InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Meant To Live ❯ Chapter 1 ( Chapter 1 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
READ THIS PEOPLE AND ILL LOVE YOU!!!!!!!!!

AND YES THIS IS A LOVE STORY!!!!!!!!

Chapter 1

"Click."

"Today on the."

"Click."

"Want to lose thirty pounds in one week? Just call."

"Click."

"Find out what happens on this weeks episode of Unsolved Mysteries."

Kagome looked around her abnormally quiet house. She just got home from the last day of high school ever, because she was a senior.

But no one was home.

Not mom, not Souta, not even grandpa.

"It's 4:30 where could they be." She said out loud.

With the television blaring behind her she stood up from the couch placed in the middle of the family room dropped the remote and went into the kitchen.

She was just going to make sure that there were really no notes left behind by any one of them.

After about five minutes of searching she gave up grabbed an apple from the counter and sank her teeth into it.

Kagome didn't like being alone. It isn't that she is afraid; it's just that she grew up being around a lot of people and when suddenly she's in a situation where she's alone, it rattles her nerves.

Making her more aware of everything around her.

"Thump."

She jumped into a fighting stance, not expecting to actually here something in her house.

Looking around for a weapon the only thing she saw was the half eaten apple in her hand. Kagome started walking towards where she thought she heard it come from preparing for an attack.

(Who's going to be afraid of a teenage girl wearing blue jeans and an `I love the 80's t-shirt.') She thought to her self.

Deciding now or never she jumped the rest of the way to the hallway, which lead to the front door.

Two things happened at once.

Right when she landed two glowing eyes looked up at her and then what happened caused her to do a back flip landing on her butt back in the kitchen.

Down on the floor she heard the phone ring again. She got up and rubbed her bottom and looked over to where she saw the eyes.

She watched with a scowl as her cat big cat Buyo came around the corner and sat down at her feet.

She picked up the phone from the wall, pressed the ON button and said, "Stupid fat cat……Hello Higurashi residense."

Who was on the line would have to say something that would change her life forever.

"K-Kagome…oh gods Kagome."

She grasped the phone tight and said, "Ma-ma…ma-ma what's wrong?"

Kagome tapped her foot nervously; her mother wasn't acting like herself. With more urgency in her voice she said, "Ma-ma where are you, what happened?"

"Kagome it's…it's." Then it sounded as if the phone dropped.

The phone didn't hang up because she could here people in the back round.

A clinking noise came next then her grandpa came on, "Kagome dear, I'm afraid that Souta was in an accident and is in the South Central Hospital."

She collapsed against the wall where the phone was. Her brother was in the hospital and it didn't sound good.

"Grandpa, what happened?" She asked.

He sighed heavily. She could just picture the way his face looked right now. "Kagome he's in surgery now, they're trying to save his life."

Her senses blackened for a minute. (How could this of happened?) She pondered it in her mind over and over.

Then her grandpa started again. "Dear come to the hospital."

Just then he stopped talking to her and was talking to someone else. She could barely here what they were saying.

"Mrs. Higurashi." A mans voice said.

She heard her mother whimper out a, "Yes."

"I am her father," said Kagome's grandpa, "What is wrong with my grandson?"

"The third man said gloomily, "If you follow me to the ICU Ward I'll tell you everything there."

Her grandfather must have forgot he was talking to her because Kagome heard the phone get hung up.

And she was left listening to the dial tone.

She sank to the floor and laid her head on her knees and cried.

(Why is this happening? Why our family? Why am I still sitting here?) She thought.

With a push on the wall she stood up and ran back to the family room and grabbed her black jacket with her money in it.

Throwing it on she ran again to the front door. She slipped her sneakers on and took her keys from the table next to the door.

When she got out and slammed the door behind her. She turned around to lock it.

After the third time trying to get the key to turn she said, "Dammit, I don't have time for this!" and left the door unlocked.

She ran down the street, her house wasn't more than a block away from the bus stop.

Running with more speed than she's ever had she got to the stop just as the bus was there. Shoving her hand in her jacket pocket, she produced a dollar and shoved it in the machine.

In ten minutes, this bus would drop her off a few streets away from the hospital. She figured she would just run the rest of the way.

The whole way there she sat in her seat and said silent prayers that consisted mostly of her brother being okay, and that the bus go faster.

You wonder why the dead spread the cold……

You wonder why its never warm in a hospital……

You don't know who I am……

But I know you……

I've known you since the beginning……

And I'll be the one taking you to your end……

Come with me now you have no other choice……

It's your time now, it's yours……

Just a few more running leaps and she went bursting through the hospital entrance.

Where the receptionist's desk was placed in a noticeable location in the middle of the room. There were different locations she could have gotten into this hospital. The one she chose was the one where visitors could come and see their friends or family in the hospital.

She stopped running just as she passed the desk. On the ceiling was a sign that showed directions to anywhere in the hospital.

Kagome heard the doctor say he was in the ICU so that's the one she was looking for. Near the bottom of the sign it said ICU seventh floor.

So she was off and running to the elevators in less than a second. Getting to one just as people were leaving.

Almost slamming into the back of the elevator because she was going so fast, Kagome jumped and jammed her fist into the seventh floor button.

On this ride she would be alone.

Looking around distractedly at the small-enclosed mode of transportation, she saw a poster of a distraught man bending over in a chair holding a necklace of prayer beads crying.

The words that where under said, "Are you in debt over a loved ones death? We at Wagnall's know what you are going through…" What came after didn't matter.

She turned her head to stare at the doors; terrified at what she would be meeting up with once she was there on the seventh floor. What was on that advertisement was enough to make her heart stop completely in her chest.

The elevator was slowing down, so was her breathing. It finally stopped and a second later the doors opened.

That's when realization hit her.

Her eyes widened at the thought of actually seeing her brother in the state he might be in.

The doors coming to a close brought her back and she quickly stepped through to the floor known as the ICU.

Of course the elevator didn't open up to the exact ICU, instead it brought a person to another lobby.

Right when she walked out, a searing cold chill slivered up her spine causing her to unconsciously wrap her arms around her body for more warmth.

Again she was alone, not a sole was in this desolate place.

To the left was a door. Which unmistakably said ICU Ward.

When she walked forward the world seemed to be going in slow motion. With every echoing thump her shoes made against the floor her body was finally in front of the door.

She put her hand on the ice-cold handle and turned it. But it was locked. That's when she noticed the panel with numbers and a call button to the right of the door. Shakily with the same hand that tried to open the door she brought it over to the panel.

With delicate fingers she pushed the button. And with a nervous weak voice she said, "Heh-hello?"

Another few seconds and a quiet commanding voice said, "Yes? How may I help you?"

Kagome pushed the button again and with a little more strength she said, "My brother he…I'm here to see Souta Higurashi."

The woman came back on and Kagome heard her sigh before she said, "I'll open the door for you now."

Stepping a bit back, she heard the door click before it started to open on its own. She watched the door go past her and she could finally see inside the room.

Around the room, there were patients lined up against the ward walls.

She walked into the room and the door started to close behind her. Turning to her left she saw a nurse.

When she got to her, she almost said something to her but she saw something that quickly grabbed her attention.

Her mother was on the floor, in an upright fetal position. And from the way her body would shudder Kagome could tell she was crying.

She ran pass the nurse and fell to her knees on her mother's side.

But before she could get her mothers attention, her grandpa gently whispered, "Kagome, leave her be for now, plus there is a lot I must tell you."

Looking to her left she saw her gramps sitting in a chair pulled up right next to the bed. When she moved her eyes to the bed in question, the most horrible feeling in her entire life shredded through her heart.

Her brother was lying on the bed, but his face…his face was completely covered in bandages and his arm weren't that much better. And he had a tube down his throat, and from what she could tell the machine attached to his body by wires was keeping him alive.

She grasped her chest with her hand and nearly collapsed onto the bed. Her grandpa stood up and walked over to her and put his left arm around her back.

Turning her head in his direction she asked with a tear rolling down her pretty face, "What happened to him?"

He took a deep breath and began.

"Souta, he…he was on his way home from school when that damn neighbors dog escaped from his yard. He saw the dog and was almost to the house when it started to chase him. Now Souta is such a small boy that when the dog chased after him he didn't get much far. The dog…the dog grabbed his head and shook him like a rag doll." He stopped there for a second letting it absorb in her being.

Her hands clung to the beds blanket. She had never felt so much mental pain in her life. Her brother was hurt and she wasn't there. She bowed her head and silently cried as he continued.

"When the dog let go of his head he started to attack Souta's side breaking a few ribs and causing a few internal injuries. That's why he was in surgery. The horrible thing about this is that your mother watched the whole thing as she was hanging sheets on the clothesline. She saw how the dog went back to shacking his head and how Souta's arms went limp after the dog put his paws on his face and swiping away. Your mother finally got over her shock and chased the dog away. Then we came here."

Kagome held onto the bed with both hands now. Staring absentmindedly at her poor younger brothers face her grandpa kept going.

"After he was put in the ICU we followed the doctor here and he gave us the terrible news. He told us…he told us Souta was dying. Right now that machine next to his bed is keeping him alive. Kagome dear, he probably wont make it through the night."

And that's when the world stopped turning. She wasn't aware of where she was or what she was doing. Taking a deep breath she closed her eyes and concentrated on the here and now. Soon she could feel the presence of her grandpa still next to her hugging her close assuredly. Then she heard the heavy breathing of her mother's sobs and lastly the beeping of the life support.

She fell to her knees and completely collapsed against the bed, softly crying hoping that it would take the pain away.

I've been here since the beginning of time……

Not really dead……

Not really alive……

You can feel me when you shiver……

I can feel you when you cry……

The time had come when I wont be alone anymore……

To some in the hospital time passed slowly. But to the Higurashi family time passed increasingly faster. For this might be the last time they would ever have with the youngest member of the family.

Four-thirty turned to six, six turned to eight when finally eight turned to eleven.

Kagome was in a hospital chair on Souta's right side. With both of her hands clasped over his.

She thought to herself. (He's not the small twerp anymore. After all he is in eight grade now.) Or, she thought. (He was in the eight grade…No stop thinking like that, do not give up hope. Do not.)

Leaning her head a little ways on his pillow she began to think of happier things and happier times, in order to brighten up her mood.

Thinking like that made her body relax and she almost would have been able to fall asleep if it weren't for her grandpa coming up beside her and nudging her shoulder.

"Huh? What's going on?" she said.

He replied. "Kagome I'm taking your mother for a walk to get out of this dreary place. Seeing her son, the reflection of her dead husband almost on the verge of death himself is breaking her heart. She needs time, so stay here with Souta. We wont be gone for long."

Smiling a sad smile she nodded at him and watched as they walked away and out of the ICU.

She turned off the light above his bed and laid her head back against his pillow. Still holding his hand like it was her last right on Earth.

Kagome drifted off into a light sleep. Where you're not really asleep and you're not really awake. So she could feel how the temperature dropped from cold, to bodily numbing freezing.

She shivered involuntarily.

Which would wake her up a little more.

The jacket she wore, still adorned her torso. Letting go of his hand she tucked the flimsy blue cotton cloth better around her person.

It was so cold now that she was really wide eyed and bushy tailed. But her head was facing her brother's.

Lifting her back sitting up straight, she was about to get up and complain to the nurse about the cold when out of the corner of her right eye she saw something black. And it was moving.

Just then something started to speak, with slow languid breaths. Which made the hair stand at attention at the back of her neck.

So beautiful, but so sad……

It's time to leave her now……

Come now it's time to go……

Her eyebrows scrunched in confusion and she shook her head not understanding what the person just said.

She turned her head looking down towards the voice. She said, "What? I don't understand wha…?"

Kagome almost finished her sentence if she hadn't of looked up.

What her eyes saw her brain did not believe.

The figure was at least seven feet tall. A figure as it was called because its face was hidden by a deep black cloak. That flowed down to the supposed arm and down to the hands where in one was a sai. Downward was nothing more than the cloak finishing off at a free falling length. The end of the cloak moved like there was actual wind guiding it around.

If not for the chair under her bottom, Kagome would of went plummeting to the ground.

With her eyes wide with shock and terror the only thing she could do was stare at the being with her mouth gaping.

"Can you hear me?" It said.

Unconsciously she shook her head up and down.

"Can you see me?" It spoke again.

And like clockwork she nodded her head once more.

It walked…no glided over to where she was sitting. And she suddenly realized who this creature was in front of her.

She practically jumped on top over her brother to protect him.

Kagome spun her face at the being and spat out, "I wont let you have him."

"What is it that mean?" The voice said.

"I know what you are," she said and making a brave move she continued, "I wont let my brother be taken by the Angel of Darkness. I will die for him."

It moved closer and came almost a foot away from her.

Just then it said, "That is where you have faltered. I am not the Angel of Darkness, I am the Grim Reaper."

Her upper lip twitched and she said, "What the hell is the difference."

At that, the figure moved cloak to face and said, "I don't kill on my own free will."

She could feel it's cold breath numbing her lips. And she was totally confused by what he meant so she asked, "Then why are you here now?"

"Your sibling, it is his time to go." It said plainly.

Kagome was about to just about to slip to the floor crying when the hooded figure said with a bit of hesitation, "Or it was his time. Maybe his fate has changed because of what will surpass even the master's predictions."

Even more confused she said, "What?"

The reaper replied, "Don't you think it odd that you can see me? And even more so that you are holding a conversation with me? Yes…your brother Souta will not die tonight Kagome, destiny perceives itself."

She smiled, "Souta will live." And cried a few tears of joy. She faced the reaper and asked, "If he will live, why are you here?"

It's head turned towards the boy in question and simply said, "I had every intention of taking him to heaven tonight, but that all changed when you heard me and spoke. You see Kagome I've known you your whole life, and I've known Souta his whole life that is why I say your names so easily. Kagome you are not a normal human. You have gifts that have never been used for a purpose until today. You are the only mortal to be able to see me and that means you will be aiding me in the destruction of the Angel of Darkness herself."

"But I still don't understand." She stated.

The Grim Reaper turned back to her and answered. "Have you not noticed anything about us meeting? Instead of running and hiding, you showed great strength in protecting your own flesh and blood against me. And now you will come with me to help the unfortunate souls that are ensnared by the darkness."

What the unearthly being would say next was hard for Kagome to hear.

"I was created to keep the balance of births and deaths on this earth. I only kill what was meant to be. Right now my spirit is spread throughout the planet and is taking lives that no longer need to be here."

Kagome interrupts saying, "So why should I help you?"

"Because unlike me, The Angel of Darkness takes the lives of beings that are not meant to die, and she must be stopped. And you can stop her. You may not be able to touch her, but you can override her victims and stop what should not happen in the first place."

For the next few minutes she was silent and that is where the Grim Reaper left it by saying, "You brother is healing now, I know you do not have an answer for me yet, but when your heart makes the decision I will come get you."

It turned and started to leave but before it could she said, "The Grim Reaper can't be your name can it? Because I refuse to call you that."

"You are indeed brave Kagome," It chuckled," You may call me…Inuyasha for now."

And with that Inuyasha was gone.

So do I have any takers…on my new story?

YES IT IS A LOVE STORY BETWEEN INUYASHA AND KAGOME
ALTERNATE UNIVERSE!

PLEASE REVIEW!!!!!