InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Inuyasha ❯ Inuyasha ( Chapter 7 )

[ A - All Readers ]

Inu Yasha and Kagome sat together in silence on a grassy hill on a beautiful warm afternoon. Inu Yasha watched her quietly and was confused to what he was to do. After all, he knew he liked Kagome enough to be jealous for her; however, he had kissed Kikyo recently and there was true feeling in that. Yet he did care about Kagome, and letting her leave him for that stupid wolf shit was out of the question. He knew Kikyo's days were numbered, and he wanted to enjoy her company as long as he could. After that, he wanted to be with Kagome. After all to him, she was a part of Kikyo, and he was not giving anything of his Kikyo to anyone else, especially Koga!
 
Kagome watched the slew of different expressions that flew over Inu Yasha's perplexed face. Here there were, finally alone after all that yelling, and he said nothing to her.
 
She sighed in exasperation. At least Koga looked at her with straight forward desire; Inu Yasha looked at her with mild care and extreme confusion.
 
"Well....say something already," Kagome said forcefully, producing an "eep" out of Inu Yasha for knifing down the silence.
 
"What do you want me to say?" He asked gruffly, matching her grouchiness.
 
"Well, you wanted to "court" me. We're alone now, so try paying attention to me if you want to be with me so badly," Kagome said, her voice getting louder by each word.
 
"Humph! Who said I wanted to be with you? I just didn't want Koga to see you naked anymore," he said, crossing his arms and looking away from her.
 
Her face reddened with anger. "So you don't want to be with me After all? Is that it?"
 
She shot up from her spot and stood over him. She crossed her arms and stomped her foot. He looked at her with a shocked and regretful expression.
 
"No... wait..that's not what I meant!" He said, trying to calm her, but he was too late. Her temper had already soared.
 
"Sure it is! You'd rather be with Kikyo! When it comes right down to it all, this is what it's all about! Isn't it?"
 
'Damn how can she read my mind like that?' He thought.
 
"No it's not! Look, I do want to be with you, it's just..."
 
"SHUT UP!" You're lying as usual!" She turned her heel and started walking away toward camp. "This was a waste of time!" then she muttered under her breath. "I was a fool to think he really did want to be with me..."
 
Inu Yasha certainly heard that, and he felt horrible when he smelled her tears falling as she stomped away. He quickly felt the need to comfort her, and he bounded in front of her, stopping her in her tracks. She looked away as he tried to meet her with an apologetic gaze.
 
"Kagome...look...I'm sorry..."
 
She didn't say anything. Instead, she sniffed, and began roughly wiping away her tears. He noticed her eyes getting puffy. He hated that he always did this to her.
 
"I ---I can't stand it when you're with Koga. It's tearing me up inside," he confessed. He grabbed her by her shoulders roughly, but then loosened his grip and rested his hands delicately on them. She slowly met his gaze with a wet face and cloudy brown eyes. Her brows furrowed in anger, yet her eyes began softening to his expression. He smiled weakly.
 
"You fool! How can you say that to me when I caught you with Kikyo?!" she said defiantly through a hoarse voice. He winced at the mention of that again. He really didn't know how to respond to that. Did he really make a mistake by seeing Kikyo that day after what he said to Kagome? He just wasn't sure anymore.
 
"Kagome...about Kikyo...I still don't know what to do. I just," he sighed heavily, and it was obvious that the subject weighed heavily on his heart. "I just don't know anymore. I was hoping you'd understand my situation with her."
 
She looked at him with sympathy. Yes, she did understand his confusion; however, she really wanted him to resolve it. She yearned for him, and his uncertainty time and time again was causing her heartache and depression. Most of all, she was beginning to get frustrated with the roller coaster of emotions this love triangle created.
 
She sighed heavily. "Inu Yasha, you know I care about you. I told you I'd stay by your side, and yet you still chase after a dead woman from the past," he looked at her and watched her face shift from sadness to annoyance. "Frankly, I'm getting tired of it."
 
She looked away, fearful to see his pained face her words may have caused him resulting in her loss of composure and a possible change of mind of what she just said. However, she did truly feel like she was tired of it. Koga offered her what she wanted from Inu Yasha: complete and utter devotion --- to feel like she was the one and only wanted woman.And she really couldn't deny her growing feelings for Koga either.
 
Inu Yasha was left speechless. He felt a hitch in his chest. The expression on her face and the sorrow in her words frightened him for the things to come. Will his wishy-washy behavior toward her prove to someday separate them? Was he going to lose her?
 
He hugged her tightly, and she let out a startled gasp. She soaked in his warmth and felt a desperate sense of urgency in his touch. He stroked her back lovingly with his hands as he embraced her. He softly rested his head on her shoulder. She sighed at the progression of this intimate moment.
 
"Inu Yasha..." She said,almost forgetting to breathe.
 
"Kagome..." he whispered softly, his voice wavering somewhat. "Please, believe in me a little longer. I don't mean to cause you so much pain."
 
She closed her eyes tightly and felt the tears overflow. She felt their warmth grow colder as they trickled down her cheeks. His words were so soft--- so precious to produce such enduring responses from her soul. What he was asking from her was utterly selfish on his behalf. She knew this, and in the instant she faltered, remembering the pain he had always caused her and the pain to come if she allowed him to keep her in his reserves as his second while he sorted out his feelings for his first.
 
She broke from his hug, and he saw fortitude in her eyes. He was a bit frightened by the determined look swelling on her face.
 
"Kiss me," she ordered, yet her words echoed blind passion along with her dominant request.
 
Inu Yasha's lip quivered, and he gaped at her in shock. He pulled away slightly from her, and his frightened response began to cause her some pain.
 
'If he truly loved me, he would not hesitate as if the mere thought of it distressed him,' she looked at his immobile figure and unsure eyes and felt a stab in her gut.
 
'So he can't do it After all
 
"Inu Yasha, I want someone in my life that will never hesitate to kiss me. He would never hesitate to love me," she said with strong intentions but witch a weakened voice. Suddenly she began to choke on her words as her emotions overpowered her. "I thought you were that person."
 
And seeing as if he would do no more, she bowed her head in shame and stared at the ground littered with her own despair.
 
After seeing her like this, he could do nothing but regret his actions. He hated himself for it, causing this innocent girl so much pain. Nervously, he held his hands out to her again, taking her shoulders.
 
She gasped in surprise as she felt his trembling touch.
 
'What is one kiss? Kikyo won't mind if she doesn't know..." was in his thoughts. He had to keep Kagome his anyway he could. It was impulsive, and he may not truly mean it, but he would kiss her to keep her from finally turning away.
 
He motioned her to come closer, bringing his face closer to hers. She weakly raised her head to see his face so close to hers. She was wide-eyed at the moment, feeling a bit relieved that she had been so presumptuous about his actual feelings and maybe he was too shy to kiss her after all.
 
'This is really happening!' She screamed in her head, mixed with disbelief and joy. He had licked his lips when he moved closer to her. She responsively began to close her eyes as if this ideal motion was taking forever to complete.
 
Finally, she felt his hot breath on her lips, meaning it was only inevitable that she finally taste him.
 
"Okay! Times up!"
 
Kagome and Inu Yasha jumped back startled. Koga walked out from behind some bushes in the forest with a dark expression on his face.
 
"You asshole! How dare you!" Inu Yasha fumed, his cheeks reddening from embarrassment and anger. "What gives you the right?"
 
"Shut up! I agreed to let you court her, but since I'm her First, I decide how long she stays with her other suitors. And for you today, your time is up! Now, it's my turn!"
 
"Koga! Just give us five minutes! You interrupted something very important!" Kagome fumed, shaking her fist at him.
 
Koga gave her an icy look. "Oh really? It didn't look that important to me. In a way, the scene looked a bit forced."
 
Inu Yasha looked startled that the wolf demon had been so perceptive, and he was even more upset that maybe Kagome was thinking that was true.
 
"It's none of your business!" He shouted, defending, in his own way, the merit behind the situation.
 
Kagome was silent as if she had suddenly been hit in the face by a frying pan. She had just been robbed of her one chance to kiss Inu Yasha and Koga had stopped it. Furthermore, she had to ASK Inu Yasha to kiss her, and even when he was going to, Koga steps in and makes a clear analysis of how the situation had appeared to him.
 
Forced?
 
Did Kagome really want to believe that? Inu Yasha and Koga looked over at her, and both seemed concerned about her distress.
 
"Kagome...I..." Inu Yasha sputtered.
 
"Shut up..." she whispered, her shoulders shaking as she began to cry again. Koga stepped in and said, "Kagome maybe we should go somewhere priv---"
 
"SHUT THE HELL UP!" She said to both of them. "Leave me alone, both of you!" She then dashed into the forest alone, wailing and leaving a trail of tears behind her.
 
Inu Yasha made a gesture to go look for her, but Koga was quick and stepped in front of him. He gave Inu Yasha a severe look. "Haven't you made her cry enough?"
 
Koga's words hit him harshly like a piercing katana. Inu Yasha glared at him.
 
"What do you know?" Inu Yasha fumed.
 
"I know that Kagome is the type of woman who deserves someone to love her and not make her cry," Koga said calmly yet defiantly. "And that person isn't you!"
 
"Fuck off!" Inu Yasha barked. How dare this whelp tell him what Kagome needs. "You don't know anything! You're just an outsider! Stop budding into our business!"
 
"Does this business include another woman as well?" Koga challenged, stopping Inu Yasha from walking away any further.
 
Inu Yasha couldn't look at him in the eyes. To defend himself, he merely said, "Like I said, it's none of your business."
 
"Like hell it ain't! The day Kagome agreed to court me she became my business! And I will do everything in my power to protect her!" And before Inu Yasha could respond, Koga had dashed like the wind in Kagome's direction.
 
Inu Yasha mournfully stood there inanimately as he watched Koga run away to comfort Kagome in the distance. He said rather pathetically to himself, "Protect her? But I'm the the one who protects her..."
 
Kagome sat at the edge of the river, and she soaked her feet into the cold stream. The quiet harmony of the forest subdued her tears and muted her present trauma.
 
The idea that Inu Yasha almost kissed her made her heart flutter, but the rigid reality of Koga's words made her senses shatter, and she began to see the clarity of it all---pushing away her denial.
 
She felt like crying again, but then she realized that maybe she had cried too much for too long.
 
Was she really kidding herself with Inu Yasha? He always saw her as second best; she knew that. However, to hear so bluntly from Koga how things really were left her feeling shell shocked.
 
'An almost kiss...that was forced.' She mused to herself, and she hugged her knees hoping her own warmth would keep away the chill her body was feeling.
 
Suddenly she sensed jewel shards as she kept her senses so completely open, and she turned around to see Koga leaning against a tree with a serious expression.
 
"Kagome, I'm sorry," he said right away. She looked at him with sadness. He had quickly apologized when she normally had to prod an apology from Inu Yasha.
 
"There's nothing to be sorry about," she said quietly, turning her wounded gaze from her back at the glittering stream.
 
"Yes, there is. I ruined your most intimate moment. I had no right to do that. I am truly sorry."
 
Kagome laughed, which startled him. Her laughter died out and help produce a solemn expression. "No, it was good that you did," Kagome said. Her smile was pained, and her words were laced with truth. "I was fooling myself to think I could force him to do what I most wanted. You are right.It was forced."
 
"Maybe I was wrong---"
 
"No," Kagome interrupted. "You don't have to deny it to make me feel better. It's the truth."
 
"Then what will make you feel better?" he said sympathetically, yet Kagome could sense some seduction in his tone. He walked over to her and embraced her from behind. She gasped and started to tremble nervously as he encased her within his loving heat.
 
She placed her hands over his and enjoyed the tranquility of the moment. "I guess...I guess you could just hold me like this for now."
 
"All right," he whispered, blowing the hair away from her ear and then nibbling it lightly before resting his head on her shoulder. He shifted around her, wrapping his body around hers and dipping his feet into to the stream to join hers. She felt his warm legs wall around her. His presence became so soothing, and his embrace around her body with his own comforted her and slightly enticed her. She felt a jump in her midsection as she felt something bulge against the small of her back. Yet Koga continued to hold her despite her responses to him.
 
Falling under his spell, she then whispered very dreamily, "Just once, if I die tomorrow or next week, I'd like to be kissed by someone who really loves me."
 
Koga opened his content eyes and brought his lips to her ear. "I love you, Kagome. Let me be the one to do this for you."
 
Kagome blushed and felt a tingle in her lower body again, stronger than ever. She got caught up in the softness of his voice and the heat of his breath cascading over her ear and shoulder. She nodded weakly as he made a motion to face her.
 
TBC...