InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Metacognition ❯ I ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Kagome Higurashi sat in an armchair; paper upon crumpled paper sat on her desk. She stared at her latest version of the week's homework, write a three-paragraph analysis of "A Message from the Emperor" by Franz Kafka. She turned back to her bed and re-read the short passage.
 
The Emperor, or so they say, has sent a message to you-his most contemptible subject, the miniscule shadow that has fled the farthest distance from the imperial sun-only to you has the Emperor sent a message from his death bed. He has had the messenger kneel beside his bed and he has whispered the message to him; so important was this message, that he has made him repeat it in his ear.
 
He has confirmed the accuracy of the words with a nod of his head.
 
And then, before all the spectators assembled to witness his death-every wall obstructing the view had been knocked down and on the free-standing, vaulted staircases, all the dignitaries of the empire were gathered in a circle--before them all, he has dispatched the messenger.
 
The messenger sets off at once, a strong and tireless man; sometimes thrusting ahead with one arm, sometimes with the other, he beats a path through the crowd where he meets resistance, he points to a sign of the sun on his breast, and he forges ahead with an ease that could be matched by no other.
 
But the throng is so thick, there's no end to their dwellings.
 
If only there were an open field before him, how fast he would fly; soon you would surely hear the glorious rapping of his knock on your door. But instead, how vain his efforts are: he is only forcing his way through the chambers of the innermost palace; he will never reach the end of them, and even if he did he'd be no closer; he'd have to find his way down the steps, and even if he did he'd be no closer; he would still have to cross the courtyards, and still another palace, and so on for thousands of years, and even if he did finally burst through the outermost gate-but that would never, ever happen-the empire's capital, the center of the world, flooded with the dregs of humanity, would still lie before him.
 
There is no one who could force his way through here, least of all with a message from a dead man-
 
But you sit at your window and dream it up as evening falls.
 
Kagome found the writing utterly silly, who possibly would dream of some important message being given to them? Kagome sat dreaming things up frequently, but never about some stiff wanting to give her a note before he keeled over. More often she dreamed of being with InuYasha, sitting with him at night, holding hands. Of course the idea seemed almost comically school girlish but Kagome couldn't resist, it would be something wonderful to really sit with InuYasha, tell him she loved him, maybe have him stare at her and say he loved her too, but now she dragging herself into fantasies again. Kagome turned back to what she had on paper about Kafka's piece.
 
"Mr. Kafka employs multiple ways of conveying messages without being blunt about them, he can say his opinion without letting anyone know what he thinks. Kafka possesses and provides-"
 
It cut off there, there was no point, she could not make heads or tails of the writing, what Kafka might have been saying, or for that matter, what she might have meant should she be the writer. Surrendering to the hopelessness of overcoming her confusion she walked out the door, only to be ambushed by Souta, who had managed to dress himself all in red and, from somewhere unknown, get a wig of silver-white hair. "Wind Scar!" Souta yelled at the top of his small lungs, brandishing a mop as a weapon.
 
Kagome laughed and continued downstairs, her cat, Buyo, rubbing up against her leg. The cat gave a meow and went on its way, Kagome smiling in content, what fun cats were. Kagome's assignment was due tomorrow, but she couldn't compete it, none of the story made sense, and her grades were already slipping, and there was question of whether or not she would be permitted to stay in school for another term. To be honest she didn't really care on way or the other, school was just a series of hoops to jump through, and Kagome didn't really have any particular interest in one field of study or another. The more she considered school the less appealing it seemed, and some nights she lay awake looking at the stars wondering if it wouldn't be simpler to merely drop out and go to some kind of trade school. Of course, what trade that might be she hadn't a clue. Perhaps a bit of everything, she had picked up quite a few skills that were rare in this age from her journeys to the feudal era. She could recognize herbs, start fires from scratch, find her way in the woods. Perhaps some career as a camp guide, not that she would be one to write Silent Spring or The Sand County Almanac but still, there was something uniquely enjoyable to being away from other people, or at least just with close friends.
 
Kagome walked toward the old well house, intending to pay InuYasha a visit, she hadn't any reason why save an absence of a reason not to. Ah, burden of proof, such a troublesome thing. How effective could one hope to be when they needed a solid justification for something? It was remarkable that no one had ever thought to believe that humans had evolved their physical form before their intelligence, an ape that stopped to think why he was running before doing so was a dead ape. That scientists had needed a "missing link" to shake the idea of philosopher apes was shameful, why humanists had to also be scientists was beyond her, beyond anyone she supposed. Since when had she become such a cynic? Or such a thinker? Eh, was probably just her imagination, maybe the thoughts were nothing but some extra brain activity because of something with caffeine she had eaten.
 
Kagome shrugged it off and jumped into the well.
 
InuYasha leaned against the well, wondering when Kagome would get there. Dammit there were jewel shards to be found. Of course he also enjoyed Kagome's company, but that was secondary, or at least he tried to make it so. In reality he was well aware of the nature of his feelings for Kagome, but trembled at the thought of her knowing them, so, despite the efforts of a certain demon slayer (and monk) the relationship had stagnated before it even started.
 
The sun was bright and warmed the back of InuYasha's neck through the trees. From behind approached a figure clad in the skin of a white baboon, InuYasha turned to face the intruder, unsheathing Tetsusaiga, but lowering the blade when it became apparent that the figure beneath the cloak was not who he had expected
 
Relief quickly gave way to irritation. "Sango, what the hell are you doing in that baboon skin? You nearly gave me a heart attack, though I wouldn't have minded finishing Naraku off now." InuYasha added quickly so as not to give the impression he had been frightened, though of course, he was.
 
Sango giggled, "isn't it wonderful? I got it off one of Naraku's demon puppets, feel the fur, it's so smooth and silky." Inuyasha rolled his eyes, Sango laughed again.
 
It was at this point that Kagome emerged from the well. After shifting the backpack off her shoulders and onto the ground she looked around to see which of her friends were present. Inuyasha, Sango-who for some reason was dressed up as Naraku- Shippou had already attached himself to Kagome's leg and was climbing up to perch on her shoulder.
 
"'Bout damn time you got back." Which was, as they all knew, Inuyasha's version of "I'm glad to see you again." Though the meaning was understood Kagome still felt an understandable level of irritation. She heaved a sigh and rolled her eyes, she considered sitting him, but decided to wait to see if he would make another chafing remark before punishing him.
 
She now turned her attention to Sango, still in the baboon pelt. She stared at it for a while before Sango recognized her confusion, "I took it from one of Naraku's demon puppets." Feel it! Kagome obeyed. Kagome surpressed a squeal of delight at the feel of it, it was like her cat when he was just a kitten and had soft, silky fur. Kagome chuckled "lucky, I want one!" Sango laughed again.
 
Inuyasha opened his mouth to speak "Pfft Y-"
 
"Sit!" Kagome smiled at the familiar thump produced as Inuyasha hit the ground.
 
Inuyasha lay on the ground for several moments, then got up, muttering to himself.
 
Kagome grinned and, though she could not find particular reason, sat him again just as he had gotten onto his feet. Probably to pre-empt his next remark, yes, that was why she did it.
 
"You bit-"
 
"Sit"
 
Sango gave Kagome a puzzled glance, usually Kagome wasn't so inclined to sit Inuyasha and would rarely sit him for minor offenses, and what he had been sat for when he was getting up she hadn't a clue.
 
Inuyasha had brought himself to his feet again "what the hell was tha-"
 
"Sit" he fell again, Kagome giggled, the cycle might have continued but- much to Inuyasha's relief- Miroku approached from the nearby village.
 
"Sango, Kagome I was aiding a young woman in the village with gathering wat-" he cut off his sentence at the look he recieved from the pair and started again "yes, I- one of the villagers that is, has heard rumors of a jewel shar- what did Inuyasha do?" Upon seeing the multiple craters left in the ground curiousity seized him and his mind strayed from the news he intended to deliver.
 
"He annoyed me."
 
"He annoyed you? Isn't that a bit harsh?" Miroku asked. Sango nodded her agreement.
 
"Maybe, but he really was irritating at the time," Kagome tried to justify her actions to the others, but even to her the explanation came up short.
 
"Hmmm" Sango frowned but did not comment.
 
Kagome sighed, shook her head and walked towards Kaede's village.