InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Love is a Fickle Thing ❯ Love Hurts ( Chapter 18 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Love is a Fickle Thing
Dreammistress Jade; yeah, a bitchy Kikyo gets old. She's done some bad things, but she must have been good at some point! I doubt Inuyasha would fall for someone like that.
SlummyRedDragon; Well, the Kikyo in Kags' dream world does snap her out of it. But they never say if it's the real Kikyo doing it or not, but I think that would be cool.
Chapter 18
Love Hurts
Kagome ended up spending the night in the room where Kikyo had taken her. It was the first time she had slept alone, not counting all those nights at home with her mother across the hall. It was also the first time she had truly been on her own in the Sengoku Jidai. She missed her friends a lot that night. She missed Shippo curling up beside her like a feline, Sango and Miroku slowly breathing, Miroku snoring slightly. And even though she rarely saw it, she missed the feel of Inuyasha's eyes on her, protecting her through the night, her personal guard dog. The image of Inuyasha wearing a collar that said `Beware of Hanyou' had her giggling at the morning sun.
Inuyasha and Koga had not come yet. Kagome figured that Kikyo simply hadn't found them yet. It shocked her to say the least, but she trusted her to find her friends and bring them to her. Kikyo had at least proven somewhat trustworthy, Kagome could trust her with the idea she would save her again. Kagome still wasn't sure that she was completely good, but Kikyo had saved her life. That was worth something at least.
Kagome stood from her bed and yawned. She slid open the shoji and walked out onto the veranda, shielding her eyes from the sunlight.
“Kagome!” Kagome pulled down her hand and gasped as Kouga skidded to a stop in front of her. Kagome smiled.
“Hi Kouga.” She said quietly.
“We were worried that you'd gotten attacked or something, then we found out you were here from a traveler. How did you get here?” Kouga asked. Kagome nodded.
“Long story. Did this traveler…look like me?” she said. Kouga frowned.
“Yeah, she said her name was Kikyo. How'd you know that?” he asked.
“Longer story.” Kagome replied. She looked behind him and sighed as she noticed he was alone. “Where's Inuyasha?” Kouga shrugged.
“The mutt couldn't keep up, he's back in the forest somewhere. Sango and Miroku stayed at the campsite, we're supposed to head back now.” He explained.
“Um, Kouga…” Kagome started. She wasn't sure how to tell him she had changed her mind. To be fair, she had never said she loved him or anything. But she had accepted his mark. He was bound to be hurt. “I want you to wait here.” She said. She stepped off the veranda and walked towards the woods. “I need to talk to Inuyasha…alone.” Kouga raised an eyebrow.
“What about?” Kagome bit her lip.
“It wasn't Inuyasha that was in the hot spring.” She explained. Kouga growled.
“I knew the mutt wasn't that strong. But Naraku pretending to be the mutt?”
“Yeah, he's done it before.” Kagome said.
“He has? When?”
“That's part of the longer story.” Kagome muttered, walking into the forest. She sighed and tried to find Inuyasha. With his nose he was probably following her scent, unless Kikyo's directions had gone in a different direction then she had when she had gone to the cliff. Figuring she had better use the route she knew, she headed to the cliff, using a few broken branches and trampled grass as her guide. Besides, if Inuyasha was here, he's sniff her out.
A few minutes later, the forest thinned out and Kagome found herself on a familiar cliff. She didn't go too far out, but far enough to look for Inuyasha. He wasn't there, at least not yet. She sighed and turned to go back into the forest and look around some more. That was when the familiar fire-rat red haori came into view. Kagome steadied herself and gulped as Inuyasha walked out of the forest.
“I thought I smelt you.” He said. “Kouga's at the village Kikyo told us about.”
“I met him.” Kagome replied. “But I want to talk to you right now.” Inuyasha nodded and took a step forward. “Did you and Kikyo…talk?” Kagome asked. Inuyasha shrugged.
“She came to the group and told us where we could find you.” He said. “We didn't get a chance to talk much more, it was dawn, and we wanted to find you.” Kagome nodded. Once again, he opted for her safety over Kikyo. Had he done it before and she just not noticed it?
“Um, about…everything.” Kagome started. “I want to talk about us.” Inuyasha's eyes clouded and he cast a disinterested glance over his shoulder.
“I didn't know there was an us anymore.” He muttered. Kagome sighed and walked up to him.
“Inuyasha…of course there is.” She said. “Why would you think that there wasn't?” Inuyasha snorted, and his eyes darted to Kagome's shoulder, at the bruise that was Kouga's mark. Kagome caught the action, though. “About Kouga…”
“If you want to be with him, I won't stop you.” Inuyasha said. Kagome bit her lip.
“I'm not sure who I want to be with.” Kagome said. Inuyasha finally looked at her. “I thought I wanted to be with Kouga, but, that was before I knew about Naraku.” Kagome took a breath. “I wanted to be with you, and part of me still does. But I was afraid of you for a while, and I thought that if I mated Kouga, he would protect me.” Inuyasha was silent for a minute. He turned completely around and took a step into the forest. Kagome gasped and grabbed his sleeve.
“Inuyasha, please, listen to me. I'm sorry for slapping you, I'm sorry for not trusting, I'm sorry for everything. But please, just don't hate me. I don't want you to not trust me.” Inuyasha stopped, but didn't look back.
“I held you, and begged you to trust me.” He said quietly. “I begged you to believe that I wouldn't hurt you. And then you slapped me in the face, and now you tell me that you were afraid of me?” he sighed and started walking into the forest again, tugging his sleeve out of Kagome's grasp.
“Inuyasha…”
“Don't Kagome.” He said sharply. “Just. Don't.”
And now, the profile for the story going up once this is done!
Title-Broken Dreams
Summary- Three years ago, Kouga killed Inuyasha and forced Kagome to become his mate. Spending her nights in the arms of a lustful wolf has made Kagome's life a living hell. Can anyone break the darkness and awaken her from her nightmare?
Pairings; Kou/Kag, mystery person/Kag
Genre; Angst/Tragedy (Inu dies and Kags is raped nightly, I think that qualifies as tragedy!)
Warning; Very dark, and most certainly NOT for Kouga lovers. Naraku, Kikyo, and Ayame will be around, and not just in flashbacks. Kagome will be paired up with a mystery person. If you want cute and cuddly fluff, this ain't for you. If you want character death, lust and mutilation, stick around! And be gentle, it's my first dark fic.