InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ I Envy You ❯ The Innocent ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

I Envy You

*~*~*

This fiction is based loosely on the Korean manga, INVU by Kim Kang Won. A few of the first chapters are based on the first volume of that manga, but the rest is my story. Only because I only have the first manga. I really haven't seen the rest of it. Oh wellz... ^_^

Disclaimer- I do not own Inu Yasha or I.N.V.U. Or any of the brands mentioned here. ('Specially not Nokia phones... me is so dirt poor..)

*~*~*

Chapter One

The Innocent

Mm... It's... cold? I woke up to my normal bedroom - clothes scattered on the floor, pictures of my neighbor and me, and things like that - but... something was amiss. I looked around, and my blue eyes sought out a tall brown-haired man standing in my doorway. I felt my face flush as he turned around to talk to some other people.

"Hey... there's someone in this room," He pointed out. He turned back to me, and I quickly covered my self with my blue comforter.

"Kyaaaa!! GET OUT!!" I screamed at the top of my lungs. Whoosh! Out the guy went! I suddenly heard my mother's trademark high heels tapping at our floors as, I heard her yell to the man (or possibly, men. Who knows?).

"No, wait! That's my daughter's room!"

Great. Just great. That really tells me a lot. I quickly got changed into a striped sweater (even though it was pretty warm) and a pair of jeans and brushed out my hair. I ran out of my room and saw ten or so guys packing up all of my family's belongings into boxes. Were we being repossessed?!

"What's with all the boxes?" I asked my mother. She turned and gave me one of her "trademark" looks. God, I hate those.

"We're moving out." She replied, as if it was such a huge thing.

"Mom, what do you mean, we're moving?! The sun isn't even out!!" I yelled. True, it looked about two in the morning. "What is going on? TELL ME! NOW!"

"I've simply rented out the house, dear," My mother answered. "The tenants have asked us to move out by eleven, so..." She drifted off. I felt my shoulders sink. All of my friends... I wouldn't see them again...

"What do you mean, 'rented out'?" I asked. "Don't you think you should've told me before today?!" How could my mother look so nonchalant about all this?!

"I know, I should've told you earlier. But since we don't see much of each other, I simply haven't had a single moment to chat. You do understand?" My mother asked. God, I hate my mom sometimes. "I've decided to go to Italy, my dear."

"Italy?! Like a big vacation or something?" I asked. To be honest, my mother pulled these trips like this all the time. I've been everywhere.

"I don't plan on coming back for five years," She replied. Imagine me... JAW DROP. "I need time to write my novel... and to study." Oh, yeah. Mom really needs to do all of these trips for her stupid novel.

"What are you talking about?! Have you gone insane?!" I asked, feeling very exasperated. I looked over at some of the movers who were going closer and closer to my room. "GET AWAY FROM MY STUFF!"

My mother, on the other hand, ignored me, "Ignore her, gentlemen. And please keep the items in this room separated."

"Why exactly did you wait until now to tell me?!" I asked.

"I had no choice, sweetie." Yeah, keep calling me those stupid pet names. Keep 'em coming... "When I'm home, you're either sleeping, at school, or with your little... friends..." She said the last word like it was a naughty word or something. "Anyhow, you said you didn't want to study abroad."

"Then what's going to happen to me?!" I asked.

"I've thought it over..." My mother said, looking a bit nervous. "And you've always wanted the kind of mother other people had, right? An affectionate, thoughtful, and well... motherly type."

Yep, this is the way my mother has always been. That is why the past sixteen years of my life have been complete chaos. She told me that I was to live with her best friend, Meja Taijiya. I thought my life would have a positive turn.

Oh, how wrong I was.

*~*~*

"Welcome! I'll treat her like my own daughter! My child is the same age, so it'll work out just wonderfully!" Meja introduced when my mother and I arrived at her house. It wasn't that far from my old home. Still, this woman gave off creepy vibes.

"I'll leave everything to you, Meja. Take good care of my daughter," My mother said, tears in her eyes as if she actually cared about me. Ha. What a load of crap.

"Oh, I'm so happy to be getting a daughter!" Meja answered. "We can bake cookies together, go shopping..." I assume my mother was trying to give Meja some money or something, because I overheard Meja say, "Don't worry about a single thing. You just go and do what you need to do."

Honestly, I envy kids who grew up in ordinary families... I ignored the rest of their conversation, which was about how Meja liked the neighborhood, and I just gazed around the house.

I looked up the staircase to see someone - couldn't tell if it was male or female, to be honest - with dark cinnamon brown eyes, long black hair (yes, LONG hair, I'm sure they're gonna get in trouble at school for it), and pretty much a feminine face.

"This is our Kohaku," Meja told me. Mom had just left. "Kohaku, this is Kagome. As of today, she'll be a part of our family. She goes to the same school you're transferring to on Monday."

"Kohaku" walked right past me, and growled out, "Get on my nerves and I'll kill you." Geez... CREEPY.

*~*~*

I left the house a few hours afterward, to meet up with my friends, Kikyou Shikon and Rin Hana. We stopped by a KFC-slash-Pizza Hut-slash-Burger King place for some food.

"On his nerves...?" Rin asked, after I told them what happened.

"...And he'll kill you? What a freak!" Kikyou finished. Everyone says Kikyou and I look alike, but, honestly, I don't see it. After all, she has long, straight hair, and I have had a short, wavy cut to my shoulders since I was little. "I guess I grew up in a pretty normal family, so I can't even pretend to understand!"

"And your mom?" Rin asked.

I held up a credit card. "She gave me this and split." Kikyou slipped the card out of my hands and started watching it.

"How are you going to live? I mean, you don't get along with guys," Rin pointed out. True.

"WOW! An American Express Gold Card! At least you won't have to worry about money... huh?" Kikyou nearly shouted, as I took a drink from my cup. "Oh, my... this isn't even your mom's card! Hmm... Katsu Higurashi..."

"Hey, Kikyou, give it back!" Rin said, swiping the card from Kikyou and handing it back to me.

"That name sounds very familiar," Kikyou said.

"Whatever. Let's go to the bookstore. I want some more manga," I told them, and we threw away our trash.

*~*~*

I was checking out some Cowboy Be-bop manga when,

"Katsu Higurashi..." Kikyou whispered. "Now I remember! Isn't he the man you think is your father? You know, that announcer guy?" I didn't answer. "So, are you gonna use his card?"

"NO!" I replied, slamming the manga in my hands shut, loudly. "I'm gonna get a part-time job and live by myself!" I started walking towards the cashier with two mangas in my hand when... CRASH! "OUCH!!"

"Hey, are you okay?" A masculine voice asked me. I didn't reply. I kept hearing people yell out, "Kagome! Kagome!" like that little song little kids sing.

It was so comforting to hear someone call my name... that I couldn't control my tears. I wasn't crying because of my throbbing head. Strangely, it felt as if everything had just cleared away. Maybe I was just looking for a reason to cry.

"Kagome, are you okay?" I heard Rin asked. Kikyou's voice had completely stopped. I stood up, and saw Kikyou flirting with some boy, and Rin was handing me a handkerchief. "Are you alright? That looked like it hurt." Rin noticed my attention was on Kikyou and the boy. I recognized him from somewhere... short black hair... violet eyes... wild look on his face... AH! I knew who he was! Inu Yasha! I knew it!

"Well, you gotta hand it to Kikyou. She's kicked into flirt gear," Rin said, sighing. "But why Inu Yasha, of all people? I've heard rumors that all the thugs look up to him."

"How embarrassing..." I whispered, rubbing my head. What was he carrying in that bag, anyway?! It felt like a ton of bricks! Ow! I saw Inu Yasha walk up to me, with a calm look on his face.

"You okay now, Kagome Higurashi?" He asked. He knew my name? Funny... I wouldn't have guessed.

"Hey! I've heard that Inu here doesn't have a girlfriend!" Kikyou pointed out, with a flourish. "Should we hook up? What do you guys think?" Me and Rin passed each other matching glances. Yep, total flirt mode.

"Whatever. You two go and have a blast. We're leaving," I answered. Rin looked over at me.

"Do you want me to walk you home?" She asked.

"No! I'm not an invalid, you know," I replied. I turned to leave when..

"Hey, Kagome!" Inu Yasha called. I turned to see a tube of something thrown at me. "Try this." I caught it. "That's the best thing for bruises." I blushed slightly, and put the tube in my pocket. He and Kikyou walked off somewhere, and Rin and I started leaving.

"Kikyou doesn't go to our school, so she doesn't know about his bad rep," Rin started saying when we were on the escalator. "What should we do? Don't you think we should tell her?"

"Don't worry! If Kikyou's her usual fickle self, it won't last for more than a week," I replied. I was gonna sleep when I got home. God, what a day.

*~*~*

"Sixteen is old enough. You can take care of yourself. This way, you will become immune to this savage world." Those were my mom's parting words as she took off for her new life. How sweet.

"You're home late, Kagome," Meja told me when I walked in. It was night when I got home. "Did you eat?"

"Yea, I did," I replied. I noticed that the entire family was at dinner.

"Oh no! I cooked a French dish in celebration of our new family member. We've all been waiting." Meja told me. "We have champagne, too."

Alcohol? In the presence of two teens? Odd family. My mom doesn't even keep liquor at home.

"Welcome to the family, Kagome. Come join us," Mr. Taijiya introduced. I haven't seen him before... he looked odd.

"I.. I'll eat..." I said, sweatdropping. 'Even though I did eat two cheeseburgers and fries...'

"How's the food? Save some room for dessert!" Meja said. "It's my specialty, brandied cheese mousse!" They're so friendly... Is this what normal families are like? "I know you miss your mom. Just think of me as your mom and I'll treat you like my very own daughter."

"Okay," I said, with a smile. I looked over at Kohaku, who shot me a dirty glare.

I don't think he likes me... Am I destined to live a life of abuse from their crazy son? I shouldn't think about it anymore. I'm beginning to feel sorry for myself. Crazy pictures of what Kohaku could do to torture me flashed through my mind. I gulped down my food quickly and asked where my room was.

"Your's and Kohaku's rooms are here on the second floor," Meja told me, showing me around the house. "Surprise! I unpacked and organized your room already. Except for your desk..."

"There's a lock on my door, right?" I asked. Meja ignored that comment.

I walked in, and nearly fainted. The room was done up in lace and bows... and... and... PINK. Did this woman have some kind of twisted princess complex... or what?!

"What do you think? Do you like it? I've always wanted to decorate a daughter's room!" Meja said. "Well... good night, Kagome!"

"'night, Mej-- I mean, Mrs. Taijiya," I said, and closed the door as quickly as I could. The least I could do was hope for a good sleep.

*~*~*

[A/n- So what do you think?

Kagome: I hate my part.

Sango: Why are you complaining? You should see my part!!

Miroku: True... Sango does have a bad part...

All three: -Glare at Kaori- It's your fault!

Authoress: He he... ^_^;;;;;

Also, Sango is in this fic. You'll see where... it's a really warped character... ]