InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Lost in a Dream ❯ Alter Egos and Freshly Made Bread ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Alter Egos and Freshly Made Bread
 
 
 
“NO YOU SHUT UP!!!”
“NO YOU SHUT UP!!!”
“NO YOU SHUT UP!!!”
“NO YOU SHUT UP!!!”
Eda sighed and put her face in her hands- two hours… they'd been arguing for TWO firkin hours! She sighed, and looked up at Taizen seated across from her at the homemade kashiwa table, his face was set, calm, and passive, his eyes closed and his arms crossed lightly across his chest as he tried to blot out the noise of Yukio and her split personality arguing with each other from across the room…
“NO YOU SHUT UP!!!”
“NO YOU SHUT UP!!!”
“WHAY DON'T YOU COME OVER HERE AND FUCKEN MAKE ME!!!”
“DON'T THINK I WONT!!!”
Though before Kawaii could do anything drastic, Eda furiously lost her temper, and jumped from her chair, one of her light pink wings knocking a glass to the floor and causing it to shatter as she glared back and forth between the two verbal sparing partners, “THAT'S ENOUGH!!!” she screamed, and the two immediately fell silent, mouths dropping to the floor as they gaped in wonder- Eda rarely lost her temper, let alone show it… it was enough to send them all into an uncomfortable tense silence, even Taizen gazing at Eda with apprehension apparent in his calm features.
Eventually, Yukio lost her patience (which wasn't hard as she really didn't seem to have any) and stormed from the house out into the street.
Furious at herself for her outburst, Eda forced herself to be calm and peaceful once more. She really couldn't understand why she blown up like that- Yukio was always fighting with Kawaii… always, just as far back as she could remember…
No one save the two half sisters could see Kawaii and Taizen… and that was probably because they didn't really exist… well, let me back up: Yukio had grown up among the eastern wolf demon tribe- but she'd never really seemed to fit in; she'd go off for hours by herself in the forest or for a swim, but though she appeared to be alone, she'd always had two friends with her- always: Kawaii, and Taizen. It wasn't until she'd met up with and became friends with Eda when she was six, that her two “friends” took on physical forms that Eda too could see.
Kawaii was the arrogant one, always one to speak before she'd thought what meaning or effect her words would have on others- thus, she was almost always fighting with someone. (That may also have been the reason for the “wings” that sprouted from her back- well, they were more like spikes- there were eight in total.) She was often called S.P. -which stood for, Split Personality- normally when someone was terribly upset with her, or whished to annoy her even more
T.P. Yukio's Third Personality, or Taizen, was the calm one, the voice of reason, he rarely spoke up, but when he did he almost always had something useful to say.
Both split personalities were free to zoom in and out of Yukio's right ear as they saw fit, and Yukio herself had the tendency to shove S.P. back into her ear if she was annoyed with the wench, and she often had the tendency of taking on one of the personalities as her own for weeks on end.
So, I guess they were real- it was just that no one but the two sisters could see them. And it wasn't like Eda and Yukio were truly sisters either… they'd just been friends for so long, everyone had started to think of them as such- besides, they both had the same name- of course, how could a Youkai and a Hanyou be related, if one was a wolf demon, and another was half phoenix demon- it could just never happen.
Eda sighed heavily, and leaned on the wall for support, closing her eyes for a moment, her wings subconsciously folding around her for warmth and comfort.
A creak of the floor boards caused her eyes to flick open however, and she watched Taizen as he softly crept from his chair, and made his way over to the cupboards, and started to pull some bags of flour and wheat, and other things onto the table.
Kawaii watched him with a critical eye, “What the hell do you think you're doing?”
He answered softly, as though daring her to snap back, “We're out of bread, so I'm going to make some more.”
The sashou annoyance crossed her arms and tilted her head slightly, before blurting out, “But your cooking stinks, what makes you think you can make something like bread… It's supposed to taste good!”
T.P. simply furrowed an eyebrow in annoyance before continuing on with the removing of ingredients from the cupboard.
“Suit yourself.” Kawaii told him airily, before pulling her robs beneath her knees and sitting down with a flourish in one of the kashiwa chairs, “I only wished to give you some well needed advice, speaking of which, here's some more: cut that ridiculous thing off the back of your neck, you look like a donkey who's just been scared down his pants.”
Ignoring her as usual, Taizen continued to work with the bread, mixing the dough then kneading it on a board to avoid the ruining of the table: a slight glimmer in his eyes all that could suggest he'd heard her suggestion.
Kawaii of course, wasn't perturbed at his lack of answer, nor, it seemed, of her own rudeness, and continued on plowing ahead with different suggestions to his appearance, helpful hints with the bread making, and casual comments of his past errors, until Taizen, never loosing his air of tranquility and the calm look about his face, swiftly raised the heavy board, bread dough an' all, and brought it down with a loud TWACH! Right over Kawaii's vain head.

^-^

Yukio walked through the small village as fast as her swift legs could possible take her. (Which was fairly fast though she was hardly jogging) She glided swiftly into the trees that guarded her home on all sides, and winded her way casually through the thicket, (though slower this time) until she was far enough away not to have been followed. Then she flopped down into the leaves, and sank back against the cool bark of the nearest tree, closing her eyes and calming her aching vocal chords -Kawaii really was much too full of herself.
She ran a hand up through her hair, the brought it down to feel her fangs to see if they were really broken, or if they just felt like it… No, still there, sharp as ever.
Sighing heavily she snuggled deeper into the tree, the sparse grass and leave closing in around her body like a blanket, until she slowly sank into a semi-slumber, her mind and body closed and restful, but her senses still awake and alert for anything. The fingers of her right hand gently twisting the shiny thing hanging from her neck back and forth between the claws of her forefinger and thumb.
She remained like that for a while, listening to the kaze as it blew gently though the trees, causing the leaves to whisper amongst one another about the strange figure beneath their sturdy bows… until eventually it began to grow dark, and after heaving another sigh, she pushed herself regretfully to her feet, and began the walk back to the village, her midnight black tail weaving slightly back and forth between her legs as she walked- she took extra care to be slow, mind; she had no desire whatsoever of facing Kawaii before she absolutely had to. And as soon as she did see the little imp, she'd stuff her back into her head where she belonged.
The soft glow of the fire and the smell of fresh bread wafting from her home's window sped up her pace, however, and before she knew it, she was standing at the matt covering the entrance to the warmth comfort and annoyance within…
She was just about to push aside the matt and walk in when a scream behind her drove all thoughts of warm bread and soft beds from her mind, and she turned in confusion towards the source of the noise.
Seeing nothing, she turned an was once again about to enter the hut, when another scream pierced the night, followed by another, and another until each and every tiny hair at the back of her neck was standing straight, and the very air seemed to be think with the blood chilling sounds.
With no thought but to satisfy her curiosity -for she'd left her two voices of reason behind in the hut with the fresh bread- Yukio ran down the street, around the nearest hut, and came to a screeching halt- there before her were the bodies of half the village, with the rest left with their lives forced to scramble to save them.
Yukio's eyes widened in horror, and she looked around to find the cause of it all, when her sensitive ears herd a light flap from above her, and she looked up in time to see a fluff of pink descend upon her- screaming in fright without pausing to think who or what it had been, or where the hell she was going, Yukio pushed off from the dirt, scrambled furiously to her feet, and high tailed it away from the scene as fast as she possibly could, her eyes and hands clenched tight at the horror, until she ran into something hard and solid and no more problems could she see.


^-^

“Kagome's back! Kagome's back!” screamed the kitsune as he raced into the hut where Kiede was gently mashing herbs for Inuyasha's latest wound in a small bowl -it was nothing serious, he'd gotten into a little grapple with another demon a few hours ago, and had come off only slightly scratched.
Inuyasha looked up immediately when he'd heard his Miko's name, his ears twitching in hardly concealed glee: She was back! Now they could go hunt down Kouga and get the two shards still embedded in the wolves legs!
Hardly a moment later, a gently smiling Kagome and Sango entered the hut, and sat down opposite the men with Shippou bouncing up and down between and over them until Kagome -seeing Inuyasha's look of annoyance- scooped the sashou fox up and plunked him down into her lap, where he happily curled up and began to chatter like he needed no breath, “Kagome we've missed you, inuyasha missed you too, though we all know he's too stubborn to admit it. He wants to go after the jewel shards in Kouga's legs again, though Mirkou kept telling him you'd be upset- are you Kagome, are you upset, or will we go back to the wolf den?”
Kagome didn't answer; she was too busy glaring at Inuyasha.
Inuyasha caught her glare out of the corner of his eye, but chose not to acknowledge it, instead focusing on the herb-mush Kiede had applied to his bare arms and the slash along his lower leg…
Miroku shifted slightly, -closer to Sango- and voiced swiftly, “Sango and I heard rumors of a small village not far from here- the villagers claim it was attacked by demon's not long ago- demon's that greatly resembled Kagura and Kanna…”
At this Inuyasha's ears shot straight up and quivered for the last bit of news he was so desperate to hear; all thoughts of butchering Kouga whipped straight from his mind…
“Another butchery, it seems, on Narkau's hands.”



A/N: I am well aware there were no tables in feudal Japan, but I couldn't think of any other way to write the scene in the hut, I hope you understand^-^
-Dawn


Kashiwa: Wooden
Sashou: Little
Kaze: Wind
 
 
 
Okay…so I gave up on waiting for a review for the prologue…but I want 1 review for this chapter before I post the next one…and don't think I'll give in so easily this time! :P and don't tell me that one single review is too much work. Just one review. All someone hasta do to get the next chapter is post ~1~ review!!! How hard is that? Pwease? Just one review? its my first story on here…*pouts*
-Sarah