InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Here Comes Santa Claws ❯ He Sees You When You're Sleeping ( Chapter 9 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Those who read my profile know that I had some RL issues come up in the past couple of months. My dog died suddenly and unexpectedly from a cancerous growth on his heart in February. That killed my muse for a while. Then I was working on my MG novel. Then I was just lazy.
 
But here's another chapter! I hope it was worth the wait! Enjoy!
 
Disclaimer: I don't own Inuyasha
 
HERE COMES SANTA CLAWS
 
Chapter 9: He Sees You When You're Sleeping
 
Kagome stepped outside and wrinkled her nose. It was another typical day at the roof of the world—freezing and monochromatic. Fat gray clouds loomed over the white landscape, little puffs of wind kicking up ice crystals as it blew across the snow.
 
Despite everything she had always thought was true about the North Pole during the winter months, it was not the dark of night here. Somehow, Kaede had enchanted her barrier to create regular periods of daylight and darkness for everything contained within the magical shield. She wouldn't explain how it worked, only to say that people were happier if it was bright while they were awake and dark while they slept. Now, if only she would do something about the endless snow.
 
Kagome scowled at the winter wonderland. “I wish it would rain or something.”
 
“That would be a headache,” a sarcastic voice drawled. Kagome turned to see Inuyasha strolling towards her along the churned up snow that seemed to indicate the only road in the village. “People slipping and breaking bones on the frozen snow, roofs caving in from the weight of the ice—Yep, that's just what we need.”
 
Kagome glared at the irritating dog demon. “I just meant that I'm tired of all the snow. I want variety. I want seasons, like we have back home.”
 
Inuyasha stopped beside her. “We have seasons.” He tucked his hands into his sleeves. “Winter just happens to be the longest one.”
 
Kagome drew breath for a sharp retort, and then let it out. Another pointless fight with Mr. Annoying wasn't worth it. She'd just yell until her head hurt and spend the rest of the day in a rotten mood. Better just to ignore him.
 
Resolutely, she studied a clump of bushes growing on one side of the house. After a few minutes, she snuck a glance out of the corner of her eye. Damn, he was still there.
 
“What are you doing?” She gave up all pretense of looking at the scraggly bush and turned to face him.
 
He smirked. “Standing.”
 
Kagome clenched her fists and muttered under her breath. “Can't you go stand somewhere else?” she asked.
 
“Why?” His cute little ears flicked. There was an amused glint in his eye. “I can stand anywhere I want. Besides, I live here. You're just the temporary guest, little girl.”
 
Kagome opened her mouth and then shut it. He will not make me lose control. I won't fight with him today.
 
“Fine,” she huffed and crossed her arms. “I don't care. Stand where you want.”
 
They stood in silence for several minutes, watching the occasional villager passing on the street.
 
“How did you become Santa Claus?” Kagome asked abruptly. She glanced at him before looking away. “You have the red suit and the white hair, but not the storybook personality. I always thought Santa was a jolly fat guy with a workshop full of elves and eight tiny reindeer.”
 
Since Kagome was looking in another direction, she didn't see the brief flash of unease and guilt that crossed his face. “What's wrong with me being Santa?” Inuyasha growled. “Do you find it easier to believe that the old woman used to do the job?”
 
“Wrong?” Kagome turned to stare at him. “There's nothing wrong! I just asked a simple question!” What was his problem? She was just curious. It wasn't that big a deal if he wanted to answer or not.
 
“Are you always this nosy, or am I just the lucky one you decided to analyze today,” Inuyasha snapped. “Stay out of my private life, little girl.”
 
“I am not nosy!” All of Kagome's promises to herself to avoid a fight were forgotten. She narrowed her eyes. “You don't have to be so rude!”
 
“I'm not the one prying into people's personal lives,” he shot back. “I'm not baring my soul to the little girl who slept with a nightlight until she was twelve!”
 
“How did you… “ Kagome gaped at him.
 
Inuyasha smirked. “I'm Santa Claus, remember? Don't you know: `He sees you when you're sleeping'?”
 
“You peeped on me?” Kagome's pale face went instantly red and blotchy with anger. How dare he?! “You're a jerk, Inuyasha! Just stay away from me! Serves me right for trying to have a civilized conversation with an egotistical jerk!”
 
She turned on her heel and crunched away through the snow, leaving a slightly guilt-ridden dog demon behind her. When her boot slipped on a patch of ice, she was forced to slow her steps. Therefore, her dramatic exit was less dramatic with her picking her way carefully over the ground.
 
After she had put some distance between herself and the source of her ire, she calmed down and began to rethink some of the things she had said. I can't believe I called Santa Claus a jerk. She winced. Souta would have a cat if he heard me. Nobody sane badmouths Santa. He'll probably make the rest of the year a living nightmare. If he doesn't decide to give me nothing but coal for every remaining Christmas of my life.
 
Just then, she spotted Miroku and Sango coming out of the animal barn. Sango was carrying Kirara and laughing with Miroku about something. Kagome brightened. They could help her forget all about certain rude, arrogant dog demons.
 
She waved vigorously. “Hey, Miroku! Hey, Sango!”
 
Sango and Miroku stopped and waited until she caught up with them. Kirara greeted her with a friendly little mew, to which Kagome responded by scratching the firecat under the chin.
 
“Do either of you want to do something today?” she asked. “I need to work off a little steam.”
 
“Had another fight with Inuyasha?” Sango asked sympathetically. Kagome scowled and said nothing, which was all the answer they needed.
 
“Inuyasha's not so bad once you get to know him,” Miroku offered. He directed a sly smile at Kagome. “And he must like you. Or he wouldn't spend so much time with you trading insults. Inuyasha's usual answer to things he doesn't like is to ignore them or walk away.”
 
“Let's not talk about dog boy,” Kagome said. “I'm tired of sitting around doing nothing. There aren't even any decent malls around here.”
 
“Sorry, Kagome,” Sango smiled apologetically, “but Miroku and I are just leaving for border patrol. We'll do something fun when we get back. Shouldn't be more than a week or two.”
 
“Oh.” Kagome tried not to let her disappointment show. It's not like Sango's only job was to entertain her. “That's okay. Border patrol's important. Maybe I'll go find Shippou or something.”
 
“Shippou has lessons today,” Miroku gently reminded her. Same as all the other children. And Kouga took his pack on a hunting expedition. I think Jinenji might be free, though, or Hojo.”
 
Kagome forced a smile onto her face. “Don't worry about me. I'm sure I'll find something to keep me occupied.”
 
Sango and Miroku exchanged concerned glances, but responded to Kagome's farewell with waves of their own. They left the girl and walked to the edge of the village, where Sango let Kirara jump out of her arms. In a whirlwind of flame, the firecat morphed into her larger form. The two of them climbed onto her back, holding on as she jumped and soared in the direction of the border at treetop level.
 
Kagome sighed as she watched them go. Now what? Feeling at loose ends, she wandered down the street. When she reached Kaede's house, she noticed with a small degree of disappointment that Inuyasha was no longer there.
 
She hesitated for a long moment at the start of the path that led to the greenhouse. Hojo was probably there, puttering around with his plants. He would be glad to see her, but she didn't think she could face the obvious adoration he directed towards her.
 
What about Jinenji? No. Kagome shook her head. The gentle giant was sweet, but incredibly tongue-tied in her presence. Holding a conversation with him was extremely frustrating.
 
Kagome turned around and retraced her steps to Kaede's. It was not one of her favorite things to do, but maybe the old woman would give her another lesson. At least it would pass the time.
 
She pushed open the doors to the workshop, silent and empty at this time of the year, and headed for the small room at the back that was Kaede's office.
 
“Kaede? Are you here?” Kagome sidestepped a small puddle of melting snow and entered the office. “I'm sorry to bother you, but do you have time to—“
 
Kagome stared at the figure standing in the middle of the room. Water dripped off the hem of the strange child's dress. She held a small mirror in one hand, with the other one resting on the glass case that held the jewel Kaede called the Shikon no Tama.
 
“Stop,” the child ordered in a hollow-sounding voice. The mirror in her hand flashed once.
 
Kagome tried to demand some answers, but found that her vocal chords were frozen. She was unable to emit even a frightened squeak. Her limbs had been locked into place, as well.
 
The bright surface of the mirror darkened until a man's face stared out at the schoolgirl. The child released the glass case to protectively cup the mirror, tilting it until Kagome could see the person inside it easily.
 
“What have we here?” the man purred. “I sense a great deal of potential. And next to no training.”
 
Who are you? What are you doing here? Kagome shrieked within the confines of her own mind. She watched helplessly as the man studied her as someone might an interesting bug he was debating on whether or not to squish.
 
“Bring her to me, Kanna,” the man abruptly ordered. “The Shikon no Tama has too many protections placed upon it. But this girl is wonderfully vulnerable and may be of even more use to me.”
 
“Yes, Lord Naraku,” Kanna intoned.
 
Naraku frowned thoughtfully at Kagome. “We cannot depend upon the girl's cooperation. Bring her to me directly. By the time these fools sense the magic, it will be too late.”
 
“Yes, Lord Naraku.” Kanna stepped forward and touched a finger to the middle of Kagome's stomach. She traced a line from there to a spot level with her heart. The mirror started to glow with white light that was tinged with a sullen red.
 
As the spell took hold, it felt as if all of her insides were being squeezed together. Kagome screamed, but nobody heard for she was still mute.
 
The mirror's glow burned even brighter.
 
^**^
 
Inuyasha paced restlessly around the village. It got so boring right after the Christmas rush. Everybody else had things to do, and he just felt so useless.
 
Maybe he should go find Kagome again. It was so entertaining watching her try to control her emotions. Who knew human faces could turn so many interesting colors?
 
The hollow feeling in his gut reminded him that it was time for lunch. That's probably where the girl was. She was as regular as clockwork when it came to meals. His mind made up, Inuyasha headed for the cafeteria.
 
“Hi, Inuyasha!” A small blur of russet-colored fur leaped for his shoulder. Shippou balanced awkwardly, one hand carefully gripping a piece of paper. “Where's Kagome? I want to show her the picture I drew in class today.”
 
“How am I supposed to know where that annoying girl is?” He barely noticed the small kitsune's weight and didn't bother trying to remove him from his shoulder. That was one of the many habits that he had been unable to break the kit from. “What am I? Her keeper?”
 
Shippou leveled him with a flat look. “Yeah, you are. Or did you forget that Kaede assigned you to be her guardian while she's staying with us?”
 
Inuyasha glared at the snow rather than looking into Shippou's accusing eyes. He had forgotten. “She's around here somewhere. Probably found somebody else to interrogate.”
 
“Like Hojo?”
 
Inuyasha flinched. His shoulders tensed, but with his gaze fixed on the ground he didn't see the smug grin cross Shippou's face. “Why would Kagome want to hang around with that pansy-assed plant lover?”
 
“Probably because he doesn't yell at her.” Shippou carefully folded his drawing and tucked it inside his shirt. “He gives her pretty presents. He doesn't tell her that she's weak and useless if she mentions being homesick.”
 
A puzzled frown creased Inuyasha's brow. “Why would Kagome be homesick? Her home's still there. She'll get to go back next Christmas.”
 
Shippou sighed. “That's not the point—“
 
Inuyasha snapped a hand up to cover the kit's mouth, cutting off whatever he was about to say. “Quiet!” he hissed. His ears twitched and the hair on the back of his neck prickled uncomfortably.
 
Shippou immediately went still, his eyes wide over the large clawed hand on his mouth. Tiny hands gripped Inuyasha's jacket as he caught the same sense of working magic that had alerted his companion.
 
Inuyasha released the kit and stood very still, his madly rotating ears the only part of him that moved. “This way!” He sprinted in the direction of the workshop, and Kaede's office. “The magic is strongest over here!”
 
“Maybe someone is after the Shikon no Tama!” Shippou panted breathlessly, hanging onto Inuyasha's jacket with all of his strength.
 
“Not while I'm around,” Inuyasha growled.
 
Inuyasha charged into the workshop. A trail of wet footprints pointed the way to Kaede's office. He staggered as a strong wave of malevolent energy pulsed through the air.
 
For a moment, he wished for a better weapon than claws and fangs. His demon father had once bequeathed him a sword known as Tetsusaiga. He had abandoned it in the far distant past when Kaede first took him in as a possible apprentice.
 
The powerful sword had been the source of nothing but pain and heartache. He was glad it was gone.
 
And my asshole of a brother is welcome to it! If he ever learned how to wield it!
 
He hit the office door at a dead run.
 
And bounced off of it.
 
Inuyasha shook his head and glared in frustration at the unyielding wood. Sullen red light leaked through the cracks between the door and the frame.
 
Shippou leaned forward. He yelped and jerked back when a tendril of energy writhed towards him. “What's going on, Inuyasha?”
 
“Naraku,” Inuyasha growled. “I'd recognize his foul magical presence anywhere.”
 
“How did he get past the border?” Shippou asked. He clutched the hanyou's jacket tighter. “Nobody's supposed to be able to get past the border! Kaede said it was im—impeni—impossible to get through! Where's Kaede? What are we going to do?”
 
“Stop acting hysterical!” Inuyasha snapped. “You're not helping!” He roughly pried the kit off of his shoulder, letting Shippou drop to the ground while he eyed the door.
 
Kaede's going to pitch a fit—Inuyasha pushed back his sleeves—but it's the fastest way.
 
He glared at the door and took a deep breath. Letting it out, he reached for the magic that Kaede had bequeathed to him along with the title of Santa Claus. Usually he used just a little of this power, and only during the Christmas season.
 
The old hag says I need more training before I can fully tap this power. Inuyasha snorted. But I can sure as hell tap it enough to crack the barrier.
 
The power fought him, struggling to squirm out of his grasp. Ruthlessly he bent it to his will, his stubborn streak coming in handy for once.
 
He grunted with the strain and poured more energy into the magic, sensing that whatever was happening on the other side of the door would soon be over. The wood groaned with the pressure. With a dull roar, the door exploded into splinters and the two powers fully clashed.
 
Bright light lit up the office and the entire workshop like a Christmas tree. Inuyasha blinked rapidly, eyes tearing from the light.
 
Kagome stood inside, her body outlined in the same sullen red light. A pale-looking child stared at him with emotionless eyes. In her hand, she held a mirror that seemed to be the source of the energy.
 
“Kagome?” Shippou edged a little into the room, picking his way over the splinters of door.
 
The red light expanded to enclose Kagome and the strange child in a bubble.
 
Inuyasha stumbled forward, breathing hard and trying not to show it. Forcing the power to do what he wanted had taken a lot of energy. Now he remembered why the old hag was always lecturing him about training and safety precautions.
 
“Kagome?” he croaked.
 
The bubble filled with mist. Suddenly it burst!
 
Inuyasha coughed and wiped his streaming eyes. When he could see again, the mist had vanished.
 
So had Kagome.
 
“Kagome!”
 
^**^
 
Phobia of the week: Zemmiphobia- Fear of the great mole rat