InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Mating Season ❯ Unto this world, new life emergeth ( Chapter 70 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]
Blanket Disclaimer:

Inuyasha, and the characters therein, are the property of Rumiko Takahashi. I am in no way affiliated with Takahashi, or VIZ Productions.


========================





Chapter 70 - Unto this world, new life emergeth






“Push!” Kagome commanded, clinching the hand she held even tighter.

“Ye are nearly there child,” Kaede assured, as the contraction finally passed, and Sango’s sweating body slumped in exhaustion. “Only the legs and afterbirth remaining.” she said in a raised, rushed voice, as she cradled the mostly delivered infant, another wave of pain already overcoming the ex-taijiya’s body.

“My love-”

“Save it!” she snapped, instantly cutting off whatever it was that Miroku had attempted to coo, as he gripped her other hand.

Sango, being a little more reserved in the ways of the time period she had always called home, had politely requested that her brother, Inuyasha, and Shippo all excuse themselves from the birthing room. But that was perfectly all right with the hanyou, Inuyasha sympathized, not sure he desired to witness yet another woman experiencing such pain, and besides, somebody had to watch Kazuki while Kagome was in there coaching. Surprisingly though, Sango had agreed to permit Miroku to stay by her side, which simply “wasn’t done” in that particular day and age. But having witnessed Kagome’s desire, and apparent strength, in having her husband remain by her side, Sango had quickly realized that she, too, would prefer to have Miroku present during such a time. However, that didn’t mean that she wished to hear his empty words of love and sympathy, not while she was currently fantasizing about relieving him of his manhood, and feeding it to Kirara.

“I swear monk,” she hissed as another wave of pain passed over her, “You will never touch me ever again!”

Miroku visibly paled, obviously believing her threat. Perhaps tats was why husbands were not usually present during such things, because it made them instant targets. But upon glancing up at Kagome, and registering the smiling shake of her head, as she indicated for him to pay Sango’s threats no heed, he relaxed, sympathizing with her obvious pain. For a brief moment, Miroku actually found himself wishing that he and Sango shared such a bond as Kagome possessed with Inuyasha, so that he too could share with her suffering...

“Goddamn mother fucking son-of-a-bitch!”

Then again…maybe not.

“Sango?” he questioned hesitantly, as her body slumped once more.

“Rest child, ye are finished.” Kaede assured, as she severed the umbilical cord, discarded the placenta, and proceeded to clean the infant, before handing the wrapped bundle to Miroku, mirroring her “Ye are a father.” congratulatory statement.

Vacating the hut, the elderly miko greeted those who’d waited outside with a tired, but smiling face, as she stated “Unto this world, new life emergeth.”

Can’t she just say, ‘Sango had the baby?’ Inuyasha wondered incredulously, smiling all the same.

Back inside the hut, Kagome smiled at the way Miroku’s aura seemed to glow as he gazed down at his daughter. “She’s perfect.” she said, as she stood, preparing to give the new parents a bit of privacy.

A small tug on her wrist redirected her attention back to her best friend, who was really more like a sister to her, as Sango breathlessly whispered “Thank you.” before releasing her hand.

```````````````````````````````````````````````````````````` ``````

Approximately three hundred miles west, near the shoreline of what would become known as Sakai, Osaka, there rested a very similar, yet very different scene, from the one taking place in ancient Tokyo.

Peacefully, deceptively so, the stoic Taiyoukai waited for word within his study, while Wenying tended to the wind witch’s every need.

Gritting her teeth, as she refused to cry out, Kagura permitted the latest wave of pain to pass over her, before calmly asking “May I have some more water?”

Chuckling, Wenying, in her advanced age and wisdom, understood that while Kagura’s pain may not be as intense as it would be for mortals, it still probably hurt like hell. After all, just because her youngest cub was a man of over four hundred years, didn’t mean the ancient panda-youkai didn’t remember what it was like to give birth.

“Lady Kagura…” she mock-scolded, “I am your servant, and you will address me as such.” she insisted, as though Kagura’s statement had been rude, and directed toward a superior. The strange comment from the panda, considering the truth of the circumstances, was enough to cause Kagura to chuckle as well, which had been Wenying’s intention all along.

“You will bring me water!” Kagura ordered in a mostly exaggerated yell, adding “Now!” more sincerely, as a fresh contraction washed over her in that precise moment.

Chuckling again, and patting her hand, Wenying cooed “Now that’s more like it.” before promptly excusing herself to retrieve a fresh basin.

A mostly silent evening ensued, the castle’s tranquility broken only by the very occasional whimper or mild curse, before the strong scent of blood caused Sesshoumaru to finally vacate his study. Approaching the shoji that separated him from his mate, he inhaled deeply, and instantly detected the scent of his child. Doing something Sesshoumaru almost never did, especially in his own home, he knocked. In the span of a horrid eternity that was really more like five seconds, Wenying finally slid open the screen, silently gesturing with a sideways nod for him to join them within the room.

There he saw a most remarkable sight. Kagura was lying rather peacefully, upon a raised pile of futon mattresses that, with all the blankets, appeared more like a modern-day bed. Having slid herself fully against the back wall, a few pillows offering cushioned support, the front of her yukata rested open, as she happily breast-fed their pup.

As Sesshoumaru approached his mate, Wenying mumbled something softly under her breath along the lines of “I’ll leave you two alone…” before she vacated the birthing chamber. The nursemaid was sure it wouldn’t be long before news reached Rin’s human ears regarding the birth, so heading out towards the gardens where she knew the mortal to currently be tending her newly budding flowers, the ancient youkai happily took it upon herself to keep the girl distracted for a few hours to come. Sesshoumaru would undoubtedly send for Rin when they were ready for her presence.

Glancing up, Kagura instantly saw the unasked question in her mate’s eyes, and offered him a soft smile. Sesshoumaru did not wish to misinterpret her smile, however, as he gently reached down and brushed the backside of his knuckles against the silver head that was currently latched upon Kagura’s breast, so he waited for her to say it, just to be sure. He knew she knew he desired a female pup, however, newly whelped offspring possessed no distinctive odor regarding gender. Offering his mate a look that meant to say he would wait to learn no longer, he raised an eyebrow at the way her smile increased, and he dared permit hope to wash over him, relief soon to follow at the gentle words “Rin has a sister.”

``````````````````````````````````````````````````` ````````

Kohaku was nervous, never before having held a baby, especially one so new and fragile. But all the same, looking down upon the sleeping face of his niece brought a swell of pride to his heart. He was an uncle. “Uncle Kohaku” would one day flow from the little princess’ lips. He couldn’t wait.

Glancing up at everyone else who currently sat around the fire pit, the scene was very similar to one that had taken place just over two months prior, though the Western Lord and his entourage were not currently present. Moreover, they were in fact within the hut he shared with his sister and her husband, Inuyasha and his family being the visitors that time.

“Gina?” the young Taijiya suggested, thinking of his niece’s silvery-blue eyes.

Shaking her head softly, Kagome pointed out “Most babies, or at least human babies, are born with blue eyes.” explaining “They’ll likely turn brown in time.”

“I think we should save ‘silver’ for your first daughter.” Sango teased her friend, recalling how Kagome had clearly stated she wanted to wait for ‘quite some time’ before she and Inuyasha had another child.

“What’s with your family and colors?” Inuyasha jibed, nonetheless mentally inventorying the idea of Gina as a possible future name.

(For those of you who don’t know, ‘Sango’ means ‘Coral’ and ‘Kohaku’ means ‘Amber’)

Shrugging, Sango made a gesture as if to indicate she was fully receptive to additional name ideas, if anyone had any suggestions.

“Shinju?” Miroku suggested, but shaking her head, Sango mumbled “Inuyasha does have a point.”

Conceding, he offered the next name to pop into his head “Shizuka?”

Laughing outright, Inuyasha pointed and said “You’re kidding right?” Kagome tried not to laugh herself at the memories of Kazuki’s full-throated cries, as Inuyasha proceeded to mumble “Not likely.” under his breath.

“How about Akemi?” Kagome suggested after regaining her composure, smiling as Sango nodded and complemented “That’s pretty.”

“Or Akiko.” Miroku added, thinking along similar lines.

“But its spring.” Shippo pointed out, and Miroku nodded his understanding.

“How about you?” Sango asked Inuyasha, who had so far only been offering feedback, “Any ideas?”

Staring down at the little human bundle that had since woken, the inu-hanyou took a deep inhale of her scent, confirming how perfect the child truly was - strong, and healthy. But what struck him most were her unusually full lips and long eyelashes, strange for an infant. Like Kazuki, she had been born with a full head of hair, unusual among humans, though not unheard of. Of course, her hair was raven black, like that of her parents, and he agreed with Kagome’s assessment that her eyes would shortly darken to a soft, rich mahogany. As he gazed at her, Inuyasha felt an unusual swell of pride. She was not his, of course, nor was she in truth even his niece, by blood, but she was a pup whelped within his pack, and as alpha, he felt a strong protective sense over their newest member. He’d never before in all honesty ever given much passing thought to the human children of the village, outside the recognition that they were his responsibility, as Lord of the land, but this girl…he already knew he loved her as the family she was. Her features struck him once more, as he mentally compared her to other human whelps he had seen in the past, some of which had been rather unpleasant to look at, in all honesty. Then he recalled the name Kagome had suggested, and he found he agreed with his mate, this child was beautiful. Before he realized he was even speaking, before a mask of harsh indifference could form itself over the softened features of the mellowed hanyou as he felt comfortable amongst his closest friends, everyone who sat closely around the fire pit clearly heard him voice out

“Emi.”

Sango gasped, surprised, and truly touched.

They didn’t see Inuyasha’s softer side nearly as often as Kagome herself did, so it was no wonder that the young miko did not seem surprised at her mate’s suggestion, but rather, merely patted his knee, and said “That sounds perfect.”

“I agree…” Miroku spoke up, the final decision ultimately being his to make, of course. But he felt there was no point in discussing names any further, and passing a glance at Sango to see if she agreed with his thoughts, he smiled at her visible nod.

“This child’s name is Emi.” he stated, making it official.

Inuyasha, finally realizing how mushy he’d just been, at least had the decency to blush, even as his heart swelled with pride once more.

```````````````````````````````````````````````````````````` ````````````

Sesshoumaru gazed with pride at his first-born. He knew Rin would understand why this child would be heir of the Western Lands over herself, as a human simply could not rule a kingdom of youkai. Even if he were to grant Rin the title of heir, in the rarest of events that something befell both himself and his mate, bringing about the time of Rin’s rule, it would only be a matter of days, if not hours, that she was assassinated by one of his enemies.

During Kagura’s pregnancy, Rin had already voiced her desire to help them raise the next “Lord or Lady” as she’d said it, knowing that the child would be above her in rank. The castle servants did often call her “Lady Rin” however, now that her status as adopted pup of their Lord had been made official, followed swiftly by the announcement of the pending birth of the West’s “first heir” which undoubtedly brought a silent wave of relief over most of the realm. Not being a threat to the purity of the ruling line made Rin’s status as “Lady” much more widely accepted. Sesshoumaru had banished all those who’d opposed the mortal’s presence in the West long ago, so the youkai staff that remained at least accepted her presence, and upon hearing of her considered relation to their Lord, most were genuinely happy for the girl.

Studying his first blood-daughter’s features, as he noted them within the ancient family scrolls, Sesshoumaru was amazed at the way he and Kagura had seemed to effortlessly blend their strengths into one. The pup bore the silver hair of the Inu no Taisho bloodline, but Kagura had been correct in her curiosity as to whether or not their child’s eyes would be of an unusual color. They were, in fact, just as red as Kagura’s eyes, containing black pupils as opposed to indigo, which revealed her untransformed status. They gave their infant daughter a hard, cold gaze, which made her father proud. All would fear her.

Though new and undeveloped, tiny claws adorned the tips of all ten fingers. It was too early to tell if she had inherited her father’s command over poison, as that was something her body wouldn’t start to produce at that early a stage in her life, though she did not bare the crescent moon of his mother’s family. She did, however, bare dual stripes upon each cheek, though no crests were present anywhere else upon her body. Her ears were undoubtedly pointed, that being a standard youkai trait which both her parents shared, and he was also quite certain, considering the child was half inu, that she would also undoubtedly develop a set of deadly fangs, once her teeth grew in. Upon sensing the strength of her young youki, it was also suspected that she had at least mildly inherited her mother’s command over the wind. Whether or not she could fully transform into an inu was also something that would have to wait at least a few days for discovery, as her body and powers would continue to strengthen with each day that passed.

Gazing down at her lovingly, though no expression to reveal such an emotion escaped his hardened stare, the “Ice King” silently noted that, with training, their daughter would one day proudly earn the harsh nickname “Ice Queen” in his stead. Deciding then upon the ideal name for one such as powerful as she, honoring his mate in the process, he forcefully stated

“This child’s name is Suishoukaze.”

========================

Translations …

Shinju means “Pearl,” which Sango dismissed because it is also a color, of sorts.

Shizuka means “Quiet,” so I’m sure you can see why Inuyasha and Kagome, having experienced a new infant’s midnight wails firsthand, found this suggestion so amusing.

Kagome’s suggestion Akemi means “Bright and Beautiful”

Akiko means “Bright Child,” but it can also mean “Autumn Child,” which was what Shippo meant by stating it was currently springtime, dismissing the name as simply inappropriate.

Inuyasha, once again, hit the nail quite squarely on the head, though he was initially inspired by his mate’s suggestion. Dropping the abbreviated “ak” to represent “bright”, the remaining “Emi” is translated also by breaking it down into its separate components, “mi” being the syllable for “beauty” while the syllable “e” alone means either “rich” or “blessed.”

Literally, the name Emi translates as “Blessed with Beauty”

As for Suishoukaze, I must give credit to this name to moonlightandmoondroproses19, who long ago, amongst a list of various names that were offered in suggestion for future offspring, included this name, though in its English form. Once I discovered its Japanese counterpart, I felt that no name could be more appropriate for Sesshoumaru’s daughter, considering the similarities in pronunciation. The second part of the name of course insists that Kagura be the mother, and at that time I gave my word that, as soon as I wrote it that Sesshoumaru and Kagura had a child, it would be a daughter, baring this name.

I’m sure 99.5% of you out there know that kaze means wind. Suishou means crystal.

I hereby present to you Sesshoumaru and Kagura’s daughter: Crystal Wind.