InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ I'll Be There For You ❯ Graduation ( Chapter 13 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 13: Graduation
 
************
 
The day started when Sota and Inuyasha came in early to wake Kagome. Leaping onto the bed, the two boys started tickling the now awake girl until she couldn't breathe. Once Kagome managed to push the two out her door, she gathered her things and headed to the bathroom to shower and get ready for the day.
 
Heading down the stairs, Kagome saw Inuyasha and her family waiting for her in the living room. Sitting down next to Inuyasha on the couch, her family presented her with her graduation gifts. From Sota, she received $100 to use on “girly stuff”. Her grandfather gave her a pale pink pearl strung with shell shards on a necklace; evidently it had been passed down for generations. Kagome's mother said that the next gift was actually from both her father and mother. Mr. Higurashi had opened a trust account when Kagome was born, and her mother had been adding to it ever since. The trust fund carried enough to cover her university education. Kagome went over and hugged her mother. “Thank-you mama”; `Thank-you daddy'.
 
Inuyasha waited while Kagome opened each of her family's gifts before bringing out the one he held behind him. “This is from Kaede, Sesshomaru, and me.” He handed her a small box and sat back with a smile. Kagome opened it; inside was a set of keys. She looked at Inuyasha in confusion.
 
He leaned over and kissed her inviting lips. “We got you a car for graduation. You won't be able to drive it for another month (A/N: When I broke my leg at 16, the doctor wouldn't let me drive until the cast came off), but it is yours. Go check it out.”
 
With a squeal of delight, Kagome leapt up and raced outside. Sitting in the driveway was a navy blue convertible with tan interior. Kagome trailed her fingers lightly along the car. She was speechless. Running over to where Inuyasha stood watching, Kagome threw her arms around his neck and passionately kissed him, leaving both of them breathless.
 
“I don't know what to say, Inuyasha. Thanks don't seem to be enough.”
 
Inuyasha smirked. “I think the kiss said it well enough, but I don't want you to `thank' Sess that way.” Kagome blushed and hit him in the arm.
 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 
Kagome fidgeted. She was getting tired of all the photos her mother was taking. All she wanted to do was get out of the graduation cap and gown and relax a bit. It has already been a long day. She sighed. At least she was now officially graduated. Now, if only her mother would stop with the pictures and take them home…..
 
Finally, Mrs. Higurashi had taken her fill of pictures; or rather she was out of film. Chasing everyone to the car, Kagome was finally able to relax, leaning her head on Inuyasha's shoulder. She must have dozed off a little, because the next thing she knew, Inuyasha was waking her with a kiss and telling her that they were home. Going up to her room, Kagome changed into a pale blue sundress and packed her bag for the weekend.
 
Inuyasha knocked on Kagome's open door. “Sango just called and said that they'd be here in a few minutes. You got everything?” Kagome nodded and handed Inuyasha her bag. He took it downstairs and placed it next to the door with his.
 
Coming down the stairs, Kagome found her grandpa and Sota watching TV. Her mother came out of the kitchen. “You have a wonderful weekend, you two. Remember to behave yourselves.” Kagome rolled her eyes at her mother while Inuyasha chuckled. Out front a horn honked. Giving her mother a quick hug, Kagome and Inuyasha grabbed their stuff and went out to Miroku's car.
 
As the group of friends drove up to the country club, Inuyasha caught sight of a large bon fire. Kagome saw his look of confusion and took pity on him. “Every year, the seniors burn one of their school uniforms to signify the end of childhood and the emergence of adulthood. It is kind of a tradition here.” (A/N: We did something like that when I was in school.)
 
“Ahh, I see. That makes sense in a way. Did you bring one with you?” Kagome nodded.
 
“Miroku and I have ours as well. I can hardly wait to get rid of it!” Everyone laughed at Sango's enthusiasm.
 
After parking the car, everyone got out; the three graduates grabbing their sacrifices and making their way to the fire. Inuyasha stood back out of the way and watched. Miroku, Sango, and Kagome threw their uniforms on the burning pile with a loud cheer. Other classmates were doing the same. They stood watching the clothing burn until only burning embers remained of their offerings and they made room for others. The three made their way to where Inuyasha stood observing the ritual. He noticed that Sango and Kagome were wiping away tears while Miroku had a suspicious glint in his eye. Slapping his hand on Miroku's shoulder, the two men followed their girls inside.
 
The ballroom was set up with a buffet and non-alcoholic bar. There was a dance floor up front where a live band was playing. Miroku took Sango off to the dance floor; Inuyasha and Kagome headed for the buffet.
 
Filling her plate with some cold cuts and fruit, Kagome heard a voice at her elbow. “Hey Kagome! Congratulations! Can you believe that we have finally graduated?”
 
Turning quickly, Kagome saw a young man with red hair and green eyes. “Hey Shippo! Thanks and congrats to you as well! I haven't seen you around that much lately, how have you been?” Inuyasha caught up to Kagome and looked at the guy who stood talking to his fiancée. “Shippo, I would like you to meet my fiancée, Inuyasha. Inuyasha, this is Shippo, we were close friends in Jr. High, but we drifted apart.” Inuyasha shook Shippo's hand. He found himself staring at the young man; something was not quite right, but he couldn't put his finger on it.
 
Inuyasha, Kagome, and Shippo found seats at one of the tables. The two classmates caught each other up to date. “I moved the year we started High School, but came back to finish my senior year here. Our schedules were different enough that I could only catch a glimpse of you across the halls,” Shippo told Kagome.
 
Inuyasha found himself wanting to growl at Shippo. Kagome, feeling his unease, placed a hand on his arm, calming his somewhat.
 
“Well, good luck to you both! Enjoy the evening and I will see you later.” Shippo stood and gave Kagome a quick kiss on her cheek, left the table.
 
“Inuyasha, what is wrong?” Kagome's voice caused Inuyasha to realize that he was growling out loud and that his fists were clenched.
 
“I am not sure, but there is something about him that I don't like. There is something odd about him. How come I don't remember him from the connection?”
 
Kagome blushed. “You remember when I had that crush on that guy in Jr. High? Well, it was Shippo. At the time, he was dating someone else. I got over my crush with your help about the time he broke up and started to notice me. We became friends, but never went beyond that.” She leaned over and caught Inuyasha's lips in a kiss. “Don't be jealous, Inuyasha. You're my only beloved.”
 
Inuyasha mentally shook himself. He didn't think he was jealous, but refused to let that guy ruin their evening. Standing, Inuyasha helped Kagome to her feet. “Shall we dance?”
 
Kagome giggled. “As long as you don't mind me breaking your foot with this monstrosity on my leg (referring to her cast), I think I would love to dance with you.” Inuyasha led Kagome out to the dance floor where she managed to dance with out injuring Inuyasha or herself in the process.
 
Later that evening, while Inuyasha and Kagome were taking a break from the dancing, Shippo approached the couple. “Kagome, could I talk to you for a moment, privately?”
 
Inuyasha started to growl again. Kagome reached up and kissed his cheek before whispering, “I will be right back, don't worry.” She stood and allowed Shippo to lead her out to the patio.
 
Inuyasha decided that nothing would happen that he wouldn't know about, so he went to get himself a Coke. He stood against the wall, wondering what that guy could possibly have to say to his Kagome. A few minutes later, Inuyasha felt a flash of fear through the bond and then nothing.
 
Running out to where he last saw Kagome, he searched for her, calling her name. He couldn't find her, and no one had seemed to notice her leaving. Grabbing Miroku from where he and Sango were making out, they searched the entire club premises. Kagome was no where to be found.
 
************
 
TBC
 
A/N: The mysterious watcher was… Shippo. Bet you guys never saw that one coming. Anyway, sorry for the slow update. Please continue to read, enjoy and review. Thanks