InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Metamorphosis ❯ A Birthday to Remember ( Chapter 52 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]
Disclaimer: I don’t own Inuyasha or any of the publicly known characters, plot, etc.  I’m just renting them from Rumiko Takahashi, Viz, etc.   I do own the plot of this story and any original characters I’ve created.  I will make no money from this fic; I write for my own enjoyment and the enjoyment of my readers.


A Birthday to Remember


Inuyasha vaulted down the stairs, intent on making use of the small window of time he had been presented with.  He heard Kagome turn on the shower, and though a normally influential part of him wanted to join her, he knew he had to take advantage of this opportunity to speak with her mother in private.  Souta was at school and the old man was somewhere on the shrine grounds; who knew when such a chance would come again?  

And he was as ready as he was ever going to be; a mostly-sleepless night had given him plenty of time to think about what he was going to say.  He had also imagined several different scenarios concerning how Mrs. Higurashi would react, some more appealing than others.  If he was being optimistic, Kagome’s mother would give them her blessing.  If not…well, that was all hypothetical.  He only hoped he had proven himself worthy of Kagome’s hand in the eyes of her family.  

He found Mrs. Higurashi seated at the kitchen table reading the newspaper and sipping a mug of sweet-smelling tea.  She looked up and smiled when she noticed him, motioning to the chair opposite her.  

“Would you like some tea, Inuyasha?”  

“N-no,” he stuttered, nevertheless taking the offered seat.  He rubbed his hands together nervously, staring intently at the tabletop as his jaw worked silently.  So much for knowing what to say.  Mrs. Higurashi returned to reading, though her eyes did not comprehend the words on the page.  She was merely giving the anxious young man a moment to compose himself, to gather his thoughts and voice whatever question plagued his mind.  She, like her daughter, understood how to make the shy hanyou comfortable.  

“H-Higurashi-san?” he said finally.  

“Yes?” she replied, folding the paper and granting Inuyasha her full attention.  

“Uh…do you…do you think Kagome wants to get married?”  

Mrs. Higurashi’s eyes widened slightly; she instantly realized where this was going.  She was not surprised Inuyasha hadn’t come right out with the question she knew would be coming later.  Did she approve of the caring, but at times brash and impulsive hanyou marrying her daughter?  A few short months ago, the answer would have been a resounding no.  But in the time since his humble return from the past, Inuyasha had reminded her of why she allowed Kagome to journey to the feudal era with him in the first place.  Beneath the tough, surly exterior, beyond the mind that was not quite as mature as his body, there was a warm, compassionate heart.  He had made his feelings abundantly clear; he loved Kagome with every measure of that heart.  And she loved him in return.  Fading reservations derived from a colossal, but singular, mistake could not erase that powerful truth.  Mrs. Higurashi had her answer.  

But Inuyasha had not asked that particular question yet, she remembered.  What had he asked?  Oh, yes, whether she thought Kagome wanted to marry him.  She grinned inwardly as her mind took her back to that brief discussion in her daughter’s bedroom.  “I just…don’t want to force him into anything he doesn’t want,” Kagome had said.  See, Kagome?  I was right!  He wanted to marry you; he just didn’t know it yet.  And since Inuyasha had brought it up, she wouldn’t be breaking her promise by speaking with him about it.  But she also wasn’t about to betray her daughter’s trust by relating information which was obviously intended to be kept confidential.  

“Hmmm,” she replied, putting her finger to her chin, pretending to be deep in thought.  “I would assume so.  She hasn’t told me anything to the contrary.”  That was a lie, or perhaps not.  Kagome might have an idiotic reason for not bringing up the subject, but it was obvious that deep down she did wish for it.  “Why do you ask?”  Mrs. Higurashi didn’t relish the role of playing dumb, but felt it was necessary.  She needed to hear Inuyasha speak the words almost as much as he needed to voice them.  

“Because…because I’m going to ask her to marry me.”  He spoke with conviction, the statement an ultimatum rather than a query.  In essence, it said ‘I would like your approval, but I’m going to ask her with or without it.’  Far from putting Mrs. Higurashi off, the older woman was glad for his firmness; it showed his devotion to Kagome above all others.  It also took a great deal of strength, as her late husband could attest.  Yes, she knew a little something about marrying without family approval.  It was a daunting prospect, but ultimately the only people who should have any say in the decision were the two individuals in love.  She considered informing the parents of the potential bride beforehand a mere courtesy.  She was glad Inuyasha had come to her first, but she would not have been too upset if he had not.  

She looked at him, meeting his serious, determined gaze.  He was nervous but not about to back down, and she smiled softly at him.  

“Then you have my blessing.”  

He blinked once, his expression morphing into one of gratitude.  Then, with a curt nod, he rose from the table and began walking out of the kitchen.  

“Where are you going, Inuyasha?!” Mrs. Higurashi exclaimed, stopping him in his tracks.  He glanced at her in confusion, wondering if he’d misunderstood.  

“I’m going to ask her,” he stated, as if it was the most obvious thing in the world.  Mrs. Higurashi barely resisted the urge to smack herself in the forehead.  

“You were going to propose while she’s dripping wet and wearing nothing but a towel?” she posed incredulously.  

“I was gonna wait until she was dressed,” Inuyasha mumbled defensively.  Mrs. Higurashi frowned, but reminded herself that this young man was not from the modern era.  And from some of the stories Kagome had told her, he didn’t always have the best grasp on abstract concepts such as ‘romance’ and ‘mood.’  Oh, but he would learn.  

“Inuyasha, do you want to make your proposal special for Kagome?”  

“Yes,” he replied, genuinely perplexed.  How did one make it special?  Miroku had never done anything with Sango except sit down and talk about it with her.  

“Do you want it to be something she’ll remember for the rest of her life?”

“Yes!”  

“Then let me help you.  Today’s wedding customs are very different from anything you’ve seen, I’m sure.”  

Inuyasha sat down again while Kagome’s mother explained.  The shower was still on, so they had a few more minutes at least.  Mrs. Higurashi first described the different kinds of ceremonies they could have, then told him not to worry about that until later.  She went on to inform him of the actual manner in which the man was supposed to propose, and some of the variations one could employ on that.  Getting down on one knee sounded fine to Inuyasha; he didn’t want to do anything crazy.  He was also told that one didn’t just propose out of the blue; it had to be in a romantic setting with something called ‘mood.’  He kind of understood that, and seemed to remember Kagome babbling about something similar concerning Miroku and Sango awhile back.  He was glad Mrs. Higurashi had stopped him; he was sure he could do better than Kagome’s bedroom.  Then her mother began explaining the strangest custom of all, at least to him—the exchange of rings.  

“Rings are a visible symbol of the commitment the two people have made to each other,” she said in response to his quizzical look.  He nodded, at least partially understanding the importance of such a physical representation of the relationship in human society.  “The man usually presents the woman with an engagement ring when he proposes, although I’ve heard that tradition had gotten less popular recently.  Later the couple will go pick out a ring for him, or matching wedding bands.”  

“Alright, so how do I get an en-gauge-ment ring?”  

Mrs. Higurashi grimaced slightly.  “You have to buy one at a jewelry store.  Unfortunately, they can get very expensive.  I’m not a wealthy woman, Inuyasha.  I’m sorry, but I can’t afford to spend hundreds of thousands of yen on an engagement ring.  Although, Kagome’s college fund is free now.  I was going to combine it with Souta’s, which is currently pretty small.  But if you really wanted a ring, I think we could pay for it.  Souta will have to take out more student loans, but—”

“No, if it’s that expensive I don’t think Kagome would want one.  She’s not selfish.  Besides, the man is usually supposed to pay for the ring, right?”  

“Well, yes, under normal circumstances.  But you don’t have any money.”  

“Another reason why I don’t need one.  What about your ‘matching wedding band’ idea?  Are those expensive?”  

“They can be, but you can get nice ones at a much lower price than a nice engagement ring.  Usually they’re made of a precious metal like gold, whereas engagement rings will have diamonds in them.  Not the most practical thing to have in the feudal era, come to think of it.  It’s pretty easy to lose a stone if you’re not careful.”

“Okay…can we get matching gold bands then?”  

“Sure,” Mrs. Higurashi replied, pleased with his choice.  She knew Kagome would enjoy picking them out with him.  Still, she felt guilty that she had brought up money in the first place.  The sad truth was that she really couldn’t afford a big expense like that, but maybe there was another way to at least make that moment as special as it could be.  She stared at her own engagement ring, twisting it around on her finger.  She had never removed it, but perhaps for this one occasion…  Or could she part with it permanently in lieu of buying a new one for Kagome?

“Keep your ring, Higurashi-san,” Inuyasha said, having accurately discerned her thoughts.  “Kagome won’t be impressed by something shiny like a fancy ring.  She’d feel bad if you gave up yours or spent lots of money on one.  Something simple the two of us can wear will be fine.  A symbol that we’re bonded in the human sense, like you said.”  

“You certainly know my daughter,” she answered, the truth of his words apparent.  

“Keh.  I’d hope so, at this point.”  

“The three of us can go pick out the bands whenever you want.  Just let me know.”  

Inuyasha nodded gratefully once again, and the pair settled into silence.  Kagome was just exiting the bathroom, so to say any more was risky.  The rest of the morning passed peacefully, with Kagome never suspecting what was in the works.  Inuyasha did quietly wish her a happy birthday while they were lounging on the couch after breakfast.  He was pleased to see Kagome so surprised; there was no way she expected a present from him.  It would make her reaction tonight all the sweeter.  

Later, Mrs. Higurashi shooed them out of the house and told them to go see a movie.  She gave Kagome enough money for lunch as well.  Inuyasha didn’t really understand what was going on in the movie, but he enjoyed it nevertheless.  It was nice to do something he’d never done before. Having fun with Kagome in her time was also a definite plus; she probably didn’t get to do nearly enough of that.  Nor would she, with the impending renewal of their quest to restore the Shikon no Tama.  He couldn’t remember the last time he smiled so much, and he didn’t know if he had ever been so carefree.  It was easy to forget about the unseen enemies lurking in the shadows when he was with Kagome.  Even though she had proven capable of taking care of herself, he still felt better if he was there to protect her, or at least back her up.  They had always fought better together than they ever did separately, something which had become even more apparent after her hanyou metamorphosis, especially in the final battle against Naraku.  

Kagome’s whole family was there to greet them when they returned, a birthday celebration having already been prepared.  Kagome was not surprised at this; instead, Inuyasha sensed only happiness and perhaps a little embarrassment.  He promptly wolfed down his piece of the cake, though he did manage to do so without looking like a slob.  His manners had certainly improved over the past couple years, Kagome reflected.  Her mother caught him hungrily eying the last piece, so she offered it to him, and he scarfed that too.  

“Next time I’ll have to make a bigger cake!” she exclaimed with a chuckle.  

Presents were given out next.  Kagome’s grandfather gave her what looked like a mummified fish, which she promptly handed to Buyo, much to the old man’s dismay.  Then he surprised her by presenting her with something that wasn’t some kind of charm.  It was a black headband, she discovered upon pulling it out of the gift bag.  She thanked him and was about to put it aside when he told her to try it on.  When she did, she learned that it was no ordinary headband, despite its appearance to the contrary.  Over time, she had grown used to hiding her ears in such a manner, the discomfort of pressing them down muted with repetition.  But this one seemed to contain hidden compartments for her sensitive appendages.  They couldn’t stand erect, obviously, but it was still much more comfortable than what she had been wearing.  

“Wow, Jii-chan, that’s great!  Thank you so much.”  

“Hmph,” the old man replied, crossing his arms over his chest, which puffed up with pride.  “I had that custom made for you, and the people were difficult, let me tell you.  I had to tell them you had some obscure disease that made you grow horns on the top of your head.”  

Kagome chuckled at that.  “I guess you’ve had some practice with making up illnesses for me.  Thank you for going to all that trouble.”  

“Yes, yes.  Just make sure you come back here and use that thing once in awhile.”  

Next, Mrs. Higurashi handed Kagome a large box wrapped in paper, sending Inuyasha a wink as she did so.  Inside was a double-wide sleeping bag made for two, which both hanyou were grateful for.  They had made do with her old one, but it was a bit snug.  Souta’s present was more tame—a gift card to one of her favorite clothing stores.  In the accompanying birthday card, he had written, ‘You’re hard to shop for, sis.’  It was true, she admitted.  She appreciated the thought, and would have to pick out something nice.  Maybe a sexy negligee for Inuyasha.  Would it be alright for her to use her little brother’s gift money to buy something like that?  

As she was pondering that quandary, Souta, the devious little imp that he was, handed her a small box pulled from behind his back.  Kagome knew she was in trouble from the mischievous expression which he tried to hide.  He burst into laughter as she pulled out the object.  

“Well, you are a cat hanyou, right?” he asked her when his mirth died down.  

“Oh, so you expect me to play with a mouse toy?”  

“Not just any mouse toy.  Give it a squeeze and take a sniff.”  

Kagome narrowed her eyes, immediately suspicious.  But since she didn’t want to be called a coward, she lifted the toy to her nose and pressed its sides inward.  She gasped, and Inuyasha watched as her eyes glazed over, becoming unfocused.  She squeezed the toy again, savoring another hit of the catnip.  A sigh escaped her as she leaned back in her chair, holding the toy lovingly against her bosom.  

Souta was by this time literally rolling on the floor, unable to compose himself, and his mother and grandfather were also chuckling quietly.  Inuyasha snickered to himself until a new, entirely different scent wafted through the air.  His head shot up in alarm; Kagome was gazing at him, a lustful fire blazing in her eyes.  Inuyasha gulped, recognizing that look.  And in her inebriated state, the presence of her family wouldn’t stop her from pouncing on him like a tigress in heat.  It was time to go.  

He bolted out of the kitchen, his ravenous mate hot on his heels.  He made it to the well house before she tackled him, their combined momentum carrying them into the portal.  Fortunately, his back came to rest on the dirt at the bottom of the other side before she began tearing his clothes off.  Neither of them would be able to look at the bone-eater’s well quite the same ever again.  

When they returned an hour later, a certain degree of embarrassment was shared by all, especially Souta.  Apparently, he had not considered all the possible effects of catnip when planning his little joke.  But no one was angry with him, for who could have predicted that Kagome would react so…intensely?  As for the mouse, it had mysteriously vanished, seemingly dropped on the mad dash to the well.  What they didn’t know was that Inuyasha had surreptitiously picked it up on their return.  Oh, yes, that little thing was worth holding on to.  He would have to ask Souta where he had gotten it.  

By then it was early evening, and Inuyasha suggested they go to the feudal era for awhile.  Perhaps a little too anxiously, judging by the bewildered look Kagome sent him.  She asked him why they should go to the past tonight rather than spend her birthday with her family, a reasonable question.  Inuyasha could think of several equally reasonable answers, none of which he could tell her, and some of which didn’t involve him directly.  Fortunately, Mrs. Higurashi came to his aid again, ushering Kagome out the door and telling her to have fun with her friends.  She favored him with a meaningful look as they departed, one which said ‘don’t mess up or chicken out.’  The latter didn’t worry him; he was no coward.  But him screwing it up was well within the realm of possibility, as shown by his track record with verbally expressing himself.  Hopefully he could avoid tasting his own foot this time.  

One of the reasons they needed to return to the past became clear immediately after they entered Sango and Miroku’s home, where a second surprise party awaited them.  Kagome was genuinely amazed, and humbled to the point of tears.  That her friends would go out of their way to celebrate a truly foreign holiday for her meant a lot.  Of course, her appreciation melted into amused embarrassment after Miroku presented his gift.  It looked like a normal sutra, folded in half, but sparks shot noisily from it when she opened it.  She quickly folded it again, and it became dormant once more.  

“It is a warning sutra,” the monk explained.  “When unfolded, it will crackle if anyone with a full-blooded youkai aura comes close.  Just in case your senses are…otherwise engaged,” he finished, waggling his eyebrows and receiving a light cuff on the head from Inuyasha for it.  But the hanyou could admit that the sutra might turn out to be useful.  That is, if they remembered to use it, a fairly sizeable ‘if.’  

Sango’s gift was much less eccentric: a new quiver for Kagome’s arrows.  Or at least, that’s what the miko thought upon first glance.  It was actually her old quiver, newly restored, the cracks all repaired, and a fresh coat of paint covering both the exterior and interior.  

“It’s beautiful, Sango-chan,” Kagome observed, marveling at the flawless work of art.  “I’ll feel bad taking it into battle!”

Speaking of works of art, Shippou gave her a drawing of her and Inuyasha running through the forest.  It was clear he’d been practicing; gone were the days of cartoonish cats, dogs, and wolves fighting in backgrounds of messy crayon.  This work was obviously done by a child, but one who was well on his way to mastering his craft.  The landscape was as detailed as it was delightful, and it was almost as if Shippou had copied the images of her and Inuyasha from a photograph.  To top it off, when one ran his or her finger along the left edge of the drawing, the figures moved so she and Inuyasha really were running through the forest.  An impressive bit of kitsune magic, Kagome proclaimed.  With no one to teach him the ways of his kind, it appeared Shippou was figuring some things out on his own.  

Finally, Kaede presented Kagome with a small container of lip rouge, ostensibly because “an old woman has no need for such a thing.”  But between the old miko and Inuyasha, understanding sparked.  They were the only two people alive who knew that the hanyou had given Kikyou his mother’s rouge fifty years ago.  The message was clear.  Ye must never forget my sister, Inuyasha.  But now that ye have chosen Kagome, ye must give her your heart.  You are always welcome here, and I would be honored to have Kagome take my and my sister’s place as village miko, as she has already taken Kikyou’s place by your side.  

Inuyasha pulled Kagome out of there immediately after dinner, but this time she didn’t question his motive for the sudden departure.  She was surprised, however, when instead of leaping into the well he turned and led her to Goshinboku.  He rummaged around the base of the trunk for a few seconds, and Kagome was about to ask him what he was doing when he stood and faced her.  

She gasped.  In his upturned hands rested a small object, glistening in the last rays of the setting sun.  She had seen hundreds, perhaps thousands like it before, courtesy of Inuyasha’s Kongousouha.  But this shard of adamant was different, for it had been altered.  Gingerly she picked it up, seeking a closer look.  What she saw astounded her.  Inside the adamant there were pictures, each clearly visible from a different side of the shard.  There were four in total, one of each of the individual members of her family, and one a group shot, with all four Higurashis smiling brightly together.  She recognized it as the photo a kind stranger had taken of them at the beach last summer.  

“Your mom helped me with the pictures,” Inuyasha was saying, and she turned her dazed eyes to him.  “Miroku helped me put it together with a spell.  Hopefully the pictures will be safe from nature and will last a long time.  I’ll make you a wooden stand so you can display it somewhere…”  

He was speaking quickly, Kagome realized.  Too quickly, as though he was rushing his speech for some reason.  Blinking the stupor away, she saw the evidence of his nervousness.  It was no wonder; she had probably been staring without saying anything for a few minutes.  

“It’s…it’s…” she tried, failing to find an adequate word.  But Inuyasha’s relieved smile told her he knew that was a good thing.  “Why?” she asked simply, genuinely curious.  

“In case something happens with the well when the jewel is purified,” he said softly.  “If…if the well is sealed, I wanted you to be able to see your family.”  

Kagome’s eyes melted at his quiet admission.  Such a thoughtful gift; it made her want to take him in her arms and show him how much she appreciated it.  But when she moved to embrace him, he stumbled back, holding his hands up in a pleading gesture.  To stay away.  Kagome dropped her arms to her sides, confused and more than a little hurt.  Inuyasha shook his head, trying to convey to her that nothing was wrong.  There was simply one more thing he needed to do before he permitted himself the privilege of holding her.  

“Kagome,” he uttered, his lips and tongue nearly paralyzed by the magnitude of the moment.  He gazed into her eyes, saw the uncertainty, the uncertainty he had created.  He could kick himself.  But he also saw trust, and the love that gave him the courage and the strength to carry on.  He tried to remember what Mrs. Higurashi had told him, but gave up.  What did it matter?  He had always done things his own way, and he was too lost in the moment to attempt to change now.  

He took both her hands and held them tentatively against his chest in a gesture unwittingly similar to one a certain wolf-youkai used to perform.  But there was no teasing, no pride, no arrogance in Inuyasha’s expression.  This was a man prepared to surrender himself, offer himself up to a woman whose answer could mean his life or death.  For awhile, neither spoke.  But because he saw her answer in those gorgeous brown eyes, Inuyasha found the strength to speak the words.  

“Kagome, will you marry me?”  

Kagome’s shocked gasp reverberated through the forest.  She wobbled on her feet, nearly losing her balance.  Never in a million years had she expected those words to pass his lips.  “Kagome, will you marry me?”  Her first thought was one of exultation, swiftly weighed down and crushed by logic and reason, a memory of a decision made long ago and not questioned since.  She wondered who had put him up to this.  Mama?  Miroku?  Sango?  It didn’t matter.  The desperation she sensed from Inuyasha must surely be false.  Her despair was making her see things that weren’t there.  

“I…don’t think so,” she mumbled, nearly choking on the horrible words.  

Inuyasha abruptly dropped her hands, taking several steps back.  His eyes were wide with panic.  He had misread her, misjudged…everything.  Was the timing not right?  Was it too soon?  Did she really not want to marry him?  Ever?  The old compulsion rose within him, the urge to flee when faced with emotional anguish, something which could destroy him.  His frozen heart beat rapidly again, though whether it would fuel his retreat or burst from his chest and explode, he knew not.  

“Wait, Inuyasha!” Kagome called out, reaching for him.  Her voice was tainted with fear, her teeth chewing into her lower lip with doubt.  His reaction had been a slap in the face, a forceful realization of something which flooded her mind with guilt.  Perhaps she had been wrong.  The misery in his features was real, even if the desperation had not been.  She could smack herself.  She could at least explain, try to remove the hurt, the hurt she had created.  

“Inuyasha, it’s not…it’s not that I don’t want to marry you.  It’s, well, I know you don’t really want to get married.”  

Inuyasha’s mind slowed to a crawl.  “Inuyasha, it’s not…it’s not that I don’t want to marry you.”  Red hot anger exploded inside his skull.  Then why, Kagome?!  Why did you scare me like that?!  Why did you nearly kill me?!  He wanted to yell, to rage against her for her stupidity.  His heart was no longer beating; it was humming, like a bee’s wings.  But somehow he held himself back, allowing his fury to bleed away as the red cleared from his vision.  Relief flowed through him like a cooling wave.  He hadn’t misread her, not really.  She did want to marry him, but for some stupid, moronic reason, she had told him no.  He didn’t open his mouth until he was certain he could calmly ascertain what that reason was.  

“What makes you think I don’t really want to get married?” he asked, repeating her words with no lack of irritation.  

Kagome cringed; this was not going to be easy.  Inuyasha was nothing if not stubborn.  But she knew him, knew his history, and knew his heart.  His heart has changed, another part of her argued, but she ignored it.  She would convince Inuyasha that he didn’t truly want this, that he was only doing it for her, to make her happy.  Then she would convince him that she was already happy, that getting married would do nothing.  And later, in the privacy of her own mind, she would convince herself.  

Inuyasha snarled impatiently; apparently, she had been silent for too long.  “I know what you’re thinking, Kagome, and it’s a load of crap!  Don’t fucking tell me what I want and don’t want.  I want this.  I’m hanyou!  That means I’m half youkai and half…human,” he trailed off, his voice lowering, becoming tranquil.  He took a deep breath; what he was about to say could not be yelled.  

“Dammit, Kagome,” he began, more out of frustration than anything else.  “I want to marry you, I really do.  We’re already joined in the youkai sense, and I don’t see any reason why we shouldn’t be joined as humans too.”  

For a long while, Kagome said nothing.  She studied him, the sincerity of his face, the resolve in his eyes, recalling the certainty in his voice.  He meant it.  He meant every word.  She felt like such a fool.  Hot tears welled in her eyes, and she lowered them to the ground.  

“Ask me again,” she pleaded, not knowing what else to do.  How could she say ‘yes’ now, unless the question was posed over again?  

Inuyasha growled, a playful sound, the irritation artificial.  Perhaps it was the remnants of the very real irritation still clouding his mind that caused him to bring his foot so close to his mouth.  

“Hell no!  I said it once; I shouldn’t have to say it again.  You just give me your ans—oomph!”

And then he said nothing at all; the mouth ravishing his own would not allow it, nor the body draped tenaciously atop his own.  And for the second time that day, Inuyasha allowed himself to be dominated, to be possessed completely by the woman he loved.  For it was in that ownership that he possessed all of her in return.  They made love, the waxing moon bearing witness to an act in which human, youkai, and hanyou came together, two whole beings merging into one.  And for those two, this night became one they would never forget.  


A/N – The catnip mouse toy idea was sent to me by Deathmvp.  Once I did some research on the possible effects of catnip (because I’ve never owned a cat), I saw a perfect opportunity for some sexy comedy.  I hope this chapter doesn’t feel rushed.  I tried to cut down on my usual wordiness, even in the really important parts.  In the beginning, I think I was stretching chapters, writing with a more drawn out and leisurely style.  I can’t believe I was worried about the story being too short back then, LOL.  
Converting /tmp/phpONFkkf to /dev/stdout