InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ I'll Be There For You ❯ Camp ( Chapter 18 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 18:
 
************
 
Kagome and Inuyasha drove into the campground right around lunch time. They found Koga and Ayame fixing sandwiches.
 
“Hey guys! It's about time you showed. We were getting hungry and couldn't wait. Do you want one?” Ayame held out a ham and cheese sandwich.
 
“Thanks, that would be wonderful. We had a little trouble on the way up, but we're here now.” Kagome took the offered sandwich and grabbed a bottle of water. Inuyasha fixed himself a sandwich and sat beside Kagome.
 
Koga looked at the two new arrivals. “What kind of trouble?” Inuyasha refused to meet Koga's eyes.
 
“Nothing much; just a flat tire.” Kagome smiled while Inuyasha blushed faintly. Koga and Ayame exchanged confused looks. There was obviously more to the story than what they were being told.
 
“Well, I'm glad that you're here safely. After we eat, Koga and Inuyasha can go get some firewood, while you and me finish setting up camp.” Kagome agreed and the friends finished their lunches in no time.
 
The guys headed off to find some firewood, leaving the girls at camp. Kagome popped her trunk and pulled out the camp chairs and sat them around the fire pit. Ayame grabbed the second tent and set it up with Kagome's help in very little time.
 
Ayame stood back and laughed. Kagome looked at her questioningly. “When you and I put up this tent, it only took us 10 minutes. When Koga and I put up the tent yesterday, it took 3 times longer.”
 
Kagome smiled. “Yeah, sometimes we need to let them muddle through so they feel wanted.” She told Ayame about the flat after getting her to promise not to tell Koga. The two women laughed over the ineptness of their boyfriends.
 
Koga and Inuyasha returned to camp and piled the firewood beneath the table to help keep it dry.
 
“We went up to the ranger station. Evidently there have been bear sightings recently. We need to make sure not to leave food out in the camp and to use precautions while hiking.”
 
Ayame looked frightened. “Bears?! Are we in any danger?” She edged closer to Koga and grabbed his arm.
 
“Nah. The main thing is to make sure the food is put away correctly and always hike in groups of two or more, making lots of noise as you go,” Inuyasha told the frightened girl.
 
“Besides, there are only black bears around here and they don't tend to be very aggressive. They would rather run away from people if given the chance.” Ayame looked at Koga and gave him a quick kiss on the cheek.
 
“Thank-you Koga. That makes me feel better.”
 
“Do you want to come fishing with us? We are going to try to catch dinner for tonight.” Ayame readily agreed and Inuyasha handed her a pole. “Are you coming Kagome?”
 
“No thanks. I think that I'll stay here and do a little reading. Someone should be here when Sango and Miroku show up.”
 
“Okay. We'll be back later then.” Inuyasha caught Kagome around the waist and gave her a kiss. “Wish me luck.”
 
“Good luck! Bring back lots!” Kagome waved as they made their way down to the stream. Grabbing her book, she made herself comfortable and lost herself in her story.
 
The sun was warm as it filtered through the trees. A light breeze rustled the treetops. Birds, squirrels and chipmunks added their voices to the peaceful stillness. Kagome found her eyes drifting closed and she fell into a doze before she realized it. Her book lay forgotten on her stomach.
 
A few hours later, Inuyasha returned to camp with the fish. Koga and Ayame decided to do a little swimming before coming back to camp. Finding Kagome sleeping, Inuyasha sleeping, he snuck up behind her and dropped the string of fish into her lap.
 
“AAAHHH!” Kagome jumped up, flinging the fish onto the ground. Inuyasha started to laugh uncontrollably. “Inuyasha! You baka! What did you do that for?”
 
Inuyasha could hardly breathe, he was laughing so hard. Kagome threw her book at him.
 
“I couldn't resist. You should have seen your face!” Kagome glared at him and picked up the now dirt encrusted fish.
 
“What ever. Just for that, you can go clean these.” She threw the string at him. “Where are the other two?”
 
“They are going to swim for awhile.” Inuyasha took the trout and headed towards the cleaning station near the park entrance.
 
“Baka!” Kagome muttered as she wiped fish slime off her legs. She looked up as a car pulled up to the camp.
 
“Hi Kagome! We finally made it!” Sango hopped out as the car slowed to a stop. She ran up and hugged Kagome, only to step back wrinkling her nose. “You smell like fish.”
 
“Yeah, thanks to Inuyasha. The baka tossed the string of trout into my lap while I was sleeping. I haven't had a chance to clean up yet.” Sango laughed as Kagome glared at her as well.
 
“Hello Kagome. I am glad we are finally here. Where is everyone?” Miroku came up from the car to stand beside Sango.
 
“Inuyasha is cleaning fish for dinner while Koga and Ayame are swimming.”
 
“Where should we put our stuff?” Kagome showed them which tent the guys would use while the other would be for the girls.
 
“We'll keep the ice chests in the cars. There have been bear sightings recently.” Miroku nodded and took his stuff to the tent he'd be using. “How was your trip up, Sango?”
 
Sango blushed and Kagome looked at her, raising an eyebrow. “The trip up was fine.” Kagome waited for her to continue. Sango refused to meet her eyes.
 
“What's going on Sango?”
 
“Nothing.”
 
Kagome snorted. “I know you better than that.”
 
“I'll tell you later, I promise.” Kagome nodded, planning on holding her to that promise.
 
Kagome helped Sango get settled while Miroku got the campfire started. Inuyasha brought back the cleaned trout as Koga and Ayame came up the road. Kagome took the fish and wrapped them in foil before tucking them under the coals to bake.
 
A short time later, Kagome determined the fish was ready, and pulled the foil packets from the fire. Calling to the guys, she set the fish on a plat and took a seat. Everyone looked appreciatively at the meal that the girls had concocted. Sango had made potato salad and rolls. Ayame had brought and sliced a watermelon. Thanks to the efforts of Inuyasha, Koga and Ayame, there were enough fish for everyone to have two each. Everyone dug in and soon were fully satiated.
 
“Okay guys, it's your turn. We cook, you clean.” Sango handed Miroku a trash bag. With only a few groans, Inuyasha and Koga washed the dishes while Miroku threw away the garbage and put the leftover food securely away in the car.
 
While the guys cleaned up from dinner, the girls took a walk around the campground. “Okay Sango, what happened on the way up here?” Kagome put her hand on Sango's arm.
 
“We were probably half-way here when Miroku pulled his infamous move. I slapped him and asked why he kept doing that. I expected his normal excuses, but that is not what he told me. He said that his groping was how he told women that he liked them. I told him that we did not appreciate being man-handled in that way. Miroku stopped the car and looked at me and apologized. He told me that he liked me more than as a friend, but was not sure how to tell me.” Sango blushed while Kagome stared at her in shock. Ayame giggled.
 
“So what happened then?” Kagome started jumping up and down excitedly.
 
“I told him that I liked him too, that I would be willing to go beyond friendship, but only if he quit putting his hand on my ass without permission. He said he could do that and then we kissed. He started the car and here we are.”
 
“That is great Sango! I am so happy for you.”
 
“Yeah, well, we'll see what happens.”
 
“Who knows, maybe things will progress during this trip.” Ayame gave Sango a mischievous look, causing the dark haired girl to blush deeply while Kagome and Ayame laughed at her discomfort.
 
Back at camp, everyone sat around the campfire and told ghost stories. Kagome and Inuyasha held hands while Kagome leaned her head on Inuyasha's shoulder. Miroku and Sango sat together on a log, Miroku's arm resting on her shoulders; while Koga lay with his head on Ayame's lap. The stories continued late into the night before the group broke up and headed off to bed. After promising to rise early the next day to go hiking, goodnights were exchanged and the camp slowly quieted.
 
**********
 
TBC
 
A/N: I wanted this to be a light heated chapter to give everyone a breather before the story continues. As such, this is a filler chapter. The story will pick up again soon, so stay with me. As always, Read, Enjoy and Review. Thanks