no flavor at all. After a while, he was reduced to just pushing the food around on his plate.
 
Mama kept glancing at the phone, as if willing it to ring and deliver news of Kagome. Grandpa chewed and swallowed, but you could tell he wasn't really tasting the food. The only one who cleaned his plate was Buyo. The fat cat gobbled down every crumb and nosed his bowl, looking for more.
 
Ping!
 
Souta looked around. He could have sworn he heard something. Sounded like the tinkling of a bell.
 
“Did you hear that, Mama?”
 
“Hear what, dear?”
 
Ping!
 
Souta jumped up from his chair. “There it is again! I know I hear something that time!” He abandoned his unfinished breakfast and raced into the other room.
 
“Souta!” Mama called after him. “Souta, what are you doing? Come back here and take your dishes to the sink.” When he didn't respond, she frowned and followed him to the other room. Grandpa shrugged and trailed after her.
 
“What are you doing?” Mama demanded. Souta was busily searching the Christmas tree for... something.
 
“I heard something, Mama,” Souta replied, without stopping his search. “And when I came in here, something was glowing on the tree. Help me find it!”
 
Mama and Grandpa looked mystified, but joined Souta in pawing through the branches of the tree.
 
Needs water, Mama thought as dry needles fell with each sweep of her hand. After several minutes, she was getting frustrated. It was one thing to humor her son upon the disappearance of his sister, but this was going too far. She was ready to call a halt to the whole thing. Maybe Souta should see a psychiatrist.
 
“What's this?” Grandpa stopped pushing branches around to pull out something wedged close to the trunk of the tree. It was a piece of paper rolled up in a tight scroll and tied with a piece of red ribbon.
 
“That must be it!” Souta grabbed the scroll. He started to unroll it, but paused, noticing something written on it. He handed it to his mother. “It's addressed to you, Mama.”
 
Mystified, Mama accepted the scroll. “Mrs. Higurashi” was indeed written on it. She removed the ribbon and unrolled it, quickly scanning the contents. “Oh my!”
 
“What does it say, Mama?”
 
Mama just shook her head and handed the paper to Grandpa. He cleared his throat and squinted at the words.
 
Dear Mrs. Higurashi,
 
You don't know me, but I am a friend. I am writing to let you know that your daughter, Kagome, is safe. There was a slight mix-up on Christmas Eve and she will be staying with us for a while. She is perfectly safe, and will be well taken care of.
 
I know that you have no reason to trust me, but believe me when I say that we mean no harm to your daughter. She is a wonderful child and is adjusting to the change well. Kagome has tremendous gifts and I will be taking the opportunity to train her in their use. This is for her own protection as well as yours.
 
Do not worry too much. Your son, Souta, and your father need you to be strong. And your husband would not want you to be sad. He was once under my guardianship and spoke of you often after he had left to make his own way in the world. He is still missed very much. Just know that his sacrifice all those years ago was to keep all of us safe.
 
Look for Kagome to return to you in one year's time. Already she has made friends who will watch over her. I promise you that I will protect and guide her to the best of my ability.
 
Best wishes,
 
Kaede (aka Santa Claus)
 
“Mama? Is Kagome at the North Pole with Santa Claus?”
 
^**^
 
Food for Thought: A fine is a tax for doing wrong.
A tax is a fine for doing well.