InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ I'll Be There For You ❯ Rescued ( Chapter 16 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 16: Rescued
 
*************
 
Inuyasha ran past Miroku, grabbing the keys from him and slid into the driver's seat. “Inuyasha, you're not supposed to drive yet,” Miroku cried.
 
“Get in if you're coming with me,” Inuyasha growled as he started the car. Seeing the determination in his eyes, Miroku bit back his retort and climbed into the passenger seat while Sango took the back. “Buckle up!” With that as a warning, Inuyasha threw the car into gear and tore down the road.
 
Inuyasha drove the 15 miles to the address Sess had given them as if he was racing in the Daytona 500. Miroku had a hand braced on the dashboard while his eyes were closed. He was murmuring prayers under his breath. Sango had a death grip on the door, but didn't utter a word.
 
Screeching to a halt in front of the condemned building, Inuyasha leapt out of the car and ran up the dilapidated steps, only to be stopped by Miroku's hand.
 
“Inuyasha, we need a plan. You can't just run into a condemned building and search every room. That is not only dangerous, but stupid as well. If you can calm yourself, you should be able to get an idea whether Kagome is here through the soul connection. You may even be able to tell which floor she is being held on.”
 
Inuyasha growled, but allowed himself to calm down and focus on the connection. He could feel her close by. “She's here. I think that she is on the second floor, towards the back. She is scared, you guys. I need to get to her.” Miroku nodded.
 
“You lead and we'll follow. When we get to the right room, Inuyasha, you go first and get Shippo. Sango, you take care of Kagome. I will back up Inuyasha, making sure that Shippo doesn't escape.” They nodded in understanding. Miroku opened the door and Inuyasha took the lead. Miroku and Sango, holding hands, followed close behind.
 
As quietly as they could, the group made their way up the rickety stairs and around piles of fallen debris. When they reached the second floor, the three teens could hear shouting coming from down one of the hallways. Inuyasha quickened his steps, still treading carefully so as not to alert anyone of their coming. Stopping at the last door in the corridor, Inuyasha put a hand on the knob, prepared to thrust the door open, only to find it locked. He heard muffled thuds coming from within, and then a heart wrenching “INUYASHA!”.
 
Kicking open the door, Inuyasha rushed in and slammed his fist into the startled man's face. Glancing aside, he saw Sango rush over to what appeared to be a pile of rags, only to realize that it was Kagome. Turning back to Shippo who stood snarling in front of him, Inuyasha cracked his knuckles and said with a sneer, “you bastard! How dare you touch my Kagome!” He threw a punch at Shippo, landing on his stomach.
 
“She's not yours, she's mine! That bitch will pay for what she's done! We are destined to be together!” The enraged young man threw a punch at Inuyasha, who easily ducked under it to deliver a bruising upper cut to Shippo's jaw, knocking him out.
 
Inuyasha stood over him and continued to punch Shippo until he was stopped by Miroku's hand.
 
“Enough, Inuyasha. Leave him for the police. They are on their way. You need to see to Kagome.”
 
“Kagome…” With a strangled cry, Inuyasha turned to where Sango sat holding the fallen girl's hand. “How is she? Kagome, are you okay?” He gently picked up the battered girl and cradled her in his arms.
 
“I don't think anything is broken, but she has some nasty bruises. We should have someone check her out.” Inuyasha only nodded and sat rocking Kagome. Sango went down the stairs to lead the police up to the apartment while Miroku secured Shippo with the ropes that once held Kagome.
 
Sango soon returned with a handful of police and a couple of paramedics. Two of the officers took the now awake Shippo down to the street where he was loaded into one of the patrol cars and taken into custody. One took photos for evidence; a couple of others collected other pieces of evidence including the photos from the walls. The last officer took their statements and contact information.
 
Kagome was being treated by the paramedics. She had awoken confused and scared, but calmed down when she realized that Inuyasha held her safe in his arms. She refused to go to the hospital, wanting only to go home with her friends and put this nightmare behind her. After promising to check in with her doctor on Monday, the group was finally allowed to leave the building.
 
“I will drive us home.” Sango took the keys from an unresisting Inuyasha and hopped behind the wheel while Miroku climbed into the passenger seat, leaving Inuyasha and Kagome to sit in the back. (A/N: poor Miroku - he doesn't ever seem to be able to drive his own car) Not much was said on the way back to Sango's; everyone lost in their own thoughts.
 
Upon arriving at the house, Inuyasha carried Kagome upstairs to the guest room. Leaving her with Sango to change and clean up, he went downstairs to called Sesshomaru. A short time later, he passed Sango in the hallway as he walked into the room where Kagome now lay.
 
“Don't leave me, Inuyasha. Please hold me.” Kagome reached out to him. Inuyasha lay beside her and gathered her into his arms. She sighed and snuggled into him, tears seeping from beneath her lids.
 
“Shh. I will stay right here while you sleep.” Inuyasha reached out and brushed the hair from her forehead. “Try to get some rest.” He watched her as she relaxed and her breathing deepened. Placing a tender kiss on her head he whispered, “I will always be here for you.”
 
******************
 
TBC
 
A/N: I just wanted to say that I never knew that there were so many people out there wanting Shippo's blood. Everyone wants me to kill him off. Hate to tell you, but that doesn't happen. He has been taken into custody though. As for making him a “bad” guy, I wanted to do something a little different than what I have read in other fics. I do want to clarify that I don't have anything against people with mental illnesses; that not all with said illnesses are violent in nature. I, myself, suffer from clinical depression, controlled by medication. I have tried to portray Shippo in such a way that he is as much a victim of his illness as Kagome is. I hope that I have not offended anyone, as this was not my intention.
 
Thank-you for all the wonderful reviews! I think that I am now addicted to reviews. I need more and more to support my “habit” (gives everyone a cheesy grin). Please, as always, Read, Enjoy, and Review.