InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ I'll Be There For You ❯ The Beginning ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 1: The Beginning
 
************
 
“Hey! Girl! Why are you crying?” A young boy squatted down beside a young girl sobbing inconsolably beneath the tree. This was the last thing he thought he'd find at the park today.
 
“I've lost my mommy! I can't find her anywhere!” The young girl looked up, her dark brown eyes widening slightly in surprise. The boy talking to her appeared to be around 7 or 8 years old; just a few years older than her own 6, but what surprised her the most was the fact that he had silver hair and bright amber eyes. (A/N: In this story, all the characters are human with their normal coloring).
 
“How did you lose her?”
 
“I was walking with my mommy and she stopped to talk to a lady. I saw a doggie and went to pet it, but it ran off. I chased it, but it still got away. When I looked back, I couldn't see her. She's lost!” With that, the dark haired girl started to cry again.
 
The young boy looked thoughtfully at her. “I'll help you find your mommy, but you have to stop crying, `kay?”
 
The girl sniffed and wiped her nose on her sleeve. “Okay. My name is Kagome. What's your name?”
 
“Inuyasha.” The boy stood and Kagome scrambled to her feet. “Come on, let's go back to the path and see if we can find your mommy.” Inuyasha led the way back down the hill to the path that wound through the park.
 
“Where is your mommy, Inuyasha? Are you lost too?”
 
The young boy was quiet for a moment before answering. “My dad just died and everyone is at the funeral. I didn't want to be there, so I ran off.”
 
“I'm sorry. My daddy died not long ago too. Everyone was so sad. I miss him. Won't some one wonder where you are at?”
 
“No, not really. My mom is too upset to notice that I am gone, and my brother won't tell anyone. I'll go home before dinner.”
 
Kagome reached out and took Inuyasha's hand and gave it a squeeze. The two children walked along in companionable silence. Suddenly, Kagome pointed at a woman in front of them.
 
“There she is! There's my mommy! Come on! I want you to meet her!” She started to drag Inuyasha behind her as she ran to her mother.
 
“Kagome! There you are! I was getting very worried. Are you okay?” The dark haired woman knelt down and hugged her daughter. She looked at Inuyasha standing nervously behind Kagome. She released her daughter and smiled at the boy who shyly returned her smile.
 
“Hello there, what's your name?”
 
“Mommy, his name is Inuyasha and he found me when I was lost and helped me to find you. You know what mommy, his daddy just died too.” Kagome's mother got tears in her eyes. She reached out and caught Inuyasha in a hug.
 
“I'm sorry for your loss. I know that it is not easy win a parent dies. It is okay to cry for him.” She looked at him sadly before continuing. “But thank-you for helping Kagome.”
 
Inuyasha held himself stiffly in her arms at first, but then hesitantly put his arms around the woman's neck and returned the hug. He stepped back and quickly wiped away the tears that attempted to gather in his eyes.
 
“I was glad I could help her. I don't like to see girls cry.” Inuyasha turned to leave.
 
“Where is your mother? Are you here with someone?” Kagome's mother looked at the young boy in concern.
 
“No, I am here by myself.”
 
“Can I give you a ride home? You shouldn't be in the park by yourself.”
 
“No thanks. There won't be anyone home right now anyway.”
 
Kagome whispered in her mother's ear and her mother smiled and nodded.
 
“I'll tell you what. Why don't we go get some ice-cream, and then I'll take you home with us and you can play with Kagome for a while. I will take you home a little later. Would that be okay?”
 
Inuyasha hesitated and looked at Kagome, who gave him a big smile and said “Pleeeessssee?”
 
“Okay, I guess,” he said softly.
 
The woman stood and took Kagome's hand and reached for Inuyasha with the other. He looked at it and shyly put his hand in hers. She smiled and led the two children off for ice-cream.
 
**********
 
 
Inuyasha and Kagome became strong friends that day. Many were the days that found the two of them playing in the park or at Kagome's house. They never played at Inuyasha's house, but Kagome never seemed to mind. When school started, Inuyasha chased away the schoolyard bullies when they bothered his friend.
 
The two would share everything that was going on. Inuyasha would make Kagome laugh by telling her how he filled his brother's pillow with pudding or how he buried his brother's favorite shoes. Kagome shared the excitement of her brother's birth. (A/N: Kagome's dad died a month before Inuyasha's. Her mom was pregnant at the time.)
 
One morning, Inuyasha found Kagome on the front steps of her house, crying. He sat beside her.
 
“What's the matter, `Gome?”
 
“Mommy told me that we're moving today. We are going to go live with my grandpa in a shrine. She said that he needs help and that he shouldn't live by himself. But I don't want to move! I don't want to leave you!” The young girl threw her arms around Inuyasha's neck and cried harder.
 
He gingerly held her until she calmed down some.
 
“Kagome, we are friends, right?” The young girl nodded.
 
“Friends are always friends, no matter how far away they may be. I'll always be there for you. Whenever you need me, I'll be there for you.”
 
Kagome gave Inuyasha a big hug and whispered a thank-you. Her mother came out and softly told her that it was time to go. Inuyasha walked Kagome to the car and watched as her mother put her baby brother in the car seat before strapping Kagome in. He watched as the car pulled out and as Kagome gave a final, sad wave good-bye. He watched until the car disappeared from sight, before finally turning and making his way sadly back home.
 
***********
 
TBC